Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager 16:47 - Sep 20 with 15580 viewsbosh67

Been thrown a load of new allegations of misconduct. Really not sure what to make of it. FA seem to have pulled the rug from under him. Been cleared in two investigations, subject to on the edge social media abuse from his accuser, backed by the ladies in the team. Seems to have been subject to a witch hunt.

Big shame for England Ladies. Really good boss and got so much more out of them. Fear for their chances now he has gone.

His accuser said he made very unpleasant comments to her several times but when they looked through the tapes of those incidents, which were recorded, there was nothing. If he did ever say them he was out of order but there is absolutely no evidence against him. Seems far too easy for people to be found guilty by social media and media bias.

But it is the team that could well suffer and all the fans as a consequence.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 12:42 - Sep 21 with 2909 viewsTacticalR

@1BobbyHazell 'Well if that's what you really think how about Aluko getting 'sacked' from playing for England just for answering questions put to her by the FA. Is that fair? Where is everyone's dismay at that?'

Actually, that is one thing I did pick up from those podcasts. The FA decided to institute a 'culture review', and within a week of Aluko giving (supposedly anonymous) answers to the questions that were put to her she was out of the team.

Air hostess clique

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 12:44 - Sep 21 with 2895 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 12:15 - Sep 21 by THEBUSH

Who is Mark Sampson anyway, I've never heard of him, perhaps that's just me.

How come he got to manage England Ladies manager in the first place ?

Imo, that was the first mistake the FA made, as it should have been a woman manager.

Call me old fashioned, but how can a male coach go into the women's changing room and see everything and not be affected by what's going on ?

These days women's football has improved so much and I'm sure there are plenty of women football coaches who'd like that job.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 12:17]

"how can a male coach go into the women's changing room and see everything and not be affected by what's going on ?"

Would you say the same of Hope Powell who is female, openly gay yet managed England Women for 15 years?
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 12:56 - Sep 21 with 2869 views1BobbyHazell

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 12:42 - Sep 21 by TacticalR

@1BobbyHazell 'Well if that's what you really think how about Aluko getting 'sacked' from playing for England just for answering questions put to her by the FA. Is that fair? Where is everyone's dismay at that?'

Actually, that is one thing I did pick up from those podcasts. The FA decided to institute a 'culture review', and within a week of Aluko giving (supposedly anonymous) answers to the questions that were put to her she was out of the team.

Exactly my point Tactical, she is quite clear about it in the interview I linked. Samson pitches up at her work place and tells her she's out of the team for 'unlioness behaviour' and refused/was unable to provide examples.

As I said previously there is no way the FA are handing over 80 grand hush money for no reason. They, unsurprisingly, seemed to have handled the whole thing terribly and unfortunately nobody comes out of it for the better. As the other article I linked notes, the top brass at the FA are busy looking after themselves and trying to protect their reputation. Which is ironic given what we all think of them.
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 13:52 - Sep 21 with 2780 viewsstowmarketrange

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 12:15 - Sep 21 by THEBUSH

Who is Mark Sampson anyway, I've never heard of him, perhaps that's just me.

How come he got to manage England Ladies manager in the first place ?

Imo, that was the first mistake the FA made, as it should have been a woman manager.

Call me old fashioned, but how can a male coach go into the women's changing room and see everything and not be affected by what's going on ?

These days women's football has improved so much and I'm sure there are plenty of women football coaches who'd like that job.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 12:17]

This is from the same FA that thinks it's ok for girls and boys to play together in the same teams until they reach 18.In fact they actually encourage it.
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 14:04 - Sep 21 with 2761 viewstoboboly

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 12:35 - Sep 21 by 1BobbyHazell

Well if that's what you really think how about Aluko getting 'sacked' from playing for England just for answering questions put to her by the FA. Is that fair? Where is everyone's dismay at that?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/21/eni-aluko-interview-race-diffic

As much as those others may be wronguns they don't play football for the FA and would never be given jobs by them so not strictly comparable. As for the 'investigations' see the above piece and also this one - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/20/mark-sampson-fa-england-buck-pa

Not exactly thorough!

I don't know anything about the Aluko thing and was happy to let all parties investigate etc hence why no comments on that. If he is a tw@t to some of his players then he should be dealt with as defined by the regulations of his employment.

In regards to people like Marlon King he plays within the FA system, they have overall responsibility for all football run in this country, they could easily introduce something that could ban these people.

It would be interesting to see how today's media/football community would deal with people like Ferguson throwing football boots at players and striking them.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 14:25 - Sep 21 with 2721 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 20:59 - Sep 20 by 1BobbyHazell

So Rio Ferdinand deserves anger, vitriol and ill wishes of violence for being a huge dick but a man who has clearly (sorry allegedly) been f*cking teenage girls under his care deserves all our sympathy and the right to sue the people who sacked him.

This is the FA, do you think they just handed Aluko 80 grand (which I assume is more than any players earn in a year!) for no f*cking reason!?

Then someone, who I assume isn't Samson's biggest fan, in football gives the FA a reminder of something they previously kept quiet about to do with him with a warning that things are so public about him now that if this got out real sh*t would hit the fan with them looking culpable. So they've act in their normal Self Preservation way.

I'm not saying he's racist at all by the way, I really couldn't give a flying f about the Aluko thing, it's meant nothing to me. But people telling a man who looks to have been (allegedly) doing that to young, impressionable teenage girls whose professional future may rest on his say so to sue for being sacked need to have a deep breath and think about what they are advocating.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2017 21:00]

The FA are spineless and it would not surprise me in the least if they paid Aluko just to brush matters under the carpet. That doesn't necessarily mean that her allegations are true. Despite sacking him for failing to meet their standards,the FA paid Sampson's contract in full and stated that he is not deemed to be a safeguarding threat in football.

Whichever way you cut it, the whole affair is a god damn mess. For me Aluko and Sampson are the victims of gross incompetency at the FA. I truly hope that any autopsopy doesn't pitch Aluko v. Sampson but instead focuses squarely on the inadequacies of the FA.
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 17:01 - Sep 21 with 2606 views1BobbyHazell

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 14:25 - Sep 21 by Benny_the_Ball

The FA are spineless and it would not surprise me in the least if they paid Aluko just to brush matters under the carpet. That doesn't necessarily mean that her allegations are true. Despite sacking him for failing to meet their standards,the FA paid Sampson's contract in full and stated that he is not deemed to be a safeguarding threat in football.

Whichever way you cut it, the whole affair is a god damn mess. For me Aluko and Sampson are the victims of gross incompetency at the FA. I truly hope that any autopsopy doesn't pitch Aluko v. Sampson but instead focuses squarely on the inadequacies of the FA.

I agree with your view of the FA and that they paid Aluko to keep quiet when they realised how incompetent the 'investigations' were and their part in the immediate relaying of information they had assured her was private and confidential to the very person it was concerning. Let's not forgot this was brought about by their Culture Review of the set up, Aluko had not approached them about any of it until they specifically came asking. Samson then doesn't look great (in fact he looks like the arrogant control freak I suspect him to be) by going straight to Aluko and telling her she's out of the England set up basically because 'I say so'. This is before any investigation has even begun.

They did not pay his contract in full, not even close. And the statement about not a safeguarding threat basically means he didn't do anything illegal in terms of relations with academy players. But it would seem that there were numerous transgressions with teenage girls in a situation that could easily be seen as him taking advantage of his position. Illegal? No, of course not. Desirable attribute of the man responsible for a powerful position in charge of young female footballers. Of course not.

I agree in regards that it's the FA's handling that needs looking at and hopefully it won't turn into an Aluko v Samson media war.
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 17:32 - Sep 21 with 2582 viewskarl

I don't know much of this situation or of Hope Powells time in charge but the common theme seems to be 'allegations/rumours' surrounding both of them to do with, let's say, sexual favours. Doesn't represent the FA and their women's football set up at all well it seems
Login to get fewer ads

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 17:47 - Sep 21 with 2562 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 17:01 - Sep 21 by 1BobbyHazell

I agree with your view of the FA and that they paid Aluko to keep quiet when they realised how incompetent the 'investigations' were and their part in the immediate relaying of information they had assured her was private and confidential to the very person it was concerning. Let's not forgot this was brought about by their Culture Review of the set up, Aluko had not approached them about any of it until they specifically came asking. Samson then doesn't look great (in fact he looks like the arrogant control freak I suspect him to be) by going straight to Aluko and telling her she's out of the England set up basically because 'I say so'. This is before any investigation has even begun.

They did not pay his contract in full, not even close. And the statement about not a safeguarding threat basically means he didn't do anything illegal in terms of relations with academy players. But it would seem that there were numerous transgressions with teenage girls in a situation that could easily be seen as him taking advantage of his position. Illegal? No, of course not. Desirable attribute of the man responsible for a powerful position in charge of young female footballers. Of course not.

I agree in regards that it's the FA's handling that needs looking at and hopefully it won't turn into an Aluko v Samson media war.

I agree that Aluko was probably victimised for her responses to the Culture Review but I don't think that Sampson is necessarily the architect. The FA are fond of a Yes man and could easily have instructed Sampson to deal with Aluko in the manner alleged. Why else would they clear him of wrong doing?

Let's also not forget that Sampson has received a lot of backing from players and ex-players alike, many of whom praised his methods.

Take a look at the celebration for England's first goal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41328164

Nikita Parris (who is black) makes a beeline for the manager after scoring and summons the rest of the squad to join her. They duly oblige and demonstrate a togetherness that just would not exist if Sampson were the animal that you paint.

The allegations that Aluko raised centred around perceived racism and bullying. The FA ducked the issue by paying Aluko off and clearing Sampson. When the heat intensified they recycled a historical case at the Bristol Academy (for which he was previously cleared) to provide justification for sacking Sampson. Despite this they did pay him in full and they deemed him as not being a safeguarding threat. This means that he is clear to work with teenage girls in future.

The reality is that there will always be people at work who you don't see eye-to-eye with. That is just natural and doesn't make you a bad person or ineffective at your job. However when prickly situations arise it's important that senior management deal with it in the right way. In this regard the FA (and to a lesser degree Sampson) have been left seriously wanting.

The upshot is that the FA has seriously damaged what little credibility it possessed and England Women have lost a decent player and manager.
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 10:24 - Sep 23 with 2243 viewshubble

"One of Mark Sampson’s former rivals for the England manager’s job has said rumours of his inappropriate relationships with female players at Bristol Academy were “common knowledge” in the women’s game before he was appointed.

Keith Boanas, now Watford Ladies coach, said he “cannot believe” those who recruited Sampson in December 2013 had not heard concerns about the 34-year-old’s conduct at Bristol where he was first a development coach and later managed the first team."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/22/mark-sampson-rumours-common-kno
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 12:34 - Sep 24 with 2087 viewsTacticalR

The plot thickens...detailed account which puts Ashworth at the centre of things:

FA’s Dan Ashworth must answer questions and not vanish from Mark Sampson saga
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/23/fa-dan-ashworth-mark-sampson

Air hostess clique

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 13:45 - Sep 24 with 2036 viewsessextaxiboy

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 02:56 - Sep 21 by PlanetHonneywood

A constructive dismissal requires the person to resign. He's been sacked, so this is not a constructive dismissal case!

If, as seems to be the case, some other details/info/evidence have come to light, Sampson might not wish for the dirty laundry to be aired in public, and ruin what is left of his reputation.

If he is guilty, then I hope the FA stands behind the allegations of victims, and doesn't grease his departure with a large wedge.

I was responding to the thread title ....er !
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 14:19 - Sep 24 with 2012 viewsjohncharles

Aluko, the main accuser, doesn't come out of this very well. She was prepared to keep quiet about things which would have serious repercussions not only for her but for all black players in the team and for women in sport in general. All swept under the carpet for £80,000.
Having accepted the money she later repeats the allegations

I assume she will now do the decent thing and pay the money back.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2017 15:47]

Strong and stable my arse.

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 14:25 - Sep 24 with 2003 viewsfrancisbowles

Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 14:19 - Sep 24 by johncharles

Aluko, the main accuser, doesn't come out of this very well. She was prepared to keep quiet about things which would have serious repercussions not only for her but for all black players in the team and for women in sport in general. All swept under the carpet for £80,000.
Having accepted the money she later repeats the allegations

I assume she will now do the decent thing and pay the money back.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2017 15:47]

I'm not defending Aluko but I believe the £80k was paid to keep her quiet during the summer tournament. It didn't prevent her from raising the issue once that was over.
A very strange agreement/understanding.
Mark Sampson forced to quit as England Ladies Manager on 02:40 - Sep 25 with 1900 viewstimcocking

Typical moaning bloody **men.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024