Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Washington? 20:08 - Sep 23 with 9706 viewskingo

I am all for giving a player a chance but he offers absolutely nothing up front. Sylla must have really done something wrong.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Washington? on 20:28 - Sep 23 with 4961 viewsQPR_John

To be fair to Washington I'm sure he was a bit deflated before the game to be told by Holloway to stay up top and get his head to those aerial balls before the 6 foot defenders.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2017 20:29]
Washington? on 20:40 - Sep 23 with 4908 viewskingo

Washington? on 20:28 - Sep 23 by QPR_John

To be fair to Washington I'm sure he was a bit deflated before the game to be told by Holloway to stay up top and get his head to those aerial balls before the 6 foot defenders.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2017 20:29]

If it was just that he didn’t win any headers then I would be more hopeful. But there were no positives about his play at all, and not for the first time.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Washington? on 20:53 - Sep 23 with 4853 viewsStanisgod

Washington? on 20:40 - Sep 23 by kingo

If it was just that he didn’t win any headers then I would be more hopeful. But there were no positives about his play at all, and not for the first time.

Dont think overall Sylla offers much more over 90 minutes to be honest. If you added the good bits of all 4 forwards we have you MIGHT just make 1 decent forward.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Washington? on 20:58 - Sep 23 with 4833 viewsHayesender

How many games since he scored now? 9?

Poor however you look at it

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Washington? on 20:58 - Sep 23 with 4832 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He has 1/3 for N Ireland and 1/6 for us.

What is MO'N doing differently?

He is better than no striker though, which is the only alternative right now.

I still think he'll come good Paul Furlong style and he's grafting which is always a good signal of character when things aren't falling right.

I like him.
Washington? on 21:01 - Sep 23 with 4816 viewsNortholt_Rs

Washington? on 20:58 - Sep 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

He has 1/3 for N Ireland and 1/6 for us.

What is MO'N doing differently?

He is better than no striker though, which is the only alternative right now.

I still think he'll come good Paul Furlong style and he's grafting which is always a good signal of character when things aren't falling right.

I like him.

The bloke is pizzpoor. Any defence facing him and Mackie know they have very little to be worried about.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Washington? on 21:16 - Sep 23 with 4776 viewsbosh67

Works his nuts off, never gives up, even against defenders twice his size. Makes decent runs and generally in front of goal strokes the ball with the strength of a limp feather. Just put your f*cking foot through it lad, you'd actually expose yourself the risk of scoring some goals.

For me with the likes of Wszołek, Wheeler, Freeman and Bright we should be playing Smith and Sylla up front. We finally have players that can swing a ball in left and right and we keep starting with Conor and Jamie against teams with defenders the size of Smith. Just stupid. If you are going to attack, attack with some actual physical intent.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Washington? on 21:30 - Sep 23 with 4725 viewsted_hendrix

Like you Kingo I'm all for giving our players a fair shout but he's been here a while now and his goal return seems poor to me, unless some statistical oddball can prove me wrong.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Washington? on 22:14 - Sep 23 with 4595 viewsbosh67

Washington? on 21:30 - Sep 23 by ted_hendrix

Like you Kingo I'm all for giving our players a fair shout but he's been here a while now and his goal return seems poor to me, unless some statistical oddball can prove me wrong.

56 games 9 goals. It's not great is it. As against Sylla on 34 games and 11 goals and Smith on 21 games and 7 goals. Both Smith and Sylla you also have to take on board half their games are from the subs bench. Yet Conor gets the nod almost every week.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Washington? on 22:21 - Sep 23 with 4570 viewsLongsufferingR

Washington? on 21:16 - Sep 23 by bosh67

Works his nuts off, never gives up, even against defenders twice his size. Makes decent runs and generally in front of goal strokes the ball with the strength of a limp feather. Just put your f*cking foot through it lad, you'd actually expose yourself the risk of scoring some goals.

For me with the likes of Wszołek, Wheeler, Freeman and Bright we should be playing Smith and Sylla up front. We finally have players that can swing a ball in left and right and we keep starting with Conor and Jamie against teams with defenders the size of Smith. Just stupid. If you are going to attack, attack with some actual physical intent.

Agree. Finishing is the worst part of his game but unfortunately it's the most important for a striker. Austin had many flaws in his overall game but bldy hell could he finish. CW gives the impression he's either trying too hard (eg hitting bar against Millwall when a calmer finish was required) or suffering a total lack of confidence (eg couple of chances today which he might as well have thrown a wet tissue at).

Definitely time for Smith & Sylla to start.
Washington? on 22:26 - Sep 23 with 4545 viewsflynnbo

Holloway as a player=limited ability but ran around a lot
Washington= see above
Washington? on 23:44 - Sep 23 with 4392 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Washington? on 21:01 - Sep 23 by Northolt_Rs

The bloke is pizzpoor. Any defence facing him and Mackie know they have very little to be worried about.

I think it's too easy to say he's pizzpoor without asking why he scored at Peterborough and for NI but not for us.

At one point last year around Newcastle away he scored 3 or 4 on the trot so he has it in him.

Just being angry at him isn't going to do anyone any favours.
Washington? on 23:48 - Sep 23 with 4379 viewsTripleR

No one can argue about Washington's commitment, he works tirelessly for the team, but, its goals that count.
His return is really poor, he was put through today, turned his marker/defender and instead of going for the goal he passed it to Mackie. Shows a striker to be low on confidence.
Washington? on 00:05 - Sep 24 with 4345 viewsqpr1976

I don't think starting with Mackie most games helps. I think he'd be better playing or feeding off Smith from the start or Sylla after an hour.

TBH as an ex legend said earlier this week, our problem is our 4 main strikers are all plan B, none are plan A !
Washington? on 00:21 - Sep 24 with 4304 viewskomradkirk

from what i saw today none of them look like they could finish their dinner.
Washington? on 00:37 - Sep 24 with 4278 viewsDeepcutHoop

Washington? on 00:05 - Sep 24 by qpr1976

I don't think starting with Mackie most games helps. I think he'd be better playing or feeding off Smith from the start or Sylla after an hour.

TBH as an ex legend said earlier this week, our problem is our 4 main strikers are all plan B, none are plan A !

Sadly it's right to point out that the strikers we have available are limited.

In which case, I'll take them putting the effort in, and until he and Jamie stop trying, they're worth their place.
Washington? on 00:56 - Sep 24 with 4250 viewsqpr1976

Washington? on 00:37 - Sep 24 by DeepcutHoop

Sadly it's right to point out that the strikers we have available are limited.

In which case, I'll take them putting the effort in, and until he and Jamie stop trying, they're worth their place.

Does that suggests Smith & Sylla don't try ? Because I think they both do. It wouldn't hurt to try a different pairing after a few winless games. IMO
Washington? on 01:40 - Sep 24 with 4205 viewsozexile

Gerry francis was excellent at rotating his strikers. You had Les and wegerle or allen or penrice. You knew if you didn't score on week you'd probably be sitting out the next.
Washington? on 01:41 - Sep 24 with 4204 viewssmegma

Washington? on 21:30 - Sep 23 by ted_hendrix

Washington has 10 in 67. Sylla 11 in 41. Smith 7 in 25. Admittedly they are not all starts.

On paper it doesn't look good but Jimmy Greaves in his prime would have struggled today as there was no supply for any of the forwards to feed on. The only player who actually tried to go past his marker was the new kid Osayi-Samuel. We just kept going square when we got near the box then ended up lumping it down the middle where Burton had two 6 foot 13 inch defenders.
Washington? on 03:55 - Sep 24 with 4131 viewsjonno

Said on here a few weeks ago that Washington is simply not good enough at our level. Scored goals at a level below, and for NI but again probably not the same sort of level. Yes, he works hard but that isn't the point. Watch him when the ball comes into the box, he stays behind the defender and hopes the ball will find him. A good striker gets to the ball in front of the defender, by doing that he can make an average cross into a good one. And even when he does get chances, he misses nearly all of them. He's thrown away a number of good opportunities already this season with very poor finishing. Can he actually shoot? Surely it's time to try somebody else?
Washington? on 04:13 - Sep 24 with 4123 viewsitsbiga

If we had a goal scorer as good as our goal stopper we'd be top 2 right now I would imagine.
Nothing against our front men on effort but they just ain't finishers.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Washington? on 05:48 - Sep 24 with 4071 viewsBlueandWhiteRiot

The way the market is for strikers in this league is going. I get the feeling the club will sort the rest of the team out first, then go out and gamble, on spend a fair bit of money on a striker who will get 20 goals or so. There is simply no point of taking that gamble just yet.
Washington? on 07:38 - Sep 24 with 3977 viewsRBlock

Everyone asking why Sylla or Smith don't get the box, its because Wash fits in with the high pressing tempo that started us so well. Smith isn't mobile enough and Sylla rarely closes them down with enough energy.
Washington? on 07:40 - Sep 24 with 3975 viewsMelakaRanger

Washington? on 23:48 - Sep 23 by TripleR

No one can argue about Washington's commitment, he works tirelessly for the team, but, its goals that count.
His return is really poor, he was put through today, turned his marker/defender and instead of going for the goal he passed it to Mackie. Shows a striker to be low on confidence.

Indeed. Washington was very poor today. To me he appeared lightweight and far too small in both stature & strength to act as our 'centre forward'. having said that, when 'big & tall' Smith came on he didn't seem to win any headers or indeed be any better than Washington!

Yes Washington did a lot of running but I also observed that he gave up many times too. And like many of the players today he appeared to me to be frightened to get the ball or do anything with it.

In my mind he just isn't quality enough for the Championship - again like quite a few who were in our team yesterday - and I don't think he ever will be.
Washington? on 07:40 - Sep 24 with 3975 viewsRs_Holy

Washington? on 03:55 - Sep 24 by jonno

Said on here a few weeks ago that Washington is simply not good enough at our level. Scored goals at a level below, and for NI but again probably not the same sort of level. Yes, he works hard but that isn't the point. Watch him when the ball comes into the box, he stays behind the defender and hopes the ball will find him. A good striker gets to the ball in front of the defender, by doing that he can make an average cross into a good one. And even when he does get chances, he misses nearly all of them. He's thrown away a number of good opportunities already this season with very poor finishing. Can he actually shoot? Surely it's time to try somebody else?

I really want it to work out for Conor but I have to agree 100% with this post. One other thing about him is his lack of awareness of what's around him. He struggles to find players on an overlap or looking for a 1-2.
He is so honest and probably the perfect pro when it comes to training but he is not Championship standard.
He would do well at League 1 level imho.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024