Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview 22:52 - Feb 25 with 12935 viewsNorthernr

So, yeh, we interviewed Tony Fernandes this week as well. And here it is...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/42132
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 23:28 - Feb 25 with 7073 viewstoboboly

Interesting reading and well done on some probing questions. I do think he believes what he says but he doesn't half talk some crap.

Burnley are successful because they were in this division a long time?

Southamptons rose out of nowhere?

He kept asking managers to buy kids but they didn't? Well you're in charge Tony, you decide what happens.

He argued about Bosingwa then still gave him an extortionate contract?

Diakite had a wonderful first season? He was sent off every second game he played.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 23:45 - Feb 25 with 7035 viewsPunteR

Didn't pull any punches Clive, well done .
There was still a lot of waffle in there from TF but I guess that's just how he is. Looks like were just gonna have to get used to it. Shame he's not coming off Twitter.
FFP has maybe forced his hand now,for the better Imo .
Lets hope we can be sensibly run with Hoos and Ferdinand, JFH, Ramsey with the youth. He has good people here.
I could pick on a few things he said, but I've slated him enough tonight on another thread.
Fairplay to Tony for the interview. I really hope things work out ok .

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 23:48 - Feb 25 with 7015 viewsNorthernr

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 23:45 - Feb 25 by PunteR

Didn't pull any punches Clive, well done .
There was still a lot of waffle in there from TF but I guess that's just how he is. Looks like were just gonna have to get used to it. Shame he's not coming off Twitter.
FFP has maybe forced his hand now,for the better Imo .
Lets hope we can be sensibly run with Hoos and Ferdinand, JFH, Ramsey with the youth. He has good people here.
I could pick on a few things he said, but I've slated him enough tonight on another thread.
Fairplay to Tony for the interview. I really hope things work out ok .

Probably worth saying that we had half an hour, and he stayed for 45 mins, but still there's stuff in there that I could have picked away at for ages but you've got to try and cover as much as possible.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 23:52 - Feb 25 with 7005 viewsRangersw12

Decent interview and glad to see you didn't pull any punches with the questions also fair play to him for doing it

Were you tempted to ask him if he was steaming this week when he tweeted about Rangers?
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 00:08 - Feb 26 with 6970 viewsWilloW4

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 23:52 - Feb 25 by Rangersw12

Decent interview and glad to see you didn't pull any punches with the questions also fair play to him for doing it

Were you tempted to ask him if he was steaming this week when he tweeted about Rangers?

Agreed, fair enough for him to do the interview, but there seems to be a bloody lot of waffle.... Heard most of it before.. Blah blah blah.. Good questions, lots of stuff and nonsense answers.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 00:18 - Feb 26 with 6962 viewsessextaxiboy

Great stuff Clive

Well done on getting the interview and having the balls to ask him the tough questions that we want him to answer.

Have you ever thought of journalism for a career ??
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 00:32 - Feb 26 with 6950 viewsNeil_SI

I really wish Tony Fernandes would understand the way he uses social media is not how we want to be represented or see our football club run.

The comments he makes haven't been helpful or inspiring to anybody. Not the staff who have to deal with the fallout, not the players who he pays expensive salaries to, and most certainly not the fans, where his tweets have often divided and caused rifts and infighting amongst supporters.

It's no way to run a football club.

The way he uses social media is having a damaging and detrimental impact on the club and continues to do so. There is a lack of standards, spirit and pride, and a lot of this stems from the tone set by Fernandes and continues to undermine the best efforts of the staff below him.

His conduct on social media has been a mixture between cringeworthy, desperate and outright embarrassing in parts. It's been awkward and hollowing to watch unfold over the years. It's a real pity he doesn't see it as a genuine problem and if anything it reveals just how poorly the club is still run from the decision makers at the very top.

It's really important he understands this part, because if he can't, how can we place trust in him with the basics of running a successful, respected and professional football club? Why should we trust him with something as important as a new training ground or a new stadium if he can't see how obvious this is?

Rangers currently face spiritual and cultural ruin under his guidance, which isn't a legacy I'd wish on anybody, not least what on the face of it, seems like a really nice man. But it's not too late to change and turn it around.

Part of the problem is that he's always come across as starstruck and in awe of his players, and he wants to be mates and rub shoulders with them. You could probably extend that to anybody in football circles that tells him something that sounds impressive to him, it's obvious he just doesn't understand football. I think he comes across as very defensive for a large part of this interview too, blaming everybody else for all of the problems when the reality is the answer is closer to home. He needs to look in the mirror.

Oftentimes with rich owners, a lot of this comes down to ego and self image in the end. But it's usually misguided. He can secure his legacy as Clive points out by running the club properly and with respect, and delivering tangible assets that safeguard the future of the football club, like a training ground, rather than the latest flashy big name signing.

I'm thankful for FFP because in my mind, it cornered us into where we are now. If we weren't troubled by it, I don't believe for a minute that the crazy spending and wild decisions and thrashing around would have stopped. It's forced us into a position where we might be able to sort a few things out with the help of Ferdinand and Lee Hoos.

In the end, if we want to be a club like a Burnley or a Southampton, then we need to impose standards at the club from top to bottom. That includes owners, staff and players. Those clubs have people at the top, the decision makers, who live and breathe their clubs and have its best interests at heart. Here, we thankfully have Ferdinand.

Ferdinand though has a tough job on his hands. He's already tried to convince Fernandes (as have other staff, I'm sure) to come off of social media and was batted down. How can he expect to impose standards across the club when the owner doesn't want to play ball?

David McIntyre once wrote a bunch of questions that are critical to any club, and which are still relevant today whether it's new players or staff, and which included things like: what kind of club are they joining when they join QPR? What kind of standards are imposed? Who reminds them of their duty as QPR players? What happens if they let the club down? What sense do they get of the history and tradition of the club and its importance? What happens if they bring the club into disrepute? And how do they compare QPR to their previous clubs?

The only person in recent years to have tried to answer some of these questions and do something properly about them is Ferdinand. But that mandate has to stretch to the club as a whole, owners and Fernandes included.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 03:04 - Feb 26 with 6865 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Thanks Clive

Good read - there is no doubting Tony's passion.
It would be good to see actions instead of words and for the training ground to get underway, youngsters given a chance, living within our means and for us to get back to playing attractive football.

U R's
[Post edited 26 Feb 2016 3:05]
Login to get fewer ads

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 03:33 - Feb 26 with 6854 viewsFredManRave

Well done for getting the interview Clive and for the questions asked but unfortunately I just think Fernandes comes with so much hot air. I could copy and paste at least 10 sentences/paragraphs from that interview where, imo, he's just talking absolute rubbish by blaming everybody else, not understanding the situation or even worse not understanding football.

Neil hit the nail on the head regarding his twitter activity. I couldn't agree more yet Ferandes still just doesn't see or understand it which is really hard to believe. But it's Fernandes, so actually, it's quite easy to believe.

I just look and listen to him QPRwise and just can't believe how he ever became a successful businessman.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 03:37 - Feb 26 with 6852 viewsFredManRave

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 00:32 - Feb 26 by Neil_SI

I really wish Tony Fernandes would understand the way he uses social media is not how we want to be represented or see our football club run.

The comments he makes haven't been helpful or inspiring to anybody. Not the staff who have to deal with the fallout, not the players who he pays expensive salaries to, and most certainly not the fans, where his tweets have often divided and caused rifts and infighting amongst supporters.

The way he uses social media is having a damaging and detrimental impact on the club and continues to do so. There is a lack of standards, spirit and pride, and a lot of this stems from the tone set by Fernandes and continues to undermine the best efforts of the staff below him.

His conduct on social media has been a mixture between cringeworthy, desperate and outright embarrassing in parts. It's been awkward and hollowing to watch unfold over the years. It's a real pity he doesn't see it as a genuine problem and if anything it reveals just how poorly the club is still run from the decision makers at the very top.

It's really important he understands this part, because if he can't, how can we place trust in him with the basics of running a successful, respected and professional football club? Why should we trust him with something as important as a new training ground or a new stadium if he can't see how obvious this is?

Rangers currently face spiritual and cultural ruin under his guidance, which isn't a legacy I'd wish on anybody, not least what on the face of it, seems like a really nice man. But it's not too late to change and turn it around.

Part of the problem is that he's always come across as starstruck and in awe of his players, and he wants to be mates and rub shoulders with them. You could probably extend that to anybody in football circles that tells him something that sounds impressive to him, it's obvious he just doesn't understand football. I think he comes across as very defensive for a large part of this interview too, blaming everybody else for all of the problems when the reality is the answer is closer to home. He needs to look in the mirror.

Oftentimes with rich owners, a lot of this comes down to ego and self image in the end. But it's usually misguided. He can secure his legacy as Clive points out by running the club properly and with respect, and delivering tangible assets that safeguard the future of the football club, like a training ground, rather than the latest flashy big name signing.

I'm thankful for FFP because in my mind, it cornered us into where we are now. If we weren't troubled by it, I don't believe for a minute that the crazy spending and wild decisions and thrashing around would have stopped. It's forced us into a position where we might be able to sort a few things out with the help of Ferdinand and Lee Hoos.

In the end, if we want to be a club like a Burnley or a Southampton, then we need to impose standards at the club from top to bottom. That includes owners, staff and players. Those clubs have people at the top, the decision makers, who live and breathe their clubs and have its best interests at heart. Here, we thankfully have Ferdinand.

Ferdinand though has a tough job on his hands. He's already tried to convince Fernandes (as have other staff, I'm sure) to come off of social media and was batted down. How can he expect to impose standards across the club when the owner doesn't want to play ball?

David McIntyre once wrote a bunch of questions that are critical to any club, and which are still relevant today whether it's new players or staff, and which included things like: what kind of club are they joining when they join QPR? What kind of standards are imposed? Who reminds them of their duty as QPR players? What happens if they let the club down? What sense do they get of the history and tradition of the club and its importance? What happens if they bring the club into disrepute? And how do they compare QPR to their previous clubs?

The only person in recent years to have tried to answer some of these questions and do something properly about them is Ferdinand. But that mandate has to stretch to the club as a whole, owners and Fernandes included.

It's like you read my mind Neil and converted it into an articulate, educated and informative post. Is there anyway you can reduce it to 140 characters and send to our start struck chairman?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 03:51 - Feb 26 with 6844 viewssilky

Wow, just wow.

Clive how on earth did this come about? I know via the podcast and LFW forum you have had all the questions ready to ask TF if the opportunity arose of properly interviewing him but wow.

This is the sort of interview that creates an opportunity to get straight to the point no middle man, and a huge pat on the back for yourself for staying stern in your questions to TF. Someone had to do it and I'm extremely happy you had the chance to do this and that you didn't roll over when TF would come out with his usual lines.

Although the Twitter subject must of felt like banging your head against a brick wall, TF clearly feels like its okay to continue on in this vein which is a shame. I was hoping that the comments you made would give him a clear picture of the destruction a few words from him can achieve. I just now hope he is even more careful at what he puts on there for all our sakes.

To be fair to him though he didn't have to accept to be a part of this honest, refreshing, sobering interview and props to him for answering everything you threw at him. Was nice to learn more about the training development and to why it has been delayed for so long, you also quite rightly point out that its much more important to have a better training facility in place than a shiny new stadium.

TF is still a very corporate man which doesn't fit in with the QPR ethos as a family club. The question is though can we sustain this in the modern game whilst still classing ourselves as a family run club? I think a compromise may have to suffice?

Clive...... A huge thank you for doing this, it is very nice as a fan from so far away to know you finally got to have a proper one to one with the big cheese and have your say which echoes mine!

A beer is in the post! :D

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 07:35 - Feb 26 with 6681 viewslondonscottish

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 00:32 - Feb 26 by Neil_SI

Spot on.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 08:10 - Feb 26 with 6608 viewsJamie

#nandosgate
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 08:31 - Feb 26 with 6573 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ill be hone - I didn't bother watching his Sky interview, and I haven't bothered commenting on his latest pitiful tweets. But I had to read this as I knew you'd ask the questions that needed to be asked, Clive.

And you didn't disappoint.

I desperately want Fernandes & Co. to succeed here. Not because I adore them, but because if they fail our very best scenario is a sale to God knows who, the likely scenario is that we are sold wither in debt or stripped of assets such as Loftus Road. So there isn't a single fibre of my being that wants them to struggle.

So I take no joy in asking these two questions -

1) if Fernandes can't or won't see that his 'promotion is everything' outburst so destabilised the entire club, then aren't we looking at a man who probably won't change because primarily he fails the to see the need to change?

2) Seeing as both men had visions of taking an underperforming club, improving its infrastructure, making millions/billions for the club and themselves, and - just as importantly - keeping their individual profiles as high as the club's, am I wrong in thinking of Fernandes and being reminded of Ken Bates?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 08:34 - Feb 26 with 6564 viewspaulparker

Well done for getting all that content in half hour , I especially liked the response

"is promotion not everything to you"
"NO"

a real shame you didn't have 2 hours as I would have loved to have seen you grill him on why he sacked NW, why he listened so much to Kia Jouchbioun (sp)
why he said he would give Harry another contract twice then didn't
the tweets about Dream mangers , why we have never sold a player for a profit
why he wasn't strong enough in saying he didn't want boswinga,
why JFH is on a rolling contract
why he took a 17 million loan from Barclays

what was interesting is that I get the impression from the interview he was dictating to LF & CR about what team to pick , ie pick the likes of Sandro, Fer , Green ,
I raised this point a few months ago on another post,

as a QPR fan that interview still worries me, you can probably copy and paste the interview on to about a dozen TF has given in the 5 years he has been here
we still have no plan B with the training ground which by the sounds of it is still about 5 years away from happening , the man talks a good game but cannot deliver ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 08:38 - Feb 26 with 6567 viewsconnell10

Great questions from clive but the answers left a lot to be desired. Lets face uncle tony just dont get rangers and i dont think he ever will.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 08:39 - Feb 26 with 6562 viewsdanehoop

Clive,

thanks for this. I really enjoyed it. Not quite Frost/Nixon but something akin to the approach.

I found TF's stance very interesting. He is his own man, passionate but honest and reflecting back about making mistakes. Certain amount of deflection evident, but I didnt really think he was blaming others so much as saying we backed them and their judgement. It didnt work and we are learning from it.

You exposed the naivity and in some places arrogance of TF (the former is something he probably accepts - the latter maybe less so) around his social media use and clumsy handling of issues.

But he does come across as well intentioned and, for me at least, someone now very much trying to do the right thing. That it has been enforced on him by FFP (possibly a relief given the short term problems elsewhere in the Tune Group) is being realised as a blessing in disguise. My concern is that for all of his talk of patient building there has been little evidence over the past 4 years that he can do either. He basically comes across as a rich fan who ended up owning the company, rather than the hard headed business man that he actually is with his other business.

Not sure that I am quite in the place the Neil is in. There are risk in where we are and football and the environment that it operates are changing massively. It will continue to do so and not every team will be able to adapt to survive either financially or spiritually. We are now at a point where the decisions and action that we take over the next 3-5 years will have an enormous impact. If, and its a big if, they get the training ground sorted, the scouting network sorted and coaching right we will start to have some solid foundations for the future. If we carry on as we had and didn't earn from past mistakes I think it would be much more bleak. Are we actually going to thank FFP for forcing our hand?

Never knowingly understood

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:03 - Feb 26 with 6512 viewsQPRski

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 08:34 - Feb 26 by paulparker

Well done for getting all that content in half hour , I especially liked the response

"NO"

a real shame you didn't have 2 hours as I would have loved to have seen you grill him on why he sacked NW, why he listened so much to Kia Jouchbioun (sp)

what was interesting is that I get the impression from the interview he was dictating to LF & CR about what team to pick , ie pick the likes of Sandro, Fer , Green ,

as a QPR fan that interview still worries me, you can probably copy and paste the interview on to about a dozen TF has given in the 5 years he has been here
we still have no plan B with the training ground which by the sounds of it is still about 5 years away from happening , the man talks a good game but cannot deliver ,

There are and will be many more questions.

Clive - do you think that this is a "one-off" or do you believe that this will be repeated in the future?

The big added value of your interview is that there is a opportunity to directly ask, in a very professional manner, the questions which are important for and discussed amongst supporters. I hope that there will be new opportunities in the future.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:13 - Feb 26 with 6485 viewsNorthernr

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 08:34 - Feb 26 by paulparker

"NO"

Me too mate. Half an hour slots is pretty standard for interview days like that, and we ran significantly over. Could easily have gone down the route of talking about the previous managers, and he seemed quite keen to do that as his line is he backed them and they fcked up. But I wanted to talk about the training ground, the FFP and the problems he causes with his social media because those are the things I bang on about the most. Had I not asked about the season tickets I can't imagine the Twitter would have reacted very well.

30 mins is between 6 and 10 questions really, depending on how talky the person is, so obviously there was more we would like to have done.

He said the opposite on the Sandro, Fer Green point. He wanted Luongo playing as well but Les, Jimmy/Ramsey etc picked them so people would see they were fit to play and would be more likely to buy them. Whether it was that way round or not who knows?
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:15 - Feb 26 with 6475 viewsNorthernr

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 08:38 - Feb 26 by connell10

Great questions from clive but the answers left a lot to be desired. Lets face uncle tony just dont get rangers and i dont think he ever will.

Yeh, I can only ask the questions, don't have to like the answers. Obviously it would be great if he turned round and said "you know what, you're right, I'll completely change the way I think about that." But Ferdinand, Hoos, media team have all pleaded with him about the social media thing so if he's not listening to them he's not going to listen to me is he!
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:15 - Feb 26 with 6470 viewsNorthernr

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:03 - Feb 26 by QPRski

There are and will be many more questions.

Clive - do you think that this is a "one-off" or do you believe that this will be repeated in the future?

The big added value of your interview is that there is a opportunity to directly ask, in a very professional manner, the questions which are important for and discussed amongst supporters. I hope that there will be new opportunities in the future.

One-off I suspect. Have been gently pushing it for some time.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:31 - Feb 26 with 6432 viewsYorkRanger

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:15 - Feb 26 by Northernr

One-off I suspect. Have been gently pushing it for some time.

Fair play to the media team who presumably helped to set up the interview and would have known that you would have some difficult questions to ask.

Good interview, some of the answers were a bit déjà fun but as you said earlier you can only ask the questions.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:41 - Feb 26 with 6403 viewspaulparker

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:13 - Feb 26 by Northernr

Me too mate. Half an hour slots is pretty standard for interview days like that, and we ran significantly over. Could easily have gone down the route of talking about the previous managers, and he seemed quite keen to do that as his line is he backed them and they fcked up. But I wanted to talk about the training ground, the FFP and the problems he causes with his social media because those are the things I bang on about the most. Had I not asked about the season tickets I can't imagine the Twitter would have reacted very well.

30 mins is between 6 and 10 questions really, depending on how talky the person is, so obviously there was more we would like to have done.

He said the opposite on the Sandro, Fer Green point. He wanted Luongo playing as well but Les, Jimmy/Ramsey etc picked them so people would see they were fit to play and would be more likely to buy them. Whether it was that way round or not who knows?

fair play

half hour is nothing really especially when as you say he waffles on about previous managers and the way he has backed them , heard that once heard it a thousand times
interesting that he didn't seem that keen on a fans forum, the twitter thing is good for him as he doesn't have to answer serious questions in detail

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:55 - Feb 26 with 6371 viewsNorthernr

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:41 - Feb 26 by paulparker

fair play

half hour is nothing really especially when as you say he waffles on about previous managers and the way he has backed them , heard that once heard it a thousand times
interesting that he didn't seem that keen on a fans forum, the twitter thing is good for him as he doesn't have to answer serious questions in detail

Like I say, he stuck around for 45 minutes, delaying his meeting with JFH in the process, but I could have sat there and fired questions at him all afternoon.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 10:01 - Feb 26 with 6358 viewspaulparker

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 09:55 - Feb 26 by Northernr

Like I say, he stuck around for 45 minutes, delaying his meeting with JFH in the process, but I could have sat there and fired questions at him all afternoon.

TBF North you could have sat there for a week and still had plenty more questions to ask him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024