Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phrases you really hate 10:25 - Aug 27 with 8605 viewsRedbourneR

There are some phrases football seems littered with with make no sense at all and are just irritating as a result. My latest hate is the phrase 'tried to play in the right way' and variations on that theme. As if anyone sets out to play in the wrong way, and what exactly is the 'right' way anyway? It's just hot-air b*llocks to fill some time on the TV, and to save whoever's said it from actually thinning about what they're going to say.

What other phrases p*ss people off?
Phrases you really hate on 10:32 - Aug 27 with 5298 viewsJuzzie

"He had the right to go down" - Right? Fck off, seriously, fck the $hit off. Problem is, there's a whole younger generation of fans believing this bull$hit.

"SSN* understands" - (* or any other media organisation) - an excuse to talk utter bull$hit without consequence and encourage/direct people to betting websites

"We must learn from this" - if that happend, all games would end up 0-0

"QPR - all that's wrong with football" - trying not to be biased here but when Man Utd spend £131m, Liverpool £90m, Barcelona £75m on one player and so on, it's hard not to get narked off. I'm not saying we're angels but there's far worse than us

"Huh, typical xxxx fan" - really? So tens of thousands of fans of one club are all the same are they?

I'll add more I'm sure!
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 10:34]
Phrases you really hate on 10:33 - Aug 27 with 5290 viewsloftboy

Super Sunday featuring WBA v Stoke and Sunderland v crystal palace or such like

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Phrases you really hate on 10:38 - Aug 27 with 5273 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Playing against the "Liverpools, the Chelseas, the Man Utd's". What, they're multiplying?! Hard enough when there was only one of each.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Phrases you really hate on 10:53 - Aug 27 with 5234 views18StoneOfHoop

Phrases you really hate on 10:38 - Aug 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Playing against the "Liverpools, the Chelseas, the Man Utd's". What, they're multiplying?! Hard enough when there was only one of each.

Clive gratuitously stuck in the American 'off-season' in the Spuds report - he's only doing it to twist my meller,man.

There is nothing wrong with the perfectly serviceable english football word 'squad'. Early last season hoarse ginger Sean Dyche who had obviously been reading a lot of American sports motivation books/manuals kept referring to 'the good group'he had,now every manager goes on about 'the group'.
Squad! squad! squad! Hodd squad!

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Phrases you really hate on 10:54 - Aug 27 with 5229 viewsDaBurgh

"What are your views on that Robbie/Steve/Alan/Mark/Garth*"

*Delete as approriate.
Phrases you really hate on 10:59 - Aug 27 with 5210 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Phrases you really hate on 10:53 - Aug 27 by 18StoneOfHoop

Clive gratuitously stuck in the American 'off-season' in the Spuds report - he's only doing it to twist my meller,man.

There is nothing wrong with the perfectly serviceable english football word 'squad'. Early last season hoarse ginger Sean Dyche who had obviously been reading a lot of American sports motivation books/manuals kept referring to 'the good group'he had,now every manager goes on about 'the group'.
Squad! squad! squad! Hodd squad!

Roster!!!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Phrases you really hate on 11:02 - Aug 27 with 5199 viewsTacticalR

I believe 'in the right way' and 'in the right manner' is a Danny Mills-ism.

Another of his is: 'and I mean no disrespect' before proceeding to disrespect somebody.

Edit: I should add I do not hate such phrases, I savour them.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 11:04]

Air hostess clique

Phrases you really hate on 11:03 - Aug 27 with 5195 viewsCiderwithRsie

"And now the classified results for the FA Cup 3rd Round..."
Login to get fewer ads

Phrases you really hate on 11:07 - Aug 27 with 5172 viewssexton

'Turnover', which has migrated from the egg-chasing game in the last couple of seasons.
Phrases you really hate on 11:11 - Aug 27 with 5167 viewscoolranger

Well I have a few that will be all too familiar I suspect;

1. constant use of the full term 'football club' by managers in interviews - unnecessary, we know we are talking about your football club, just use the term 'club' eg: 'the club' not 'the football club'

2. 'at the end of the day' - lazy. So many synonyms could replace this half sentence eg: 'ultimately'

3. 'the boy's done good' - not english
4. 'we was alright, handling them etc' - not english
Phrases you really hate on 11:17 - Aug 27 with 5148 viewspaulparker

Im Looking forward to the Project that awaits, its a fcuking football club, not your georgraphy home work

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Phrases you really hate on 11:21 - Aug 27 with 5129 viewsrobith

"He's entitled to go down"

At Latitude festival a few years ago I went to a, well not a talk more a chat really between Pat Nevin and a couple of lads who'd written books about football.

Nevin was saying how he was on MOTD2 once and took Robbie Savage to task on his use of "he's entitled to go down" and how diving was cheating and as pundit they had a responsibility to call it out as such and by not doing so they were perpetuating it.

"and I was never asked back"
Phrases you really hate on 11:21 - Aug 27 with 5129 viewsbob566

Not so much a phrase but when you've been out with your family all day. Manage to avoid the scores. Its a cup weekend and we were playing Chelski and Gary Linneker opens MOTD with this line. Well no major upsets to report on today but plenty of goals and cue the MOTD music.

Just turned off there and then as I knew we'd lost without hearing the result.
Phrases you really hate on 11:22 - Aug 27 with 5129 viewsgordanoR

6 pointer.
Phrases you really hate on 11:28 - Aug 27 with 5109 viewstoboboly

I will hazard a guess that 1882 will say "Spackman"?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Phrases you really hate on 11:32 - Aug 27 with 5087 viewsElHoop

Phrases you really hate on 11:11 - Aug 27 by coolranger

1. constant use of the full term 'football club' by managers in interviews - unnecessary, we know we are talking about your football club, just use the term 'club' eg: 'the club' not 'the football club'

2. 'at the end of the day' - lazy. So many synonyms could replace this half sentence eg: 'ultimately'

Haha my son and I often have a joke about your first gripe. Haven't heard it quite so much lately, but there's an unwritten rule that only the manager can use the phrase 'the football club'. Nobody else ever dares to use it apart from the odd chairman every now and then. So it's worth keeping it just see if some rogue non-manager/chairman ever transgresses the unwritten law.
Phrases you really hate on 11:33 - Aug 27 with 5079 viewsJamie

'Sky Sources' = news lifted straight from twitter.
Phrases you really hate on 11:33 - Aug 27 with 5077 viewssimmo

'Put some clothes on, you're scaring the children.'

FFS.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Phrases you really hate on 11:42 - Aug 27 with 5057 viewsLoftusRdW12

Basically... I hate it when err, basically, players give interviews and, err, basically, use the word 'basically', err, basically, too much!

"I still don't know who scored our first and third goals. I'll have a look tonight." Neil Warnock

Phrases you really hate on 11:46 - Aug 27 with 5046 viewsstevec

Terms like Galactico's, Azzurri, The Boleyn...

You may be right, Jonathan Pearce, but to me its Real Madrid, Italy and Upton Park you smug fat bastard.
Phrases you really hate on 11:50 - Aug 27 with 5017 viewsJamie

"And most of all, I was really excited by the project here...."

Valbuena put it best: "I moved to Dynamo for the money. I'm now in a great financial situation."
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 11:50]
Phrases you really hate on 11:51 - Aug 27 with 5012 viewsToast_R

Your right, he is one of the most irritable commentator.

You don't hear it much these days but how about old Tyldesley with... "That Magical Night in Barcelona"?
Phrases you really hate on 11:51 - Aug 27 with 5013 viewstommytanker

"He is a player who needs an arm round his shoulder"

"He is a player who needs to feel loved / wanted"

Tony Pulis always refers to "The football club"
Phrases you really hate on 11:54 - Aug 27 with 4998 viewsJamie

"Phil Brown thinks....."
Phrases you really hate on 11:55 - Aug 27 with 4997 viewsGloryHunter

Phrases you really hate on 11:11 - Aug 27 by coolranger

Agree heartily with your no. 1, and wish to add "the football", rather than just saying "the ball". Stuart Pearce is the main offender.

We all know it's not a fcuking table tennis ball, Stuart.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 21:54]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024