Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? 14:58 - Nov 17 with 6062 viewsDylanP

Which players have looked like they would take on the world when they left to join a more glamorous club, but never amounted to much elsewhere?

I'll start with a couple of obvious ones:

1. Charlie Austin -- went from scoring 19 n the Prem, to being a bench warmer.
2. Adel Taarabt -- What a waste!

Who else?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 15:14 - Nov 17 with 3926 viewsEsox_Lucius

Loic Remy. Dean Parrett.

The grass is always greener.

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 15:33 - Nov 17 with 3897 viewspaulparker

Andy Sinton

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 15:36 - Nov 17 with 3894 viewstoboboly

Sampsa Timoska

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 15:42 - Nov 17 with 3890 viewsMrSheen

False premise. There is no more glamorous club. Nigel Quashie.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 15:55 - Nov 17 with 3858 viewsNorthernr

Not a world beater but I really liked Ollie Burgess when he came through.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 16:21 - Nov 17 with 3832 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Mark Dennis

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 16:47 - Nov 17 with 3802 viewsbosh67

Quashie is about the best example. Did okay at Pompey but I think if he had been around now he would have been a top top player.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 16:55 - Nov 17 with 3793 viewsMrSheen

Soooooo tempted to say Raheem Sterling, but he's got his act together somewhat this season.

Might have said Lee Cook, but Dylan specified "more glamorous".
Login to get fewer ads

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 17:33 - Nov 17 with 3779 viewsBoston

Stan Bowles.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 17:37 - Nov 17 with 3775 viewsnix

I always thought Mark Kennedy was going to be brilliant after a short loan spell for us. He had a decent career but never really hit the heights.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 17:52 - Nov 17 with 3759 viewscolinallcars

Norman "golden boy" Golding. Blimey that's going back aways !
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 17:55 - Nov 17 with 3747 viewsloftboy

Danny Dichio

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 19:04 - Nov 17 with 3710 viewsLongsufferingR

If you count world class goals, then Jimmy Smith. 2 or 3 crackers at first then slowly slipped down the leagues.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 19:33 - Nov 17 with 3680 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Some great calls here.

I'm going to add Paul Parker, though it wasn't his fault.

Only Rangers fans know just how brilliant he was at centre-back for us every single match. Bobby Robson, in fairness, realised his potential but played him out of position at right wing-back. Even so he was one of England's best players in the '90 World Cup. Taylor and Venables had a look but both picked other fullbacks in time. Neither tried him at centre-back if I remember rightly. He ended up with a meagre nineteen caps.

When he moved to Man Utd. in '91 we all knew it would be to play right-back, and it was. And we all knew that would limit his enormous potential. He was 27, coming into his prime, yet he would play only 105 games in five years at the club. Out of position.

He had everything. He only played 404 games and 19 times for England. Only those of us who saw him every week know what a criminal waste that sentence represents.

Thanks Ferguson, Taylor and Venables. Thanks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 19:48 - Nov 17 with 3671 viewsNorthernr

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 19:33 - Nov 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Some great calls here.

I'm going to add Paul Parker, though it wasn't his fault.

Only Rangers fans know just how brilliant he was at centre-back for us every single match. Bobby Robson, in fairness, realised his potential but played him out of position at right wing-back. Even so he was one of England's best players in the '90 World Cup. Taylor and Venables had a look but both picked other fullbacks in time. Neither tried him at centre-back if I remember rightly. He ended up with a meagre nineteen caps.

When he moved to Man Utd. in '91 we all knew it would be to play right-back, and it was. And we all knew that would limit his enormous potential. He was 27, coming into his prime, yet he would play only 105 games in five years at the club. Out of position.

He had everything. He only played 404 games and 19 times for England. Only those of us who saw him every week know what a criminal waste that sentence represents.

Thanks Ferguson, Taylor and Venables. Thanks.

Great post Brian. Separate thread probably but players who have been wasted by persistently being played out of position is a good one.

Listened to an interview with Matt Jackson today about the day he was substituted after 28 minutes of being torn apart by Andy Sinton in our 5-3 at Goodison Park. Said he was never a right back, played there for Luton for nine games as cover and happened to get spotted by Everton doing it, signed as a right back having never really played there and was slung into the Premier League there. All Howard Kendall did was scream at him and take the pis. There was no analysis, no coaching, no tips. Destroyed his love for the game. He subsequently came back to the Prem, and did very well, as a centre back at Wigan much later on.

We've had loads lately - Vargas playing on the wing so we could lump it to Zamora. Isla signed to play wing back then forced into a back four after a game. Richard Dunne asked to play left of a back three. The constant nonsense about where to put Ngbakoto.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:09 - Nov 17 with 3656 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 19:48 - Nov 17 by Northernr

Great post Brian. Separate thread probably but players who have been wasted by persistently being played out of position is a good one.

Listened to an interview with Matt Jackson today about the day he was substituted after 28 minutes of being torn apart by Andy Sinton in our 5-3 at Goodison Park. Said he was never a right back, played there for Luton for nine games as cover and happened to get spotted by Everton doing it, signed as a right back having never really played there and was slung into the Premier League there. All Howard Kendall did was scream at him and take the pis. There was no analysis, no coaching, no tips. Destroyed his love for the game. He subsequently came back to the Prem, and did very well, as a centre back at Wigan much later on.

We've had loads lately - Vargas playing on the wing so we could lump it to Zamora. Isla signed to play wing back then forced into a back four after a game. Richard Dunne asked to play left of a back three. The constant nonsense about where to put Ngbakoto.

Funny you should mention Howard Kendall soon after Paul Parker's name came up.

When Parker was up for grabs in '91 it was rumoured that Everton were interested. Just rumoured. The reaction from the fans was...let's say...interesting. The fans needn't have worried - Howard Kendall was manager and.... well, it wasn't going to happen...we'll save that for my next trip to the C&S.

Sorry, folks, but I don't want to get the site in trouble. I'm sure you can all read between the lines.

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:17 - Nov 17 with 3646 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 19:48 - Nov 17 by Northernr

Back to the point. Matt Jackson was a lovely footballer. Always thought he had huge potential. As well as the physical attributes he could really read a game, knew how to stop trouble before it started and could use the ball when he had it. But you're so right that that move killed him. I always thought that he got no coaching or inspiration. Your post makes it clear.

Ferguson signed Pallister who was a very similar player as a teenager and you could see how he progressed through coaching. What's more, Ferguson haunted him after training each day sending him to the gym to build strength so that Pallister won the ball he needed to. Jackson seemed to never have that connection or inspiration in his career, I would always contend that no-one should have to coach a player to be the fastest, fittest, strongest they should be and that that is on their own shoulders but we all know enough about life to realise that every one of us - surveyor like me or footballer like them - benefits from help and coaching and suffers without it.

(Awaits surveying classmate to mention college pub sessions etc etc)

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:18 - Nov 17 with 3642 viewsNorthernr

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:09 - Nov 17 by BrianMcCarthy

When Parker was up for grabs in '91 it was rumoured that Everton were interested. Just rumoured. The reaction from the fans was...let's say...interesting. The fans needn't have worried - Howard Kendall was manager and.... well, it wasn't going to happen...we'll save that for my next trip to the C&S.

Sorry, folks, but I don't want to get the site in trouble. I'm sure you can all read between the lines.

No great secret what you’re alluding to there. Les always said he took extra special pleasure scoring at Goodison...

Look up The Match Podcast Brian, the Matt Jackson one this week is v good, your sort of thing.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:25 - Nov 17 with 3630 viewseasthertsr

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:09 - Nov 17 by BrianMcCarthy

When Kendall took over at Sheffield. United a certain category of players were shown the door. I'm sure you can guess the category!
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:27 - Nov 17 with 3625 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:18 - Nov 17 by Northernr

No great secret what you’re alluding to there. Les always said he took extra special pleasure scoring at Goodison...

Look up The Match Podcast Brian, the Matt Jackson one this week is v good, your sort of thing.

Will do, Clive. Thanks for the recommendation.

There's a Dion Dublin-Howard Kendall story as well that has to be heard to be believed.

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:28 - Nov 17 with 3624 viewseasthertsr

I know he wasn't a world beater but that afternoon against Arsenal Diakite looked like one of the best midfielders in the country.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:56 - Nov 17 with 3594 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:28 - Nov 17 by easthertsr

I know he wasn't a world beater but that afternoon against Arsenal Diakite looked like one of the best midfielders in the country.

He really did.

Quashie is the one, though, as Sheen and Bosh pointed out.

When a gang of the QPR Yoof Mob (not the Burberry clowns, I mean the anorak crowd who used to watch South-East Counties games) hesitatingly pointed out to our manager Des Bulpin that Quashie was only 15 and underage (don't worry, we left it until we had the league wrapped up) he was genuinely nonplussed, so mature was our Nigel, no-one had seemed to notice.

One of our lads, Keith, used to regularly hum the tune "we're only making plans for Nigel". And we were. As a club. We never argued about whether he'd make it. Few made it, and we knew that. But he would. And he'd make it big. Why not? He had it all. Baseball talks bout the five tools necessary to excel in their game, football must have twenty. He had them all, perhaps bar speed. As Bosh says, that wouldn't have hampered him today. In truth, it didn't hamper him then. He was lightning up top.

What we argued about was what kind of player he would become. He reminded Keith of Ince, me of Brooking, Alan Barnes of God.

He made his breakthrough in '95. It was years in coming. He was 17. He was instant magic. A player you could dream on. Again, I thought about Brooking. He would run the show for you. Maybe you'd have to get the ball for him, though. It's not that he couldn't tackle, as any player who riled him would tell you, but you had the sense that he believed that tacking was something someone else did before he'd show for the ball and the pitch would open. There was the goal against Chelsea, there was effortless game management, there was...a player you could dream on...

I moved home to Ireland in the Summer of '96. On one of the many trips back I brought a non-Rangers friend to see us host West Brom. I'll never forget that game. It's one of my ten favourite games. Quashie ran the show. If you whisked the grass out as if by magic and replaced by ice it would not have stirred his serenity. The dream was real. He'd arrived.

I have no idea what happened to him afterwards. I don't want to know. That moment was utterly beautiful and I will remember it as long as I remember my name.

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 21:35 - Nov 17 with 3548 viewsLongsufferingR

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:27 - Nov 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Will do, Clive. Thanks for the recommendation.

There's a Dion Dublin-Howard Kendall story as well that has to be heard to be believed.

Got me intrigued Brian but just googled and all I can find between the two of them is that Kendall left Everton when the club refused to let him sign Dublin. Dublin also tweeted when he died that he would have loved to play for him, so I'd love to know what the story is!

I'll keep digging.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 21:51 - Nov 17 with 3528 viewsLazyFan

Roy Wegerle
Lots of goals for us and ghosted past people like they were not there. Including tearing Adams a new one repeatedly in that FA Cup game.

I also saw him take on people dribble past them from his own box, taking massive risks and getting away with it. And of course the Leeds goal.

Never was quite the same when Gerry was forced to sell him to fund a rebuilding job of the team and the stadium fixes.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 22:04 - Nov 17 with 3508 viewsdistortR

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:18 - Nov 17 by Northernr

Love Everton, had a really nice experience in the White Horse with a group of them looking for retribution for what happened to them the year before. Think it was the game where they were singing "We are white" and then Devon White punched in the winner. Laugh? Hell yeah!! I heard that Parker got a lot of post from their fans when that move was mooted.

[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 22:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024