Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Casuals 11:50 - Apr 15 with 14357 viewsPhildo

Stumbled across the documentary on Netflix about the Casual movement from the 80s. Anyone seen it? The Bush gets a mention as does Stuarts clothes shop. Very much my era although a few too many scouse/manc accents in it for my liking. my recollection was they were all in shell suits while the London football fan was fully covered in high end knitwear etc...
Casuals on 18:48 - Apr 15 with 12888 viewsthemodfather

some went for the tennis look ( sergio/fila) some the knitwear ( lyle's, pringles and roll necks) some went cords and others faded jeans (lois)
many at qpr wore the leather ponchos, but i really liked the nickleby shoes, black with coloured "tongue", i had pink...bet they'd be popular again today...i went with what fitted!! lol
Casuals on 19:09 - Apr 15 with 12839 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I loved the Pringles. Classic diamond. I used to wear them with Lois cords or C17 jeans.
Casuals on 19:38 - Apr 15 with 12784 viewsLblock

What was this called?

Loved those times. I love the fact it's come full circle (again).
Lacoste polo shirt, Pringle cardy (diamond cut of course), burgundy Lois jumbo cords cut and split at the angle, blue leather Kickers and a golf umbrella and I was ready for the footy.

The music, the wedge and step haircuts, the Tom foolery, the air of random violence, the drink, the drugs and the fact I was young and full energy. The best of times

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Casuals on 20:10 - Apr 15 with 12721 viewsitsbiga

I still wear my Tachini, Fila and Pringle tops. Style like that never fades. I do look like a total late 80's hooligan tho.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Casuals on 20:27 - Apr 15 with 12695 viewswombat

Casuals on 20:10 - Apr 15 by itsbiga

I still wear my Tachini, Fila and Pringle tops. Style like that never fades. I do look like a total late 80's hooligan tho.

Watched it the other night . If you watch the clip of Stuart's closely see if you can spot a glimps of a certain rangers midfield player of the 80s in there

Spent a bloody fortune in Stuart's Lois cords Kyle and Scott etc the a trip to carnaby street to stick up on Pringle jumpers

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Casuals on 20:43 - Apr 15 with 12660 viewsdanehoop

Casuals on 20:27 - Apr 15 by wombat

Watched it the other night . If you watch the clip of Stuart's closely see if you can spot a glimps of a certain rangers midfield player of the 80s in there

Spent a bloody fortune in Stuart's Lois cords Kyle and Scott etc the a trip to carnaby street to stick up on Pringle jumpers

Remember there being a number of tear ups between casuals and mods in carnaby street at the time. Got caught up several times (as a mod)?

Never knowingly understood

Casuals on 23:37 - Apr 15 with 12477 viewswestberksr

Diadora recently relaunched a limited edition of the Bjorn Borg Elite in kangaroo leather for about £190, was very tempted!

Bought my first Diamond Pringle from Stuart's the week before the FACup final and bought a couple of tickets off him at the same time. Spent a fortune on all the gear and loved that time, combination of football and soul music, great times.
Casuals on 00:33 - Apr 16 with 12434 viewsPommyhoop

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Login to get fewer ads

Casuals on 00:35 - Apr 16 with 12433 viewsPommyhoop

Casuals on 04:40 - Apr 16 with 12391 viewsPommyhoop

Trip down memory lane..

Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore: The definitive view of British nightlife

Fragments of "found" video footage from British nightclubs are spliced together, repeated and slowed down, while a perfectly edited collage of ambient sounds — snatches of rave tracks, crowd noise, men bellowing across provincial shopping precincts — filters in and out. There's a loose chronology — northern soul, soul weekenders, casuals, acid house — but the two defining themes of the film are timeless.

Casuals on 06:46 - Apr 16 with 12362 viewsLblock

Casuals on 04:40 - Apr 16 by Pommyhoop

Trip down memory lane..

Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore: The definitive view of British nightlife

Fragments of "found" video footage from British nightclubs are spliced together, repeated and slowed down, while a perfectly edited collage of ambient sounds — snatches of rave tracks, crowd noise, men bellowing across provincial shopping precincts — filters in and out. There's a loose chronology — northern soul, soul weekenders, casuals, acid house — but the two defining themes of the film are timeless.

Pommy that was all a bit trippy for me!!

Some good clips. Recognised the ones from the Hooligan documentary straight away!
I'm sure my ex bird is in one of the rave ones!!

Thanks for posting

Casuals on 07:28 - Apr 16 with 12327 viewsPommyhoop

Casuals on 06:46 - Apr 16 by Lblock

Pommy that was all a bit trippy for me!!

Some good clips. Recognised the ones from the Hooligan documentary straight away!
I'm sure my ex bird is in one of the rave ones!!

Thanks for posting

My pleasure fella.
They were great days indeed..

Casuals on 09:37 - Apr 16 with 12211 viewsLadbrokeR

Saw this on Netflix. The story of a how the fella from Wade sports goes to Germany and buys Addidas trainers for cash and then brings them back in his van was interesting. It's all become a bit of an urban myth where did casual start. Some journalists would have you believe that the scousers were bowling around in designer clothes way before anyone else and perhaps some were. If you haven't seen it I would say it's worth a watch.
Casuals on 09:58 - Apr 16 with 12184 viewsLblock

So what's it called? Is it only on Netflix?

And....

Where's my Gabbichi roll neck?!

Casuals on 10:17 - Apr 16 with 12169 viewsLadbrokeR

Casuals on 09:58 - Apr 16 by Lblock

So what's it called? Is it only on Netflix?

And....

Where's my Gabbichi roll neck?!

It's called casuals. I wouldn't think that it's only on Netflix. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't in it. There are some odd bits men that have training shoe obsessions. There's a couple of women one from the soul crew and one from Leicestershire baby squad. I'll give you back your Gabbicci when I you give me my Fila Bjorn Borg bucket hat back.
Casuals on 10:26 - Apr 16 with 12150 viewsPommyhoop

Casuals on 10:17 - Apr 16 by LadbrokeR

It's called casuals. I wouldn't think that it's only on Netflix. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't in it. There are some odd bits men that have training shoe obsessions. There's a couple of women one from the soul crew and one from Leicestershire baby squad. I'll give you back your Gabbicci when I you give me my Fila Bjorn Borg bucket hat back.

Malhis on Southall Bdway was the place for Gabbicci.
Chaddas was ok too. Farahs coming out of their arse.

Casuals on 10:37 - Apr 16 with 12137 viewsLblock

Casuals on 10:17 - Apr 16 by LadbrokeR

I'll raise you that bucket hat and give you your denim dungarees by Chevingnon

Threads and beats
You know dat

Casuals on 15:57 - Apr 16 with 11984 viewsthemodfather

it may seem odd but modfather clothing, up in chalk farm stables market have a lovely range of gabicci, from knitwear to suits and one of their staff, sean is a qpr fan and you can get a bit off....they have an online shop if anyone fancies a look...cheers
Casuals on 17:53 - Apr 16 with 11910 viewsBoston

I presume the market for white butchers coats and Bovis donkey jackets is a little depressed at the moment?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Casuals on 11:09 - Apr 17 with 11688 viewsmerseyhoop

Cracking thread and interesting to get views from the era. I live on the Wirral and the understanding locally is that the casuals started with the Liverpool fans steaming through Europe on the Transalpino Express and bringing the casuals clobber back (not one to stereotype but llegitimate methods would often be used), this then spread through the terraces and picked up by other fans. Aberdeen fans also like to claim they played a big part with their European travels at the time.

I loved that era and was at secondary school in the early 80s, luckily our school was quite laid back with school uniform and the general attire would be Adidas Corsica shoes, Farah pans/jumbo cords, Lyle & Scott, Pringle or Robe Di Kappa round necks with La Coste polos - and of course school tie would have to be fitted in to make it all acceptable for school. Scally trips on the Saturday to Wade Smiths in Liverpool to admire the trackie tops behind glass windows Fila, Ellesse, Australian by Lalpina, Cerruti, Sergio etc - of course all a bit more classy than the Harry Enfield Scousers, well we thought so at the time (no full tackies, only the top). And the trainers, still a big love of mine - for me had to be Adidas with Munchen, Trimm Trab, Forest Hills etc.

A good website is http://www.80scasuals.co.uk/ with t-shirts celebrating 80s casual icons, I have bought a few T-shirts from here with my favourite being a tribute to The Warriors with a Baseball Fury image, http://www.80scasuals.co.uk/shop/pre-order-the-warriors-strange-town-t-shirt-nav and Sources of 80s Casuals http://www.80scasuals.co.uk/shop/sources-of-80s-casuals-navy

Looking forward to next season, I think Jimmy Floyd is getting the core of a good team and I think we will be pushing for the play-offs. U Rsssssssssssss
Casuals on 12:04 - Apr 17 with 11652 viewsBoston

I wouldn't know where the 'casual' look first got going at football but I do recall noticing its presence on my trips around the country. The Liverpool claim is one I heard a couple of times, certainly is was very popular up there and they did seem to embrace the look in large numbers early on, but being the first? By 1980, no doubt influenced by the London club scene, there were small crews of Arsenal and West Ham who were sporting this attire, indeed there were a few at Rangers and I guess therefore many other clubs. I can lend some weight to the Aberdeen claim, about that time I knew some chaps from Motherwell and stayed up there occasionally. One day I accompanied them to a Celtic game at Parkhead and witnessed the Dons boys have a go at taking the Jungle. They were unsuccessful, but I was surprised at their attempt and found myself watching the fracas with more interest than the game. Failing in their objective, the route of departure had them passing close by us and I noted how well turned out they were, again in large numbers.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2016 13:34]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Casuals on 23:21 - Apr 17 with 11513 viewsBrixtonR

Casuals on 10:37 - Apr 16 by Lblock

I'll raise you that bucket hat and give you your denim dungarees by Chevingnon

Threads and beats
You know dat

Fair play mate I Fckin love chevignon, Togs unlimited T Shirts fckin ruled. Does anyone remember Classic Nouveaux - a division of Fiorucci or Liberto or my personal favourite Appalousa loved the tops

Holsten Gucci Fiourucci
Casuals on 09:57 - Apr 18 with 11408 viewswombat

Casuals on 23:21 - Apr 17 by BrixtonR

Fair play mate I Fckin love chevignon, Togs unlimited T Shirts fckin ruled. Does anyone remember Classic Nouveaux - a division of Fiorucci or Liberto or my personal favourite Appalousa loved the tops

Holsten Gucci Fiourucci

the famour borg kangaroo skins , they reissued them about 2 years ago, 800 pairs across the world I think , managed to get hold of a pair as lovely as I remembered as well , sh@gged them one weekend about 4 weeks later gutted dosnt describe how bad I felt , some odd pairs around at present if you have hobbit feet not size 11s .

defo think it started down south more than with the scousers though , i have an old article from the daily star from many moons ago based on stuarts and its clients.

i had the blue over white sergio over coat heavy weight , cost me close to 200 quid lovely , went to uddersfield in the fa cup early 80s pi$$ing rain and leant agaisnt the crash barrier half time went for a sla@sh and the red paint had come off the barrier right across the middle of the coat ruined

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Casuals on 15:48 - Apr 18 with 11304 viewsLadbrokeR

Casuals on 12:04 - Apr 17 by Boston

I wouldn't know where the 'casual' look first got going at football but I do recall noticing its presence on my trips around the country. The Liverpool claim is one I heard a couple of times, certainly is was very popular up there and they did seem to embrace the look in large numbers early on, but being the first? By 1980, no doubt influenced by the London club scene, there were small crews of Arsenal and West Ham who were sporting this attire, indeed there were a few at Rangers and I guess therefore many other clubs. I can lend some weight to the Aberdeen claim, about that time I knew some chaps from Motherwell and stayed up there occasionally. One day I accompanied them to a Celtic game at Parkhead and witnessed the Dons boys have a go at taking the Jungle. They were unsuccessful, but I was surprised at their attempt and found myself watching the fracas with more interest than the game. Failing in their objective, the route of departure had them passing close by us and I noted how well turned out they were, again in large numbers.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2016 13:34]

There was an funny bit in the film when an older West Ham bloke was talking about how him and few others went up the south bank at Upton Park when Liverpool were playng West Ham . He was saying that Liverpol were scruffy wearing donkey jackets and that they never had any style.
Casuals on 15:49 - Apr 18 with 11299 viewsMaggsinho

Casuals on 15:48 - Apr 18 by LadbrokeR

There was an funny bit in the film when an older West Ham bloke was talking about how him and few others went up the south bank at Upton Park when Liverpool were playng West Ham . He was saying that Liverpol were scruffy wearing donkey jackets and that they never had any style.

'They looked like miners!' was his direct quote I think.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024