Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Substitutes 17:51 - Nov 18 with 4061 viewsVancouverHoop

Why are almost all managers so predictable when it comes to substitutions?

Unless there's a serious injury they almost all make two subs for tactical reasons between 60' & 70', and save one for late on to waste time (if leading) or out of desperation (if losing.)

Today Olly had clearly decided he'd sub Luongo for Manning at HT, as the former would be jet lagged and needed on Tuesday. Fair enough. But why wait until the 63' when we'd conceded the second goal, to take off Cousins? He'd played well enough until he got a knock midway through the first half, after that he ceased to be a factor which gave Villa's speedy forwards the run of our right side. Why hang him, and Baptiste who was vainly trying to cover for him, out to dry when there were three possible subs for his position on the bench?

I'm not digging out Holloway here, as I say it seems to be hard-wired lack of managerial creativity throughout the game. Or perhaps I'm missing something...?
Substitutes on 17:06 - Nov 20 with 750 viewsVancouverHoop

Substitutes on 02:31 - Nov 20 by timcocking

Well, they only have three they can make. One sub, will be a goalie, another two defenders. That means there are probably 4 players, two strikers two attacking mids. Substituition before half time and you've lost the squad. After 80 minutes a waste of time probably. So the only thing there is to do is make two subs between 55 and 80 minutes, the losing team bringing on an extra striker or attacking mid. So there isn't really anything else to do.

I disagree. A manager should surely deploy his players – including subs – to the team's best advantage irrespective of the clock. That doesn't mean change for the sake of it, and I'd agree most times it's better to hold on to your cards as long as possible. But there are occasions, besides an incapacitating injury, when an early change is required. Saturday, I think, was one of those times.

Cousins was a effectively a passenger after he got injured, he couldn't cover the necessary ground. The balance of play tilted in Villa's favour after that. It probably wouldn't have done so, at least as quickly, if he'd been taken off. Yesterday I watched Schalke v Hamburg. Hamburg had a young kid in midfield. You could see he had a lot to offer going forward, but his defensive play was dreadful. Clutching, grabbing, always behind his man. He got a yellow, around half-an-hour. Five minutes later his coach took him off. I was reminded of Samba Diakite's first match against Fulham, he was kicking everything that moved except the ball. Got a card at around 20 minutes, and you just knew he'd get another before half-time unless he was subbed. Sure enough, Mark Hughes – unlike Hamburg's manager – just stood and watched it happen.

I'm not especially down on Holloway. Certainly he did, or didn't do, what the majority of managers would have done but, IMHO, they'd be wrong. Given the way the match was going there was no rational reason to keep a below par player on the pitch, doing so was just conventional, reflexive thinking.
Substitutes on 00:03 - Nov 21 with 716 viewstimcocking

Substitutes on 19:02 - Nov 19 by oldmisery

In any given season you would hope/expect goals to be scored from all areas of the pitch.

You may think the midfielders should score, say, 20 goals between them over the season and the central defenders to get perhaps 10 - 12 over the same period.

So far this season Freeman (2) Luongo (1) and Scowen (0) have 3 between them in a combined 51 appearances. The Centre Backs fare even worse with no goals coming from either Baptiste, Lynch, Robinson and The Chief in a combined 43 appearances.

I don't know the answer but that is surely part of the problem.

One excellent midfielder can get that many, one goal scoring defender can get that many.

We've had a squad of players who rarely score for years. It's a fairly useful attribute in football scoring goals!
Substitutes on 00:05 - Nov 21 with 716 viewstimcocking

Substitutes on 13:47 - Nov 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think he's the best player in the squad personally.

I Just trying to say different people see him very differently and neither side can understand where the other is coming from.

[Post edited 19 Nov 2017 16:39]

No, it's simply that some people on here have not played enough competitive football to have a full understanding of the game and don't realise it.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 0:12]
Substitutes on 00:07 - Nov 21 with 715 viewstimcocking

Substitutes on 17:06 - Nov 20 by VancouverHoop

I disagree. A manager should surely deploy his players – including subs – to the team's best advantage irrespective of the clock. That doesn't mean change for the sake of it, and I'd agree most times it's better to hold on to your cards as long as possible. But there are occasions, besides an incapacitating injury, when an early change is required. Saturday, I think, was one of those times.

Cousins was a effectively a passenger after he got injured, he couldn't cover the necessary ground. The balance of play tilted in Villa's favour after that. It probably wouldn't have done so, at least as quickly, if he'd been taken off. Yesterday I watched Schalke v Hamburg. Hamburg had a young kid in midfield. You could see he had a lot to offer going forward, but his defensive play was dreadful. Clutching, grabbing, always behind his man. He got a yellow, around half-an-hour. Five minutes later his coach took him off. I was reminded of Samba Diakite's first match against Fulham, he was kicking everything that moved except the ball. Got a card at around 20 minutes, and you just knew he'd get another before half-time unless he was subbed. Sure enough, Mark Hughes – unlike Hamburg's manager – just stood and watched it happen.

I'm not especially down on Holloway. Certainly he did, or didn't do, what the majority of managers would have done but, IMHO, they'd be wrong. Given the way the match was going there was no rational reason to keep a below par player on the pitch, doing so was just conventional, reflexive thinking.

I didn't mean to disagree, i wasn't. I like a manager who'll make a change when it's needed. Just explaining why 9 times out of ten it's really the only option.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024