Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Budgie 23:42 - Nov 13 with 8537 viewsBoston

I have just read that there is a flock of Budgie's numbering 7,000 strong making their home on the outskirts of South West London. I've never seen one in the err wild, probably can't make it past the fried chicken establishments of North West London.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Budgie on 00:12 - Nov 14 with 3791 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I was back to n London around September 2013, when I heard this odd noise in the sky.
I looked up, four parrots flying past. They won’t survive winter I thought.

Last Christmas I was in a cab up in York and the driver thought I was taking the phish when I said London is full of green parrots. Many theories as to why, but seemingly, a few escaped Kew Gardens and they’ve thrived.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Budgie on 00:22 - Nov 14 with 3781 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

They’ve been established a while.

I used to play cricket for the Underground at Perivale, and after bowling a fella out he claimed the parakeets screeching put him off. Even the umpire mugged him off for that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/11418593/Ring-tailed-parakeets-ar
Budgie on 01:17 - Nov 14 with 3759 viewstimcocking

Budgie on 00:22 - Nov 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

They’ve been established a while.

I used to play cricket for the Underground at Perivale, and after bowling a fella out he claimed the parakeets screeching put him off. Even the umpire mugged him off for that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/11418593/Ring-tailed-parakeets-ar

Poor effort from that batsmen! Some people...
Budgie on 07:17 - Nov 14 with 3687 viewsdanehoop

Budgie on 01:17 - Nov 14 by timcocking

Poor effort from that batsmen! Some people...

Flock of the things nests where I live in Epsom. All a bit odd.

Never knowingly understood

Budgie on 07:43 - Nov 14 with 3661 viewsPunteR

One theory i heard about 20 years ago when they first started to appear in Richmond park was they escaped from Twickenham film studio, while they were filming scenes for Out of Africa.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Budgie on 08:12 - Nov 14 with 3631 viewsWokingR

They are pretty much everywhere now.
Must go at it quicker than rabbits.
We even have them flying around Woking.
Budgie on 08:14 - Nov 14 with 3624 viewshoopdog

Budgie on 07:43 - Nov 14 by PunteR

One theory i heard about 20 years ago when they first started to appear in Richmond park was they escaped from Twickenham film studio, while they were filming scenes for Out of Africa.

Nah they've been about a lot longer than that !
One theory I've heard is an Indian fella over in Southall brought a pair from India bred them and some escaped over fifty years ago , a paper did that story years back
Budgie on 08:39 - Nov 14 with 3576 viewshubble

They're not parrots, they're parakeets. I've been observing their relentless spread across North West London for many years (as a bit of a naturalist). They're slowly driving out native birds as they do so... So the crows and thrushes and blackbirds probably need Nigel Birdcage to fly to their rescue...

I first saw them on Hampstead Heath about 20 years ago. They've only arrived in Queens Park in the last 5 years or so, and the very first flock to fly over the back of where I live was about 3 years ago. To my knowledge they;ve been in Richmond Park about 20 years as well. Didn't know they'd made it oop North though. I've spent a lot of time in Yorkshire in the last 5 years and never seen one there.
Login to get fewer ads

Budgie on 08:46 - Nov 14 with 3568 viewsCroydonCaptJack

My son plays in the Surrey Youth League and for the last five to six years I can't ever recall not hearing or seeing one wherever we have been playing on a Sunday. Their rise has been relentless. As Hubble says this is unfortunately at the expense of other birds. These are parakeets though not budgies like the OP says. I would be surprised if budgies survived here.
Budgie on 09:03 - Nov 14 with 3538 viewsMick_S

Budgie on 08:46 - Nov 14 by CroydonCaptJack

My son plays in the Surrey Youth League and for the last five to six years I can't ever recall not hearing or seeing one wherever we have been playing on a Sunday. Their rise has been relentless. As Hubble says this is unfortunately at the expense of other birds. These are parakeets though not budgies like the OP says. I would be surprised if budgies survived here.

Who does he play for CCJ? My son played for Sandgate - it's a very, very strong league.

Anyway, millions of the buggers in Hillingdon and I once saw a peacock sitting on the roof of a house in Chalfont.

Here's me in my back garden.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2017 9:22]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Budgie on 09:20 - Nov 14 with 3515 viewshopphoops

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose-ringed_parakeet

They mimic speech, so if we were to hang enough feeders above Q block they would quickly come and learn to sing the truth about John Terry. When we play the scum we could move the feeders above the school end and fill them with Bombay mix, they'd be shítting on the Chelsea as they go.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Budgie on 09:28 - Nov 14 with 3490 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Budgie?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Budgie on 09:31 - Nov 14 with 3477 viewsMick_S

Budgie on 09:28 - Nov 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Budgie?

Is there a parrot in here?

Budgie on 09:42 - Nov 14 with 3451 viewsenfieldargh

Budgie on 08:39 - Nov 14 by hubble

They're not parrots, they're parakeets. I've been observing their relentless spread across North West London for many years (as a bit of a naturalist). They're slowly driving out native birds as they do so... So the crows and thrushes and blackbirds probably need Nigel Birdcage to fly to their rescue...

I first saw them on Hampstead Heath about 20 years ago. They've only arrived in Queens Park in the last 5 years or so, and the very first flock to fly over the back of where I live was about 3 years ago. To my knowledge they;ve been in Richmond Park about 20 years as well. Didn't know they'd made it oop North though. I've spent a lot of time in Yorkshire in the last 5 years and never seen one there.

Loads all over Enfield, cant they shut the f up!!!!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Budgie on 09:45 - Nov 14 with 3443 viewsHantsR

Ring-necked parakeets. I even watched a flock fly over LR - t'was a bit more interesting than the game at the time.
Budgie on 09:45 - Nov 14 with 3441 viewscolinallcars

The flock of parakeets have been in Rchmond Park for as long as I can remember. The way I feel this morning makes that about 1926 !
Budgie on 09:46 - Nov 14 with 3433 viewsBlackCrowe

We've got loads in our garden (Kingston/Ham).

Rumours i've heard for their being here include - escaping during the filming of The African Queen at Shepperton Studios being the oldest and being blown of course whilst migrating in '87 storms.

Hope this helps...etc etc

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Budgie on 09:48 - Nov 14 with 3426 views2Thomas2Bowles

There were parakeets in Ravenscourt park in the late 70's.

Had some, about 30, in a park near London Bridge in the summer but not seen them lately.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Budgie on 09:49 - Nov 14 with 3423 viewsessextaxiboy

Budgie on 09:50 - Nov 14 with 3418 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Who admits owning one?

Budgie on 09:52 - Nov 14 with 3409 viewsBlackCrowe

The original Budgie was Chris Kelly of Leatherhead FC (anyone remember that cup game at Leicester?).

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Budgie on 09:54 - Nov 14 with 3406 viewsjohncharles

Loads at Warren Farm

Strong and stable my arse.

Budgie on 09:55 - Nov 14 with 3398 viewsMick_S

Budgie on 09:54 - Nov 14 by johncharles

Loads at Warren Farm

oh shit.

Budgie on 09:59 - Nov 14 with 3386 viewsheadhoops

Loads of them in Horsell (Woking) - grew up in Shepperton and recall as a kid being told they escaped from the studios. Strong rumour that they weren't the only escapee over the years. They do flock together and regularly have between 2-10 feasting in our Gordon Ramsey Bird Feeding area. sorry sounding like a twitcher.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Budgie on 10:05 - Nov 14 with 3376 viewsMick_S

Budgie on 09:50 - Nov 14 by WrightUp5hit___

Who admits owning one?

My dog has ears just like that collar.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2017 10:06]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024