Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mel Johnson Back 09:49 - Jul 22 with 5881 viewsOldPedro

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Mel Johnson Back on 10:11 - Jul 22 with 4235 viewsenfieldargh

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/scout-mel-johnson-returns-to-qpr/

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Mel Johnson Back on 10:24 - Jul 22 with 4177 viewsRangersw12

Very good news he did a great job the first time

Some good things happening behind the scenes
Mel Johnson Back on 10:28 - Jul 22 with 4148 viewsToast_R

Like?
Mel Johnson Back on 10:30 - Jul 22 with 4145 viewsRangersw12

Mel Johnson Back on 10:28 - Jul 22 by Toast_R

Like?

Scouting network
Pathway to the first team for the youth
Wage bill being reduced
Trying to spend within our means
Mel Johnson Back on 10:56 - Jul 22 with 4063 viewsDejR_vu

Now that's good news.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Mel Johnson Back on 11:18 - Jul 22 with 3990 viewsArgyBargy1982

Mel Johnson Back on 10:30 - Jul 22 by Rangersw12

Scouting network
Pathway to the first team for the youth
Wage bill being reduced
Trying to spend within our means

W12. Is there a link between some youth getting through and the dreadful quality of the first team squad? I.e. they're getting games because the alternatives are so bad not because they are any good. And are you concerned that such a big chunk of our turnover is going on interest on shareholder loans being paid at much higher than normal interest rates?
Mel Johnson Back on 11:20 - Jul 22 with 3976 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Mel Johnson Back on 11:18 - Jul 22 by ArgyBargy1982

W12. Is there a link between some youth getting through and the dreadful quality of the first team squad? I.e. they're getting games because the alternatives are so bad not because they are any good. And are you concerned that such a big chunk of our turnover is going on interest on shareholder loans being paid at much higher than normal interest rates?

Maybe in your opinion.
Mel Johnson Back on 11:26 - Jul 22 with 3961 viewsE17hoop

This is excellent news.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Login to get fewer ads

Mel Johnson Back on 11:30 - Jul 22 with 3940 viewsRangersw12

None of the youth have looked out of their depth IMO and rather have a Furlong at RB than a Aaron Hughes on loan.

I also don't think the 1st team squad is that bad it's just people writing off players because they have a dip in form or haven't settled yet

The loans to the shareholders is something to be concerned about but it could be worse

Has your Luton season ticket come through yet ?
Mel Johnson Back on 11:31 - Jul 22 with 3933 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good stuff. We missed him when he left, Welcome back, Mel.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Mel Johnson Back on 11:42 - Jul 22 with 3899 viewsArgyBargy1982

Mel Johnson Back on 11:30 - Jul 22 by Rangersw12

None of the youth have looked out of their depth IMO and rather have a Furlong at RB than a Aaron Hughes on loan.

I also don't think the 1st team squad is that bad it's just people writing off players because they have a dip in form or haven't settled yet

The loans to the shareholders is something to be concerned about but it could be worse

Has your Luton season ticket come through yet ?

You are definitely a glass half full man W12, whereas I'm a more realistic "what's a glass?" type fan.
Nothing wrong with having sympathies with another team due to personal and geographical history, although most would think that having such sympathies for Fulham or Chelsea was beyond the pale.
Mel Johnson Back on 11:50 - Jul 22 with 3871 viewsQPR_Jim

Mel joining is great news, I remember there was a noticeable difference after he left last time in terms of the quality of signings.

Out of curiosity, what's the interest rates on shareholder loans, how high are we talking. I assume it's a fairly risky investment so it's not going to be a low interest rate.
Mel Johnson Back on 12:15 - Jul 22 with 3792 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Did a bit of googling to jog the memory...

MEL MOVES ON
Rangers Chief Scout, Mel Johnson, is to leave the Club.

After four seasons at QPR, Mel is to become Head Scout in the UK for Tottenham Hotspur.

During his time in west London, Mel has been instrumental in the signings of numerous Rangers players, such as Steve Palmer, Martin Rowlands, Marc Bircham, Dan Shittu, Lee Cook and Gareth Ainsworth.

Now Mel will be in charge of talent spotting for the north London side and although he is looking forward to his new role, he leaves Loftus Road with a heavy heart.

He said: "I'm going to miss working at QPR terribly. I've had four great seasons here. When I first joined in 2001 we had eight players turn up for pre-season training and we built today's squad from that.

"I'm very proud of all the players that I've helped bring in during my time here and I've had some great times. The pinnacle was winning promotion at Hillsborough and it made all of those motorway journeys worthwhile.

"I can't tell you how much I'm going to miss working here, but the Premiership came calling and it was time to move on.

"Everyone here has been fantastic and I've had loads of messages wishing me good luck. Everyone here has made my job so enjoyable."

Rangers manager Ian Holloway admits that he is sorry to see Mel leave but wishes him nothing but good fortune for his career at Tottenham.

"He was one of our best ever signings," Ollie said. "A hard worker, a great personality and he will be sorely missed.

"If there are good players out there, he knows them and we will have to work our socks off to replicate what he has brought to the club.

"But he goes with our blessing and I can't thank him enough for all his efforts."

http://www.footballforums.net/threads/qpr-scout-mel-johnson-leaves-for-spurs.682

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Mel Johnson Back on 12:15 - Jul 22 with 3787 viewsBklynRanger

I'd have been happy with this on nostalgic merits alone, but he's been doing a lot since he left us. I look forward to booing and hissing whoever he unearths.
Mel Johnson Back on 12:16 - Jul 22 with 3780 viewsderbyhoop

It is good news.
My only concern would be if his contact list was out of date, but it certainly doesn't sound like it.

Let's hope he is as successful this time as he was before.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Mel Johnson Back on 12:30 - Jul 22 with 3728 viewsbosh67

Where as this is good news he has put on a bit of timber over the years and I think he could get skinned down the flanks if he doesn't get his starting position right.... Oh, right, he's a scout. I thought he was a returning player.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2017 12:54]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Mel Johnson Back on 12:32 - Jul 22 with 3721 viewsNorthernr

Only at QPR would a Championship club announce they've signed a new scout, let alone get excited about it, but excited I am, this is great news. Responsible for some absolutely belting signings last time - Cook, Shittu, Rowlands, Camp etc.
Mel Johnson Back on 12:50 - Jul 22 with 3660 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Luckily for us, we didn't have a pot to piss in when he was last here, so he should be right at home twelve years on!

Got to be good news; he has had a good record has MJ and I'm sure he knows where we can get some defensive ballast to strengthen the back line.

Forward to the great push-on.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Mel Johnson Back on 13:58 - Jul 22 with 3509 viewsBerkoRanger

A small patch - southern UK AND Europe!! Wowsers - he's gonna be busy.

Joking apart - this is VERY good news. He was great here before and has built up many many contacts in the game.
Mel Johnson Back on 14:26 - Jul 22 with 3455 viewsflitwickhoop

Tremendous news. Signing of the summer
Mel Johnson Back on 14:30 - Jul 22 with 3439 viewsdavman

Not defending them too much, as they are the reason we have accrued so much debt, but...

When you claim that there are cheaper alternatives out there for the loans, what are you basing that on? If it is the rates you could get for a ÂŁ7k loan for your kitchen, think again. These are no ordinary loans. They are for significant chunks of cash on a business that has proven to lose money hand over fist for years and years. Why would ANYONE lend them money with that knowledge?

Like it or not (and I hate it...), businesses, like governments, operate on a managing debt basis rather than being debt free in the first instance.Getting loans will come at a premium when you operate that way...

As long as the owners hang around (important proviso that), its better owing them money than someone external...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Mel Johnson Back on 15:11 - Jul 22 with 3357 viewsArgyBargy1982

Mel Johnson Back on 14:30 - Jul 22 by davman

Not defending them too much, as they are the reason we have accrued so much debt, but...

When you claim that there are cheaper alternatives out there for the loans, what are you basing that on? If it is the rates you could get for a ÂŁ7k loan for your kitchen, think again. These are no ordinary loans. They are for significant chunks of cash on a business that has proven to lose money hand over fist for years and years. Why would ANYONE lend them money with that knowledge?

Like it or not (and I hate it...), businesses, like governments, operate on a managing debt basis rather than being debt free in the first instance.Getting loans will come at a premium when you operate that way...

As long as the owners hang around (important proviso that), its better owing them money than someone external...

Details of the new loans are in the accounts for all to see and they carry a very large MONTHLY interest rate. All of the previous loans from BE, FB, TF and the Mitals were interest free. Just saying this represents a very significant change in the way the club is funded and the repayments have a big impact on how much can be spent on the team. I'm surprised there hasn't been much comment on this previously.
Mel Johnson Back on 16:03 - Jul 22 with 3266 viewsNorthernr

Mel Johnson Back on 15:11 - Jul 22 by ArgyBargy1982

Details of the new loans are in the accounts for all to see and they carry a very large MONTHLY interest rate. All of the previous loans from BE, FB, TF and the Mitals were interest free. Just saying this represents a very significant change in the way the club is funded and the repayments have a big impact on how much can be spent on the team. I'm surprised there hasn't been much comment on this previously.

Steve Sayce raised this at the fans forum and Hoos basically told him if he wanted to loan the club money interest free then go ahead, which I thought was really unnecessary and unhelpful. And I like Hoos.
Mel Johnson Back on 16:46 - Jul 22 with 3170 viewsphilc

I thought that we are not actually paying cash for the interest accrued on the debt. The interest owed is being rolled into the debt and will be converted into shares at a later date
Mel Johnson Back on 17:01 - Jul 22 with 3123 viewsLblock

Tottenham Mel?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024