Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid 22:27 - Mar 6 with 12551 viewsWatford_Ranger

Am I insensitive in thinking it's ridiculous that Hoilett wasn't available on Saturday after his wife had dropped a kid out a day before? This seems to have become a given in football when I'm sure it wasn't in the recent past.

The bloke is presumably trying to win a new contract. Maybe I'm just old fashioned about this but if the kid was born that day or due at any moment I could understand it.
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 11:37 - Mar 7 with 2831 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 06:35 - Mar 7 by 18StoneOfHoop

Have we come a long long way baby in 27 years?

Are most of us progressive or reactionary?

When Trev said no to Mad Dog (courtesy of QPR Report 2009)

BLAST FROM THE PAST - MARTIN ALLEN

The most talked about episode from Martin Allen's career at Queens Park Rangers was not a match he played in … but one that he missed!
It was 20 years ago this month - on March 11th 1989. Rangers travelled north for a First Division fixture at Newcastle United and our squad stayed in a hotel overnight before the game.
Allen said: "I was sharing a room with our goalkeeper David Seaman. At two o'clock in the morning, David took a phone call from my dad saying that my wife Gabriella was about to give birth.

"I found out there was a flight back to London at 7.30am and I told our Assistant Manager Peter Shreeves. He said 'Before you leave, check that she's still in labour. And if you are going to go, then get on the plane and good luck. But check first.'
"I rang from the hotel at 6.00am and Gabriella was settling in at the Royal Berks Hospital. So I got the plane from Newcastle Airport and arrived at Heathrow about 8.30am. From there, I was in the hospital at 9.30am and our baby George was born at 12.15pm.

"I'll never forget the following Monday. I was just leaving for home after training when QPR Manager Trevor Francis handed me an envelope while I was getting in my car. I thought it was going to be a note of congratulations for having the baby. But it was a two week wages fine!
"It was quite shocking and disappointing. After that, my working relationship with Trevor broke down. I was eventually sold to West Ham a few months later.
"But I have no regrets about what happened. It was only human that I wanted to see the birth of my first child. Everyone has the right if they wish to do that - whether you are a footballer or whether you are a banker or a politician. It doesn't matter what you work as. You have that right.

"I still get phone calls from newspapers about the incident - even now. My name always crops up when any top sportsman chooses to attend the birth of a child. Or even when they opt to stay and perform in their chosen sport when the wife is in labour.
"My famous - or infamous - son George is now 20 years-old. As I am talking to you on the phone for this interview, I am just driving him down to Bristol University where he is studying Maths & Philosophy. George is doing very well and enjoying his own life now."

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/2531#ixzz42CDjriJ6
[Post edited 7 Mar 2016 6:42]

I understand why his did it via a note rather than face to face though.

Mad Dog is , well, like a Mad Dog.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2016 11:38]
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 11:39 - Mar 7 with 2824 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 08:58 - Mar 7 by Toast_R

By rights he would be entitled to Paternity leave would he not?

I took my 1 week full pay immediately. The day job didn't even enter the equation.

Technically , footballers are private contractors so i'm not sure????
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 11:42 - Mar 7 with 2815 viewsTheBlob

All the more remarkable given Junior's tendency to shoot wide or over the top.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 12:02 - Mar 7 with 2776 viewsQPRDave

Stan Bowles would've played, even if his missus went into labour at 2;45
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 12:10 - Mar 7 with 2765 viewsTacticalR

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 11:37 - Mar 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

I understand why his did it via a note rather than face to face though.

Mad Dog is , well, like a Mad Dog.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2016 11:38]

Men didn't have babies in those days.

Air hostess clique

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 12:22 - Mar 7 with 2745 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 12:02 - Mar 7 by QPRDave

Stan Bowles would've played, even if his missus went into labour at 2;45

Yeah Stan was noted for his dedication wasn't he.
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 13:19 - Mar 7 with 2695 viewsrobith

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 08:48 - Mar 7 by Bluce_Ree

To any fan whining about Hoilett missing the game.

Would you go to work the day after your wife dropped a kid?

If no, then it is fair enough that Hoilett didn't. What's the consequence of it? He missed a football match.

On a list of shit that matters, football is right down the bottom. And on the list of football shit that matters, a midtable QPR shitfest matters even less.

And that's coming from someone who thinks babies are marginally less important than, say, The Oscars or the output of the band 'Toploader'.

We complain that footballers are ever more detached from the reality of fans' lives, but then demand they act like automatons with no human emotion.

If I ever have a kid, I am taking every second of that two week paternity leave I can get me hands on
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 13:32 - Mar 7 with 2678 viewsWatford_Ranger

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 13:19 - Mar 7 by robith

We complain that footballers are ever more detached from the reality of fans' lives, but then demand they act like automatons with no human emotion.

If I ever have a kid, I am taking every second of that two week paternity leave I can get me hands on

I'm not asking him to have no emotion. I just would have thought in his situation he'd have wanted to play. As this thread suggests, my view is a minority one but I don't see his as a normal profession and not just because of the money (though I'm sure he still picked up his £50k for his week's endeavours). You ought to do things as a footballer that we mortals don't and, for me, this is one.
Login to get fewer ads

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 14:45 - Mar 7 with 2626 viewswhittocksRs

He's a total b*stard for wanting to spend time with his first child.
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:40 - Mar 7 with 2548 viewsHollowayRanger

id do overtime to get away from a new born, I honestly cant stand babies all they do is cry and poo I wont go near one and everyone knows not to try and hand me one I had to hold my niece one god id rather hold a puppy and I hate dogs,I only like kids once they can start to talk. then they can become magical full of innocence and learning

maybe if I were married and had my OWN for keeps things might be different but I doubt it so its best I don't , I don't even have any feelings for the others apart from wishing them well

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:43 - Mar 7 with 2546 viewsTacticalR

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:40 - Mar 7 by HollowayRanger

id do overtime to get away from a new born, I honestly cant stand babies all they do is cry and poo I wont go near one and everyone knows not to try and hand me one I had to hold my niece one god id rather hold a puppy and I hate dogs,I only like kids once they can start to talk. then they can become magical full of innocence and learning

maybe if I were married and had my OWN for keeps things might be different but I doubt it so its best I don't , I don't even have any feelings for the others apart from wishing them well

Agreed. Babies are very poor conversationalists.

Air hostess clique

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:52 - Mar 7 with 2534 viewsKerryE

I might hold a record here - my wife gave birth to our 4th boy at about 7am and I was back at work by midday!
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:54 - Mar 7 with 2531 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:52 - Mar 7 by KerryE

I might hold a record here - my wife gave birth to our 4th boy at about 7am and I was back at work by midday!

Doesn't count if you are a post natal consultant .
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 21:18 - Mar 7 with 2484 viewsHollowayRanger

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:43 - Mar 7 by TacticalR

Agreed. Babies are very poor conversationalists.

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 12:36 - Mar 13 with 2402 viewsTacticalR

I have to say that yesterday against Brentford Hoilett didn't look in too bad shape for a man who's just had a baby.

Air hostess clique

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid (n/t) on 18:59 - Mar 13 with 2129 viewsDeano19766

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 06:35 - Mar 7 by 18StoneOfHoop

Have we come a long long way baby in 27 years?

Are most of us progressive or reactionary?

When Trev said no to Mad Dog (courtesy of QPR Report 2009)

BLAST FROM THE PAST - MARTIN ALLEN

The most talked about episode from Martin Allen's career at Queens Park Rangers was not a match he played in … but one that he missed!
It was 20 years ago this month - on March 11th 1989. Rangers travelled north for a First Division fixture at Newcastle United and our squad stayed in a hotel overnight before the game.
Allen said: "I was sharing a room with our goalkeeper David Seaman. At two o'clock in the morning, David took a phone call from my dad saying that my wife Gabriella was about to give birth.

"I found out there was a flight back to London at 7.30am and I told our Assistant Manager Peter Shreeves. He said 'Before you leave, check that she's still in labour. And if you are going to go, then get on the plane and good luck. But check first.'
"I rang from the hotel at 6.00am and Gabriella was settling in at the Royal Berks Hospital. So I got the plane from Newcastle Airport and arrived at Heathrow about 8.30am. From there, I was in the hospital at 9.30am and our baby George was born at 12.15pm.

"I'll never forget the following Monday. I was just leaving for home after training when QPR Manager Trevor Francis handed me an envelope while I was getting in my car. I thought it was going to be a note of congratulations for having the baby. But it was a two week wages fine!
"It was quite shocking and disappointing. After that, my working relationship with Trevor broke down. I was eventually sold to West Ham a few months later.
"But I have no regrets about what happened. It was only human that I wanted to see the birth of my first child. Everyone has the right if they wish to do that - whether you are a footballer or whether you are a banker or a politician. It doesn't matter what you work as. You have that right.

"I still get phone calls from newspapers about the incident - even now. My name always crops up when any top sportsman chooses to attend the birth of a child. Or even when they opt to stay and perform in their chosen sport when the wife is in labour.
"My famous - or infamous - son George is now 20 years-old. As I am talking to you on the phone for this interview, I am just driving him down to Bristol University where he is studying Maths & Philosophy. George is doing very well and enjoying his own life now."

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/2531#ixzz42CDjriJ6
[Post edited 7 Mar 2016 6:42]

[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 19:49]
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid (n/t) on 19:06 - Mar 13 with 2123 viewsDeano19766

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:52 - Mar 7 by KerryE

[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 19:48]
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:10 - Mar 13 with 2116 viewskensalriser

I think you might have forgotten to take your medication Deano.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:16 - Mar 13 with 2109 viewsPunteR

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid (n/t) on 19:06 - Mar 13 by Deano19766

Wow. I'm hoping your joking.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:17 - Mar 13 with 2107 viewsloftboy

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid (n/t) on 19:06 - Mar 13 by Deano19766

I'm a dad of 6 what does that make me then?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:19 - Mar 13 with 2102 viewsTGRRRSSS

Whats wrong with having 4 kids?
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:21 - Mar 13 with 2095 viewsNorthernr

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:22 - Mar 13 with 2094 viewsTacticalR

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:16 - Mar 13 by PunteR

Wow. I'm hoping your joking.

This is completely consistent with his Malthusian/Green politics bullshit posts.

Air hostess clique

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid (n/t) on 19:29 - Mar 13 with 2082 viewsDeano19766

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:19 - Mar 13 by TGRRRSSS

Whats wrong with having 4 kids?

[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 19:47]
Players not playing after their missus has had a kid (n/t) on 19:30 - Mar 13 with 2078 viewsDeano19766

Players not playing after their missus has had a kid on 19:21 - Mar 13 by Northernr

[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 19:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024