Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saw Dunkirk yesterday 19:34 - Jul 23 with 10592 viewsBlackCrowe

jesus.

Just can't imagine what it must've been like to have been there nor how effected you'd be for the rest of your life.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 19:58 - Jul 23 with 5586 viewstraininvain

One of the most powerful films I've ever seen. All managed without blood, guts, too much cgi etc.

Fair play to Christopher Nolan for making an evocative war film in the most tasteful way possible.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:13 - Jul 23 with 5560 viewsbosh67

My folks saw it this afternoon and said much the same.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:35 - Jul 23 with 5517 viewseghamranger

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:13 - Jul 23 by bosh67

My folks saw it this afternoon and said much the same.

Is it like Saving private Ryan? Thought that was a great film
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:38 - Jul 23 with 5503 viewsBlackCrowe

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:35 - Jul 23 by eghamranger

A bit but less schmaltzy Hollywood. Certainly got the the feel of horrendous battle and foreboding drama that SPR had (which i loved also).

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 21:14 - Jul 23 with 5404 viewsCiderwithRsie

From Spike Milligan ("Adolf Hitler: My part in his downfall"):-

"Three weeks afterwards, a Bombardier Kean, who had survived the evacuation, was posted to us. "What was it like," I asked him. "Like son? It was a f*ck up, a highly successful f*ck up."

But they were a tough generation. Was talking to someone last week whose grandfather came out from Dunkirk and went back via Normandy in 1944. Can't have been too many who did the double, as it were.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 21:25 - Jul 23 with 5382 viewstraininvain

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:35 - Jul 23 by eghamranger

I think Dunkirk's a better film overall. SPR has an amazing opening 20 minutes but it's heavily reliant on the shock factor of the bloodiness of it all.

Dunkirk's intense from beginning to end without big effects, blood, Hollywood storylines etc. It's so well directed, it almost feels like you're there at times.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't win Oscars.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 22:58 - Jul 23 with 5211 viewsBoston

Green Man, Wembley 1970's. Couple of the gents who frequented the place endured the hell of Dunkirk. One of the old boys, contrary to the usual image of that generations soldiers, never stopped talking about it. After all that he then went through North Africa with Monty...there is nothing I don't know about frying an egg on a shovel or an armoured personnel vehicle.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:36 - Jul 24 with 5128 viewsPunteR

Christopher Nolan can do no wrong in my eyes. look forward to seeing it.
Saving Private Ryan is one of the best war films ever, as is the Band of Brothers series that followed.
As i've never actually seen combat i cant comment on how glorified the battle scenes were but i always felt it was pretty realistic in an un glorified way.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:56 - Jul 24 with 5104 viewsBoston

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:36 - Jul 24 by PunteR

Christopher Nolan can do no wrong in my eyes. look forward to seeing it.
Saving Private Ryan is one of the best war films ever, as is the Band of Brothers series that followed.
As i've never actually seen combat i cant comment on how glorified the battle scenes were but i always felt it was pretty realistic in an un glorified way.

Too young for the offs with Arsenal?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:57 - Jul 24 with 5107 viewsFDC

Big Nolan and Hans Zimmer fan, looking forward to seeing this. Getting rave reviews
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 01:12 - Jul 24 with 5097 viewsPunteR

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:56 - Jul 24 by Boston

Too young for the offs with Arsenal?

Thats far too high brow for me..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 03:30 - Jul 24 with 5060 viewsozexile

Incredible film. Do not miss it.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 08:11 - Jul 24 with 4907 viewspaulparker

about time we had a decent war film or a series made about the British , all the recent ones have been American influenced like fury , SPR ,band of brothers and the pacific
you think of all the great battles , operations and even mess ups our military has performed since WW1 and you could make about 50 films
well done Christopher Nolan hopefully we will see a few more films about us now
oh and the best war film by a mile is a bridge to far

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 09:21 - Jul 24 with 4811 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm looking forward to seeing this, the last war film I went to see at the pictures was Downfall.

I used to know a regular in the Royal Oak Bayswater who had his boat requisitioned in 1940 and the Navy never gave it back.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 10:29 - Jul 24 with 4705 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

If you like a good (anti) war film check out Come And See

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 13:01 - Jul 24 with 4551 viewsHooped_Pullie

Had the chance to see Dunkirk today - in a cinema with a small screen.

Decided to give it a miss and hopefully hit the IMAX tomorrow, worth waiting for by all accounts.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:16 - Jul 24 with 4441 viewsrobith

It is absolutely astonishing, one of the greatest cinematic achievements of our generation. The triptych of land sea and air told non linear lifts it up to another level beyond a typical war film - which it isn't, it's basically a horror film set in a war, channelling silent film via ground-breaking craft and experimental format.

I basically haven't stopped thinking about it so I need some time for it to percolate my mind, but it might actually be the greatest film I've ever seen
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:34 - Jul 24 with 4413 viewsToast_R

Zulu and Zulu Dawn. Two great British War movies. The first about guts and triumph and second (or prequel as was known) an unmitigated military disaster, even Bob Hoskins got whacked.

Going to see Dunkirk on Wednesday. Really looking forward to the spectacle. £13.50 now for an Odeon ticket? Well I never.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:49 - Jul 24 with 4394 viewstraininvain

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 13:01 - Jul 24 by Hooped_Pullie

Had the chance to see Dunkirk today - in a cinema with a small screen.

Decided to give it a miss and hopefully hit the IMAX tomorrow, worth waiting for by all accounts.

Wise move. IMAX is definitely the way forward with this film.

Felt more like an immersive experience than a film. Credit to Nolan and Zimmer.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 18:27 - Jul 24 with 4273 viewssimmo

It was filmed in 70mm (IMAX size basically) so to get the experience as intended you'll have to catch it on IMAX. I booked tickets to watch it in the Science museum but have to wait nearly 2 weeks before going as my mrs is away this week... Trying my best to avoid too much of the hype until then!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 18:58 - Jul 24 with 4228 viewsJAPRANGERS

You chaps are lucky. The film doesn't start to play here until 9th September

Why the massive long gap compared to other countries I wonder?? Do they think it will take weeks to drum up interest here??
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 19:42 - Jul 24 with 4175 viewsdanehoop

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 18:58 - Jul 24 by JAPRANGERS

You chaps are lucky. The film doesn't start to play here until 9th September

Why the massive long gap compared to other countries I wonder?? Do they think it will take weeks to drum up interest here??

Translation might be proving tricky perhaps?

Never knowingly understood

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:08 - Jul 24 with 4163 viewsJAPRANGERS

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 19:42 - Jul 24 by danehoop

Translation might be proving tricky perhaps?

Yes of course, I didn't think of that. Takes time for translation and for making subtitles. Thank you!
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:31 - Jul 24 with 4130 viewsMonahoop

I saw this film yesterday, the first film I've seen in a cinema for some time. Truly gripping and well made film about a tragic and hopeless chapter in British and French military history. Edge of seat stuff from start to finish and not gung ho or flash like many Yank war films I've seen. Great acting from the cast. Probably the best war film I've seen, at least the best British war film. What made it more remarkable was the Germans remained largely unseen apart from the Luftwaffe bits. God those pesky Stukas, what a menace! I left the cinema drained and exhausted. Christ knows what it must have been like for real!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 05:18 - Jul 25 with 3934 viewsPlanetHonneywood

One memory from my youth, permanently etched forever, was being around vets from WWs 1 and 2 at the Roehampton Limb Centre. I was only a kid and so my mum would come with me and the amount of times she was reduced to tears listening to a veteran recall not so much the horrors of war, but the appalling way they were treated when they came home.

We know it today as PTSD, but back then, many were told to just 'pull yourself together man!' It's why I've been drawn to sites out of respect for soldiers who were, in the main, boys!

Many years later on my first travels, I was at the Khanchanburi site in Thailand. I met this Aussie ex-prisoner on the Death Railway, visiting the site 45 years after being freed. He was a big old ocker, even as a man in his 60s he looked like he could handle himself. As we signed the visitors' book, he just broke down crying. If you've been there, you'll know the Thais pull no punches with some of the pictures and accounts in the museum.

My mate and I went and spoke to his wife, as she let him walk around a bit. 'Your husband is a brave man to come back' we said, and I added that I knew a bit from testimony from guys who'd lost limbs building that accursed railway.

'He had to come back for his mates who died here. It's taken a longtime for him to do it...he's lived it every day since' she told us.

We asked her to thank him for us. We didn't want to upset him nor disturb him paying his personal respect to his chums. He left still in tears. Frankly, it would move a stone!

When I saw SPR I must admit I cried as it just brought back memories of all those brave men and women who really experienced hell on Earth. And that's just listening to them, I just can't imagine what it must have been like to actually live through it!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024