Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vinyl 14:22 - Dec 20 with 13656 viewsMonahoop

Vinyl is back. Now outselling the product that virtually killed it, the CD. But why? As a music collector I couldn't wait to see the back of vinyl, though I did miss being able to read the sleeve notes and inserts without the need of a microscope as with the CD. But that was the only advantage of the vinyl LP imo. They scratched, they warped and you had to get up to turn the disc over to hear a second installment of the album. Plus you needed a healthy stylus and a good turn table drive belt if you wanted to get any half decent sound and the disc to turn at the correct revolutions. John Peel once quoted that background noise is essential. Well yes, to a point, but when listening to music I don't want to listen to snap, crackle and pop Rice Crispy noises often associated with vinyl ruining my listening experience.
So why the resurgence in this outdated form of listening material I ask myself? Is it just a fad? Is it a niche market for hipsters who I hear hang their LP's on the walls in their retro decor abodes rather than play them. Are they back to fuel nostalgic 40 to 50 somethings of what life was like before the word digital conquered the tech world. I don't buy this old romantic tosh I've heard it said by some music fans, they like the smell of vinyl, especially after it has come off the turn table a bit warmer than when it went on. Or the experience of delicately pulling the LP out of its paper sleeve and relishing the site of the glossy disc poised carefully in the tips of your fingers. Tripe! Just play the bloody thing! Plus vinyl these days is expensive often horribly so.
I still have lots of vinyl LPs though I've sold a few and a good turntable of 30 years vintage, but I rarely play them. They are just a collection of my listening past. And that's where vinyl belongs, in the past or cluttering up corners of charity shops or antique and collectors stores. Any fans or detractors of vinyl out there like to comment?

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Vinyl on 14:27 - Dec 20 with 8820 viewsRs_Holy

I sold all my vinyl at a car boot around 15 years ago...... A collector offered me £20 for the lot :(
Vinyl on 14:37 - Dec 20 with 8791 viewsrobith

As someone who has quite a lot of vinyl despite being relatively young (well, 32) the answer is in this increasingly digitalised world, people fetishise the physical. Especially in music terms I like to support artists I really care about. But also if I stream an album, hell if you download it off the itunes store, it isn't yours. It's a ephemeral piece of code a multinational corporation can make obsolete or disappear at the drop of hat. A vinyl album is real; a tangible thing that belongs to me. Especially as music is so passing now due to how easy it is to listen to anything, it's nice to have to make some effort to listen to it
Vinyl on 14:38 - Dec 20 with 8788 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I sold all mine (mostly from the NH record exchanges and made a profit!)

I kept a few back like this

Now I run my CD's through DBpoweramp to get rid of volume control. It's great for old non remastered CD's.
Unfortunate though if you sit near me on the tube.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Vinyl on 14:52 - Dec 20 with 8764 viewsBrightonhoop

I much prefer the analogue sound and vinyl is so physical, immediate, the covers were art, great photography and through an old Marantz amp and some jaw speakers could instantly put you in a better place.
I haven't bought either digital or vinyl for over a decade so am glad to hear it is making a revival. I think the last vinyl I bought was Wellers Stanley Road with Peter Blakes pop art on the cover. Might just have to give it a spin.
Vinyl on 14:59 - Dec 20 with 8744 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Kill 'Em All re-mastered was £27 in HMV!

Seems like there is money to be made in the revival. (i think it had extra stuff with it but even so my first Vinyl of it was £2)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Vinyl on 16:19 - Dec 20 with 8673 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Oh balls. I thought OP was referring to the HBO series coming back from being cancelled...
Vinyl on 16:20 - Dec 20 with 8672 viewsMonahoop

Vinyl on 14:37 - Dec 20 by robith

As someone who has quite a lot of vinyl despite being relatively young (well, 32) the answer is in this increasingly digitalised world, people fetishise the physical. Especially in music terms I like to support artists I really care about. But also if I stream an album, hell if you download it off the itunes store, it isn't yours. It's a ephemeral piece of code a multinational corporation can make obsolete or disappear at the drop of hat. A vinyl album is real; a tangible thing that belongs to me. Especially as music is so passing now due to how easy it is to listen to anything, it's nice to have to make some effort to listen to it

The same could also said of the CD Robith. That too is real and a lot more practical or efficient than the cumbersome vinyl LP. I agree with your comments about downloading though, but each to their own. Like you I like to give back something to the artists by supporting their work be it through buying a CD or as in the past a vinyl LP.
What next for the nostalgic fetishers? TV's where you have to physically get up to switch channel, adjust the brightness or volume etc? Oh and they must be monochrome sets. Remote controls, colour?? Pah!

Vinyl on 16:28 - Dec 20 with 8651 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Vinyl on 16:20 - Dec 20 by Monahoop

The same could also said of the CD Robith. That too is real and a lot more practical or efficient than the cumbersome vinyl LP. I agree with your comments about downloading though, but each to their own. Like you I like to give back something to the artists by supporting their work be it through buying a CD or as in the past a vinyl LP.
What next for the nostalgic fetishers? TV's where you have to physically get up to switch channel, adjust the brightness or volume etc? Oh and they must be monochrome sets. Remote controls, colour?? Pah!

I only buy CDs.

As Robith said, it's a craving of the physical and satisfies the collector in me.

A big list of words on my computer doesn't cut it.
Login to get fewer ads

Vinyl on 16:29 - Dec 20 with 8651 viewsMrSheen

My kids will listen to anything on vinyl, Fleetwood Mac, ELO, there's no depth they won't fathom. None of them has a CD player.

Vinyl on 16:32 - Dec 20 with 8643 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Vinyl on 16:29 - Dec 20 by MrSheen

My kids will listen to anything on vinyl, Fleetwood Mac, ELO, there's no depth they won't fathom. None of them has a CD player.

Maybe your fella cheated on you because of your awful grammar love.
Vinyl on 16:36 - Dec 20 with 8637 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Need summat to bulid a joint on.
Vinyl on 16:38 - Dec 20 with 8629 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Vinyl on 16:36 - Dec 20 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Need summat to bulid a joint on.

There are a lot of carpenters on here aren't there.....
Vinyl on 16:45 - Dec 20 with 8618 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Vinyl on 16:38 - Dec 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

There are a lot of carpenters on here aren't there.....

Heh, there's a few tools an' all
Vinyl on 18:37 - Dec 20 with 8549 viewsPunteR

Vinyl on 14:37 - Dec 20 by robith

Agree, I feel you don't really own the music until you have it on vinyl.
Hate CDs. I especially hate CD covers. Always break, always one in the foot well of a car getting broke.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Vinyl on 20:08 - Dec 20 with 8494 viewsngbqpr

Agree with both robith & PunteR.

I still collect vinyl (and yes I do have a turntable which I play it on!); and my two older kids, with no parental pressure, got turntables and have started to collect.

There are pro & con arguments sound-wise for all formats...but music is central to my life, football a distant second as my other obsession, and streaming / downloading for me belittles it somewhat...even CDs seem relatively disposable.

The artwork, the sleevenotes, the photography, the credits....these were all part of the package for me when growing up, and still are. I do love my iPod too, so am not a total luddite, but most new LPs now include a download code in the price. It can be expensive, but compared to the prices I paid in the 70s / 80s, I'd say it hasn't gone up more relatively speaking than many other things...and on sites like Discogs, you can find some very reasonably priced secondhand stuff.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2016 20:08]

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Vinyl on 20:12 - Dec 20 with 8486 viewsBoston

Vinyl on 14:27 - Dec 20 by Rs_Holy

I sold all my vinyl at a car boot around 15 years ago...... A collector offered me £20 for the lot :(

Was he mugged?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Vinyl on 20:33 - Dec 20 with 8459 viewsLblock

Vinyl lives, it breathes, it gives you a deep and rich sound and if you're using a Technics deck, a Stanton cartridge, pro-mix amp, Numark processor mixer and Scott NRG15 speakers then I'm in heaven

I'll concede that digitised format was and is revolutionary --- my first generation iPod blew my mind; how could you fit all those tunes into a cigarette box?!? I've just started building a SONOS system and combining it with a Speakercraft stereo speaker has opened my ears to deeper sounds on a few tracks I knew.

But vinyl is and will always be my favourite format. You cannot beat opening that cellophane shrink wrap on the the thigh of your jeans, pouring that black slab into your hands and placing it lovingly on the slipmatt and placing the needle in the groove and.....bam!!!!

As for the HBO series VINYL - that was pure class and I'd love to see another series
Kill The Lights is an absolute stormer of a track!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Vinyl on 20:47 - Dec 20 with 8436 viewsPunteR

Vinyl on 20:08 - Dec 20 by ngbqpr

Agree with both robith & PunteR.

I still collect vinyl (and yes I do have a turntable which I play it on!); and my two older kids, with no parental pressure, got turntables and have started to collect.

There are pro & con arguments sound-wise for all formats...but music is central to my life, football a distant second as my other obsession, and streaming / downloading for me belittles it somewhat...even CDs seem relatively disposable.

The artwork, the sleevenotes, the photography, the credits....these were all part of the package for me when growing up, and still are. I do love my iPod too, so am not a total luddite, but most new LPs now include a download code in the price. It can be expensive, but compared to the prices I paid in the 70s / 80s, I'd say it hasn't gone up more relatively speaking than many other things...and on sites like Discogs, you can find some very reasonably priced secondhand stuff.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2016 20:08]

Discogs is a brilliant site. Very easy to use, good customer service and some decent sellers.
Not to mention vast amounts of vinyl. I only buy House so not sure what its like for other genres but I've always managed to get hold of a tune I like. Bought that Phase 2" Reachin"
from Discogs thanks to you ngbqpr. Cheers mate. :)

Vinyl on 20:48 - Dec 20 with 8435 viewsDWQPR

Vinyl on 20:33 - Dec 20 by Lblock

Vinyl lives, it breathes, it gives you a deep and rich sound and if you're using a Technics deck, a Stanton cartridge, pro-mix amp, Numark processor mixer and Scott NRG15 speakers then I'm in heaven

I'll concede that digitised format was and is revolutionary --- my first generation iPod blew my mind; how could you fit all those tunes into a cigarette box?!? I've just started building a SONOS system and combining it with a Speakercraft stereo speaker has opened my ears to deeper sounds on a few tracks I knew.

But vinyl is and will always be my favourite format. You cannot beat opening that cellophane shrink wrap on the the thigh of your jeans, pouring that black slab into your hands and placing it lovingly on the slipmatt and placing the needle in the groove and.....bam!!!!

As for the HBO series VINYL - that was pure class and I'd love to see another series
Kill The Lights is an absolute stormer of a track!!

For those of you that have fallen out of love of vinyl and prefer the world of download shîte I suggest that you take a visit down Rough Trade just off the north end of Portobello Road and rediscover the innocence of youth that is vinyl. A pure Alladins cave. When my first marriage broke up, I didn't give a shîte about the house, the savings c., my ex had nicked my vinyl collection and that is all I wanted back. Suffice to say I got it and now it is safely horded away, complete original collections of The Clash and The Jam take pride of place. They are now in my will and will be passed onto my daughter who is a vinyl addict.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Vinyl on 20:59 - Dec 20 with 8413 viewsted_hendrix

I do believe thee was a similar thread earlier in the year?
Anyway, like most I sold my LP's many years ago and miss them badly, I remember trying to buy an LP by Creedence Clearwater Revival decades ago that had a particular song on it called 'The Midnight Special' there was no internet in them day's, anyway a bloke in one of the record stores managed to order me a CCR LP the only one that had 'The Midnight Special' on it, the thing took 5 days to come and when it did I took it home and like a big stupid kid, I looked at it, smelt inside the sleeve, took the goddam thing out and played the last track on side 1 repeatedly for about 10 times, the first time the opening chords to 'The Midnight Special' rang out was absolute bliss, anybody who doesn't know or understand what I'm talking about hard luck.
I had a Leak turntable, Leak amplifier and two Leak speakers.
Anyway, never mind all this bolox.
About a Month ago with the lack of loud music in the house I started researching wireless speakers.
I'm now the owner of a Bose Soundlink Mini Mk2, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone they are a fantastic bit of kit, wirelessly connected to my laptop, the Wifes IPad and my miniI IPad, the sound you get out of them is second to none. The Missus loves it. £149.99, I'm now a digital oddball, I'm wireless.

Yonder come miss Rosie, how in the world did you know?
By the way she wears her apron, and the clothes she wore.
Umbrella on her shoulder, piece of paper in her hand;
She come to see the gov´nor, she wants to free her man.

Let the Midnight Special shine a light on me

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Vinyl on 21:08 - Dec 20 with 8400 viewsToast_R

Toyed with the idea quite recently having seen a few Bluetooth decks that would work well with my receiver. I would love to hear the deep sound of vinyl coming through on my system and I was very tempted when I saw a Queen release from a BBC studio session consisting of 4 records, the like I've never seen on CD or to download. But what put me off was checking out that and other classic albums in HMV recently and seeing the bloody retail prices. Upwards of a score for albums I already own? Not really worth the investment. When they inevitably get scratched, there's no coming back from it.

Then there is the storage issue. All my CD's are confined to the loft having been ripped to my external wireless Hard drive, so do I really want to start shelving vinyl sleeves in my living room taking up space? Not particularly, the Mrs wouldn't be too happy.

I lived near one of the biggest and longest running record stores in the South, Langley Records in West Molesey. Sadly he got shut down recently by the ROYAL MAIL who took over building despite a lot of protest. A real shame as he'd been around for years.
Vinyl on 22:34 - Dec 20 with 8326 viewsMonahoop

Vinyl on 18:37 - Dec 20 by PunteR

Agree, I feel you don't really own the music until you have it on vinyl.
Hate CDs. I especially hate CD covers. Always break, always one in the foot well of a car getting broke.

Granted, CD covers can be a nuisance, but ever tried playing vinyl in a car? I always have a stash of CDs in the car as most music radio stations play utter tripe. And I'll concede to the fact that the resurgence of vinyl has rescued alot of independent record stores from drifting into obscurity. Record shops are like sweet shops to me, if it's any good I have to be physically dragged out of it. But would I buy new vinyl? I was tempted not so long ago with some Otis Redding stuff but I resisted at the last moment realising I had it on CD. I realise too some collectible stuff was never put into CD format so second hand vinyl is the only route for physical experience. Oh well, whatever method you want to listen, enjoy and that goes to the vinyl sniffers on here. Weird!

Vinyl on 23:12 - Dec 20 with 8302 viewsPunteR

Vinyl on 22:34 - Dec 20 by Monahoop

Granted, CD covers can be a nuisance, but ever tried playing vinyl in a car? I always have a stash of CDs in the car as most music radio stations play utter tripe. And I'll concede to the fact that the resurgence of vinyl has rescued alot of independent record stores from drifting into obscurity. Record shops are like sweet shops to me, if it's any good I have to be physically dragged out of it. But would I buy new vinyl? I was tempted not so long ago with some Otis Redding stuff but I resisted at the last moment realising I had it on CD. I realise too some collectible stuff was never put into CD format so second hand vinyl is the only route for physical experience. Oh well, whatever method you want to listen, enjoy and that goes to the vinyl sniffers on here. Weird!

Ha, I've still got a tape player in my van!.
Looking forward to the cassette revival ..

Vinyl on 00:04 - Dec 21 with 8276 viewsqueensparker

Vinyl on 23:12 - Dec 20 by PunteR

Ha, I've still got a tape player in my van!.
Looking forward to the cassette revival ..

Now we're talking. My musical heyday was around 86-97 which means most of my treasured music was all on tape - originals, mix tapes, copies of stuff from Ealing library, recordings of pirate radio and John Peel etc SAX90s for the win

Got a lot of vinyl too but it's the tapes I treasure, currently driving round in a knackered old Audi with a tape deck and it's brilliant. Amazingly they pretty much all still work too

Bring back the tape!
Vinyl on 00:17 - Dec 21 with 8267 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Vinyl on 20:47 - Dec 20 by PunteR

Discogs is a brilliant site. Very easy to use, good customer service and some decent sellers.
Not to mention vast amounts of vinyl. I only buy House so not sure what its like for other genres but I've always managed to get hold of a tune I like. Bought that Phase 2" Reachin"
from Discogs thanks to you ngbqpr. Cheers mate. :)

Great track Reachin mate. Did it have a UK release.? I've got it on that Garage sound of Deepest New York compilation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024