Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Short film about Dave Clement 10:11 - Mar 15 with 4978 viewsCamberleyR

Seems like it's from Scandinavia, circa '77ish. At times it's a slightly uncomfortable watch when you hear Dave talking several times about his future but nevertheless fascinating. Also featured are Paul who is I reckon approximately five years old (he seems to be the only child so I assume it's before 1978 when brother Neil was born). Also about 14 minutes in he is talking as PFA rep to then youth team players Dean Wilkins, Clive Allen and Peter Hucker!

It seems another world in the days when a professional footballer could live next door to you and they drove Morris Marinas and not Bentleys.

[Post edited 15 Mar 2015 11:23]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Short film about Dave Clement on 11:24 - Mar 15 with 4912 viewsCamberleyR

Apologies, YouTube link is now in the post

Short film about Dave Clement on 11:51 - Mar 15 with 4884 viewsSomersetHoops

How many people think things are better now.? Footballers now consider themselves a race apart. You need to go down to non-league to find players in your local pub. I remember the time shown in the film and although some things have improved, in most ways things seem to have got worse.

Who's Next?

Short film about Dave Clement on 12:21 - Mar 15 with 4825 viewsparker64

Always a dependable player. The only time I saw him get outplayed was in an FA Cup replay at Forest, maybe 76/77ish. John Robertson ran rings round him and he eventually got sent off and threw his shirt on the pitch as he walked off.
Short film about Dave Clement on 12:33 - Mar 15 with 4803 viewsbatmanhoop

I actually remember the van and was that John Collins putting Dave through the mill?
Short film about Dave Clement on 12:48 - Mar 15 with 4781 viewsCamberleyR

Short film about Dave Clement on 12:21 - Mar 15 by parker64

Always a dependable player. The only time I saw him get outplayed was in an FA Cup replay at Forest, maybe 76/77ish. John Robertson ran rings round him and he eventually got sent off and threw his shirt on the pitch as he walked off.

It was certainly no disgrace to get outplayed by John Robertson at that time in the late 70s. Him and Peter Shilton were probably the main reasons they won the title in 77/78.

There is a sadness that about five years after the film was made he took his own life. He spoke well and intelligently and seemed he still had loads more to give to the game. The way he spoke to the youth teamers seemed like there may have been a good manager possibly in there.

It just shows what a terrible illness depression is. Makes you wonder that being a PFA rep he maybe didn't try to seek some sort of assistance from them when he was in the trough of despair that culminated in his suicide.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2015 12:49]

Short film about Dave Clement on 13:30 - Mar 15 with 4748 viewsTacticalR

A very good speaker, and he also comes across a very normal person. Well aware that the players aren't getting paid their worth compared to European players. The fact that he was talking about opening a bar or restaurant suggests that he didn't feel there was an obvious career path open to him in football.

The opening scene is at Twyford Avenue which was sold off by Chris Wright.

Air hostess clique

Short film about Dave Clement on 13:30 - Mar 15 with 4744 viewssexton

Short film about Dave Clement on 12:21 - Mar 15 by parker64

More than dependable. He was a superb full back who would walk into the current England team. Only The Bard can rival him as our best right back of the last 50 years IMHO.
Short film about Dave Clement on 14:05 - Mar 15 with 4725 viewsNov77

Short film about Dave Clement on 13:30 - Mar 15 by TacticalR

A very good speaker, and he also comes across a very normal person. Well aware that the players aren't getting paid their worth compared to European players. The fact that he was talking about opening a bar or restaurant suggests that he didn't feel there was an obvious career path open to him in football.

The opening scene is at Twyford Avenue which was sold off by Chris Wright.

You sure that's twyford? Thought they used to train in ruislip in those days.

I'm trying to figure out what game they showed there. Parkes was the keeper but Norman hunter, mick mills and brian Talbot were in the team? Was it an england B game? the badge on the shirt looks strange.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Login to get fewer ads

Short film about Dave Clement on 14:08 - Mar 15 with 4723 viewsTacticalR

Short film about Dave Clement on 14:05 - Mar 15 by Nov77

I'm trying to figure out what game they showed there. Parkes was the keeper but Norman hunter, mick mills and brian Talbot were in the team? Was it an england B game? the badge on the shirt looks strange.

Yes, might be wrong there.

Air hostess clique

Short film about Dave Clement on 14:22 - Mar 15 with 4704 viewsCamberleyR

I think it was a Bristol City testimonial game. Norman Bites Yer Legs played for them at that time and he's leading out the team in white which was Bristol City's away kit at the time. You can just make out the Brizzle badge they had at that time as they are walking out.

Other than Allen, Hucker and Dean Wilkins (wearing the QPR shirt), does anybody recognise anyone else when he's speaking to the youth team at about 14 minutes?

Short film about Dave Clement on 14:31 - Mar 15 with 4694 viewsparker64

I think it could have been this game. Welsh FA 100th anniversary match.

http://eu-football.info/_match.php?id=12382
Short film about Dave Clement on 15:56 - Mar 15 with 4635 viewstoreqpr

From norwegian channel NRK. Dave was paid for this interview.£5.Times definitivly have changed.
Short film about Dave Clement on 16:19 - Mar 15 with 4624 viewsCamberleyR

Short film about Dave Clement on 14:31 - Mar 15 by parker64

I think it could have been this game. Welsh FA 100th anniversary match.

http://eu-football.info/_match.php?id=12382

Don't think it's that match. That match was an international between Wales and England which I think happened to be Dave's international debut.

In the film you can see Norman Hunter leading out the team in white and he happened to play for Bristol City at the time. Also Phil Parkes Was on Dave's team in the clip. The White strip was Bristol City's away kit at the time. Think it was a testimonial game for a City player.

Short film about Dave Clement on 16:30 - Mar 15 with 4618 viewsparker64

Short film about Dave Clement on 16:19 - Mar 15 by CamberleyR

Don't think it's that match. That match was an international between Wales and England which I think happened to be Dave's international debut.

In the film you can see Norman Hunter leading out the team in white and he happened to play for Bristol City at the time. Also Phil Parkes Was on Dave's team in the clip. The White strip was Bristol City's away kit at the time. Think it was a testimonial game for a City player.

Yes, think you're right and that does look like that odd stand at Ashton Gate in the background.

As an aside I hadn't realised that there was a fair bit of misfortune in his wider family. All quite sad really.
Short film about Dave Clement on 19:54 - Mar 15 with 4527 viewsmalcob

I always remember the goal he scored against villa,

I'd rather be in P block

Short film about Dave Clement on 20:05 - Mar 15 with 4520 viewsCamberleyR

This was pretty good

Short film about Dave Clement on 20:18 - Mar 15 with 4507 viewsHollowayRanger

silly lad ,was my favourite player as a kid

nice interview good to see the real man not just the player

don't think he was too happy about his son not thinking he was a good player

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Short film about Dave Clement on 21:28 - Mar 15 with 4453 viewsAndyB

Short film about Dave Clement on 20:05 - Mar 15 by CamberleyR

This was pretty good

Remember watching that game on Sportsnight.
Never did suss the kit though. Anyone know the whys and wherefores of it?
Short film about Dave Clement on 22:22 - Mar 15 with 4420 viewsDWQPR

The training ground in question is Birkbeck Avenue in Greenford. Used to live round the corner from the ground and would watch all the players arrive each morning during the school holidays with a group of mates and occasionally be allowed to sneak in and watch them train. Stan would always arrive last in a taxi and give us kids a quid to get his Sporting Life and we would keep the change. All of the players always had time for us. Lovely memories. So sad in a way to watch Dave Clement there, came across as a real genuine guy who had time for others. If only he had stayed at QPR, maybe just maybe that could have been a catalyst for him to keep going and week help. Will have been gone 33 years this May.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Short film about Dave Clement on 22:39 - Mar 15 with 4410 viewsCamberleyR

Short film about Dave Clement on 21:28 - Mar 15 by AndyB

Remember watching that game on Sportsnight.
Never did suss the kit though. Anyone know the whys and wherefores of it?

Remember staying up late especially as well as a kid to watch that on Sportsnight. The kit WAS an odd one. An Umbro shirt from the previous season's kit deal such as it was then (never worn at all before), blue change Adidas shorts from the current season's kit usually worn when playing a club with white shorts but no other kit clash and red Adidas socks. Makes you wonder why they didn't just wear the away Feyenoord red/white halves, black shorts and socks to start with.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2015 22:41]

Short film about Dave Clement on 22:47 - Mar 15 with 4398 viewsAndyB

Short film about Dave Clement on 22:39 - Mar 15 by CamberleyR

Remember staying up late especially as well as a kid to watch that on Sportsnight. The kit WAS an odd one. An Umbro shirt from the previous season's kit deal such as it was then (never worn at all before), blue change Adidas shorts from the current season's kit usually worn when playing a club with white shorts but no other kit clash and red Adidas socks. Makes you wonder why they didn't just wear the away Feyenoord red/white halves, black shorts and socks to start with.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2015 22:41]

Yep . Always bamboozled me that one - to the point that I thought I had imagined it until the game surfaced on YouTube.
Short film about Dave Clement on 00:23 - Mar 16 with 4365 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Very enjoyable. Thanks Camberley.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024