Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's just like watching Rochdale ... 20:50 - Jun 19 with 9214 viewslove_the_dale

Playing well, but every deflection goes to the opposition!

Uruguayan captain's foul on Sturridge was a yellow card - why do refs apply the laws differently when someone already has a yellow?!

Two great efforts from Rooney.

Suarez - who else?!
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 22:59 - Jun 19 with 2778 viewsMrsDalesDiary

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 22:45 - Jun 19 by TVOS1907

Gary, Phil or Neville?

Tracey!
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 23:02 - Jun 19 with 2773 viewsMasher

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 22:54 - Jun 19 by love_the_dale

It's just like when Rochdale have lost 2 or 3 - some people moaning and looking at the negatives, others supporting and looking for the positives :) Heads for cover :)

As far as the national team is concerned there are always positives with this current squad and some of the ones before, but positives are useless unless they can actually score more goals than the opposition

Up The Dale!!

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 23:08 - Jun 19 with 2754 viewslove_the_dale

One wonders how we got to the finals :)
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 23:34 - Jun 19 with 2714 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Gary, Phil or Neville?

None.....the ugly sister.
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 23:40 - Jun 19 with 2698 viewsD_Alien

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 23:34 - Jun 19 by Yorkshire_Dale

None.....the ugly sister.

It's in the Neville DNA

You can see why Scholesy left the international arena early

[Post edited 19 Jun 2014 23:41]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 00:14 - Jun 20 with 2655 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Gary, Phil or Neville?

Staple
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 01:22 - Jun 20 with 2637 viewsolympicdale

What summed up Uruguay tonight, was their defender who looked to be knocked unconscious, he was incensed when asked to come off, stayed on and completed the match, I would love any of my players, for any team I support to want to play that badly, true mental strength!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 1:26]

Life is a game of fate.

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 06:00 - Jun 20 with 2599 viewsDiddyDave

Why are England always so average when it comes to the World Cup/European Nations? They always look so tired,jaded,don`t wanna be there,which,after ten months of club football is understandable I guess. But it seems everybody else,who also play the same amount of domestic football,seem so keen and up for it (look at the Germans)? It almost seems they may as well not bother qualifying,performances are always so poor. No doubt more grist for the mill for Greg Dyke to spout forth more tripe for the current Premier League set up. But as I`ve said before,do we English really care? Speaking for myself,I`m always more interested in the bread and butter Saturday club football,England matches just a pain in the arse whenever one comes around. Anyway,I won`t be losing any sleep that we`re gone,roll on August 9th.
Login to get fewer ads

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 08:25 - Jun 20 with 2526 viewsKenBoon

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 22:57 - Jun 19 by nordenblue

Why, is playing in the premier league a prerequisite for being genuinely world class?Next you'll be telling us all its the best league in the world too,biggest cash cow yes best league not a prayer

Agree with it being a cash cow, but the teams are very competitive in the champions league (higher class than World Cup) and other epl players will do very well at the World Cup. So on that basis it's a very high standard of soccer.
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 08:30 - Jun 20 with 2514 viewsKenBoon

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 01:22 - Jun 20 by olympicdale

What summed up Uruguay tonight, was their defender who looked to be knocked unconscious, he was incensed when asked to come off, stayed on and completed the match, I would love any of my players, for any team I support to want to play that badly, true mental strength!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 1:26]

I couldn't disagree more. It's absolutly disgraceful that his doctors allowed him to continue. When will Football treat head injuries seriously? He shouldn't play the next match either. A full investigation needs to take place as to how - at the World Cup - this can happen.
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 08:41 - Jun 20 with 2507 viewsdingdangblue

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 21:56 - Jun 19 by 442Dale

Tyldesley should be sent home for saying that the only difference was Suarez. They had a football team who all knew their roles and how their abilities would be best utilised within that structure, we had a set of footballers playing a game of dinosauric proportions.

Ultimately he is correct though. However you analyse possession, shape of team, movement or talk about tactics - the game is made up of moments. Suarez had 2 moments in that game and he buried them both. England - however poorly everyone thinks we played - had more than enough moments to win. Rooney freekick, header against bar, Godin's foul on Sturridge, Rooney shot saved when he should've buried it and his goal. After controlling the game from 50mins onwards and creating all the best chances it was cruel to lose it to such a basic goal when we'd done so well to get it back.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 09:31 - Jun 20 with 2478 viewsMass_Debater

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 22:54 - Jun 19 by love_the_dale

It's just like when Rochdale have lost 2 or 3 - some people moaning and looking at the negatives, others supporting and looking for the positives :) Heads for cover :)

Your OP was looking at negatives.

Watching England isn't anything at all like watching Rochdale. We won promotion two months ago for example.
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 09:33 - Jun 20 with 2475 viewsMass_Debater

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 08:25 - Jun 20 by KenBoon

Agree with it being a cash cow, but the teams are very competitive in the champions league (higher class than World Cup) and other epl players will do very well at the World Cup. So on that basis it's a very high standard of soccer.

epl?
soccer?

Speak English man.
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 09:44 - Jun 20 with 2465 views49thseason

The real question that needs answering is how are Belgium, Holland, Australia, Uraguay and many other smaller countries than England able to produce such technically competent, motivated and tactically aware players when we apparently produce so few?

Which ever way you look at it the organisation of football throughout England is shambolic, There are preciously few adequate pitches for junior / amateur football, practically none in schools, little or no competitive football in schools, 100s of well meaning amateur clubs with 1000s of kids but too few qualified coaches and desperate for the cash to ensure surfaces are useable and free of dog sh1te. Even some of our professional clubs lack adequate training pitches / facilities.. Bowlee anyone?

Even our universities continue to undervalue the place of sport in society, leaving it to students to self organise and fund themselves - compare that with the USA where university sport is deadly serious and funded appropriately.

Like almost everything in this country, the men in blazers will not commit the resources that will ensure a winning outcome, "it was good enough in my day" does not wash. But when "your day" was played out on the manicured fields of an independent school rather than Lenny Barn I guess its difficult to see the problem.

Approximately £230m a year of lottery funding is spent on sport, thats less than a fiver a head, grass pitches now cost over £1000 a season to rent. As a nation, we are becoming increasingly fat, we moan at kids stuck on computers, yet we continue to under-invest in the basic facilities that could solve so many problems... and might ultimately provide us with national teams that would restore some pride.

Every school should have an all weather G3 / G4 pitch, Every town should have a large expanse of flat, dog-free grass pitches available at low rent, every teacher should be expected to run competitive sports events and should carry a coaching qualification or referees badge.

Not only would an emphasis on sport go a long way to solve many of of our national problems, it is a proven fact that sport and academic performance are related. What's the point of being the 6th or 7th richest nation on earth if we continue to believe that being amateurish at practically everything is an acceptable way to do things? Is there anyone besides me who thinks spending £50B on sport would be a better investment than a new trainline designed to cut a few minutes of the trip to London?
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 09:51 - Jun 20 with 2459 viewsfunkkk

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 09:44 - Jun 20 by 49thseason

The real question that needs answering is how are Belgium, Holland, Australia, Uraguay and many other smaller countries than England able to produce such technically competent, motivated and tactically aware players when we apparently produce so few?

Which ever way you look at it the organisation of football throughout England is shambolic, There are preciously few adequate pitches for junior / amateur football, practically none in schools, little or no competitive football in schools, 100s of well meaning amateur clubs with 1000s of kids but too few qualified coaches and desperate for the cash to ensure surfaces are useable and free of dog sh1te. Even some of our professional clubs lack adequate training pitches / facilities.. Bowlee anyone?

Even our universities continue to undervalue the place of sport in society, leaving it to students to self organise and fund themselves - compare that with the USA where university sport is deadly serious and funded appropriately.

Like almost everything in this country, the men in blazers will not commit the resources that will ensure a winning outcome, "it was good enough in my day" does not wash. But when "your day" was played out on the manicured fields of an independent school rather than Lenny Barn I guess its difficult to see the problem.

Approximately £230m a year of lottery funding is spent on sport, thats less than a fiver a head, grass pitches now cost over £1000 a season to rent. As a nation, we are becoming increasingly fat, we moan at kids stuck on computers, yet we continue to under-invest in the basic facilities that could solve so many problems... and might ultimately provide us with national teams that would restore some pride.

Every school should have an all weather G3 / G4 pitch, Every town should have a large expanse of flat, dog-free grass pitches available at low rent, every teacher should be expected to run competitive sports events and should carry a coaching qualification or referees badge.

Not only would an emphasis on sport go a long way to solve many of of our national problems, it is a proven fact that sport and academic performance are related. What's the point of being the 6th or 7th richest nation on earth if we continue to believe that being amateurish at practically everything is an acceptable way to do things? Is there anyone besides me who thinks spending £50B on sport would be a better investment than a new trainline designed to cut a few minutes of the trip to London?

Some interesting points though the only nation in your list who consistently match your criteria is Holland.
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 10:49 - Jun 20 with 2440 viewsolympicdale

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 08:30 - Jun 20 by KenBoon

I couldn't disagree more. It's absolutly disgraceful that his doctors allowed him to continue. When will Football treat head injuries seriously? He shouldn't play the next match either. A full investigation needs to take place as to how - at the World Cup - this can happen.

fair point, but that is down to the medical staff, not the player, I was merely impressed with his dedication, and anger at being told he had to come off, shows how much playing for his country meant.

Life is a game of fate.

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 10:54 - Jun 20 with 2435 viewsolympicdale

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 09:44 - Jun 20 by 49thseason

I was reading an article a few months back about the development of the US football program, how the money is spread out. They are concentrating a lot on first graders as they called it, but it was really impressive to read how, for a country that is catching up with football, put in so much funding and effort, I would not be surprised if in 10/12 years they could surpass us.

Life is a game of fate.

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:52 - Jun 20 with 2337 viewsnordenblue

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:53 - Jun 20 with 2333 viewsnordenblue

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 14:20 - Jun 20 with 2327 viewslove_the_dale

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 09:31 - Jun 20 by Mass_Debater

Your OP was looking at negatives.

Watching England isn't anything at all like watching Rochdale. We won promotion two months ago for example.

Which part of my OP was looking at England’s negatives? I was simply making comparisons between watching England and watching Rochdale. I wasn’t saying anything about the ultimate accomplishments of the two teams.

“Playing well, but every deflection goes to the opposition!”
- this was simply bemoaning bad luck.

“Uruguayan captain's foul on Sturridge was a yellow card - why do refs apply the laws differently when someone already has a yellow?!”
- complaining about certain aspects of referees.

“Two great efforts from Rooney.”
- unlucky.

“Suarez - who else?!”
- just like when Dale supporters almost expect certain players to score against us.
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 17:24 - Jun 20 with 2264 viewsKenBoon

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 09:33 - Jun 20 by Mass_Debater

epl?
soccer?

Speak English man.

I was on my phone and couldn't be bothered typing BARCLAYS Premier League. I won't apologise for saying Soccer though. It's time to reclaim the word from people who believe its an Americanism.
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 17:30 - Jun 20 with 2254 viewsColDale

Do players enjoy playing for England? Through Hilly, we know all the ingredients for a decent team, and part of that is enjoying what they do. I don't know whether its an innate fear the press, but historically our best players always seem to be the young ones who play with a freedom and a naivety, and without the burden that playing for England brings. Thats not the fault of the press, its the fault of those involved for putting such a price on that.
It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 18:49 - Jun 20 with 2212 viewsD_Alien

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 17:24 - Jun 20 by KenBoon

I was on my phone and couldn't be bothered typing BARCLAYS Premier League. I won't apologise for saying Soccer though. It's time to reclaim the word from people who believe its an Americanism.

Absolutely right about that last bit. I grew up (in the 60's and 70's) using the term "soccer" - it's as American as fish n chips.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 18:59 - Jun 20 with 2197 views442Dale

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 08:41 - Jun 20 by dingdangblue

Ultimately he is correct though. However you analyse possession, shape of team, movement or talk about tactics - the game is made up of moments. Suarez had 2 moments in that game and he buried them both. England - however poorly everyone thinks we played - had more than enough moments to win. Rooney freekick, header against bar, Godin's foul on Sturridge, Rooney shot saved when he should've buried it and his goal. After controlling the game from 50mins onwards and creating all the best chances it was cruel to lose it to such a basic goal when we'd done so well to get it back.

By definition moments will matter, but the teams with better shape, tactical awareness and maximising the players available to them will more often than not come out on top.

Uruguay were comfortable throughout, even when we equalised. Costa Rica showed it again this evening; far better organised than England have been this tournament.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

It's just like watching Rochdale ... on 20:08 - Jun 20 with 2160 viewsShun

Not specifically anything to do with this thread, but why do players get paid for playing for England? They're still getting a wage from their respective clubs while on international duty, so why do they need extra money for doing something that should be an honour?
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 22:16]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024