Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road Gigs 19:34 - Jul 23 with 9347 viewsMonahoop

Having watched Danny Baker's the Peoples History of Pop 1966-76 on BBC4 last night, some bloke on the programme pulled out a ticket for a Yes concert held at LR back in '77 I think it was. This got me thinking. What bands have played at LR and has anyone on here been to a LR gig? I know there have been some concerts there in the past.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Loftus Road Gigs on 20:25 - Jul 23 with 9273 viewsfrancisbowles

Don't think there were any others, Mona. The only other event I can remember taking place was the McGuigan/Pedroza fight. Others may have better memories.
Loftus Road Gigs on 00:03 - Jul 24 with 9117 viewsDebaser

The Jam tried to put on a gig there in June 1982, can't remember exact reason it didn't go ahead, but seem to recall council not letting them.
Loftus Road Gigs on 01:24 - Jul 24 with 9069 viewsBoston

I was at the Yes gig, not my type of noise, just went because it was at LR. One of the roadies was an R, well he wore his hooped top in clear view of the audience for the whole jolly anyway.
I was at the McGuigan fight, stood in the Loft, great atmosphere. Had been in NY previously enduring a monologue of how many run of the mill bums they had who could flatten him, super feeling walking back into the Bronx and reminding them "I told you so".
I watched Ryan Giggs on a number of occasions.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Loftus Road Gigs on 02:55 - Jul 24 with 9045 viewsjonno

I was also at the Yes gig at LR. Never really into them, but a woman at work's daughter was their managers secretary and she got me free tickets, which I took because a band I liked - Ace ("How Long") - were on the same bill. I went home when Yes came on.
Loftus Road Gigs on 03:15 - Jul 24 with 9042 viewsFredManRave

Loftus Road Gigs on 00:03 - Jul 24 by Debaser

The Jam tried to put on a gig there in June 1982, can't remember exact reason it didn't go ahead, but seem to recall council not letting them.

No Style that Council.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Loftus Road Gigs on 08:06 - Jul 24 with 8958 views18StoneOfHoop

What a bombastic pompous prog rock yawn! ..and the clothes!
#Dismal
#ThankGodPunkAppearedTheNextSummer
#OnlyTheBlobCouldLikeThisShyte

Here's some more Yes back in 1972.Rick Wakeman the sad Brentford fan with the unfeasibly ugly piggy-nostriled face,lank hair and total style and taste and fashion by-pass.

Dreadful really dreadful ..makes me want to cut off my ears and throw them in the bin.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now here's something much better..
With a tv audience of 19,000,000 !
A wonderful noisy night for wee Barry and the Irish,north and south:

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Loftus Road Gigs on 09:24 - Jul 24 with 8875 viewsMonahoop

Loftus Road Gigs on 08:06 - Jul 24 by 18StoneOfHoop

What a bombastic pompous prog rock yawn! ..and the clothes!
#Dismal
#ThankGodPunkAppearedTheNextSummer
#OnlyTheBlobCouldLikeThisShyte

Here's some more Yes back in 1972.Rick Wakeman the sad Brentford fan with the unfeasibly ugly piggy-nostriled face,lank hair and total style and taste and fashion by-pass.

Dreadful really dreadful ..makes me want to cut off my ears and throw them in the bin.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now here's something much better..
With a tv audience of 19,000,000 !
A wonderful noisy night for wee Barry and the Irish,north and south:

Barry McGuigan's dad used to sing, often before a bout. Did he sing at LR? If so that would count as a sort of gig. Barry comes from Clones in Co Monaghan, not far from where I live. He was known as the Clones Cyclone and Clones town was nicknamed Barrytown for a while. I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr McGuigan. A true gent.

Loftus Road Gigs on 11:12 - Jul 24 with 8800 viewsloftboy

Loftus Road Gigs on 09:24 - Jul 24 by Monahoop

Barry McGuigan's dad used to sing, often before a bout. Did he sing at LR? If so that would count as a sort of gig. Barry comes from Clones in Co Monaghan, not far from where I live. He was known as the Clones Cyclone and Clones town was nicknamed Barrytown for a while. I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr McGuigan. A true gent.

I remember Russel Watson the opera singing performing at half time,and didn't one of the posters on here sing at half time,I believe it may have been Berko ranger,(apologies if I'm mistaken)

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road Gigs on 11:48 - Jul 24 with 8772 viewsmcqpr10

Mona hoop. I have family in Castleblayney. 3/4 years ago was over for xmas. Qpr played Chelsea early on the Sat at the same time as Liverpool/United. Went to a pub with my cousins very hungover and dehydrated. Everyone was watching the United game on the big screen. I went to the toilet at half time to find a fellow r sat watching rangers on his own on a smaller screen round the side. We lost 1-0 I believe. Was that you? Small, Small world if it was.
Loftus Road Gigs on 12:47 - Jul 24 with 8732 viewsMonahoop

Loftus Road Gigs on 11:48 - Jul 24 by mcqpr10

Mona hoop. I have family in Castleblayney. 3/4 years ago was over for xmas. Qpr played Chelsea early on the Sat at the same time as Liverpool/United. Went to a pub with my cousins very hungover and dehydrated. Everyone was watching the United game on the big screen. I went to the toilet at half time to find a fellow r sat watching rangers on his own on a smaller screen round the side. We lost 1-0 I believe. Was that you? Small, Small world if it was.

McQPR10. Did you attend a pub in Castleblayney to see the Chelsea game or in Monaghan town? I think that match was the FA Cup tie that we lost 1-0. I watched that game at the Squeeling Pig pub in Monaghan town centre where the local R's often congregate. Chances are if you were in 'Blayney it could have been Dermy QPR who sometimes posts on this site. He lives there.

Loftus Road Gigs on 12:59 - Jul 24 with 8717 viewsstonebridgers

The American evangelist Billy Graham played at HQ in the 80's but I am not sure if you can count that as a gig.
Jesus saves but Bannister buries the rebound

Stonebridgers

Loftus Road Gigs on 15:45 - Jul 24 with 8651 viewsfrancisbowles

Loftus Road Gigs on 02:55 - Jul 24 by jonno

I was also at the Yes gig at LR. Never really into them, but a woman at work's daughter was their managers secretary and she got me free tickets, which I took because a band I liked - Ace ("How Long") - were on the same bill. I went home when Yes came on.

Ace part of the 'pub rock scene' great little band. Paul Carrack still a talented singer and musician, saw him in concert last year and he still does 'How Long'. Wish I had seen Ace and many others from that era.
Loftus Road Gigs on 15:56 - Jul 24 with 8634 viewsMrSheen

Loftus Road Gigs on 12:59 - Jul 24 by stonebridgers

The American evangelist Billy Graham played at HQ in the 80's but I am not sure if you can count that as a gig.
Jesus saves but Bannister buries the rebound

Luis Palau, another evangelist, did 3 weeks a bit later. Can't say I went along.
Loftus Road Gigs on 16:05 - Jul 24 with 8620 viewsBoston

Well if its singing you want...the Loft had a go every couple of weeks.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Loftus Road Gigs on 16:22 - Jul 24 with 8607 viewsWrightUp5hit___

It was The Jam, and not The Style Council. It was going to be part of the "No Nukes" tour and Hammersmith and Fulham wouldn't give the license, at the very last moment.

Also have memories of a late eighties, one day festival with all sorts of bands but I only remember a very, very bad Pepsie and Shirlie.

Then of course there was Steve Marriott and The Moments providing half time entertainment back in 1964. Ask Steve Russell about that one.
Loftus Road Gigs on 16:43 - Jul 24 with 8581 views18StoneOfHoop

A little bit off-topic I'm afraid but I just came across this internet pic of some bio-degradeable chalk graffiti I left on Shepherds Bush Green electricity sub-station near the Wood Lane exit earlier this century. My embryonic QPR sloganising career came to an end soon after when a false cop,a PCO,caught me bang-to-rights,chalk in hand,'in flagrante hoops graffitio' and I incurred an on-the-spot 80 sods fine.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I'm afraid of a hostile critical mauling from our dear Down Under Hoops brethren when they get posting in the (our time) wee small hours. Fair do's. Love you lot really especially Kylie,Natalie Imbruglia,Margot Robbie and Germaine Greer - Strewth what a Sheila!

[Post edited 24 Jul 2016 17:01]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Loftus Road Gigs on 18:03 - Jul 24 with 8529 viewsmcqpr10

Loftus Road Gigs on 12:47 - Jul 24 by Monahoop

McQPR10. Did you attend a pub in Castleblayney to see the Chelsea game or in Monaghan town? I think that match was the FA Cup tie that we lost 1-0. I watched that game at the Squeeling Pig pub in Monaghan town centre where the local R's often congregate. Chances are if you were in 'Blayney it could have been Dermy QPR who sometimes posts on this site. He lives there.

Yes definitely blayney. Forget the name of the pub. Had half the glencarn singing anti Chelsea songs at one point of that trip. Will have to meet all the Monaghan hoops if we on the box next time I'm over!
Loftus Road Gigs on 18:05 - Jul 24 with 8525 viewsMrSheen

Loftus Road Gigs on 16:43 - Jul 24 by 18StoneOfHoop

A little bit off-topic I'm afraid but I just came across this internet pic of some bio-degradeable chalk graffiti I left on Shepherds Bush Green electricity sub-station near the Wood Lane exit earlier this century. My embryonic QPR sloganising career came to an end soon after when a false cop,a PCO,caught me bang-to-rights,chalk in hand,'in flagrante hoops graffitio' and I incurred an on-the-spot 80 sods fine.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I'm afraid of a hostile critical mauling from our dear Down Under Hoops brethren when they get posting in the (our time) wee small hours. Fair do's. Love you lot really especially Kylie,Natalie Imbruglia,Margot Robbie and Germaine Greer - Strewth what a Sheila!

[Post edited 24 Jul 2016 17:01]

Absolutely disgraceful. It should be "FEWER Aussies please".
Loftus Road Gigs on 02:46 - Jul 25 with 8418 viewsSydneyRs

Used to sing Danny Boy before fights and I'm pretty sure he did that night.

We watched on TV wishing we were there as you could tell how great the atmosphere was. A couple of days later we found out that My Dad's mate went but also had spare tickets and hadn't bothered to tell us. I've never forgiven him!
[Post edited 25 Jul 2016 6:09]
Loftus Road Gigs on 09:40 - Jul 25 with 8326 viewsCamberleyR

Barry Mc's dad represented Ireland in the 1968 Eurovision Song Contest held at the Royal Albert Hall and came fourth.

Cliff Richard in second place was robbed. FACT.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eurovision-franco-cliffrichard-idUKL05563544200

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Loftus Road Gigs on 15:15 - Jul 25 with 8236 viewsdermyqpr

Loftus Road Gigs on 18:03 - Jul 24 by mcqpr10

Yes definitely blayney. Forget the name of the pub. Had half the glencarn singing anti Chelsea songs at one point of that trip. Will have to meet all the Monaghan hoops if we on the box next time I'm over!

Don't think it was me that day. The pub is called Dignams and there is another R's fan that comes in with his son sometimes to catch a game. McQPR 10 are you related to Alan B.? He's another local R's fan from the Blayney area.
Couple of months back a young kid gave me a You R's on the street. I told him he didn't fit the profile ( 40-60 middle age spread etc.). Said his dad and all his family are QPR.
Maybe catch you next time.
Loftus Road Gigs on 00:32 - Jul 26 with 8141 viewsNewEnglandR

In football terms Yes are like watching Dave Sextons R's while punk is like watching Dave Bassetts Wimbledon. Each to his own but I know which I prefer.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 0:44]
Loftus Road Gigs on 11:29 - Jul 26 with 8050 viewsfrancisbowles

Loftus Road Gigs on 00:32 - Jul 26 by NewEnglandR

In football terms Yes are like watching Dave Sextons R's while punk is like watching Dave Bassetts Wimbledon. Each to his own but I know which I prefer.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 0:44]

I would have thought Yes were a bit more like Arsenal, lots of individual players who keep passing (the ball or solo) to each other but no cutting edge.

I would have thought Dave Sexton's team would be better compared to Rory Gallagher (Gerry and Stan mixed together), real skill and non stop work leading to another superb and entertaing live performance!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024