Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 3 year contract - stick or twist time... 17:41 - Jan 4 with 1806 viewsbaz_qpr

Interesting to hear people bemoan the club doing exactly what those same people were saying we should be doing.

18 months ago we signed a load of players that were either from abroad or "hungry" young players.

Most of these would be on 3 year contracts. So we get to 18 months gone with 18 months to go and the club has a choice. They do one of three things

1. Renew a contract which will mean increased wages for that player in most cases, or a period of being unsettled while that is negotiated

2. Sell , So in the case of Polter and Chery probably not going to get a longer term both looking to move on they only have value really between 2 years and 18 months left unless they are tearing up trees, Smithies unless he signs a new contract you are probably going to sell knowing you've got a ready made back up

3. Run the contract down this is carries the most risk to both the club and the player unless the player is doing well

That is the reality of modern football though, which is why we will turn over another 5 or 6 players this window maybe a few perms and a few loans
The 3 year contract - stick or twist time... on 17:55 - Jan 4 with 1754 viewsPunteR

Is this what all the other clubs are doing?
Club looks unsettled to me. All paper and social media talk atm though...
I hope there is method in their madness..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The 3 year contract - stick or twist time... on 18:57 - Jan 4 with 1642 viewsMedwayR

I guess the ideal situation is a 3 year deal with the option (for the club!!) to extend by a year. I'd imagine that in most cases this will result in the club offering an improved deal which is fair enough if they've earned it.

I think there's generally a lot of turnover of players at a lot of clubs because there's little loyalty from players and there's always good money to be earned elsewhere, that's the market that clubs willingly participate in.

If they want a stable squad the best way to do this is with a good balance of:
1) Youth players (and/or lower league rough diamonds)
2) A few players who won't do any better than the club they're with
3) A couple of experienced pros who will hang around until their legs give up
4) That leaves probably the bulk of the team who you'd hope to get 3-4 years from before they outgrow the club and move up a level or the club gets promoted and they'll hang around longer.

At the moment we're getting there with 1), we have several from 2), 3) is probably only Mackie and Henry who's probably leaving anyway, we've got a few from 4) but not enough of any quality.

Any players that don't fit into the above are either not good enough or leftovers from our big spending days. Obviously with 3 year contracts if they're good we have to work hard at the moment to get them to sign an extension. I expect for a few more years we'll have a higher than ideal turnover of players while we work on the squad.

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024