Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can any referees out there help 18:42 - Sep 23 with 4928 viewsQPR_John

When does a restart after the referee stops the game for an injury require a contested drop ball or a player kicking it back to the opposition in a less dangerous part of the field. We were playing along Burtons penalty area the referee stops the game then at the restart allows Burton to kick the ball to Smithies. We do not only lose the initiative but ground as well. There was a contested drop ball on the half way line so it appears to still be part of the game.

Can any referees out there help on 19:05 - Sep 23 with 3969 viewsdodge_stoke_r

I don't think I have seen so many drop balls in one game. When did footballers become such wane carrs? Rolling round like they have been hit by a howitzer shell one second, only to get up and run around like puppy dogs the next. And when did referees start falling for all of this shit as well?
Can any referees out there help on 00:35 - Sep 24 with 3786 viewsMatch82

Can any referees out there help on 19:05 - Sep 23 by dodge_stoke_r

I don't think I have seen so many drop balls in one game. When did footballers become such wane carrs? Rolling round like they have been hit by a howitzer shell one second, only to get up and run around like puppy dogs the next. And when did referees start falling for all of this shit as well?

Not sure if it made it onto match of the day but fellani had an absolute peach today. Got fouled but the ground performance was something spectacular. It was like someone was electrocuting him
Can any referees out there help on 00:39 - Sep 24 with 3776 viewsqpr1976

Be good if they could expain when a pass back from defender to keeper is not a backpass too ?
If it's not a back pass (and there was 2 blatant ones today) what the f is it ?
Can any referees out there help on 03:58 - Sep 24 with 3728 viewsjonno

Of course it would help if 99% of footballer weren't cheats attempting to con the referee the whole time.
Can any referees out there help on 09:22 - Sep 24 with 3620 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Can any referees out there help on 03:58 - Sep 24 by jonno

Of course it would help if 99% of footballer weren't cheats attempting to con the referee the whole time.

This!

May I just add, that when I hear anyone above the age of 30 say that this nonsense is 'part of the game', I really, really want them to be struck down there and then with the tom-tits!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Can any referees out there help on 09:46 - Sep 24 with 3592 viewsfrancisbowles

Can any referees out there help on 00:39 - Sep 24 by qpr1976

Be good if they could expain when a pass back from defender to keeper is not a backpass too ?

I think it has to be a deliberate back pass. The second one today was just a bit of a swing at the ball which happened to end up with the keeper.

However, I think Mr Madley today started off well, sensible refereeing, cards kept in pocket, most contact let go, game flows. Then in the last 20-30 mins something happened that changed his approach. Suddenly he is blowing every time there is the slightest contact and he even visibly changed a decision twice.

One was a dropped ball. He seemed to ask their right back to kick it back towards Smithies from about twenty yards inside his half. He seemed to refuse, maybe he can't kick that far or he was trying to ref the game. Mr Madley then changed his mind and ordered a contested drop ball on the half way line.

The other was a Sylla shot that was firstly given as a goal kick then his mind changed and he awarded a corner.

I think it's great that a ref can admit he was wrong and change a decision but it did look like he was losing the plot towards the end. He did though seem to think it was all rather fun.
Can any referees out there help on 09:59 - Sep 24 with 3576 viewsNorthernr

I wasn't so annoyed with the referee yesterday as our players - three times QPR players went down with injuries apparently so horrendous the game had to be stopped, only to then be fit enough to carry on, two of them without even being seen by the physio. Get on with it it's our fcking time.
Can any referees out there help on 10:40 - Sep 24 with 3533 viewselnombre

Can any referees out there help on 09:59 - Sep 24 by Northernr

I wasn't so annoyed with the referee yesterday as our players - three times QPR players went down with injuries apparently so horrendous the game had to be stopped, only to then be fit enough to carry on, two of them without even being seen by the physio. Get on with it it's our fcking time.

Scowen took more than a few knocks before he went over, he doesn't strike me as much of a malingerer?

Pav hit his man like a rugby league forward - made me wince, and I watch Wigan. Bloke beside me shouted, 'he's not hurt - he's Polish!'.

Madley was certainly a bit on the officious side though, no change there then.
Login to get fewer ads

Can any referees out there help on 11:07 - Sep 24 with 3497 viewsbosh67

Can any referees out there help on 09:59 - Sep 24 by Northernr

To be honest I thought the ref had a fairly decent game. Easy enough game to ref, didn't brandish any cards, added on the right amount of time. The only problem for the ref is that certain incidents looked so horrific, as you said, at first glance and both stoppages seemingly came from the ref getting messages in his ear from the linos. On both occasions the linos flagged madly that there had either been a death involved or nuclear war had broken out between North Korea and the USA. I don't think the ref had much option either time.

What was funny and summed up the level of general player intelligence was the Burton player volleying one of the drop balls! The crowd groaned at the ref but that was a blessed moment of moron by their player.

Some of our fans shouted 'your just another sh*t ref' but I've seen a lot of sh*t refs at Rangers and I thought it was very harsh on this guy. When players go to ground like that and the lino does a frantic flag river dance on the sideline what is he supposed to do?
[Post edited 24 Sep 2017 11:09]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Can any referees out there help on 11:59 - Sep 24 with 3457 viewsQPR_John

None of the above replys answers the question why are drop balls usually not contested in the modern game. Who decides. The one incident that annoyed me was the play being stopped when we were on the edge of Burtons penalty area. On the restart we lost the initiative and ground as the ball went back to Smithies. Surely it is an open door for defenders under pressure to fake injury.
Can any referees out there help on 12:10 - Sep 24 with 3446 viewsWatford_Ranger

Can any referees out there help on 11:59 - Sep 24 by QPR_John

None of the above replys answers the question why are drop balls usually not contested in the modern game. Who decides. The one incident that annoyed me was the play being stopped when we were on the edge of Burtons penalty area. On the restart we lost the initiative and ground as the ball went back to Smithies. Surely it is an open door for defenders under pressure to fake injury.

The referee has no authority to order the player not to contest it, I believe. That's why the one against Millwall was so laughable.
Can any referees out there help on 12:25 - Sep 24 with 3432 viewsbosh67

Can any referees out there help on 00:39 - Sep 24 by qpr1976

I thought the first one was a pretty decent shout for a back pass but the rule is so shady these days I am not surprised refs don't give them anymore. Second one for me the guy was stretching to reach the ball so I didn't think that one was a back pass. First one was. Again loathed to blame the ref because the rule is with intent and that, especially at this level, is hard to judge.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Can any referees out there help on 13:04 - Sep 24 with 3406 viewsQPR_John

Can any referees out there help on 12:10 - Sep 24 by Watford_Ranger

The referee has no authority to order the player not to contest it, I believe. That's why the one against Millwall was so laughable.

i would imagine if the referee dropped the ball and a player just passed it to a team mate there would be a whistle very soon after for whatever reason not to mention a card.
Can any referees out there help on 13:46 - Sep 24 with 3361 viewsWatford_Ranger

Can any referees out there help on 13:04 - Sep 24 by QPR_John

i would imagine if the referee dropped the ball and a player just passed it to a team mate there would be a whistle very soon after for whatever reason not to mention a card.

It would piss the opposition off but don't see what rule it would break.
Can any referees out there help on 14:19 - Sep 24 with 3328 viewsfrancisbowles

Can any referees out there help on 12:25 - Sep 24 by bosh67

I thought the first one was a pretty decent shout for a back pass but the rule is so shady these days I am not surprised refs don't give them anymore. Second one for me the guy was stretching to reach the ball so I didn't think that one was a back pass. First one was. Again loathed to blame the ref because the rule is with intent and that, especially at this level, is hard to judge.

Like a few other things in the game, could be simplified. Any ball going back to the keeper (maybe allow a genuine header), then he can't pick it up. This would help to make the game more attacking and incur less delays with the ball in the keeper's hands. Exactly what was originally intended?
Can any referees out there help on 18:33 - Sep 24 with 3275 viewsQPR_John

Can any referees out there help on 13:46 - Sep 24 by Watford_Ranger

It would piss the opposition off but don't see what rule it would break.

The point being the ref under those circumstances would find a reason to penalise the player.
Can any referees out there help on 18:42 - Sep 24 with 3269 viewsWatford_Ranger

Can any referees out there help on 18:33 - Sep 24 by QPR_John

The point being the ref under those circumstances would find a reason to penalise the player.

Why, if no rule is broken?

Players have smashed the ball in when trying to play it back to the goalkeeper. The ref doesn't disallow the goal and it's up to the team whether or not to let the opposition equalise.
Can any referees out there help on 18:45 - Sep 24 with 3262 viewsQPR_John

Can any referees out there help on 14:19 - Sep 24 by francisbowles

Like a few other things in the game, could be simplified. Any ball going back to the keeper (maybe allow a genuine header), then he can't pick it up. This would help to make the game more attacking and incur less delays with the ball in the keeper's hands. Exactly what was originally intended?

Opposition shoots the ball is deflected off a defender the goalkeeper makes a save. Is it a foul and/or a red card for stopping a goal scoring opportunity.
Can any referees out there help on 18:47 - Sep 24 with 3253 viewsQPR_John

Can any referees out there help on 18:42 - Sep 24 by Watford_Ranger

Why, if no rule is broken?

Players have smashed the ball in when trying to play it back to the goalkeeper. The ref doesn't disallow the goal and it's up to the team whether or not to let the opposition equalise.

OK
Can any referees out there help on 19:08 - Sep 24 with 3243 viewsNorthernr

Play is restarted with a contested drop ball, it's just that usually one team sportingly kicks it back to whoever was in possession at the time of the stoppage, but there's no rule to enforce that and the referee can't demand they do that.
Can any referees out there help on 21:27 - Sep 24 with 3168 viewsWatford_Ranger

Can any referees out there help on 19:08 - Sep 24 by Northernr

Play is restarted with a contested drop ball, it's just that usually one team sportingly kicks it back to whoever was in possession at the time of the stoppage, but there's no rule to enforce that and the referee can't demand they do that.

Mr East can and will.
Can any referees out there help on 09:57 - Sep 25 with 2994 viewsfrancisbowles

Can any referees out there help on 18:45 - Sep 24 by QPR_John

Opposition shoots the ball is deflected off a defender the goalkeeper makes a save. Is it a foul and/or a red card for stopping a goal scoring opportunity.

No it's an indirect free kick for a back pass, if the keeper catches or picks it up.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 10:00]
Can any referees out there help on 12:52 - Sep 25 with 2925 viewsPinnerPaul

OK folks

Drop balls - Referee has no authority to order a contested or non contested drop ball, actually states that in the laws.

If you asked top referees why it appears they DO seem to do that every game, I'm sure they will say they are just suggesting to the players what would be a good idea or even asking them what they are going to do. For the contested one on Saturday - looked like neither team wanted to 'give' the ball back when asked - hence the contested. Ball does have to touch the ground before a player can touch it. Law was changed a few seasons ago, so a goal can NOT be scored directly from a drop ball any longer. Ball goes in the net straight from a drop ball its a GK or a corner if in own net.

'Back Pass' - no such thing. The law is 'Deliberate kick to the goalkeeper' which I think you'll agree is more specific and why you don't see many given.

Ref Saturday - thought he had a good game, but I'm accused of always saying that, so ignore that, those of you it upsets so much.

Cheers
Can any referees out there help on 13:15 - Sep 25 with 2907 viewsNorthernr

Can any referees out there help on 12:52 - Sep 25 by PinnerPaul

OK folks

Drop balls - Referee has no authority to order a contested or non contested drop ball, actually states that in the laws.

If you asked top referees why it appears they DO seem to do that every game, I'm sure they will say they are just suggesting to the players what would be a good idea or even asking them what they are going to do. For the contested one on Saturday - looked like neither team wanted to 'give' the ball back when asked - hence the contested. Ball does have to touch the ground before a player can touch it. Law was changed a few seasons ago, so a goal can NOT be scored directly from a drop ball any longer. Ball goes in the net straight from a drop ball its a GK or a corner if in own net.

'Back Pass' - no such thing. The law is 'Deliberate kick to the goalkeeper' which I think you'll agree is more specific and why you don't see many given.

Ref Saturday - thought he had a good game, but I'm accused of always saying that, so ignore that, those of you it upsets so much.

Cheers

I thought he was good as well, although that back pass/deliberate kick to the goalkeeper in the first half was pretty obvious.
Can any referees out there help on 13:22 - Sep 25 with 2895 viewsfrancisbowles

Can any referees out there help on 13:15 - Sep 25 by Northernr

I thought he was good as well, although that back pass/deliberate kick to the goalkeeper in the first half was pretty obvious.

Like you Clive, I thought he lost it at the end. Suddenly everything was a foul for the slightest bump whereas before he had mainly let the game flow.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024