Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phrases you really hate 10:25 - Aug 27 with 8612 viewsRedbourneR

There are some phrases football seems littered with with make no sense at all and are just irritating as a result. My latest hate is the phrase 'tried to play in the right way' and variations on that theme. As if anyone sets out to play in the wrong way, and what exactly is the 'right' way anyway? It's just hot-air b*llocks to fill some time on the TV, and to save whoever's said it from actually thinning about what they're going to say.

What other phrases p*ss people off?
Phrases you really hate on 19:17 - Aug 27 with 1360 viewswelwynranger

Phrases you really hate on 19:12 - Aug 27 by Jalfrezi_Rs

"That's a great pass if he can make it"

No, if it's a great pass he doesn't have to stretch to get it does he

Don't forget the excruciatingly cringeworthy BOUNCEBACKABILITY
Phrases you really hate on 19:18 - Aug 27 with 1358 viewssaxbend

It really annoys me when commentators use words that aren't in their vocabulary and try to shoehorn them into nonsensical definitions.

If you believe football comementators a namesake is someone who just happens, for any reason or none, to have the same name as someone else.

I've also heard some use momentarily to mean soon, and disinterested to mean uninterested. I've heard players demonstrate a better knowledge of English than some commentators.
Phrases you really hate on 21:23 - Aug 27 with 1316 viewsBromleyHoop

'For sure'.

This seems to be creeping into wider usage rather than just emanating from the mouth of Harry Redknapp.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Phrases you really hate on 21:45 - Aug 27 with 1297 viewsMonahoop

Early doors. What is being referred to here? Light my Fire? People are Strange?

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Phrases you really hate on 21:50 - Aug 27 with 1287 viewsRangersAreBack

Full Time, Burton Albion 1 QPR 0.
Phrases you really hate on 21:58 - Aug 27 with 1271 viewsGloryHunter

It's in the club's DNA. Martin Keown said it tonight - "The Champion's League is in Arsenal's DNA".
Phrases you really hate on 22:04 - Aug 27 with 1259 viewsjohnhoop

"Oh well, now we can concentrate on the League".
Phrases you really hate on 00:03 - Aug 28 with 1218 viewsFFC1

Phrases you really hate on 12:19 - Aug 27 by TacticalR

Mark Hughes seems to have his own private language. A favourite is his use of the term 'the building' to refer to the club.

Hughes on Wilson Palacios: 'He hasn’t really surprised me because my view was always that Wilson was a very good player and I was pleased he was still in the building.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2384820/Mark-Hughes-Jermaine-P

When we signed Gael Kakuta on loan from Chelsea, Mark Hughes said 'You could tell from the moment he walked in the building that he had two great feet and an excellent awareness of what's around him.'

OK Mark, what did he do - eye up the receptionist and a little tap dance?
Login to get fewer ads

Phrases you really hate on 00:21 - Aug 28 with 1205 viewssaxbend

On the subject of penalties, so many commentators mention clear goalscoring opportunities, as if that has any bearing on whether a penalty should be given rather than relating to whether there should be a red card.

Also handball. I'm fed up with hearing commentators saying that something's not hand ball when the player clearly gained control of it and won possession for his team following the ball hitting an arm that he'd spread out before the ball was played in his direction. If you don't want to give a way a hand ball, keep your arms by your sides, and if the ball still hits them you have to let it roll away from you.

I sometimes think that commentators help shape the rules, or at least referees' interpretations of them when they continue to perpetuate misconceptions of the rules.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024