Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... 11:22 - Nov 20 with 4938 viewshubble

...who knew? And now scientists think this minuscule slowing of the earth's rotation is related to increased earthquake activity. Fascinating article - as are some of the comments beneath it, for example:

"I'm still getting over the discovery last month that gold and platinum are only produced in the catastrophic collisions of two neutron stars (apparently around six or so solid Earth's worth of gold each time it happens)."

And:

"While we're on the subject - when white dwarf stars cool down, their carbon crystallizes into Earth-sized diamonds"

But the question is, *why* does it slow down periodically? Does anyone on here know?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/18/2018-set-to-be-year-of-big-earthqu

(edit - the link didn't work)
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 11:46]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 08:48 - Nov 21 with 1274 viewsWokingR

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 19:36 - Nov 20 by kensalriser

Sounds like a right load of old bollocks you dreamed up to support your bonkers opinions.

Yep, it's nothing like that complicated.
It's Gemma Collins fault and the ever increasing number of lazy fat dollops dragging us all down.
The earth is simply struggling with the extra weight.
The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 10:41 - Nov 21 with 1251 viewsTheBlob

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 08:48 - Nov 21 by WokingR

Yep, it's nothing like that complicated.
It's Gemma Collins fault and the ever increasing number of lazy fat dollops dragging us all down.
The earth is simply struggling with the extra weight.

This is of course true.
If the population doubles every 50 years then in 10,000 years the total weight of human flesh could equal (and exceed) the weight of the entire Universe.
I got that from Dr. Isaac Asimov at a book fair.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 12:33 - Nov 21 with 1231 viewsMick_S

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 21:35 - Nov 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

'Climate change is a trot feminist Momentum conspiracy, and Luongo is shite as well. Get rid'

Just fancied posting this.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 13:30 - Nov 21 with 1212 viewsR_from_afar

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 19:45 - Nov 20 by TheBlob

Harnessing the tides will slow down the rotation infinitessimally.
Dark matter may be the problem.
Or Bake Off.

Hi Blob, you made me climb out of my pram

That is a myth according to David MacKay FRS, Regius Professor of Engineering at the University of Cambridge and former Chief Scientific Advisor to the Department of Energy and Climate Change.

https://www.withouthotair.com/c14/page_87.shtml

While I am here, the only reason the earth has regular seasons is because of the presence of the moon. Without it, the earth would have a random spin.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 13:38 - Nov 21 with 1203 viewsTheBlob

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 13:30 - Nov 21 by R_from_afar

That is a myth according to David MacKay FRS, Regius Professor of Engineering at the University of Cambridge and former Chief Scientific Advisor to the Department of Energy and Climate Change.

While I am here, the only reason the earth has regular seasons is because of the presence of the moon. Without it, the earth would have a random spin.

RFA

Oh dear RFA,you used Climate Change and Myth in the same sentence again.

Collapse of stout party.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 15:03 - Nov 21 with 1178 viewskensalriser

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 13:30 - Nov 21 by R_from_afar

RFA

Surely the earth's rotation is what causes day and night.

It's the tilt on the axis that causes seasons.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 15:08 - Nov 21 with 1174 viewsBoston

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 11:43 - Nov 20 by Mick_S

Are there another 403 problems? Maybe even more?

There was a scientist(bit vague ) on the BBC the other day explaining how the gold and platinum came to earth - science is bonkers!

David Bowie just fell here.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 15:11 - Nov 21 with 1172 viewsBoston

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:34 - Nov 20 by PunteR

Maybe these are facing the wrong way...

Triffids!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 13:18 - Nov 22 with 1108 viewsR_from_afar

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 15:03 - Nov 21 by kensalriser

Surely the earth's rotation is what causes day and night.

It's the tilt on the axis that causes seasons.

I'm no expert on this - hah you guessed - but without the moon to control its rotation on its axis, the earth would spin randomly, whilst still travelling round the sun. Not ideal. For planets to have a reasonable chance of being habitable, they need to have a decent sized moon.

God bless the moon!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 14:59 - Nov 22 with 1085 viewskensalriser

Is the moon flat as well as the Earth?

I know what you're going to say - it looks round. But how do you know it's not just a flat disc?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 23:38 - Nov 22 with 1051 viewsPunteR

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 14:59 - Nov 22 by kensalriser

Is the moon flat as well as the Earth?

I know what you're going to say - it looks round. But how do you know it's not just a flat disc?

or made of cheese

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024