Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bumping into people in town 08:58 - May 25 with 5213 viewsKonk

I’ve just popped out to get some breakfast and bumped into a woman I worked with 15 years ago — funnily enough, probably the only colleague I’ve really disliked in my entire working life. All a bit awkward as I was pretending I hadn’t clocked her, but she shouted my name out whilst stood about a foot a way from me and I had no option but to feign pleasant surprise. We had to have a long chat about what we’d been doing for the past 15 years. She’s still a tw at, by the way. Anyhow, this got me thinking: I’m in my mid-40’s, and despite spending the working day/evenings and most weekends in town, I reckon that in my whole life, I’ve only ever randomly bumped into 3 people I know in Central London - one was one of my brothers in Rough trade, Covent Garden, another was a former colleague that ended up with a brilliant all-dayer in Soho and the other was today. However, I’ve twice been on a flight and bumped into a former neighbour. What are the chances of that, eh. So, am I just wandering round town completely oblivious to what’s going on around me, are people hiding behind cars when they see me walking down the street or is Central London some weird place where you never spot people you know?

How often do you bump into people when you're out an about? (And yes, I know this a seriously fu cking dull thread, but I'm genuinely interested in other people's experiences)

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Bumping into people in town on 09:03 - May 25 with 3741 viewsHayesender

Went on a caravan tour of the west coast of Ireland a few years ago (stunning scenery) and bumped into an old school friend literally in the middle of nowhere.

Have bumped into a couple of lads from this site in flares in Newcastle a few times 😉

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Bumping into people in town on 09:05 - May 25 with 3739 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I was in the opticians the other day and bumped into a lot of people.
Bumping into people in town on 09:05 - May 25 with 3738 viewsBrightonhoop

I once heard of a married bloke who was havig an affair and took his other woman on holiday, only to bump into family of his wifes on the flight out of a regional airport.. Awkward I would imagine....
Bumping into people in town on 09:09 - May 25 with 3719 viewsrunningman75

I have had a few experiences of bumping into people I knew.
One guy was a bit of a wingman in my younger days, went to a theatre a couple of years ago (by myself) , he was with an attractive female. We sat and chatted in the bar as he saw me. He then went to the toilet and she started questionining me how I knew him. Had to give her the censored version.
I used to run a social group and met a lot of people some people I stayed in contact with. One day was in Trafalgar square with a friend waiting for someone else. An attractive women came up to me and said hi. I did not have a clue who she was and was quite disappointed.
I have also had the times of walking around town and hiding from old work colleagues.
Bumping into people in town on 09:09 - May 25 with 3717 views1MoreBrightonR

one of the things that irritated me living in brighton...constantly bumping in to people i know. love the anonymous nature of london.
Bumping into people in town on 09:14 - May 25 with 3699 viewsKonk

Bumping into people in town on 09:09 - May 25 by 1MoreBrightonR

one of the things that irritated me living in brighton...constantly bumping in to people i know. love the anonymous nature of london.

I have a very good mate from Brighton and you honestly can't walk for more than five minutes without him bumping into someone he went to school with, worked with, humped or knows from the Albion. It's nice on one level, but also does my head in when I'm visiting.

Bumping into people in town on 09:36 - May 25 with 3645 viewsPhildo

My dad was from a small village in County Derry and where ever we went he would have a knack off meeting someone from a few miles radius of his childhood home. I grew up in the highly populated Shepherds Bush and never randomly bump in to anyone!
Bumping into people in town on 09:48 - May 25 with 3613 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I'm either jinxed or blessed when it comes to these situations. Most random, walking down a street in Alice Springs, bumped into a mate of my cousin.

This year alone, bumped into an old high school mate living in Clapham; wandered into a pub in Wandsworth and a friend of a friend over Singapore sat on the table next to me (not seen for 8 years); sat on a train and on walks a bloke who used to sit behind me at QPR 15 years ago and yesterday, while sat in a coffee shop, a girl I knew 10 years ago in Cambodia walked up to me.

I say jinxed, because I'm f.....g hopeless with names! On two of these occasions, I floundered badly, before being 'helped'. It means that what can be a happy meeting leaves me always slightly fearful in case I offend someone by failing to recall their name.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Bumping into people in town on 09:52 - May 25 with 3592 viewskomradkirk

Bumping into people in town on 09:03 - May 25 by Hayesender

Went on a caravan tour of the west coast of Ireland a few years ago (stunning scenery) and bumped into an old school friend literally in the middle of nowhere.

Have bumped into a couple of lads from this site in flares in Newcastle a few times 😉

I have had that Flares experience at least once a season and i forsee it happening next season as well.
Maybe i can get tablets for this condition.
Bumping into people in town on 10:00 - May 25 with 3569 viewsterryb

I can only recall one encounter in London, but as that wasn't on the streeets it may not count.

Back in my teenage years I went for a job interrview & in the lift was a player os the Sunday side that i played for. Not sure which was the most surprised of us!

Outside London, we had a family holiday in North Wales when I was a lad. We went onto a beach where there was only one other family. Just another Chesham family & ex team mate of my father for Chesham United! In fact it ws even the man who took over as captin from my daddy.

And then in the '90's at a holiday camp in the Scarborough area I saw a coach entering the premises that I knew the owner of the company. The driver stepped out & it was the man I knew! Ex husband of a cousin of mine & the first Queens Park Rangers supporter to attend my secondary school in Chesham (his family moved from Shepherds Bush circe 1966). Obviously he was known as Rodney. Anyhow, after my children had gone to bed at night, I had the difficult job of having to keep him company at the bar!
Bumping into people in town on 10:03 - May 25 with 3562 viewsDorse

Weirdest 'bumping into' for me was the other morning when I was roused from my blissful slumber by the dulcet tones of a guy I last saw 20 years ago coming from the radio as he discussed standing for UKIP in the election. Fortunately, my traditional thunderous morning flatulence drowned out the rest of his Radio 4 interview.

Edit - I know it's not strictly 'bumping into' but I live in North Dorset where no bugger lives.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 10:03]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Bumping into people in town on 10:33 - May 25 with 3489 viewsKonk

My parents have bumped into people on Table Mountain and walking in the middle of nowhere in Canada, and my wife has bumped into a neighbour in a bar in Surfers Paradise, but I’ve got fu ck-all to offer in the small world stakes.

I am also shi t with names. I popped into my local pub in North London when I moved house and the barman, who I didn’t recognise at all, asked me if I was still going down to Fulham. I assumed he was Fulham so tried to steer the conversation to somewhere where I might get a clue as to who the fu ck he was, and it turns out he used to work in the Bush Ranger, which was where we drank when we shared your place. Lovely bloke, always have a chat when I see him, but I must have been absolutely off my nut for those 2 years, because I have no recollection whatsoever of him working at the Bush Ranger.

Bumping into people in town on 11:06 - May 25 with 3429 viewsToast_R

I met my an old teacher from high school at Airlie beach once at some random shack selling cold drinks by the beach. Thousands of miles away from home I thought "what are the chances?" But then you think, it's a popular tourist destination in Australia and I was touring most of them so the chances of bumping into someone I knew sooner or later, probably not incredibly unlikely.
Bumping into people in town on 11:29 - May 25 with 3387 viewsTheChef

Bumped into my wife's old flat mate while in Queenstown, New Zealand, which is definitely the longest distance randomly-bumping-into-someone-you-know event I know of.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Bumping into people in town on 11:56 - May 25 with 3347 viewsTonto

I bumped into Clive at Finsbury Park station once... he blanked me. For some reason he didn't recognise me from my avatar...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Bumping into people in town on 12:16 - May 25 with 3312 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The most obscure coincidence I had like this was about twenty years ago.
I was on holiday in Penang in Malaysia. There was a rain storm in the afternoon which is quite common and as they do not last long I stayed in the pool. I was with my sister at the time as her and her husband had come on holiday with us. Everyone but us two and a couple left the pool and we started chatting to them. It turned out they came form Perth in Australia. I casually said my uncle lived out there and they said which town. Well I could never remember it but my sister piped up with 'Allanson' and they looked shocked and said what is his name. When I told them it turned out they were good friends of his!

Now what is the chance of that!
Bumping into people in town on 12:19 - May 25 with 3299 viewspaulparker

two strange ones both concerning my ex wife

many moons ago we went to Barbados , brilliant holiday etc, on the days we would go around the pool we would see a couple always on the same beds , they never moved from them, got talking to him one day , said hello chewed the fat etc he said he was from Blackpool , anyway about 3 weeks after that me and my ex said sod it lets bunk off work it was a beautiful day and we went for a spot of lunch in convent garden, as we were lunching alfresco who walked in sat next to us only this couple from Blackpool

the second one was about 3 years before I met my ex, I was working for Nationwide at the time and was sent on a course in High Wycombe for the day , im there with bods all over the country and as you do at these things you get chatting to people when they bring the buffet out , I got talking to this one fella from Exeter branch and as the place had a pool table we had a few games to kill time, anyway that was that
fast forward 3 years later im with my ex and she was talking about one of her mates and how she left her husband to meet up with a bloke she met online , and how they both have to drive 3 hours just to meet in the middle to have a date and what have you and he has also left his wife and kids , anyway this mate of hers was having a birthday bash in borhamwood and who walks in the fella from Exeter we both gave each other that look that says I know you but im not going to say anything until he said did I play pool with you in High Wycombe about 3 years ago , I said yeah and we both thought this was one of those one in a million things , my ex couldn't have been more bored TBH

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Bumping into people in town on 13:56 - May 25 with 3117 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

While at Uni a pal of mine got beered up on a night out and ended going home with some lassie he'd met out.

So he wakes up the next morning guilty as fvck because he had a long term girlfriend at the time who was moving up to Newcastle from York so they could live together . She was supposed to be meeting him in the morning after a long drive so they could view a flat.

So he texts her making his excuses that he got drunk blah blah blah and ended up staying at mine hence why he wasn't home and didn't return any of her calls. He tells her he's too ill to make the 0830 appointment so told her to go ahead and view it on her own and he would meet her afterwards for the next viewing

While he's laying there contemplating what a horrible bastard he is the doorbell goes in this lassie's flat.

Guess who was on the other side of the door with an estate agent in tow.
Bumping into people in town on 14:16 - May 25 with 3082 viewsVancouverHoop

There have been a few but the most "WTF-ish" was about fifteen years ago.

I live about twenty miles south of Vancouver, in area called Boundary Bay. We residents regularly walk our dogs and go walking/running along the dike beside the beach. Most days this one guy would run past me. Tall, skinny forty-ish, always wore the same Oilers cap – not a good look hereabouts. We'd nod in recognition, but that's all as he moved pretty fast.

Later that same year I was 4,500 miles away in Letchworth Garden City, buying groceries at Morrisons. I walked out into the parking lot when bugger me if the same bloke ran past me, wearing the same cap too. I stopped in my tracks and did a double take, he looked over his shoulder and I could see he'd clocked me but didn't stop running. It was really startling, and over so fast I almost didn't believe it happened.
Bumping into people in town on 15:01 - May 25 with 3036 viewsqprxtc

I've bumped into many people in Central London.
Bumping into people in town on 15:05 - May 25 with 3025 viewsloftboy

Once bumped into a family who's son was in my sons class whilst on holiday in Florida.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Bumping into people in town on 17:19 - May 25 with 2939 viewsBoston

Do any of these stories not have an 'ex' in them?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bumping into people in town on 18:38 - May 25 with 2867 viewshubble

Got on the tube at East Finchley once, somewhere I hardly ever go, think I'd had a meeting about a job. Sat opposite me in the otherwise empty carriage was a woman who for some reason I connected with. I don't think it was because she was particularly attractive and I was trying to chat her up. Anyway we started to chat, why not, I'm a friendly guy... after about two minutes we had discovered that she knew my ex and had even babysat for my daughter several years before.

Walking around London I bump into people I know fairly frequently. I once met a mate (an actor) who was looking for his wife, apparently she was late and he couldn't reach her on her phone. I carried on towards where I was going and 3minutes later I bumped into his wife. I was able to tell her where he was...

In July 2010 I dreamt I met Prince Harry at a party.
5 days later I went to a festival in Norfolk (fairly hush-hush posh hippy thing - don't ask). On the Saturday night a friend of mine, who was sitting by the big fire in the main festival area beckoned me over. Come and meet someone she said. I sat down on a log next to a geezer in a baseball cap. He held out his hand and said hello I'm Harry. For it was indeed him. True story.

Had loads more crazy coincidences, but I don't want to bore you!
[Post edited 25 May 2017 20:01]
Bumping into people in town on 19:32 - May 25 with 2814 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bumping into people in town on 14:16 - May 25 by VancouverHoop

There have been a few but the most "WTF-ish" was about fifteen years ago.

I live about twenty miles south of Vancouver, in area called Boundary Bay. We residents regularly walk our dogs and go walking/running along the dike beside the beach. Most days this one guy would run past me. Tall, skinny forty-ish, always wore the same Oilers cap – not a good look hereabouts. We'd nod in recognition, but that's all as he moved pretty fast.

Later that same year I was 4,500 miles away in Letchworth Garden City, buying groceries at Morrisons. I walked out into the parking lot when bugger me if the same bloke ran past me, wearing the same cap too. I stopped in my tracks and did a double take, he looked over his shoulder and I could see he'd clocked me but didn't stop running. It was really startling, and over so fast I almost didn't believe it happened.

I think they prefer to be called Female Homosexuals now mate.

Nice story otherwise : )
Bumping into people in town on 19:45 - May 25 with 2796 viewsdanehoop

Was visiting New Delhi last year on a work trip and was grabbing a quick breakfast before leaving the hotel for the airport when noticed a bloke who looked just like someone I worked with 10 years before in London and Brussels (as Rs fan too by coincidence). He left the place I worked at took early retirement and we'd lost touch as you do. After doing a double take I thought not much of it and toddled off to check out. Then got a tap on my shoulder and it was indeed the same bloke, who was out doing a bit of short term assignment for a month at the same place that I had been visiting for the previous 3 days.

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024