Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Washington? 20:08 - Sep 23 with 9592 viewskingo

I am all for giving a player a chance but he offers absolutely nothing up front. Sylla must have really done something wrong.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Washington? on 07:43 - Sep 24 with 2364 viewsRoller

Washington's and Mackie's hounding of our opponents defenders was a key component in our early season victories at home, but they have been far less effective against teams who don't try to play out from the back. Neither Smith nor Sylla offer anything like their work rate, but I felt today the problem was more that we didn't play the ball out from the back with any assurance resulting in far too many hopeful lobs up field which played into Burton's hands. When we finally got the ball on the ground we worked a couple of decent openings down our right, but missed Luongo arriving late into the penalty area to make up the numbers.
Washington? on 08:40 - Sep 24 with 2304 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I haven't seen us play this season, so my thoughts are based on what I've seen of the 'Awesome Foursome' previously.

I think Mackie and Washington are one in the same. Both work tirelessly and very unselfish, but playing workhorses together when neither is ever going to be a scoring stallion, is only going to get you so far.

We have 75% of all the wingers in the Championship FACT!. In Smith, we have a bloke who is as slow as paint drying, but he can get his noggins on it in the box. In Sylla, we have a bloke who is only interested on getting his head, his leftie, his rightie or his arse on the end of something in front of the goal. Not interested in that running back nonsense. Thus, it seems to me, that feeding these beasts as required, is the key.

Just as I wouldn't look to play Mackie and Washington as a pair unless I had to; neither would I pair Sylla and Smith. Not sure if Olly is playing one, two or three up-top these days, but if I were going with two, then it would be one from our workhorse selection, paired with one from our combo of lethal weapons.

What news of the lad we brought over from Norn Iron?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Washington? on 09:48 - Sep 24 with 2233 viewsHayesender

Washington only scored 20 odd goals in 80 odd appearances for Peterborough, so I've no idea what possessed us to spunk a good chunk of the Charlie Austin money on him

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Washington? on 10:13 - Sep 24 with 2192 viewsenfieldargh

Connor reminds me a lot of Hooper.

Scored shed loads for Celtic(league 1 equivalent) but then hardly scored any for Norwich and is just now(4 years later) finding his feet

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Washington? on 10:17 - Sep 24 with 2188 viewssmegma

Washington? on 09:48 - Sep 24 by Hayesender

Washington only scored 20 odd goals in 80 odd appearances for Peterborough, so I've no idea what possessed us to spunk a good chunk of the Charlie Austin money on him

27 in 82 is a good rate but as has been proven, maybe the Championship is a step too far. But I still go back to the argument that we don't supply our forwards with decent enough crosses. There's also the argument he doesn't get into scoring positions often enough. Whatever it is, something has to change. But I think the biggest problem is his sidekick . I'd prefer to see Smith paired with Washington, as long as we don't go long ball/route 1 every game.
Washington? on 10:34 - Sep 24 with 2157 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

For me Washington is one of the least effective forwards I have ever seen play regularly in a QPR shirt. In 50 years plus.

Evidence for the defence mainly rests on him running around a lot. But I can't remember him ever winning a 50:50 ball off a defender like Poulter would or causing their defence any inconvenience in playing the ball out like Mackie used to. If he is there for a pressing game I have to admit I missed that bit.

Neither has he come close to striking up a working partnership with Mackie, Smith or Sylla. After playing with Smith loads of times he still can't anticipate anything Smith is going to do. Which probably explains why Smith is getting worse. What's the point?

The other defence arguments seem to be that the alternatives are no better or the old one that the game isn't being played to suit Washington. Neither of which are true.

I was a season ticket regular but this season have opted out. Burton was my first league game this season. Nothing has changed in the Washington world.

Like the OP said - Sylla must have really done something wrong.
Washington? on 10:36 - Sep 24 with 2147 viewsoldmisery

Washington? on 08:40 - Sep 24 by PlanetHonneywood

I haven't seen us play this season, so my thoughts are based on what I've seen of the 'Awesome Foursome' previously.

I think Mackie and Washington are one in the same. Both work tirelessly and very unselfish, but playing workhorses together when neither is ever going to be a scoring stallion, is only going to get you so far.

We have 75% of all the wingers in the Championship FACT!. In Smith, we have a bloke who is as slow as paint drying, but he can get his noggins on it in the box. In Sylla, we have a bloke who is only interested on getting his head, his leftie, his rightie or his arse on the end of something in front of the goal. Not interested in that running back nonsense. Thus, it seems to me, that feeding these beasts as required, is the key.

Just as I wouldn't look to play Mackie and Washington as a pair unless I had to; neither would I pair Sylla and Smith. Not sure if Olly is playing one, two or three up-top these days, but if I were going with two, then it would be one from our workhorse selection, paired with one from our combo of lethal weapons.

What news of the lad we brought over from Norn Iron?

Couldn't agree more. Having watched us play on nine occasions this season, it seems a very odd policy to go with Washington and Mackie as the number one option. Both work tirelessly, harass and close down defenders and the keeper and in addition offer help to their own defenders - but neither will score more than eight goals per season.

Smith and Sylla are the polar opposites. Surely it must be worth pairing either Washington with Smith or Sylla or Mackie with Smith or Sylla. Instead Holloway favours either substituting Washington and Mackie for S and S or keeping one of the 'little' guys on and bringing on both the two larger men. This then results in them all getting in each others way and leaves us vulnerable to a quick counter attack.
Washington? on 10:39 - Sep 24 with 2140 viewstimcocking

To say he offers absolutely nothing is very harsh.

I do think him and Mackie is...not the best partnership ever, apart from in a defensive sense obviously.
Login to get fewer ads

Washington? on 14:55 - Sep 24 with 1990 viewsTacticalR

Remember back in March when Washington tried to blame everything on JFH?

CW talks about how good Ollie is
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/192095/

Air hostess clique

Washington? on 15:40 - Sep 24 with 1940 viewsGloucs_R

He's a poor man's Jamie Mackie 😀😀😀😀😀

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Washington? on 16:15 - Sep 24 with 1906 viewsdaveB

What Washington does give us, similar to Mackie, is defending from the front. He sets the tempo for the team closing players down and forcing mistakes, he's been winning the ball back high up the field and allowing Luongo and Freeman to play high up the pitch. he didn't do any of the yesterday in what was a very poor performance but overall I can see why Holloway picks him most weeks ahead of Sylla and Smith.

I'd stick with him for now but he's certainly running out of chances
Washington? on 16:51 - Sep 24 with 1876 viewsPunteR

I keep putting him in as scorer in my prediction league effort. I think it might be that.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Washington? on 17:01 - Sep 24 with 1863 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Washington? on 16:15 - Sep 24 by daveB

What Washington does give us, similar to Mackie, is defending from the front. He sets the tempo for the team closing players down and forcing mistakes, he's been winning the ball back high up the field and allowing Luongo and Freeman to play high up the pitch. he didn't do any of the yesterday in what was a very poor performance but overall I can see why Holloway picks him most weeks ahead of Sylla and Smith.

I'd stick with him for now but he's certainly running out of chances

Yesterday's was a typical Washington performance reminding me why I gave up the season tickets.
Washington? on 17:45 - Sep 24 with 1823 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Washington? on 17:01 - Sep 24 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Yesterday's was a typical Washington performance reminding me why I gave up the season tickets.

The place looks empty without you mate, come back soon we miss you.
Washington? on 17:55 - Sep 24 with 1802 viewsBoston

Washington? on 17:45 - Sep 24 by BazzaInTheLoft

The place looks empty without you mate, come back soon we miss you.

Ooh, are you being saucy to spaghetti?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Washington? on 19:14 - Sep 24 with 1727 viewsGloucs_R

Right back and centre forward are the two next areas of focus.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Washington? on 19:16 - Sep 24 with 1725 viewsNortholt_Rs

Washington? on 23:44 - Sep 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think it's too easy to say he's pizzpoor without asking why he scored at Peterborough and for NI but not for us.

At one point last year around Newcastle away he scored 3 or 4 on the trot so he has it in him.

Just being angry at him isn't going to do anyone any favours.

A goal every seven games is pizzpoor by any standards for a striker.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Washington? on 20:13 - Sep 24 with 1680 viewskingo

Washington? on 10:39 - Sep 24 by timcocking

To say he offers absolutely nothing is very harsh.

I do think him and Mackie is...not the best partnership ever, apart from in a defensive sense obviously.

Like many others it seems, I would like it to work for Washington but it simply isn't happening. He runs around a lot but doesn't actually seem that he wants to get to the defender with the ball. He isn't good in the air and he his anticipation of a move is non existent. In the second half yesterday he had one of our few chances, if he had taken a couple of steps forward he would have got a shot away, instead he waited for the ball and allowed their defender to block. Another chance early on, he should have laid off but he tried to turn and take on 3 defenders and lost the ball. His finishing is poor. in the Reading game he had 3 clear chances and fluffed them all. Sorry but Mackie does the same job and at least gets a decent shot away and puts his foot in, Washington has had his chances and hasn't taken them.

Washington? on 21:08 - Sep 24 with 1620 viewsBoston

By George, Washington must go.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Washington? on 22:27 - Sep 24 with 1558 viewsT_Block

Washington? on 21:08 - Sep 24 by Boston

By George, Washington must go.

Yes Washington is not cutting it at the moment.But the spending days are over.The only thing I can suggest he practices and practices and develops a very hard shot-that would be a start.
But as fans we have to accept two things: 1.The new QPR set-up will have to carry players in the hope they improve.2.Accept the fact that fans may miss potential where others see it ,i.e. we as fans are not good judges of potential.Knee-jerks after results are not moments of good judgement.

If you want the finished article, be like all other kids who want everything now, and go and watch a premiership side.

Otherwise support the kid the best we can.

Lala the choice is yours
Washington? on 23:06 - Sep 24 with 1527 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Washington? on 22:27 - Sep 24 by T_Block

Yes Washington is not cutting it at the moment.But the spending days are over.The only thing I can suggest he practices and practices and develops a very hard shot-that would be a start.
But as fans we have to accept two things: 1.The new QPR set-up will have to carry players in the hope they improve.2.Accept the fact that fans may miss potential where others see it ,i.e. we as fans are not good judges of potential.Knee-jerks after results are not moments of good judgement.

If you want the finished article, be like all other kids who want everything now, and go and watch a premiership side.

Otherwise support the kid the best we can.

Lala the choice is yours

Or put him on the bench where he belongs. We don't have to carry him in the starting eleven, do we?
Washington? on 07:43 - Sep 25 with 1437 viewskingo

Washington? on 23:06 - Sep 24 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Or put him on the bench where he belongs. We don't have to carry him in the starting eleven, do we?

Particularly when we have two forwards who do put the ball in the net. This is not a knee jerk but it simply isn’t happening for Washington after a long time in the team. Around Newcastle and Leeds last season I thought he had turned the corner but I don’t think he is capable of stepping up.

Washington? on 08:36 - Sep 25 with 1395 viewsWatford_Ranger

Barnsley away on a Tuesday is the sort of game I'd want him in for though. Appreciate he's badly out of form and luck right now.

Maybe Smith & Wash tomorrow. Mackie & Sylla Friday.
Washington? on 09:20 - Sep 25 with 1364 viewssimmo

Washington? on 07:38 - Sep 24 by RBlock

Everyone asking why Sylla or Smith don't get the box, its because Wash fits in with the high pressing tempo that started us so well. Smith isn't mobile enough and Sylla rarely closes them down with enough energy.

But as I put in the match report thread, we have Mackie plus the rest of the team to press. At some point we have to sacrifice at least one person that does that less effectively to fit in someone that can take a chance or get on a cross - ideally not with only 20-30 minutes left of the game. We look better post subs almost every game, on one hand that shows effective changes from Ollie, but this consitently just means that we might be starting the wrong way. Millwall and now Burton clear examples of that.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Washington? on 16:53 - Sep 25 with 1219 viewsPinnerPaul

Washington? on 17:01 - Sep 24 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Giving up your season ticket because one player isn't playing very well??????????????
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024