Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was Holloway thinking.... 19:04 - Nov 18 with 4833 viewsBostonR

Playing Bapiste at right-back? He got ripped apart for most of the game. He has been solid at CB and it was no surprise to see Lynch have an absolute nightmare of a game without the dependable Bapiste long side him. Also why play Matt Smith up front when there was no real effort to get wide and play the crosses that he feeds on. So frustrating from Holloway today as there was no reason to lose that game today although Villa did play with twelve men. The ref was inept and clueless.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 15:22 - Nov 20 with 974 viewskensalriser

Be nice to pick up some away points soon otherwise we'll be slip sliding our way into 2018.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

What was Holloway thinking.... on 16:05 - Nov 20 with 939 viewsrrrspricey

I think the issue is Ollie trying to shoehorn players into a system. Baptiste just doesn't have the pace to play on the right of a back 3. Either A) pick someone else in Robinson's role who has the pace to get back/cover Baptiste or B) play a 433 and give the team a bit more (or just any) width.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 17:19 - Nov 20 with 880 viewsPinnerPaul

What was Holloway thinking.... on 21:08 - Nov 18 by BushRanger82

What was Holloway thinking?
I've asked myself that question many a time, and will do a good few more times before his time's up, I'll wager.

Didn't think to ask that or come on here after Wolves and Sheff Utd though?
What was Holloway thinking.... on 19:24 - Nov 20 with 827 viewsRoller

I've just been reading this thread (and others) through with a wry smile on my face, especially the comments about Holloway always playing people out of position. Except for a couple of matches under Ramsey, he is our first manager to play Luongo in his correct position. His 3-5-2 system has been designed to get our best three players in their correct positions as well as the two strikers on the pitch that some believe is so essential.

Swapping to 4-4-2 will sacrifice the compactness of the partnership which has given us the most hope this season while 4-3-3 will inevitably result in them having to spend more time covering from side to side rather than focusing on pressing up the pitch. Every formation has a downside.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 21:06 - Nov 20 with 790 viewsHunterhoop

What was Holloway thinking.... on 19:24 - Nov 20 by Roller

I've just been reading this thread (and others) through with a wry smile on my face, especially the comments about Holloway always playing people out of position. Except for a couple of matches under Ramsey, he is our first manager to play Luongo in his correct position. His 3-5-2 system has been designed to get our best three players in their correct positions as well as the two strikers on the pitch that some believe is so essential.

Swapping to 4-4-2 will sacrifice the compactness of the partnership which has given us the most hope this season while 4-3-3 will inevitably result in them having to spend more time covering from side to side rather than focusing on pressing up the pitch. Every formation has a downside.

352 works if you have the balls to play wingers at wing back, and quick centre halves.

We don't have the latter and Holloway (presumably for that reason) doesn't have the balls to play wingers at wing back.

Victor Moses was a wing back in Premiership against all that attacking talent. We're playing Bidwell and a central midfielder fresh back from long term injury.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 07:23 - Nov 21 with 724 viewsRoller

What was Holloway thinking.... on 21:06 - Nov 20 by Hunterhoop

352 works if you have the balls to play wingers at wing back, and quick centre halves.

We don't have the latter and Holloway (presumably for that reason) doesn't have the balls to play wingers at wing back.

Victor Moses was a wing back in Premiership against all that attacking talent. We're playing Bidwell and a central midfielder fresh back from long term injury.

Ideally yes, but to play 4-3-3 we would ideally have a number 9 who can retain possession and bring other players into the game and to play 4-4-2 we have to break up our midfield trio to some degree - every formation has its downside.

There seems to be a lot of expectation being heaped onto Furlong's shoulders, I'm already fearing for our latest saviour.

If we do go to 4-3-3 I'd like to see Shodipo brought back into the fold and played upfront on the left, with Wheeler on the right. I think that there is more chance of those two getting in towards the back post when the ball is on the other side of the pitch, otherwise Sylla would get very isolated.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 10:42 - Nov 21 with 674 viewsdaveB

What was Holloway thinking.... on 21:06 - Nov 20 by Hunterhoop

In fairness to Holloway he was playing Pawel as a wing back for a while but it wasn't really working so has given Cousins and Wheeler a go in recent weeks.

I think having seen how open we were at times last season and how many times Smithies was having to face 1 on 1's He's gone this season with a more solid base, the system still has issues but we're a lot less kamikaze than we were last season. That has meant we've had to sacrifice the width of the team a bit. I don't think there is an easy answer to this, switching to a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-4-1 could work but also leaves the central defenders without the spare defender and the bit of insurance they sometimes need and also leaves the centre forward isolated.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024