Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR Island Games Football draw 17:04 - Jan 30 with 2456 viewskarl

For the handful interested the draw was made for the Inter Island Games football competition today.
Orkney are in Group A with 2015 Bronze medallists Menorca, Jersey, who always have a strong team and Alderney who we have to view as our winnable fixture.
Group B: Gotland (host island, Sweden) Froya (Norway) Greenland and Western Isles
Group C: Guernsey (Gold last time), Aland (Sweden) Saaremaa (Estonia) and Shetland (boo!)
Group D: Isle of Man (Silver) Hitra (Norway) Ynys Mon, Falklands

The first named teams are the seeds and everyone else was out of the hat. Play each group member once then you play for positions i.e Winners of groups play a semi and final for positions 1-4, 2nd placed teams play each other for 5th - 8th and so on.
Orkney realistic aim will be to finish third in group and then obviously try to finish 9th, which as the 11th sized population is a par position?
Fixtures are released on 8th Feb if anyone is remotely interested

Edit 5 games in 6 days so not easy, max 20 players in squad
[Post edited 30 Jan 2017 17:06]
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 17:41 - Jan 30 with 2435 viewsterryb

Thanks Karl.

Good luck to you.

Will the Guernsey side be their Isthmian League team? I have no idea if that side is made up of Islanders or is added to from the mainland.
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 17:52 - Jan 30 with 2424 viewsHantsR

What with the recent TV series on Orkney plus my forthcoming stay in July on South Ronaldsay and Hoy, I've become very interested and will be rooting for your team.
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 18:07 - Jan 30 with 2412 viewskarl

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 17:41 - Jan 30 by terryb

Thanks Karl.

Good luck to you.

Will the Guernsey side be their Isthmian League team? I have no idea if that side is made up of Islanders or is added to from the mainland.

Thanks Terry, the qualifying criteria are; Born on the Island (Mothers address on your birth certificate has to be within the Island since many children are now born in Mainland hospitals, including both mine) or resident for a minimum period (12 months) at a certain date before the competition and as far as i know thats it ie. no grannies etc!
Be interesting what that does to Guernseys team?
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 18:08 - Jan 30 with 2411 viewskarl

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 17:52 - Jan 30 by HantsR

What with the recent TV series on Orkney plus my forthcoming stay in July on South Ronaldsay and Hoy, I've become very interested and will be rooting for your team.

Be good meeting up, hopefully we'll have the shiny 9th placed trophy by then! haha
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 21:15 - Jan 30 with 2358 viewsdistortR

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 18:08 - Jan 30 by karl

Be good meeting up, hopefully we'll have the shiny 9th placed trophy by then! haha

jersey always whinge that the IoM kick them! Good luck Karl, and if you get to play IoM at any point, i expect a touchline spat with Bass!
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 21:30 - Jan 30 with 2344 viewsonlyrinmoray

I assume Shetland will fly to Gotland in their private jet You guys will be sailing out of Stromness in one of the fishing boats

Have Sky got screening rights ?..more likely BBC Alba I suppose with English sub titles
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 21:37 - Jan 30 with 2327 viewskarl

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 21:30 - Jan 30 by onlyrinmoray

I assume Shetland will fly to Gotland in their private jet You guys will be sailing out of Stromness in one of the fishing boats

Have Sky got screening rights ?..more likely BBC Alba I suppose with English sub titles

You won't believe our travel arrangements Robin, our ferry company are insistent they must sponsor us but they would never hand over cash so they're taking us free on a 8-10 hour ferry trip to Aberdeen where we're jumping on a chartered plane. We could have chartered the bl00dy thing from Orkney for the same price but oh no we've got to take two more days off work to make Serco Northlink look good! You couldnt make it up, and we'll probably sleeping on seats too knowing those ar5eholes while the Shelties get the bunks.

Yes mate i'll definitely get a hold of Bass, I never liked him!
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 22:49 - Jan 30 with 2298 viewsBrianMcCarthy

No Irish teams?

Racists!

PS. Best of luck, Karl!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 22:53 - Jan 30 with 2296 viewskarl

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 22:49 - Jan 30 by BrianMcCarthy

No Irish teams?

Racists!

PS. Best of luck, Karl!

Whats the population numbers of the Irish islands Brian? I'm assuming not many have a large population as it doesn't look like they've ever been at a games.
Of course not being invited could be a large part of that.......
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 23:13 - Jan 30 with 2282 viewsted_hendrix

Good luck with It Karl, your our only chance of a cup run of sorts this season.
Keep us up to speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 23:21 - Jan 30 with 2275 viewskarl

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 23:13 - Jan 30 by ted_hendrix

Good luck with It Karl, your our only chance of a cup run of sorts this season.
Keep us up to speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cheers Ted, we still play Shetland at the end of July. Its up in Shetland this year and we haven't won there since 1981, hellish!
Perhaps QPR should lobby for a 'round robin' set up for the FA cup, we'd get to see a few games then?!
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 08:59 - Jan 31 with 2220 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Good Luck!

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 09:04 - Jan 31 with 2216 viewsaston_hoop

Good luck Karl, hope you stuff those Menorcan bastards. Coming over here with their exceptional cheese and super relaxed way of life!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 09:33 - Jan 31 with 2192 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 22:53 - Jan 30 by karl

Whats the population numbers of the Irish islands Brian? I'm assuming not many have a large population as it doesn't look like they've ever been at a games.
Of course not being invited could be a large part of that.......

Had to look it up!

Achill at 2,500 is the biggest
Most have only a couple of hundred.

I wonder if they would play, if asked... I know there's a Gaelic Football tournament where they all field teams. They would probably struggle to be competitive with those numbers, I'd imagine!

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 09:33 - Jan 31 with 2190 viewsisawqpratwcity

We'd love to hear more, Karl.

As of now, we are all Orkneyans!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 09:35 - Jan 31 with 2184 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 09:33 - Jan 31 by isawqpratwcity

We'd love to hear more, Karl.

As of now, we are all Orkneyans!

Would love to go!

The fact that it's in Sweden where Swedish women live is not a factor in my decision. Oh no.

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 09:47 - Jan 31 with 2171 viewsMrSheen

Do the Falklands ever get to be hosts? Tricky place to go and get a result (especially by ferry).
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 10:25 - Jan 31 with 2155 viewskarl

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 09:33 - Jan 31 by BrianMcCarthy

Had to look it up!

I wonder if they would play, if asked... I know there's a Gaelic Football tournament where they all field teams. They would probably struggle to be competitive with those numbers, I'd imagine!

Thats similar numbers to Hitra, Froya, Falklands and Alderney.
The football is part of the overall 'Island Games' which are a mini multi sport event.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Games
Its perhaps surprising that there hasn't been a solo competitor in any event than entering a team in the football (which is limited to 16 teams). We got in as late entries as i think the Isle of Wight pulled out, this is an expensive trip costing each player about £1000, Swedish sightseeing isnt cheap Bri!
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 10:34 - Jan 31 with 2143 viewskarl

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 09:47 - Jan 31 by MrSheen

Do the Falklands ever get to be hosts? Tricky place to go and get a result (especially by ferry).

Falklands won't get to be hosts id think, its very expensive to host as essentially your are a small island and you have approx 2500 people to accomodate for a week.
Gibraltar still havent sorted their accomodation for 2019 as they assumed they would use 'floatels' in the harbour but they got a huge surprise when they were quoted £2.5m for the use of them!
We're in the process of bidding for 2023 and this is still our major concern for commiting to taking it on.
The Falklands team are transported in RAF transporters and most of the football team i played against were forces personnel, i'm sure many will be on fairly long 'placements' when they're based there so qualify under the 12 month residency rule
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 10:42 - Jan 31 with 2135 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 10:25 - Jan 31 by karl

Thats similar numbers to Hitra, Froya, Falklands and Alderney.
The football is part of the overall 'Island Games' which are a mini multi sport event.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Games
Its perhaps surprising that there hasn't been a solo competitor in any event than entering a team in the football (which is limited to 16 teams). We got in as late entries as i think the Isle of Wight pulled out, this is an expensive trip costing each player about £1000, Swedish sightseeing isnt cheap Bri!

Ya, but think of the sights! Lucky begger!

Best of luck with it, my man!

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 16:06 - Jan 31 with 2074 viewsdistortR

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 09:33 - Jan 31 by BrianMcCarthy

Had to look it up!

To be fair, not being particularly Irish has never stopped anyone playing for the RoI, so I don't see the fact that some of the islands are uninhabited as a problem to them fielding a team in the island games.

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 16:13 - Jan 31 with 2071 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Shetland are pony.....
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 16:40 - Jan 31 with 2042 viewskarl

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 16:13 - Jan 31 by BazzaInTheLoft

Shetland are pony.....

Their captain played in the Highland League and was nicknamed the Shetland Pony, he's a very good player and is about 6'4''
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 16:43 - Jan 31 with 2038 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 16:40 - Jan 31 by karl

Their captain played in the Highland League and was nicknamed the Shetland Pony, he's a very good player and is about 6'4''

Ok, don't tell him I said that then!
Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 16:58 - Jan 31 with 2027 viewskarl

Non QPR Island Games Football draw on 16:43 - Jan 31 by BazzaInTheLoft

Ok, don't tell him I said that then!

Our 5'4'' (no exaggeration) centre midfielder went through him and he had to be subbed off in the game last year, real shame.......
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024