Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defenders composure on the ball 16:25 - Aug 18 with 4654 viewsDando

On paper, I personally think we have a very promising team. When last season ended, I feared for the worst this year, but after seeing the lineup vs Cardiff, we have a team that looks very promising, exciting and potential to score goals all over the park and entertain fans.

For me, the let down to the style of football are the defenders. I would say that near enough all of the midfield players and strikers are confirdent and good on the ball, but pretty much none of our defenders are composed/comfortable with it. Although the defenders main aim is obviously to defend, I see a lack of composure on the ball and too many aimless and needless long balls/hoofs.

Although there are times when the ball needs to be cleared, there are also many times where a simple ball to the midfield is on, yet they choose the long ball option. Its frustrating to watch, as we need to get our talented ball players on the ball, such as Cherry, Phillips, Luongo etc wo can clearly make things happen. How are they suppose to play nice football and create if they are chasing long balls? Cherry looked excellent when he had the ball on Saturday, but we barely used him and he ended up getting subbed ridiculously early as a result of it.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2015 16:26]
Defenders composure on the ball on 16:55 - Aug 18 with 3550 viewsGetMeRangers

That was the biggest frustration of Saturday. Karl henry doesnt help in midfield and could really do with Ale there... just hope he isnt being kept as a museum piece to be wheeled out to appease fans frustration every four or five games for a substitution cameo

I expect more hoofing tomorrow. unfortuantely
Defenders composure on the ball on 00:41 - Aug 19 with 3341 viewsNeil_SI

It's an interesting topic of discussion, which actually relates to the back five, including the goalkeeper, and whose strengths aren't with passing the ball.

That is true for all of our defenders, and the best passer of the ball at the back is actually Clint Hill, as we've lost Steven Caulker for the season, otherwise it would be him. Prior to that, in some ways last season, it was actually Richard Dunne.

It's a shame, because we worked hard on this in pre-season and there was clear evidence that it was working. Nedum Onouha's passing has certainly improved, but only if the correct coached options are available.

We've also shied away a little bit from the deep lying midfielders coming to collect the ball, and in terms of the youth, Darnell Furlong and Cole Kpekawa are very likely to be better ball players than some of the older guard, just due to the nature the way the game has changed over the years. But that doesn't make them better defenders, however they did feature a lot in pre-season, which helped our flow, albeit against at times, lesser opposition.

We're in a position at the moment where it's a double edged sword. We have some new players settling in, such as James Perch and Paul Konchesky who haven't been here very long. In addition, when you start out, sometimes you go for that steady approach and don't want to overly commit, so they've stayed static in a rigid back four while they get to know each other more, especially in some away games where experience counts. So it's partly circumstantial too.

Further to that however, they also don't have a huge amount of pace and legs, so that is contributing to a lack of dynamism going forward and further suffocating passing options based on coached moves and can have a filtering impact down the chain. Yun Suk-Young for all his defensive positional frailties, has the speed to get up and down the line that may make a big difference to this team, and I suspect he might become an important component once fit.

Having said all of that, there are very few defenders available that can pass and defend equally as well, and those who can pass will cost a fortune and be at high profile clubs. There are just not enough of them around, and it's a very long and arduous process to train and coach those who are not adept at it to be better. It's one that requires patience and support, because if you make a mistake back there you're in a hell of a lot of trouble, and as you can probably see right now, there is very little patience across a section of supporters who want victories at all costs.

Personally for me, it's about a little bit of tactical and technical coaching to help, but also there's nothing wrong with playing direct, so long as it's precise and well structured. If the ball comes into midfield, there has to be the correct movement to support the midfield players on the ball. If it's direct up to a forward player, there has to be a Plan A and Plan B, for whether that player sets the ball and allows the units to spring up in support, to what happens when it goes in behind and how they support if the play is stretched.

We're not quite there just yet with that, hence you will see a breakdown of attacks, communication and wavelength at times. That's all relatively normal for a bunch of players still getting to know one another and understanding their personality, mentality, traits and temperament on the pitch.

Chery finds space in the hole really well, but he was nullified also by Cardiff's defensive positioning on Saturday. They closed some of the obvious lines and balls into feet, forcing us to go upwards into the sky and making the defensive players nervous about playing balls in that could be lost in more dangerous areas.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2015 0:44]
Defenders composure on the ball on 02:27 - Aug 19 with 3311 viewsWilloW4

Defenders composure on the ball on 00:41 - Aug 19 by Neil_SI

It's an interesting topic of discussion, which actually relates to the back five, including the goalkeeper, and whose strengths aren't with passing the ball.

That is true for all of our defenders, and the best passer of the ball at the back is actually Clint Hill, as we've lost Steven Caulker for the season, otherwise it would be him. Prior to that, in some ways last season, it was actually Richard Dunne.

It's a shame, because we worked hard on this in pre-season and there was clear evidence that it was working. Nedum Onouha's passing has certainly improved, but only if the correct coached options are available.

We've also shied away a little bit from the deep lying midfielders coming to collect the ball, and in terms of the youth, Darnell Furlong and Cole Kpekawa are very likely to be better ball players than some of the older guard, just due to the nature the way the game has changed over the years. But that doesn't make them better defenders, however they did feature a lot in pre-season, which helped our flow, albeit against at times, lesser opposition.

We're in a position at the moment where it's a double edged sword. We have some new players settling in, such as James Perch and Paul Konchesky who haven't been here very long. In addition, when you start out, sometimes you go for that steady approach and don't want to overly commit, so they've stayed static in a rigid back four while they get to know each other more, especially in some away games where experience counts. So it's partly circumstantial too.

Further to that however, they also don't have a huge amount of pace and legs, so that is contributing to a lack of dynamism going forward and further suffocating passing options based on coached moves and can have a filtering impact down the chain. Yun Suk-Young for all his defensive positional frailties, has the speed to get up and down the line that may make a big difference to this team, and I suspect he might become an important component once fit.

Having said all of that, there are very few defenders available that can pass and defend equally as well, and those who can pass will cost a fortune and be at high profile clubs. There are just not enough of them around, and it's a very long and arduous process to train and coach those who are not adept at it to be better. It's one that requires patience and support, because if you make a mistake back there you're in a hell of a lot of trouble, and as you can probably see right now, there is very little patience across a section of supporters who want victories at all costs.

Personally for me, it's about a little bit of tactical and technical coaching to help, but also there's nothing wrong with playing direct, so long as it's precise and well structured. If the ball comes into midfield, there has to be the correct movement to support the midfield players on the ball. If it's direct up to a forward player, there has to be a Plan A and Plan B, for whether that player sets the ball and allows the units to spring up in support, to what happens when it goes in behind and how they support if the play is stretched.

We're not quite there just yet with that, hence you will see a breakdown of attacks, communication and wavelength at times. That's all relatively normal for a bunch of players still getting to know one another and understanding their personality, mentality, traits and temperament on the pitch.

Chery finds space in the hole really well, but he was nullified also by Cardiff's defensive positioning on Saturday. They closed some of the obvious lines and balls into feet, forcing us to go upwards into the sky and making the defensive players nervous about playing balls in that could be lost in more dangerous areas.

Blah blah blah...
Defenders composure on the ball on 03:46 - Aug 19 with 3293 viewsbacardiinbrissie

Shame we dont play on paper...
Defenders composure on the ball on 07:02 - Aug 19 with 3213 viewsdolcelatte

Are you Ingham's son by any chance?

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Defenders composure on the ball on 09:42 - Aug 19 with 3095 viewssimmo

Defenders composure on the ball on 02:27 - Aug 19 by WilloW4

Blah blah blah...

Lots of words without pictures can be hard can't it...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Defenders composure on the ball on 09:47 - Aug 19 with 3086 viewsWilloW4

Defenders composure on the ball on 09:42 - Aug 19 by simmo

You'll get the hang of it eventually.
Defenders composure on the ball on 09:54 - Aug 19 with 3069 viewsTheBlob

Defenders composure on the ball on 09:42 - Aug 19 by simmo

Nothing harder than James Joyce's Ulysses.
Currently waiting of the musical to come out in order to make sense of the whole bollocks.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Defenders composure on the ball on 10:56 - Aug 19 with 3027 viewssimmo

Defenders composure on the ball on 09:47 - Aug 19 by WilloW4

You'll get the hang of it eventually.

I hope so, until then I'll stick to newspaper headlines

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Defenders composure on the ball on 11:05 - Aug 19 with 3008 viewsadhoc_qpr

We might as well play Poulter upfront (with or without Austin next to him) if Perch, Konchesky, Onouha and Hill are just going to continue to hoof it forwards.

At least he might win a few balls!

You can't expect Luongo, Faurlin. Chery or anyone to dictate the game while straining their neck watching the ball fly overhead.

Neither Perch/Konchesky nor Furlong/Yun inspires much defensive confidence - but at least the latter two might be fun to watch and cross the halfway line occasionally.
Defenders composure on the ball on 11:20 - Aug 19 with 2988 viewsA40Bosh

Defenders composure on the ball on 02:27 - Aug 19 by WilloW4

Blah blah blah...

Neil_SI, do you ever feel you are wasting your breath on here mate ?

Some people apparently don't want to hear any potential reasons or analysis of why things might not be perfect , they just want to enjoy things going wrong so they can scream and rant and throw their toys out of the pram.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Defenders composure on the ball on 11:50 - Aug 19 with 2954 viewskingsburyR

There seems to be different factions with LFW of which I am not associated to any.

Could the leaders of each faction make a case for me joining them so I can contribute more?

OR.....we could all get on a bit more!!!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Defenders composure on the ball on 12:40 - Aug 19 with 2914 viewsGetMeRangers

Defenders composure on the ball on 11:20 - Aug 19 by A40Bosh

Some people apparently don't want to hear any potential reasons or analysis of why things might not be perfect , they just want to enjoy things going wrong so they can scream and rant and throw their toys out of the pram.

I am sure he must. I find it refreshing that Neil_Si gives time to analyse the game, for those like myself that dont have enough football knowledge.

Hope he continues for the few that do appreciate it
Defenders composure on the ball on 13:04 - Aug 19 with 2885 viewsTacticalR

Our defenders have not been informed about the New Dawn at QPR.

Air hostess clique

Defenders composure on the ball on 14:36 - Aug 19 with 2832 viewsJAPRANGERS

Neil, why don't you take over from CR when he gets the inevitable bullet?? Your analysis is brilliant!
Defenders composure on the ball on 16:16 - Aug 19 with 2774 viewsWilloW4

Defenders composure on the ball on 11:20 - Aug 19 by A40Bosh

I've nothing against Neil's post.. Good for him for having the time and patience to write at length about what he sees and believes ...a40bosh,things ain't perfect at Rangers, that's obvious, I don't like things going wrong at QPR..and if "blah blah blah", is screaming and ranting then you must live a very quiet life... As for throw their toys out of the pram..silly quote.. .
Defenders composure on the ball on 16:26 - Aug 19 with 2759 viewsA40Bosh

Defenders composure on the ball on 16:16 - Aug 19 by WilloW4

I've nothing against Neil's post.. Good for him for having the time and patience to write at length about what he sees and believes ...a40bosh,things ain't perfect at Rangers, that's obvious, I don't like things going wrong at QPR..and if "blah blah blah", is screaming and ranting then you must live a very quiet life... As for throw their toys out of the pram..silly quote.. .

Willow,

A "Blah, Blah, Blah response" to Neil's post without any other context looks like a put down of the analysis that Neil had taken the time to write, I can't see how you could take it any other way. My further comments were not directed specifically at your post but the 1001 other posts on here on other threads since the pre-season games and during the past two opening weeks of the season that don't want to hear any defence of the management or any explanation of why things might not be right "yet" and posters appearing to just want to rant that the world is ending and that the blame has to lie with Ramsey after two games.

I know it is all about opinions, but when people challenge the opinions on here and perhaps try and justify why Ramsey should be given more time, you just get more bile saying that you're a dreamer.

This after 2 games in to the league programme.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Defenders composure on the ball on 16:44 - Aug 19 with 2737 viewsWilloW4

Defenders composure on the ball on 16:26 - Aug 19 by A40Bosh

Willow,

A "Blah, Blah, Blah response" to Neil's post without any other context looks like a put down of the analysis that Neil had taken the time to write, I can't see how you could take it any other way. My further comments were not directed specifically at your post but the 1001 other posts on here on other threads since the pre-season games and during the past two opening weeks of the season that don't want to hear any defence of the management or any explanation of why things might not be right "yet" and posters appearing to just want to rant that the world is ending and that the blame has to lie with Ramsey after two games.

I know it is all about opinions, but when people challenge the opinions on here and perhaps try and justify why Ramsey should be given more time, you just get more bile saying that you're a dreamer.

Fair point bosh..it is indeed about opinions.. The world ain't ending (although that's debatable ),I'm not a fan of Ramseys and I don't believe his waffle..much like Redknapp he strikes me as a media puppet.. Incidentally , I'm in Wolverhampton now, so my 40 year affair with the R's continues..I'm not a dreamer when it comes to QPR..as for the bile bit...there's been plenty of that over the decades... Come on you R's.
Defenders composure on the ball on 16:56 - Aug 19 with 2715 viewsAntti_Heinola

Defenders composure on the ball on 16:16 - Aug 19 by WilloW4

you've nothing against it, so you just thought you'd type out a mean-spirited, sarcastic, wholly uncalled-for reply to it?
Why not just say - 'good for you', as you have done here then?
Sorry mate, I found that blah comment really rude. Unless you two are good mates and it's all a private gag, obviously.

Bare bones.

Defenders composure on the ball on 17:01 - Aug 19 with 2699 viewsWilloW4

Defenders composure on the ball on 16:56 - Aug 19 by Antti_Heinola

you've nothing against it, so you just thought you'd type out a mean-spirited, sarcastic, wholly uncalled-for reply to it?
Why not just say - 'good for you', as you have done here then?
Sorry mate, I found that blah comment really rude. Unless you two are good mates and it's all a private gag, obviously.

Who are you? My mother telling me off?...yeah, a private gag , obviously. Knee jerk that.
Defenders composure on the ball on 17:18 - Aug 19 with 2675 viewspaulparker

Defenders composure on the ball on 16:26 - Aug 19 by A40Bosh

Willow,

Or those who do challenge Ramsey with valid points are met with the following
Go down the road & support Chelsea
Not a proper QPR fan
Spoilt Prem league lover
An embarrassment

It works both ways

At the end of the day It's a forum for us to talk rubbish, transfers and discuss things about the state of QPR , not everyone will agree with each other and it doesn't mean because I don't rate Ramsey I'm not an avid fan like you are or those who do rate him
I'm pretty sure if we all had these conversations in the pub we wouldn't be having all of these silly put downs and we would listen to each other's views in a sensible manner
Anyway hopefully we get 3 points tonight

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Defenders composure on the ball on 17:22 - Aug 19 with 2666 viewsTacticalR

Defenders composure on the ball on 09:54 - Aug 19 by TheBlob

Nothing harder than James Joyce's Ulysses.
Currently waiting of the musical to come out in order to make sense of the whole bollocks.

Let's sign stately, plump Buck Mulligan.

Air hostess clique

Defenders composure on the ball on 17:53 - Aug 19 with 2615 viewsBklynRanger

Defenders composure on the ball on 11:50 - Aug 19 by kingsburyR

There seems to be different factions with LFW of which I am not associated to any.

Could the leaders of each faction make a case for me joining them so I can contribute more?

OR.....we could all get on a bit more!!!!

If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.

Defenders composure on the ball on 18:20 - Aug 19 with 2584 viewsAntti_Heinola

Defenders composure on the ball on 17:01 - Aug 19 by WilloW4

Who are you? My mother telling me off?...yeah, a private gag , obviously. Knee jerk that.

Well clearly your mother didn't tell you off often enough, did she.
Go to your room and think about what you've done.

Bare bones.

Defenders composure on the ball on 18:44 - Aug 19 with 2543 viewsWilloW4

Defenders composure on the ball on 18:20 - Aug 19 by Antti_Heinola

Well clearly your mother didn't tell you off often enough, did she.
Go to your room and think about what you've done.

Don't even entertain having a pop at my mum..I'm just guessing that you're a know it all plum. Knee jerk that. Are you here tonight?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024