Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giles Coren 21:37 - Nov 28 with 5027 viewsHantsR

On BBC just now, talking about black footballers and wearing the 'best team colours of all time' ( I think) Nice
Giles Coren on 22:21 - Nov 28 with 4922 viewsflynnbo

Just watching it now where he's talking about having gone to the 82 cup final
Giles Coren on 22:23 - Nov 28 with 4915 viewsLadbrokeR

I just saw that he was wearing a blue and white hooped shirt with a number eight on its back .
Giles Coren on 10:10 - Nov 29 with 4621 viewsPhildo

Bob Hazell was featured heavily in the Adrian Chiles documentary the night before as well as was Les. Well worth a watch.
Giles Coren on 10:46 - Nov 29 with 4573 viewsPeterHucker

I worked in a computer shop back in the 80s and Giles' dad Alan used to come in quite a bit. After he found out I was also a QPR fan he used to talk to me a lot and he was a very funny bloke. He wrote about me in one of his newspaper columns once.

The main thing I remember though was the one time he came in to buy a computer for his teenage daughter Victoria!

Giles Coren on 11:03 - Nov 29 with 4533 viewsjohncharles

Giles Coen's restaurant reviews inthe Times on Saturday are hilarious.

Strong and stable my arse.

Giles Coren on 11:57 - Nov 29 with 4462 viewsKonk

Surely Giles Coren is too middle-class for Rangers?! A bloke who ponces about eating foamed quince for a living? That’s not very working class, is it? And today, I found out that Eric fu cking Bristow, Hackney boy and all that, supports fu cking Chelsea. Unbelievable. I loved that twa t as a kid.

Watched the programme on the Black v White WBA testimonial and just felt incredibly sad. I was only a kid at games in the late 70’s/early 80’s, but I can remember, “You black bastard!” etc. The thought of those players having to put up with literally thousands of people racially abusing them at times, and their families and friends not being able to go along and watch them…genuinely heart breaking stuff. Hazell still looks so angry about it all — terrible. Massive respect to anyone Black or Asian who had the balls to go along to football in those days (and still at some clubs today).

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Giles Coren on 12:04 - Nov 29 with 4444 viewsMrSheen

Giles Coren on 11:57 - Nov 29 by Konk

Surely Giles Coren is too middle-class for Rangers?! A bloke who ponces about eating foamed quince for a living? That’s not very working class, is it? And today, I found out that Eric fu cking Bristow, Hackney boy and all that, supports fu cking Chelsea. Unbelievable. I loved that twa t as a kid.

Watched the programme on the Black v White WBA testimonial and just felt incredibly sad. I was only a kid at games in the late 70’s/early 80’s, but I can remember, “You black bastard!” etc. The thought of those players having to put up with literally thousands of people racially abusing them at times, and their families and friends not being able to go along and watch them…genuinely heart breaking stuff. Hazell still looks so angry about it all — terrible. Massive respect to anyone Black or Asian who had the balls to go along to football in those days (and still at some clubs today).

I may have been looking the wrong way, but I never saw NF papers for sale at our home games in that era, unlike our dear mutual friends, and Charlton, where they seemed to be everywhere. How about down your way?
Giles Coren on 12:13 - Nov 29 with 4420 viewsKonk

Giles Coren on 12:04 - Nov 29 by MrSheen

I may have been looking the wrong way, but I never saw NF papers for sale at our home games in that era, unlike our dear mutual friends, and Charlton, where they seemed to be everywhere. How about down your way?

I was too young to notice NF papers for sale when I was taken to football as a kid, but with us sharing the same catchment area as Chelsea, if you were that way inclined, I think you tended to find your way down the Bridge*. That’s not to say I haven’t heard racist abuse down at Fulham — I’ve heard plenty of grim stuff shouted out over the years — but sadly/gladly, I think we’re pretty average when it comes to that sort of thing rather.

Edit: As an example, I could be wrong, but I'm sure Chubby Henderson of the Headhunters was originally Fulham, but ended up Chelsea because it was the natural home for anyone local who was into extreme right politics and football violence.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2016 12:21]

Login to get fewer ads

Giles Coren on 12:24 - Nov 29 with 4388 viewsMrSheen

Giles Coren on 12:13 - Nov 29 by Konk

I was too young to notice NF papers for sale when I was taken to football as a kid, but with us sharing the same catchment area as Chelsea, if you were that way inclined, I think you tended to find your way down the Bridge*. That’s not to say I haven’t heard racist abuse down at Fulham — I’ve heard plenty of grim stuff shouted out over the years — but sadly/gladly, I think we’re pretty average when it comes to that sort of thing rather.

Edit: As an example, I could be wrong, but I'm sure Chubby Henderson of the Headhunters was originally Fulham, but ended up Chelsea because it was the natural home for anyone local who was into extreme right politics and football violence.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2016 12:21]

I was at school in Ealing, and the kids who liked to wear Nazi armbands they had bought at Wembley market all chose to go to Chelsea. Self-selection, birds of a feather, etc.
Giles Coren on 12:28 - Nov 29 with 4377 viewsKonk

Giles Coren on 12:24 - Nov 29 by MrSheen

I was at school in Ealing, and the kids who liked to wear Nazi armbands they had bought at Wembley market all chose to go to Chelsea. Self-selection, birds of a feather, etc.

I think every other Nazi div in the Home Counties could be found down the Bridge on a Saturday during the 70-80's. Horrible club.

Giles Coren on 12:36 - Nov 29 with 4359 viewsqprxtc

Worst supporters in my experience for that sort of thing were Chelsea, Leeds and Newcastle. As a group of supporters they didn't hold back. But I have heard it at Rangers and at Fulham, however on those occasions they were either individuals or two or three at most. I remember one game in the 80's in the Loft some bloke screaming that he only watched Rangers 'cause we had no darkies' when Leroy Rosenior was making his debut. He got very short shrift from the Loft ('Who's the w@nk3r in the shades' being sung at him, he didn't stay long).

As for Giles Coren, so long as he brings his sister whenever he pops along to LR, he's an honorary oik. She can leave David Mitchell at the door.
Giles Coren on 13:33 - Nov 29 with 4250 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Giles Coren on 10:46 - Nov 29 by PeterHucker

I worked in a computer shop back in the 80s and Giles' dad Alan used to come in quite a bit. After he found out I was also a QPR fan he used to talk to me a lot and he was a very funny bloke. He wrote about me in one of his newspaper columns once.

The main thing I remember though was the one time he came in to buy a computer for his teenage daughter Victoria!

Yes, yes all very interesting, perhaps you can refocus on that gamey minx a bit more!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Giles Coren on 13:42 - Nov 29 with 4230 viewsBlackCrowe

Giles Coren on 12:36 - Nov 29 by qprxtc

Worst supporters in my experience for that sort of thing were Chelsea, Leeds and Newcastle. As a group of supporters they didn't hold back. But I have heard it at Rangers and at Fulham, however on those occasions they were either individuals or two or three at most. I remember one game in the 80's in the Loft some bloke screaming that he only watched Rangers 'cause we had no darkies' when Leroy Rosenior was making his debut. He got very short shrift from the Loft ('Who's the w@nk3r in the shades' being sung at him, he didn't stay long).

As for Giles Coren, so long as he brings his sister whenever he pops along to LR, he's an honorary oik. She can leave David Mitchell at the door.

Rangers weren't blameless alas. I remember a match against Spurs when i must've been 14 or 15 where the Loft were in full voice chanting to Garth Crooks - 'who's that up a tree...etc etc' and to Steve Archibald...'he's just a Scottish jew.. etc etc.".

Shocking stuff but at the time i didn't really think it remarkable which i guess shows how rife that kind of filth was in those days.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Giles Coren on 13:50 - Nov 29 with 4210 viewsEsox_Lucius

Giles Coren on 11:57 - Nov 29 by Konk

The next barrier to be broken would appear to be homophobia, let's hope it doesn't take as long this time.

The grass is always greener.

Giles Coren on 23:08 - Nov 29 with 3960 viewsradfords

Of course we're not blameless.

I can still remember the little ditty reserved for Tottenham's visit.
Giles Coren on 02:20 - Nov 30 with 3893 viewsBoston

Henderson was Fulham when I first met him. A lot of the blokes he hung around with were Chelsea active service types and he gradually switched over.

Anyone who is under the impression that Rangers were unaffected by racial chanting / baiting, or having supporters of various non main stream political groups in the crowd are misguided.
a/ Keelan is a Paki
b/ Every Jewish song under the sun when we played Spurs.
c/ I'd rather be a Paki than a Red (for the visit of Man Utd)
...and of course the not so organised, sporadic chants targeting specific black individuals.
Though this might read like the Loft was full of National Front, it was not, the songs / chants mainly as pure goading to the oppo fans, most of the lads from back in the 70's not overly opinionated one way or the other about your colour or religion.
Within the larger groups at LR, Notting Hill in particular and a number of the Grove were paid up members of the Front, one chap, well known to this day, was never shy to share his party of political affiliation. But yet again I must stress, these views were held by a minority and I cannot recall in the hundreds of matches I attended, any fan or supporter of our club being abused for skin complexion.
Do remember an incident at a West Ham home fixture when our merry band were tumbled by the Hammers as we were keeping a low profile on the Loft terrace, position given away by the inclusion in our midst of a rather tall well built gent of Jamaican extraction.After the shout of "get the nigga", only a disciplined rearguard defence and the cooperation of the SAR / Paddock stewards who opened a gate and let us through, saved us all from ending up black....and blue.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2016 2:33]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Giles Coren on 08:59 - Nov 30 with 3727 views1MoreBrightonR

what was the program called?
Giles Coren on 09:38 - Nov 30 with 3693 viewsGloryHunter

Giles Coren on 08:59 - Nov 30 by 1MoreBrightonR

what was the program called?

"Whites vs Blacks - How Football Changed a Nation".

View here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084fmgv
Giles Coren on 10:00 - Nov 30 with 3657 viewsMrSheen

Giles Coren on 02:20 - Nov 30 by Boston

Henderson was Fulham when I first met him. A lot of the blokes he hung around with were Chelsea active service types and he gradually switched over.

Anyone who is under the impression that Rangers were unaffected by racial chanting / baiting, or having supporters of various non main stream political groups in the crowd are misguided.
a/ Keelan is a Paki
b/ Every Jewish song under the sun when we played Spurs.
c/ I'd rather be a Paki than a Red (for the visit of Man Utd)
...and of course the not so organised, sporadic chants targeting specific black individuals.
Though this might read like the Loft was full of National Front, it was not, the songs / chants mainly as pure goading to the oppo fans, most of the lads from back in the 70's not overly opinionated one way or the other about your colour or religion.
Within the larger groups at LR, Notting Hill in particular and a number of the Grove were paid up members of the Front, one chap, well known to this day, was never shy to share his party of political affiliation. But yet again I must stress, these views were held by a minority and I cannot recall in the hundreds of matches I attended, any fan or supporter of our club being abused for skin complexion.
Do remember an incident at a West Ham home fixture when our merry band were tumbled by the Hammers as we were keeping a low profile on the Loft terrace, position given away by the inclusion in our midst of a rather tall well built gent of Jamaican extraction.After the shout of "get the nigga", only a disciplined rearguard defence and the cooperation of the SAR / Paddock stewards who opened a gate and let us through, saved us all from ending up black....and blue.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2016 2:33]

The '82 cup run was the worst - bananas thrown at Cyrille Regis and songs about Hitler, but it seemed to vanish away straight after.
Giles Coren on 11:06 - Nov 30 with 3602 viewshoof_hearted

The attitudes changed after the Brixton riots and the Scarman report. Coincidentally about the time of our racist cup run!

I was a steward in the away end in those days and the police were always in the ground with us so I could hear their little chats between themselves. Paraphrasing to illustrate the point, the chats immediately changed from "that black bloke looks like trouble, let's nick him" to "he's singing racist songs, nick him".
Giles Coren on 12:02 - Nov 30 with 3548 viewsthame_hoops

What about the awful racism at loftus road when Robbie took his Indian girlfriend in Grange Hill, shocking stuff
Giles Coren on 12:31 - Nov 30 with 3497 viewsizlingtonhoop

Giles Coren on 12:36 - Nov 29 by qprxtc

Leroy himself - when he was doing anti-racism lessons where I work - told me that the one time they went to watch a match at LR, his family sat in front of a fella who slung racial epithets throughout the game.

After the match his family witnessed the same person shake their brother's hand in the lounge. He said they were outraged and never went again.
Giles Coren on 12:38 - Nov 30 with 3489 viewshoof_hearted

At Chelsea in the early eighties, I witnessed one of their finest shouting his support to Paul Cannoville, the Chelsea black winger. "Come on our n!gger" he cheered, in between bouts of sieg heiling. Absolutely true.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024