Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC Annual Report 08:20 - Jul 19 with 7791 viewscolinallcars

To be published today and for the first time will contain salaries earned by their presenters etc.So we get to find out how much Gary gets for talking a lot of twaddle on Saturday evenings.
BBC Annual Report on 10:07 - Jul 19 with 6315 viewsdaveB

Whatever they earn it will be a lot less than they would get on commercial channels. I quite like Gary Lineker as a presenter, think he's very good on Match of the Day. I never really get the anger against the licence fee, a year of BBC Tv and all the radio channels for the cost of 2 months sky subscription is pretty fair
BBC Annual Report on 10:35 - Jul 19 with 6288 viewsN12Hoop

BBC Annual Report on 10:07 - Jul 19 by daveB

Whatever they earn it will be a lot less than they would get on commercial channels. I quite like Gary Lineker as a presenter, think he's very good on Match of the Day. I never really get the anger against the licence fee, a year of BBC Tv and all the radio channels for the cost of 2 months sky subscription is pretty fair

Sky's optional. BBC isn't. Why should I be compelled for something that I would happily never watch?

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

BBC Annual Report on 10:37 - Jul 19 with 6284 viewsrunningman75

BBC should be funded by advertising/ taxes. The licence fee is an outdated regressive form of taxation for owning a television.
BBC Annual Report on 10:45 - Jul 19 with 6272 views1MoreBrightonR

BBC Annual Report on 10:35 - Jul 19 by N12Hoop

Sky's optional. BBC isn't. Why should I be compelled for something that I would happily never watch?

so you never:
listen to any bbc radio
visit the website
watch any bbc tv?
BBC Annual Report on 11:12 - Jul 19 with 6230 viewsdaveB

BBC Annual Report on 10:35 - Jul 19 by N12Hoop

your taxes pay for services you'll probably never use as well. It's pretty good value for money
BBC Annual Report on 11:16 - Jul 19 with 6214 viewsrichranger

Chris Evans the top paid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40653383
BBC Annual Report on 11:21 - Jul 19 with 6200 viewsWatford_Ranger

BBC Annual Report on 11:16 - Jul 19 by richranger

Chris Evans the top paid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40653383

Interesting.

Evans and Lineker will get the headlines. No idea what their 'true worth' is but those wages don't sound too ridiculous given what other 'entertainers' and sportsmen can get.

£400k for some bloke on Casualty!
BBC Annual Report on 11:23 - Jul 19 with 6194 viewsN12Hoop

BBC Annual Report on 10:45 - Jul 19 by 1MoreBrightonR

so you never:
listen to any bbc radio
visit the website
watch any bbc tv?

Honestly No.
Use the BBC website, but if I couldn't access it I'd be fine with that.

Login to get fewer ads

BBC Annual Report on 11:25 - Jul 19 with 6184 viewsrunningman75

Casualty star Derek Thompson is the BBC's highest paid actor, receiving between £350,000 and £400,000 over the last financial year. Funny world when some nurses have to go to food banks and an actor playing a nurse earns more than 10 times most nurses salary.
BBC Annual Report on 11:26 - Jul 19 with 6184 viewsN12Hoop

BBC Annual Report on 11:12 - Jul 19 by daveB

your taxes pay for services you'll probably never use as well. It's pretty good value for money

I get that argument but I don't think the BBC is a public service nowadays that I should be forced to fund.It's not like the debate over whether i want to pay for health or overseas aid since the BBC is a direct tax on me personally. Of course it would be interesting if the DofE, MoD etc all had to bill us directly, but they don't. If the BBC is a true public service then it should be for via Government funding and not via my DD

BBC Annual Report on 11:28 - Jul 19 with 6175 viewsKonk

BBC Annual Report on 10:37 - Jul 19 by runningman75

BBC should be funded by advertising/ taxes. The licence fee is an outdated regressive form of taxation for owning a television.

It's wonderful to be able to watch a TV channel without adverts every ten minutes. The BBC is well worth a couple of quid a week. It has a fine global reputation for a reason. As a parent of a young child, I would maybe not die for cbeebies,I would definitely right strongly worded letters should its future ever be in doubt. The BBC is a genuine public service, and often a great one.

In our house we listen to 6 Music, watch BBC1,2 & 4, cbeebies and often follow the football either on Radio 5 or via the website. it's far from perfect and a lot of the programming leaves me cold, but I love the BBC and think it represents great value for money.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

BBC Annual Report on 11:29 - Jul 19 with 6172 viewshoof_hearted

To keep the news service outside full blown private or public ownership it is a price we should happily pay. Every day that goes by that becomes more important.

The highly paid stars usually feature in programmes that the BBC sells all over the world and makes healthy profits to subsidise the licence fee.
BBC Annual Report on 11:30 - Jul 19 with 6168 viewsLunarJetman

BBC Annual Report on 11:23 - Jul 19 by N12Hoop

Honestly No.
Use the BBC website, but if I couldn't access it I'd be fine with that.

Yeah but no but yeah...
BBC Annual Report on 11:38 - Jul 19 with 6143 viewsSuperhoop83

BBC Annual Report on 11:28 - Jul 19 by Konk

It's wonderful to be able to watch a TV channel without adverts every ten minutes. The BBC is well worth a couple of quid a week. It has a fine global reputation for a reason. As a parent of a young child, I would maybe not die for cbeebies,I would definitely right strongly worded letters should its future ever be in doubt. The BBC is a genuine public service, and often a great one.

In our house we listen to 6 Music, watch BBC1,2 & 4, cbeebies and often follow the football either on Radio 5 or via the website. it's far from perfect and a lot of the programming leaves me cold, but I love the BBC and think it represents great value for money.

I don't like agreeing with a Fulham fan, but I couldn't agree more on this.

Even leaving aside the quality of its TV and radio, it is great to have some refuge from the advertising and constant interruptions which dominate all other forms of media.

On a side note, I also love the way the BBC's perceived left wing bias winds up Daily Mail readers and the like. I'd happily pay the licence fee just for that.

Suffering since 1978.

BBC Annual Report on 11:51 - Jul 19 with 6100 viewsfrancisbowles

For less than £13 a month, all those things outlined by Konk not to mention the excellent BBC London and similar radio and TV stations for regional coverage. Then we have bbciplayer which after several years has developed into a superb and very reliable entertainment source.

Best value entertainment, news and educational tool by a long way.
BBC Annual Report on 12:06 - Jul 19 with 6073 viewsAntti_Heinola

BBC Annual Report on 11:28 - Jul 19 by Konk

Totally agree.
Cannot get my head round anyone who complains about it as a tax. Yes, it's a form of a tax. But look what you get for £3 a week. It is absolutely phenomenal value, the best deal of any product on earth. Of course some programming isn't to people's tastes - how could it not be? I always think if you can't find £3 worth of entertainment (which is more like 80p of entertainment in a house of four, remember) per week in what the BBC offers, then, er, you're not looking very hard. I'd pay the fee just for the podcasts and the radio, let alone online and TV. It also helps other channels - it is freer to experiment, to appeal to smaller audiences and so forth, and make stars, all of which can then be exploited by other channels. I can't bear reality TV, but commercial channels are teeming with it. Why? Driving School. BBC.
It would be an absolute travesty if we lost it, for all its many, many faults. But show me an organisation of that size that doesn't have faults or wastage.

Bare bones.

BBC Annual Report on 12:06 - Jul 19 with 6072 viewscolinallcars

I agree that it's good value but it's annoying to read of the enormous sums paid to people with no discernable talent. Well, none that I can discern. Actors are paid far less than people who just sit there speaking a load of garbage much or the time.
BBC Annual Report on 12:23 - Jul 19 with 6013 viewsDejR_vu

Alan Shearer £400k. If that's not a waste of money I don't know what is.

Edit: Not having a pop at the Beeb BTW; agree with Konk and Antti.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 12:46]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

BBC Annual Report on 12:37 - Jul 19 with 5961 viewsjonno

BBC Annual Report on 12:23 - Jul 19 by DejR_vu

Alan Shearer £400k. If that's not a waste of money I don't know what is.

Edit: Not having a pop at the Beeb BTW; agree with Konk and Antti.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 12:46]

They are all an obscene waste of money. Who cares who presents Match Of The Day? You could find a nonentity to present it for 50k a year and it would not affect the quality of the programme. The same applies to most of the others.
BBC Annual Report on 10:16 - Jul 20 with 5725 viewsPlanetHonneywood

BBC Annual Report on 12:37 - Jul 19 by jonno

They are all an obscene waste of money. Who cares who presents Match Of The Day? You could find a nonentity to present it for 50k a year and it would not affect the quality of the programme. The same applies to most of the others.

While I largely agree with the positive comments about the BBC, looking at MoTD specifically, Jonno is bang on the money.

Why the hell they need to spend millions on Lineker to front it and oversee inane rubbish from dullards like Shearer, Savage etc. is beyond me. Just show the goals/highlights and if we need any words, let it come from those playing and managing, not ex-pros on a junket.

As for the BBC World Service - it has gone to the dogs! The breadth of their stories is low, they spend a ridiculous amount of time with lost air due to countless promos for forthcoming shows, reporters telling us just how good they and the BBC are and, woeful continuity. Compared to Al Jezeera and even France 24, the BBC is lagging behind.

I know the NUJ has the BBC's nuts in a vice like grip, but sometimes I do wonder how many journos they actually need working a story.

If many state institutions are subject to austerity measures and public sector workers are struggling, then so should the BBC be equally answerable. And, as has been pointed out, when a bloke playing a nurse gets considerably more than one actually performing as a nurse (who may also be using a food bank), then we've got some wider issues to attend as well.

Let's not forget the Beeb's role in covering up child and sexual abuse scandals either.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

BBC Annual Report on 10:25 - Jul 20 with 5715 viewsPhildo

BBC Annual Report on 10:16 - Jul 20 by PlanetHonneywood

While I largely agree with the positive comments about the BBC, looking at MoTD specifically, Jonno is bang on the money.

Why the hell they need to spend millions on Lineker to front it and oversee inane rubbish from dullards like Shearer, Savage etc. is beyond me. Just show the goals/highlights and if we need any words, let it come from those playing and managing, not ex-pros on a junket.

As for the BBC World Service - it has gone to the dogs! The breadth of their stories is low, they spend a ridiculous amount of time with lost air due to countless promos for forthcoming shows, reporters telling us just how good they and the BBC are and, woeful continuity. Compared to Al Jezeera and even France 24, the BBC is lagging behind.

I know the NUJ has the BBC's nuts in a vice like grip, but sometimes I do wonder how many journos they actually need working a story.

If many state institutions are subject to austerity measures and public sector workers are struggling, then so should the BBC be equally answerable. And, as has been pointed out, when a bloke playing a nurse gets considerably more than one actually performing as a nurse (who may also be using a food bank), then we've got some wider issues to attend as well.

Let's not forget the Beeb's role in covering up child and sexual abuse scandals either.

I too am a big fan of the BBC but could not agree more and as you say the world service has gone downhill since its funding moved from the foreign office to the licence fee. It is soft power for the country around the world.

There are some shockers though- Evans 2.5m for that annoying tw@t. John Humphreys 600k. Look at what journalists in the print media are suffering. No way that can be justified in this era.
BBC Annual Report on 11:02 - Jul 20 with 5663 viewsLythamR

BBC Annual Report on 10:16 - Jul 20 by PlanetHonneywood

The argument made earlier about having to pay more for "talent" on a commercial channel is not acceptable in the case of programmes like match of the day.

its crazy to pay someone like lineker 1.8m. most people watch match of the day for the football, in fact i would hazard a bet that many do what i do and start watching at least half an hour after the start just so they can fast forward through the lineker intro and most of the "analysis" between games, I can't be bothered with the pointing out by shearer, wright et all of the obvious points we have already seen

do people switch off if lineker is off and there is an alternate presenter? No, I would rather they put the exess money paid to these presenters and pundits into the highlights package so the BBCV could afford to show another couple of minutes of actual football

It seems more people are concerned about the 400k for Charlie in Casualty but to me thats a much more reasonable cost, He is a talented actor who has been the lead in that programme for 20 years and is fundamental to the programmes popularity and a big reason why its so popular. its sold worldwide and probably makes money for the BBC,
BBC Annual Report on 11:07 - Jul 20 with 5662 viewskarl

I know MoTD probably makes money for the BBC in sales to other countries etc but no one can justify to me that Linekar and Shearer should jointly be paid more than double what the BBC pay in rights for the Scottish game, f*ck me Shearer gets nearly half what our game gets!
It should have nothing to do with 'quality,' perceived or otherwise, there are examples of this throughout the nations arts/culture budgets etc. Shove your Barnett formula arguments up your jacksie!
BBC Annual Report on 11:16 - Jul 20 with 5638 viewsrsonist

Scum propaganda shill indie c0cksucker Pat Nevin with a full column to himself today openly repeating things he already wrote on the official club website.

Reithian values.
BBC Annual Report on 12:09 - Jul 20 with 5588 viewsfrancisbowles

BBC Annual Report on 11:07 - Jul 20 by karl

I know MoTD probably makes money for the BBC in sales to other countries etc but no one can justify to me that Linekar and Shearer should jointly be paid more than double what the BBC pay in rights for the Scottish game, f*ck me Shearer gets nearly half what our game gets!
It should have nothing to do with 'quality,' perceived or otherwise, there are examples of this throughout the nations arts/culture budgets etc. Shove your Barnett formula arguments up your jacksie!

I'm not sure if they do get to sell MOTD abroad. I used to travel extensively in my job and I have never seen it overseas. The rights to football are usually very restrictive, can't even get radio commentaries of football outside your region on the internet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024