Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Budgie 23:42 - Nov 13 with 8574 viewsBoston

I have just read that there is a flock of Budgie's numbering 7,000 strong making their home on the outskirts of South West London. I've never seen one in the err wild, probably can't make it past the fried chicken establishments of North West London.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Budgie on 10:06 - Nov 14 with 2827 viewsenfieldargh

Budgie on 09:50 - Nov 14 by WrightUp5hit___

Who admits owning one?

I bought that jacket from Gladstones in Willesden high road along with loads of flaired trousers and round collar shirts.

Was particularly fond of my Groucho Marx shirt

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Budgie on 10:08 - Nov 14 with 2827 viewsDorse

Probably all down to the popularity of Budgie Smugglers.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Budgie on 10:11 - Nov 14 with 2818 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Budgie on 10:05 - Nov 14 by Mick_S

My dog has ears just like that collar.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2017 10:06]

Highly desirable back in the day, but time moves on and we reflect upon the foolishness of our youth.
Budgie on 10:19 - Nov 14 with 2811 viewscolinallcars

Budgie on 10:11 - Nov 14 by WrightUp5hit___

Highly desirable back in the day, but time moves on and we reflect upon the foolishness of our youth.

I hear flares are coming back....
Budgie on 10:19 - Nov 14 with 2811 viewsPunteR

Budgie on 09:46 - Nov 14 by BlackCrowe

We've got loads in our garden (Kingston/Ham).

Rumours i've heard for their being here include - escaping during the filming of The African Queen at Shepperton Studios being the oldest and being blown of course whilst migrating in '87 storms.

Hope this helps...etc etc

Same theory as mine but replace Out of Africa with African Queen and Twickenham for Shepperton..
I couldnt quite remember so your probably right.
Im pretty sure Richmond park was the original breeding ground for them.
On the subject of birds anyone notice how aggressive they've been towards each other. Saw a few ravens attacking pigeons and kites attacking ravens this year. Proper fights involving 3-4 birds.
Hitchcock prediction.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Budgie on 10:29 - Nov 14 with 2795 viewsBlackCrowe

Budgie on 09:50 - Nov 14 by WrightUp5hit___

Who admits owning one?

Well if it's good enough for Basil....

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Budgie on 10:33 - Nov 14 with 2785 viewsheadhoops

Budgie on 10:19 - Nov 14 by PunteR

Same theory as mine but replace Out of Africa with African Queen and Twickenham for Shepperton..
I couldnt quite remember so your probably right.
Im pretty sure Richmond park was the original breeding ground for them.
On the subject of birds anyone notice how aggressive they've been towards each other. Saw a few ravens attacking pigeons and kites attacking ravens this year. Proper fights involving 3-4 birds.
Hitchcock prediction.

was definitely out of Africa.
agree on the fighting - jackdaws v magpies a regular kick off in our garden.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Budgie on 10:42 - Nov 14 with 2769 viewsPunteR

Budgie on 10:33 - Nov 14 by headhoops

Yeh saw a few of those tear ups as well.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Budgie on 10:44 - Nov 14 with 2762 viewsMick_S

Budgie on 10:33 - Nov 14 by headhoops

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Budgie on 10:47 - Nov 14 with 2754 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Budgie on 09:03 - Nov 14 by Mick_S

Who does he play for CCJ? My son played for Sandgate - it's a very, very strong league.

Anyway, millions of the buggers in Hillingdon and I once saw a peacock sitting on the roof of a house in Chalfont.

Here's me in my back garden.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2017 9:22]

He played for Chipstead until this season. They won the U18 Premier division last season with an under 17 team which was a good achievement. Sadly, they weren't able to play in the premier Elite division as Chipstead only run one U18 team in a midweek league. My son is playing for Coulsdon Colts this season in the same division. Funnily enough although he is 17 now the majority of the team are 16 again.

Sandgate are in the Division and we played there a few weeks ago.

Because a few of the teams are around that area I have met a few QPR fans over the years. One sits quite near me and I see him every now and then.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2017 10:50]
Budgie on 10:56 - Nov 14 with 2735 viewsPhildo

They are driving out a lot of native birds. A mate is a population biology/zoology academic and he told me a while ago they want to cull them but the question is how. They were looking at gassing them in their roosts but it obviously has not happened yet- probably because of money and also a lot of people will complain etc.
Budgie on 11:10 - Nov 14 with 2727 viewsBoston

I've heard, read that they're surviving, profilgating, but wasn't aware of the numbers. Never seen any myself though, seems like South West London and its abutting towns are the colonies main breeding area. Calling Alfred Hitchcock....

Budgie on 11:32 - Nov 14 with 2700 viewsBlackCrowe

I quite like them - though they bully the smaller birds and their appetite for sunflower hearts is insatiable.

Budgie on 11:59 - Nov 14 with 2681 viewsquickpassrotter

Budgie on 07:43 - Nov 14 by PunteR

One theory i heard about 20 years ago when they first started to appear in Richmond park was they escaped from Twickenham film studio, while they were filming scenes for Out of Africa.

PunterR - I heard that it goes back even further, to the early 50's when some escaped whilst shooting, actually the African Queen at Shepperton. They appeared to have survived a couple of cold winters - and went from there. They are all over Ealing. Noisy buggers. I also remember that flocks of them used to house themselves in the trees by the second pitch behind the main stand at Esher Rugby Club.
Budgie on 13:45 - Nov 14 with 2623 viewsHantsR

Budgie on 09:52 - Nov 14 by BlackCrowe

The original Budgie was Chris Kelly of Leatherhead FC (anyone remember that cup game at Leicester?).

Yep. Wasn't he the Leatherhead Lip?
Budgie on 13:50 - Nov 14 with 2620 viewsBlackCrowe

Budgie on 13:45 - Nov 14 by HantsR

Yep. Wasn't he the Leatherhead Lip?

He was indeed. I was a ballboy at Leatherhead during these 'glory' years.

Budgie on 14:00 - Nov 14 with 2616 viewsSimonJames

I was walking through a woods next to Ham Polo Club a few weeks back.
Very tall trees, quite eerie in the evening light, and the sound of the parakeets was absolutely deafening.
I'm guessing that is one of their main breeding grounds.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 17:43]

100% of people who drink water will die.

Budgie on 14:25 - Nov 14 with 2590 viewsBoston

Budgie on 10:56 - Nov 14 by Phildo

They are driving out a lot of native birds. A mate is a population biology/zoology academic and he told me a while ago they want to cull them but the question is how. They were looking at gassing them in their roosts but it obviously has not happened yet- probably because of money and also a lot of people will complain etc.

Come over 'ere taking our trees, our sunflower seeds....
[Post edited 14 Nov 2017 14:26]

Budgie on 17:25 - Nov 14 with 2507 viewshubble

Budgie on 10:56 - Nov 14 by Phildo

I actually emailed the RSPB about this last year, because of my concern for the native bird population, which is rapidly disappearing in NW London. Here is their wishy washy reply:

"Thank you for your email. Parakeets have been popular pets since the Victorian times, and inevitably, many birds have escaped or been deliberately released over the years. Despite their tropical origin, the parakeets are fully able to cope with the cold British winters, especially in suburban parks, large gardens, and orchards, where food supply is more reliable.

Despite good numbers of parakeets living in the wild for a long time, and apart from an isolated incidence in Norfolk in 1855, they only started to breed in 1969 in Kent, south-east of London. Since then the population has steadily increased, currently numbers over 5,000 individuals, and is still growing.

Even though Greater London and surrounding areas is still its stronghold, the species has been recorded in almost every county in England, and has reached Wales and the Scottish borders.

These colourful birds are sometimes loved and sometimes hated as garden visitors. There are concerns of how they may affect our native fauna, and of their impact on fruit-growers.

As yet, there has been no problem either way, but as their numbers increase, they may become a problem in the future. We will continue to monitor the situation and take appropriate action if needs be.

Despite being an introduced species, the ring-necked parakeet is protected in the wild under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. However, it may be killed or taken under the terms of some General Licences. It is illegal to release or allow them to escape into the wild."

Now firstly I call BS on those numbers, there are way more than 5000 of the buggers. Secondly, this continuing to monitor the situation basically means doing sweet FA about it.

Now I'd happily become a parakeet hunter. At a fiver a bird, I reckon I could make a decent living for a few months. I envisage carrying the colourful parakeets hanging from long poles, so the kids could see them and their parents would tell them, there goes the parakeet man, saving our native birds from the invading hordes. Nigel Faraday's Cage would no doubt be on it in a flash to congratulate me for my endeavour on behalf of the true British bird.
Budgie on 17:45 - Nov 14 with 2494 viewsBlackCrowe

Budgie on 17:25 - Nov 14 by hubble

I actually emailed the RSPB about this last year, because of my concern for the native bird population, which is rapidly disappearing in NW London. Here is their wishy washy reply:

"Thank you for your email. Parakeets have been popular pets since the Victorian times, and inevitably, many birds have escaped or been deliberately released over the years. Despite their tropical origin, the parakeets are fully able to cope with the cold British winters, especially in suburban parks, large gardens, and orchards, where food supply is more reliable.

Despite good numbers of parakeets living in the wild for a long time, and apart from an isolated incidence in Norfolk in 1855, they only started to breed in 1969 in Kent, south-east of London. Since then the population has steadily increased, currently numbers over 5,000 individuals, and is still growing.

Even though Greater London and surrounding areas is still its stronghold, the species has been recorded in almost every county in England, and has reached Wales and the Scottish borders.

These colourful birds are sometimes loved and sometimes hated as garden visitors. There are concerns of how they may affect our native fauna, and of their impact on fruit-growers.

As yet, there has been no problem either way, but as their numbers increase, they may become a problem in the future. We will continue to monitor the situation and take appropriate action if needs be.

Despite being an introduced species, the ring-necked parakeet is protected in the wild under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. However, it may be killed or taken under the terms of some General Licences. It is illegal to release or allow them to escape into the wild."

Now firstly I call BS on those numbers, there are way more than 5000 of the buggers. Secondly, this continuing to monitor the situation basically means doing sweet FA about it.

Now I'd happily become a parakeet hunter. At a fiver a bird, I reckon I could make a decent living for a few months. I envisage carrying the colourful parakeets hanging from long poles, so the kids could see them and their parents would tell them, there goes the parakeet man, saving our native birds from the invading hordes. Nigel Faraday's Cage would no doubt be on it in a flash to congratulate me for my endeavour on behalf of the true British bird.

Definitely call bullsh!t on that 5000 number

Budgie on 17:49 - Nov 14 with 2493 viewshubble

Budgie on 17:45 - Nov 14 by BlackCrowe

Definitely call bullsh!t on that 5000 number

And you of all people should know, Mr Crowe!
Budgie on 17:58 - Nov 14 with 2487 viewsBoston

I went straight to the expert.....my Mother.
She's not sure why, but the species she has been feeding for 50 years in her bird friendly Wembley back garden, are disappearing, rapidly so in the last four or five years.
She had blamed some of the neighbours.

Budgie on 18:02 - Nov 14 with 2485 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Budgie on 17:58 - Nov 14 by Boston

I went straight to the expert.....my Mother.
She's not sure why, but the species she has been feeding for 50 years in her bird friendly Wembley back garden, are disappearing, rapidly so in the last four or five years.
She had blamed some of the neighbours.

Why?
Are the neighbours providing better bird food? ;)
Budgie (n/t) on 18:44 - Nov 14 with 2462 viewsFredManRave

Budgie on 10:29 - Nov 14 by BlackCrowe

Well if it's good enough for Basil....

You wouldn't understand, dear. It's called style.

Great thread.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2017 18:49]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Budgie on 18:51 - Nov 14 with 2459 viewsBrightonhoop

Budgie on 17:25 - Nov 14 by hubble

haha the Figures may be out but without hard evidence of harmful ways and in such numbers causing havoc, not alot the RSPB can do. The recent escaped Lynx killing was justified on grounds of risks to humans and the livestock it was getting through, as well as beig very adept at avoiding re-capture.
Interesting they considering harm to fruit growers above those of native bird species. Which suggests further the natives are having none of it. And aren't impacted.
Besides which the Starlings will do 'em 8 days a week.
There's a load in or near Windsor Great Park, the urban myth was a load of the Queens collection escaped and you weren't allowed to touch them, same as the swans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024