Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? 20:37 - Jul 23 with 4026 viewsOakR

Hello

My son will be going to Stan's game as his first match. Clearly it should be pretty relaxed compared to a normal league game, but I'm not sure he will last the whole match concentration wise.

Any tips?

Thanks

Poll: Will we stay up?

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 20:47 - Jul 23 with 4010 viewsbob566

Bring your phone fully charged.
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 21:30 - Jul 23 with 3957 viewsDevon_4_England

My 7 year old has been going for a few seasons on and off and he enjoys having a friend with him to chat away through the game and they enjoy a trip to the bar at half time for a bag of crisps and a coke to share 80's style.

I would suggest to make a day of it for your son's first game - go for a meal at lunchtime and get a comic and sweets etc for during the game and like someone said keep the phone charged.

Trip to the club shop is a must and if you are near the players entrance around 1.00/1.30 have a pen and a programme on you for autograph opportunities and a quick photo with a player.

A seat near pitch is often better than being high up for younger fans and watch out during the warm up if in the lower loft.

Enjoy your day. I bore my kids with stories of my early days standing in the Loft hence they like to have a mate with them!
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 22:42 - Jul 23 with 3885 viewsSimonJames

Warn him in advance that some of the adults will probably say some rude words.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 22:47 - Jul 23 with 3881 viewsBoston

Good man Oak. Young Master Boston is now 27 and I dragged that poor bugger three thousand miles to enjoy himself....or else.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 23:11 - Jul 23 with 3854 viewsHantsR

I'm taking grandson to his first game on Saturday as well. We're in lower Loft, hopefully a good idea, taking a mate would have been a good idea wish I'd considered it. I guess be prepared for junk food and drinks plus lending my smart phone!
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 23:19 - Jul 23 with 3851 viewsOakR

Thanks all.

Will definitely get him a magazine of some sort to read and some treats to eat - thanks for that.

Plan on taking him to club shop beforehand, and going to see if he fits into my Guiness shirt I had when I was 8 I kept.

We are in the loft lower so hopefully good view wise. No friend with him this time though his Uncle is coming who definitely doubles up as one. Might take his cousin next time though - a friend might be more difficult as we live in SE London and they are more likely to want to go to Millwall or Palace....but not impossible.

Re the language I expect we'll be generally fine for this game, but he will be under strict instructions not to repeat anything should it arise in front of his mum when he gets back if he ever wants to go again!

His grandparents live 10 minutes from the ground which is handy so probably lunch there and he will stay over after which will be part of the day as well.

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 00:26 - Jul 24 with 3811 viewsPunteR

Bring fully charged electronic devise. Sweets. Club shop.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 09:04 - Jul 24 with 3674 viewsOldPedro

One of the good things about the lower loft is when the goalkeepers come out to do their warm-up, if you go and stand at the front near the goal they are using, Alex Smithies always comes over to say hello to the kids and give an autograph or pose for a selfie. Meeting a player or two always makes my sons day when we go to matches

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 09:13 - Jul 24 with 3660 viewsmikeygunn

Took my 3 year old to Wigan away last season and she loved every minute of it. Took her leap pad (ipad for little people) but she never asked for it, loved watching people sing and because we haven't told her rude words exist then all the effing and jeffing went over her head. She's been asking to go to another game ever since. Enjoy, it will be a day you will never forget!
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 11:07 - Jul 24 with 3569 viewsrrrspricey

Don't do it to him!

My dear departed dad first took me to LR aged 5 and I've been suffering for 47 bleeding years
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 11:11 - Jul 24 with 3563 viewsJacksDad

My first game was a League cup tie v Southend when I was six and stan scored 2 but had 2 disallowed - my dad, god rest, couldn't get it through to me that he hadn't scored 4!
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 11:35 - Jul 24 with 3537 viewsblacky200

Don't bring him to Rangers. You'll be subjecting him to a lifetime of misery with few highlights.
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 12:12 - Jul 24 with 3491 viewsDorse

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 22:42 - Jul 23 by SimonJames

Warn him in advance that some of the adults will probably say some rude words.

Make sure you explain them beforehand so he doesn't ask 'Dad, what's a fcuktard?' halfway through. Also, invoke the 'Don't Tell Your Mother' rule.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 12:15 - Jul 24 with 3488 viewsOakR

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 11:07 - Jul 24 by rrrspricey

Don't do it to him!

My dear departed dad first took me to LR aged 5 and I've been suffering for 47 bleeding years

I suspect you are joking but I did genuinely wonder whether to not take him and save him from this cult of misery. But we're a family and we can all be miserable together, it will bond us!

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 09:29 - Jul 25 with 3326 viewsenfieldargh

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 12:15 - Jul 24 by OakR

I suspect you are joking but I did genuinely wonder whether to not take him and save him from this cult of misery. But we're a family and we can all be miserable together, it will bond us!

Everyone needs something in their lives to keep their feet on the ground.

His feet will more often than not be on the ground watching the R's

both my boys were taken around 7 year olds and are Rangers thru and thru.

One of the best things about QPR is watching them with my lads.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 10:52 - Jul 25 with 3296 viewsstowmarketrange

I took all 3 of my kids at various times over the past 18 years.The eldest is now an Ipswich fan because of her boyfriend,the middle one is Orient or Arsenal.The only one who has stayed true to the faith is my youngest daughter who has travelled the country with me watching us mostly lose.
She did enjoy Birmingham last season and WBA a couple of years ago,and of course Zamora day.
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 14:06 - Jul 25 with 3236 viewsstonebridgers

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 10:52 - Jul 25 by stowmarketrange

I took all 3 of my kids at various times over the past 18 years.The eldest is now an Ipswich fan because of her boyfriend,the middle one is Orient or Arsenal.The only one who has stayed true to the faith is my youngest daughter who has travelled the country with me watching us mostly lose.
She did enjoy Birmingham last season and WBA a couple of years ago,and of course Zamora day.

So need to ask which one of your children is your favourite

Stonebridgers

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 14:10 - Jul 25 with 3228 viewsNorthernr

Tottenham are pretty good these days.
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 14:26 - Jul 25 with 3208 viewsSimonJames

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 14:10 - Jul 25 by Northernr

Tottenham are pretty good these days.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 23:10 - Jul 25 with 3105 viewsTripleR

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 11:35 - Jul 24 by blacky200

Don't bring him to Rangers. You'll be subjecting him to a lifetime of misery with few highlights.

Ah! but what highlights.
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 23:20 - Jul 25 with 3092 viewsTrom

Got a season ticket for my six year old boy last season.

It was tough going for the JFH matches. Hard to justify when I too was bored out of my mind. Things picked up under Holloway and he started to enjoy the games even if the results were not great.

I do let him have my Iphone to play on if it's a particularly boring match - i.e. every game the first half of the season, but when the entertainment levels picked up he stopped asking for it.

I make it a little bit of a ritual - we get hot chocolates on the way, his granddad always has a bar of chocolate for him at the game.

Remarkably at the end of the season, he asked to renew.
Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 00:57 - Jul 26 with 3062 viewskensalriser

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 10:52 - Jul 25 by stowmarketrange

On the upside, makes figuring out your will easier.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Any tips for a 6 year old's first game? on 22:41 - Jul 29 with 2910 viewsOakR

Thanks everyone for your tips.

Thankfully we were towards to back of the lower loft and out of the rain, and he loved it and has let me know he wants to go to every game now, which is not bad considering we lost, it was raining and we didn't score! Yeni's freekicks provided some unexpected entertainment in first bad, then good ways!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024