Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guinness 20:13 - May 13 with 6267 viewsloftboy

Now you are probably all going to laugh at me, I tried a pint of the Black stuff when I was 18 and hated it, never drunk it since, any how a couple of weeks ago I was on a weeks trip to New York, place is full of Irish bars, my mate was drinking loads of it, so I bit the bullet and ordered a pint, fûck me what have I missed for the last 32 years, haven't drank anything else since I've been home.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 10:13]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Guinness on 20:38 - May 13 with 4743 viewsWatford_Ranger

Amen brother.

Personally like it with a drop of blackcurrant but I'm middle class and from Herts. Beats fizzy pop piss lager any day even if the barman doesn't know how to pour it.
Guinness on 21:12 - May 13 with 4686 viewsqprxtc

It's Gods drink (but as he/she doesn't exist, so
Guinness may not!!).

Being a plastic paddy, I was always probably going to drink it but Rangers being sponsored by them sealed my fate.

Rarely drunk anything since. It'll give you black poos, fart like a gibbon and you'll gain enough weight for theee people.

But you'll be better than everyone else because Guinness makes it so.

And wait till you try it in Ireland......
Guinness on 21:19 - May 13 with 4663 viewsToast_R

All my father in law drinks but he refuses the Extra Cold version which is pretty much all you get in most pubs nowadays. Best Guinness near me is at The White Horse in Lower Sunbury.
Guinness on 21:42 - May 13 with 4633 viewsqprxtc

Also:

If anyone tries to put their finger in the Guinness and make a shamrock, make a shamrock out of their face.

Simarliy, if they pour it in one go and give it to you whilst it's still settling(this will never ever EVER happen in Ireland) sling it back at them.

Bascivally let no git touch it, or you ll touch them inappropriately!

Be feckin warned.
Guinness on 22:01 - May 13 with 4583 viewsstowmarketrange

Guinness on 21:12 - May 13 by qprxtc

It's Gods drink (but as he/she doesn't exist, so
Guinness may not!!).

Being a plastic paddy, I was always probably going to drink it but Rangers being sponsored by them sealed my fate.

Rarely drunk anything since. It'll give you black poos, fart like a gibbon and you'll gain enough weight for theee people.

But you'll be better than everyone else because Guinness makes it so.

And wait till you try it in Ireland......

It used to give me a headache over here drinking the stuff brewed in Park Royal,but I thought the pain was worth the pleasure.Then I went to Ireland for a mates wedding and drank it for the whole day and night without any after effects.
It really was like chalk and cheese,but apparently it's all made in Dublin now.Maybe it's the way some pubs over here pour it that makes the difference.
Guinness on 22:02 - May 13 with 4582 viewsMonahoop

Only drink it here in Ireland and nowhere else. If in Cork try
Beamish. A bit sweeter than Guinness, but satisfying all the same.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Guinness on 22:55 - May 13 with 4500 viewsMrSheen

My first job after University was in the Park Royal brewery. They used to swear that the only difference was the water. I think the main difference is that the turnover is faster in Ireland so you're getting a fresh barrel rather than one that's been on for a few days. There was a treaty with the Irish government that at least 30% of the Guinness sold in Britain was brewed in Dublin. In my day we brought a tanker ship over to serve the Northwest. When sales fell below a certain level, one brewery had to go and Dublin was protected. It helped they got about £40m for flogging the Park Royal site.

My personal favourite was the bottled Guinness, when it was still unpasteurised. Delicious when perfect, but prone to wild yeast infections during brewing and bottling that could make it undrinkable and put buyers off for life. They had a tasting department in the brewery that trained people to identify the different infections and diagnose when they were caused. In the end they decided to pasteurise it all and it was never as good afterwards. A night on the pint bottles was wonderful, even though it gave you shocking wind and explosive poos the next day. You can't get them these days for some reason. Draught Guinness in a can is filth, a travesty.
Guinness on 23:14 - May 13 with 4468 viewsqprxtc

Guinness on 22:55 - May 13 by MrSheen

My first job after University was in the Park Royal brewery. They used to swear that the only difference was the water. I think the main difference is that the turnover is faster in Ireland so you're getting a fresh barrel rather than one that's been on for a few days. There was a treaty with the Irish government that at least 30% of the Guinness sold in Britain was brewed in Dublin. In my day we brought a tanker ship over to serve the Northwest. When sales fell below a certain level, one brewery had to go and Dublin was protected. It helped they got about £40m for flogging the Park Royal site.

My personal favourite was the bottled Guinness, when it was still unpasteurised. Delicious when perfect, but prone to wild yeast infections during brewing and bottling that could make it undrinkable and put buyers off for life. They had a tasting department in the brewery that trained people to identify the different infections and diagnose when they were caused. In the end they decided to pasteurise it all and it was never as good afterwards. A night on the pint bottles was wonderful, even though it gave you shocking wind and explosive poos the next day. You can't get them these days for some reason. Draught Guinness in a can is filth, a travesty.

Wow. Nice history mr Sheen. I have to say when Draught Guinness in a fan turned
Up in the late eighties , I thought it was the work of genius. Back then
It was better than some pubs poured it.

A few years back I found Guinness in a plastic bottle, thought it was fantastic. Never had it again. A bIt like farleys rusks.
[Post edited 13 May 2017 23:16]
Login to get fewer ads

Guinness on 23:18 - May 13 with 4457 viewsLblock

I only started drinking it myself 2 and half years ago after recovering from my collapse after a massive internal bleed.
I got 'that look' from the Quack when I asked "what's the best thing for me to drink?".... after water and cranberry juice were met with"errrrmm's from me he eventually said Guinness as not as carbonated as lager etc

I still wasn't overkeen but eventually I developed a real taste for it and it's progressed from my first drink stomach liner to what I usually have now.

Best pint I've ever had of it here was in The Trout Inn next to Tadpole Bridge near Bampton in The Cotswolds. Nectar

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Guinness on 23:21 - May 13 with 4452 viewsMrSheen

Guinness on 23:14 - May 13 by qprxtc

Wow. Nice history mr Sheen. I have to say when Draught Guinness in a fan turned
Up in the late eighties , I thought it was the work of genius. Back then
It was better than some pubs poured it.

A few years back I found Guinness in a plastic bottle, thought it was fantastic. Never had it again. A bIt like farleys rusks.
[Post edited 13 May 2017 23:16]

I met the guy who invented the little widget thing for the inside of the can, they spent years developing it. The first version was in bottles in Ireland with a little syringe to agitate it, but it worked better in a can with a little plastic disc at the bottom . To be honest, I'm biased against it because it eclipsed the old bottle.
[Post edited 13 May 2017 23:24]
Guinness on 23:39 - May 13 with 4420 viewsqprxtc

Guinness on 23:21 - May 13 by MrSheen

I met the guy who invented the little widget thing for the inside of the can, they spent years developing it. The first version was in bottles in Ireland with a little syringe to agitate it, but it worked better in a can with a little plastic disc at the bottom . To be honest, I'm biased against it because it eclipsed the old bottle.
[Post edited 13 May 2017 23:24]

The original Guinneess? In those bottles you mean? Apparently that was the REAL Guinness? Never ever got on with that stuff. Thought it was horrible, it's like Guinness when you've levy it 3 hours.

Only known the draught Guinness as it is now. In Ireland its smoother than silk being poured down yer gob. Yum
Guinness on 06:18 - May 14 with 4256 viewscyprusmel

At the tender age of almost 16, a mate and I were standing outside the Plumes pub in Park Royal opposite the dog track egging each other on to go in, I said they wont serve us we are to young, he said they will, I said you go first your taller so after 5 minutes more banter we went in and to my amazement the barman said yes what would you like. What would I like, I'd never been in a pub before I know they sell beer but what do you ask for, then I saw an advert above the barman's head it was a workman in overalls carrying a girder on his shoulder and below it read 'Guinness gives you strength" I said I'll have one of those please, and there it was my first ever drink in a pub, I'd crossed over to the dark side and stayed. The power of advertising.
Guinness on 10:41 - May 14 with 4038 viewsBerkoRanger

My favourite tipple.
Guinness on 11:58 - May 14 with 3947 viewssmegma

I mistakenly drank a mouthful in a dark pub 2 years ago. I was correct by never touching it before. Tasted like a tramps sweaty sock infused with puss from a septic cyst. I physically felt sick.
Guinness on 13:11 - May 14 with 3879 viewsLadbrokeR

To be honest I drink most things. Mainly real ales, porter, vodka, rose' , lately I've been drinking gin. I went out on Friday with a group mates and I started on London pride and to a man they were drinking Guinness. I stupidly mentioned that I tended to associate Guinness with the winter to which I was promptly reminded that's why it's chilled. Anyway I had Guinness the next round. I then proceeded to have more red wine 🍷 than I can honestly recall. I tend to drink Guinness before matches if I'm in the pub. It's a bit of ritual. I'd love to be able to tell you about the quality and texture but I'm a Phillistine. My favourite Guinness is when it has a shot of tia Maria in it. The trouble is you don't stay sober long.
Guinness on 17:15 - May 14 with 3764 viewsBoston

Never been a fan of the tap pint. Enjoyed pint bottles that used to come out of Cherry's Brewery in Waterford 70/80's and, after moving over here, I chanced upon a 12oz variety of Extra Stout made in New Brunswick, Canada - favourite drink, until the doctor explained how my blood pressure was sky rocketing. Sadly the New Brunswick is no more, that distinct bitter taste has been replaced with a mild creamy sanitized version from Dublin. Though having cut my alcohol consumption by a considerable amount, when imbibing I'm more of a bottled ale bloke really, but, if you bump into me out on the town it would usually be a draught lager in my hand, session beer over taste when in London.
[Post edited 14 May 2017 17:16]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Guinness on 17:57 - May 14 with 3707 viewskomradkirk

I was a latecomer to the Guinness as i had always drank Harp,but i decided to have a bottle of stout at room temperature one day and found it reasonably tasty.Moved onto the proper tap stuff that you could rest a spud on and never looked back.The introduction of extra cold has improved its ability to travel.
Guinness is indeed good for you as the old advertising mantra said.
Guinness on 00:09 - May 15 with 3498 viewsMoonshineSteve

That whole "It is different in Ireland" line is cobblers.

Still a gift from above though. Here or there.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Guinness on 01:24 - May 15 with 3463 viewsBoston

Here's a portrait of Arthur himself, Judging by the lighting, the sun shines out of an orifice somewhere behind him.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Guinness on 05:43 - May 15 with 3422 viewscyprusmel

Just after my sixteenth birthday I was in Park Royal hospital for a appendicitis operation and when recovering on the ward they used to bring round Guinness and a beer called Tolly ale on a trolley all donated by Guinness for the patients.
Guinness on 06:52 - May 15 with 3394 viewsstowmarketrange

Guinness on 00:09 - May 15 by MoonshineSteve

It depends on how they pour it then.Over here it's normally done in 2 goes.Over there they give it time to settle between fills.You see pints stacked up waiting to be topped up in stages.
Guinness on 07:39 - May 15 with 3373 viewsthorpebankR

Guinness on 00:09 - May 15 by MoonshineSteve

You've got to have rings on the glass as it goes down this is a proper pint. I rarely see that over here but do in Ireland.
Guinness on 09:47 - May 15 with 3283 viewsMoonshineSteve

That can largely depend on what detergent is used in the dishwasher.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Guinness on 09:57 - May 15 with 3268 viewsqprphil

Never drink anything else now, I used to drink bitter, but had a pint of the black stuff about 25yrs ago, and never looked back. You get to know the places that sell quite a bit of it, and that's the place to go imo.
Guinness on 10:22 - May 15 with 3240 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024