Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
These high press tactics 11:42 - Jul 27 with 3711 viewsDando

From watching some of the friendlies including Burton last night, its good to see we are chasing players down much quicker etc. Bit to me it feels all to much like we are focussing everything on working hard and chasing down when we don't have the ball, yet very little quality with the ball.

As everyone says, it is only a friendly which I agree with, but surely a bit of quality on the ball and stringing a few passes together is something we should be capable with whether it is a friendly or not?

At the moment, it all feels a bit flat. Similar to how we ended last season, but fitter and less pace
These high press tactics on 12:07 - Jul 27 with 3629 viewssimmo

It’s going to take time to get the team working together as a unit, rather than what we’re seeing at the moment which is certain players pressing well and others not quite on the same wavelength, that’s why in the friendlies I’ve watched you’re seeing the opposition able to find space between defence and midfield and turn and run. The Burton number 10 was the best player on the pitch last night, but a lot of that was us affording him the space and not executing the system correctly because the midfield pressed and they simply popped it off around the runner to find gaps behind. Everyone needs to work much more as a single unit, which with injuries, rotation and new players coming in, will take more than a month and a few practice games.

We’ll still be something of a work in progress for a little while but the positives are that the base fitness is there and everyone understands what is required of them, it’s just the practice to get it right. I do though agree that play when we haven’t got the ball is only part of it, we seem to be particularly rusty in possession and not clinical in the final 3rd, which I am hoping will be worked on and showcased a bit more against Watford. I’d also like to see us settle on a formation, I still don’t know exactly how we’re trying to line up.

More learnt;
- Lynch looked good, dominating and the bruiser we need at the back
- Bidwell also consistent despite missing some training
- Washington looked quite fit and full of running given he has not been back to training long and I still think he just needs that breakthrough. He does though do a lot of running into the channels and cutting inside, so I still think it might be worth just playing him on the left and letting him get on with it
- Petrasso, although willing and direct, still lacks anything resembling an end product. He needs more game time elsewhere before he’s ready to contest a squad place IMO (sorry, Jamie)
- Perch can play RB or LB and do a solid job
- Cousins is massively important to our midfield and the way we want to play
- We desperately need someone either on the wing or in midfield that can produce in the final 3rd. We look completely blunt without Chery to play through
- There is no pace, Washington aside
- The defence and goalkeepers looks good, whoever is playing
- El Karate had another good game — he’s been the pick of the pre-season IMO

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

These high press tactics on 12:08 - Jul 27 with 3624 viewsrsonist

Thing about the high press is you're supposed to recover while in possession.
These high press tactics on 12:14 - Jul 27 with 3591 viewsPinnerPaul

These high press tactics on 12:07 - Jul 27 by simmo

It’s going to take time to get the team working together as a unit, rather than what we’re seeing at the moment which is certain players pressing well and others not quite on the same wavelength, that’s why in the friendlies I’ve watched you’re seeing the opposition able to find space between defence and midfield and turn and run. The Burton number 10 was the best player on the pitch last night, but a lot of that was us affording him the space and not executing the system correctly because the midfield pressed and they simply popped it off around the runner to find gaps behind. Everyone needs to work much more as a single unit, which with injuries, rotation and new players coming in, will take more than a month and a few practice games.

We’ll still be something of a work in progress for a little while but the positives are that the base fitness is there and everyone understands what is required of them, it’s just the practice to get it right. I do though agree that play when we haven’t got the ball is only part of it, we seem to be particularly rusty in possession and not clinical in the final 3rd, which I am hoping will be worked on and showcased a bit more against Watford. I’d also like to see us settle on a formation, I still don’t know exactly how we’re trying to line up.

More learnt;
- Lynch looked good, dominating and the bruiser we need at the back
- Bidwell also consistent despite missing some training
- Washington looked quite fit and full of running given he has not been back to training long and I still think he just needs that breakthrough. He does though do a lot of running into the channels and cutting inside, so I still think it might be worth just playing him on the left and letting him get on with it
- Petrasso, although willing and direct, still lacks anything resembling an end product. He needs more game time elsewhere before he’s ready to contest a squad place IMO (sorry, Jamie)
- Perch can play RB or LB and do a solid job
- Cousins is massively important to our midfield and the way we want to play
- We desperately need someone either on the wing or in midfield that can produce in the final 3rd. We look completely blunt without Chery to play through
- There is no pace, Washington aside
- The defence and goalkeepers looks good, whoever is playing
- El Karate had another good game — he’s been the pick of the pre-season IMO

Thanks Simmo, useful analysis for someone like me who has only seen the stream of the PSV game so far.
These high press tactics on 12:23 - Jul 27 with 3549 viewsDando

Nasser has definitely looked better than I expected so far. I don't think Polter or Washington are amazing players, but if they get chances then they should score goals. Yesterday we made loads of changes in the second half, but I don't remember having one single chance apart from a last minute long range shot from Chery which hit the corner flag. Really need someone to get some crosses in and play some through balls. I think we may also miss the new polish guy. Henry is solid, but in possession goes backwards, sideways, or long and we cant keep giving the ball away so cheaply
These high press tactics on 12:32 - Jul 27 with 3505 viewsadhoc_qpr

Maybe we are giving possession back to the oppo every time so that we can practice our pressing more
These high press tactics on 12:50 - Jul 27 with 3447 viewsqueensparker

These high press tactics on 12:32 - Jul 27 by adhoc_qpr

Maybe we are giving possession back to the oppo every time so that we can practice our pressing more

That is honestly what it looked like we were doing last night.

To be fair I imagine the first choice JFH midfield would be Cousins, Polish fella, A New Winger, and possibly Luongo/Henry, only one of which was actually playing against Burton.
These high press tactics on 14:00 - Jul 27 with 3269 viewsNorthernr

These high press tactics on 12:32 - Jul 27 by adhoc_qpr

I'm stealing that.
These high press tactics on 14:00 - Jul 27 with 3265 viewsNorthernr

These high press tactics on 12:08 - Jul 27 by rsonist

Thing about the high press is you're supposed to recover while in possession.

And that.
Login to get fewer ads

These high press tactics on 16:05 - Jul 27 with 3089 viewsvegasranger

I managed to watch the first half yesterday and I didn't see much high pressure. Burton seemed to be able to move the ball across the back line pretty easy. Our movement looked very poor. El Khayati is no number 10 ( not even sure he's much of a winger ) Doughty looked rather slow and heavy. Time to move him out. Burton looked a poor team that will struggle this season. Luongo, what does he really do? If this 4-2-3-1 is the future style of QPR , they can shove it.
These high press tactics on 16:18 - Jul 27 with 3060 viewsToast_R

Is it just me or anyone else reckon there's far too much reading into this pre-season bollocks.

I saw a third tier QPR beat Chelsea 3-1 once and a certain Leroy Griffiths steal the show.
I saw second tier QPR beat Premier League Palace 3-0 once where Andy Johnson didn't get as much as a sniff (the days where he could stay fit) It means absolutely f*ckall.

As long as there is game time for the players, the result and performance is largely irrelevant at the moment. It's about fitness and them staying fit for the start of the season.

I dont bother with it anymore, did the Ibiza cup in 2005 and Augsburg in 2012 - I didnt really enjoy the football, I spent way too much on beer and strippers and I've learnt to just ignore the whole shirade until the season starts proper.

Chill out.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2016 16:26]
These high press tactics on 09:33 - Jul 28 with 2723 viewsCamberleyR

These high press tactics on 16:18 - Jul 27 by Toast_R

Is it just me or anyone else reckon there's far too much reading into this pre-season bollocks.

I saw a third tier QPR beat Chelsea 3-1 once and a certain Leroy Griffiths steal the show.
I saw second tier QPR beat Premier League Palace 3-0 once where Andy Johnson didn't get as much as a sniff (the days where he could stay fit) It means absolutely f*ckall.

As long as there is game time for the players, the result and performance is largely irrelevant at the moment. It's about fitness and them staying fit for the start of the season.

I dont bother with it anymore, did the Ibiza cup in 2005 and Augsburg in 2012 - I didnt really enjoy the football, I spent way too much on beer and strippers and I've learnt to just ignore the whole shirade until the season starts proper.

Chill out.

"Is it just me or anyone else reckon there's far too much reading into this pre-season bollocks. As long as there is game time for the players, the result and performance is largely irrelevant at the moment. It's about fitness and them staying fit for the start of the season."

Yep. Pre-season = Fitness + fitness + fitness + trying to avoid injuries. Anything else is a bonus.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

These high press tactics on 09:41 - Jul 28 with 2706 viewsstevec

We're just a Bowles-Givens-Thomas month of signings away from success.
These high press tactics on 10:35 - Jul 28 with 2633 viewsdaveB

These high press tactics on 16:18 - Jul 27 by Toast_R

Chill out.

Those pre seasons did lead to good starts to the season and pretty decent years. I don't think results mean a great deal in pre season but I would like to see more of a plan on how to attack teams and that follows on from what I saw last season
These high press tactics on 11:59 - Jul 28 with 2562 viewsrsonist

These high press tactics on 10:35 - Jul 28 by daveB

Those pre seasons did lead to good starts to the season and pretty decent years. I don't think results mean a great deal in pre season but I would like to see more of a plan on how to attack teams and that follows on from what I saw last season

Yeah this. We keep talking about the high press because at the moment that's really all we actually know about what it is JFH wants. Pep's Barcelona, Klopp's Dortmund, Leicester are all famous examples of pressing sides and they each use it completely differently.
These high press tactics on 12:56 - Jul 28 with 2480 viewsToast_R

The only press I'll be interested in seeing until the season starts is this one

Without doubt the best Cider out there bar none
These high press tactics on 13:10 - Jul 28 with 2444 viewsRangersDave

Mmmmmmm, ice cold drought Stowford Press. Perfect for a hot day, or drowning your post match sorrows.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

These high press tactics on 13:22 - Jul 28 with 2425 viewsbosh67

I would rather JFH worked on the getting the ball in the back of the net tactic. Call me old fashioned.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

These high press tactics on 13:37 - Jul 28 with 2396 viewslosethedrum

These high press tactics on 13:22 - Jul 28 by bosh67

I would rather JFH worked on the getting the ball in the back of the net tactic. Call me old fashioned.

You know how the saying goes " high presses win matches" oh wait that doesnt sound right
[Post edited 28 Jul 2016 13:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024