Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sale of Goods Act re Televisions 09:02 - May 19 with 2624 viewsCamberleyR

I was wondering if any of you had had recourse to quote parts of the Sale of Goods Act to shops where you have bought something that has gone faulty after a relatively short time?

The bloody picture on the telly went last night (still got sound) whilst watching something. The thing's only just two years old as well. Do you think it's worth complaining to Argos where it was bought, that two years is very far from a reasonable time for something like a telly to last and either get them to repair it or replace it? I think the act states you can still argue faulty goods for six years.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 10:43 - May 19 with 2569 viewsessextaxiboy

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4218845

I think you have some redress , not a refund but a repair . Looks like you are not alone .

[Post edited 19 May 2016 10:45]
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:48 - May 19 with 2556 viewsqpr85

Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 11:29 - May 19 with 2513 viewsPinnerPaul

Shame you didn't get it from Amazon.

I had a PVR made by Phillips that never worked properly - once it froze and the only way to unfreeze it was to reformat, losing all the recordings.

Put it down as one of those things, because at the time it was a relatively new product.

After guarantee expired it froze again - I contacted Amazon, who not only offered a full refund but collected the machine free of charge as well.

Probably the best customer service I have come across!

Bought a Humax PVR after that and its not given a moments bother.
Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 11:39 - May 19 with 2499 viewsTacticalR

Annoying how many products have 2-year guarantees and just about last 2 years.

Air hostess clique

Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 11:58 - May 19 with 2465 viewsEastR

Goods bought prior to 1 Oct 2015 are covered by the Sale of Goods Act (1979) — this sounds like it’s the case for you.
Anything bought after that is now covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. This is a much more flexible piece of legislation from the consumer perspective, including the goods should be ‘fit for purpose AND last a reasonable length of time’

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 12:02 - May 19 with 2458 viewsYorkRanger

My personal view is that whilst you may be able to quote the Sale of Goods Act (1979) which at its heart requires goods to be fit for purpose, after 2 years that argument will be weak (notwithstanding that we would all consider 2 years to be a woefully inadequate lifespan for a TV). Better off trying to appeal to Argos direct or the manufacturer themselves - making that enquiry through social media may sometimes warrant a more positive repsonse....
Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 12:12 - May 19 with 2437 viewsdanehoop

Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 12:02 - May 19 by YorkRanger

My personal view is that whilst you may be able to quote the Sale of Goods Act (1979) which at its heart requires goods to be fit for purpose, after 2 years that argument will be weak (notwithstanding that we would all consider 2 years to be a woefully inadequate lifespan for a TV). Better off trying to appeal to Argos direct or the manufacturer themselves - making that enquiry through social media may sometimes warrant a more positive repsonse....

I'll try and dig out the details later, but don't be confused by the guarantee that manufactors/retailers provide. The sales of goods act as York points out makes no mention of time, an item basically has to work for a reasonable amount of time - two years is clearly not. Your claim would be against the retailer who sold the product, not the manufacturor (be wary of that one) as that is who your contract was with. If you paid by credit card/HP then it can actually be helpful as you potentially have a claim against them as well.

Never knowingly understood

Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 12:57 - May 19 with 2372 viewsCamberleyR

Thanks for all the input so far guys, I'm still weighing up how to approach this. FWIW I purchased it using Argos's card which I sometimes do for more expensive purchases as it gives you a nine month interest free period and usually pay it off once that interest free period ends.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 13:56 - May 19 with 2295 viewsthorpebankR

Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 12:57 - May 19 by CamberleyR

Thanks for all the input so far guys, I'm still weighing up how to approach this. FWIW I purchased it using Argos's card which I sometimes do for more expensive purchases as it gives you a nine month interest free period and usually pay it off once that interest free period ends.

.AS danehoop has said It is the retailer is who you have the contract with not the manufacturer. The retailer usually points you in the direction of the manufacturer washing there hands of it. It has not lasted a reasonable amount of time is your argument. If you paid by Argos credit card it may be worth taking it up with them.
[Post edited 19 May 2016 13:57]
Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 14:49 - May 19 with 2242 viewsMatch82

Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 11:29 - May 19 by PinnerPaul

Shame you didn't get it from Amazon.

I had a PVR made by Phillips that never worked properly - once it froze and the only way to unfreeze it was to reformat, losing all the recordings.

Put it down as one of those things, because at the time it was a relatively new product.

After guarantee expired it froze again - I contacted Amazon, who not only offered a full refund but collected the machine free of charge as well.

Probably the best customer service I have come across!

Bought a Humax PVR after that and its not given a moments bother.

Amazon customer service is amazing. I've had a few situations where they have sorted me out without batting an eyelid.
Sale of Goods Act re Televisions on 17:33 - May 19 with 2165 viewsDorse

I was think of getting a r fund for my telly as it appears that it only shows utter $hite.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024