Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... 11:22 - Nov 20 with 4937 viewshubble

...who knew? And now scientists think this minuscule slowing of the earth's rotation is related to increased earthquake activity. Fascinating article - as are some of the comments beneath it, for example:

"I'm still getting over the discovery last month that gold and platinum are only produced in the catastrophic collisions of two neutron stars (apparently around six or so solid Earth's worth of gold each time it happens)."

And:

"While we're on the subject - when white dwarf stars cool down, their carbon crystallizes into Earth-sized diamonds"

But the question is, *why* does it slow down periodically? Does anyone on here know?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/18/2018-set-to-be-year-of-big-earthqu

(edit - the link didn't work)
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 11:46]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 11:37 - Nov 20 with 3629 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Maybe it's tired. It is Monday, after all.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 11:39 - Nov 20 with 3627 viewsisawqpratwcity

Page not found.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 11:43 - Nov 20 with 3610 viewsMick_S

Are there another 403 problems? Maybe even more?

There was a scientist(bit vague ) on the BBC the other day explaining how the gold and platinum came to earth - science is bonkers!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 11:44 - Nov 20 with 3607 viewsW7Ranger

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/18/2018-set-to-be-year-of-big-earthqu
The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 12:24 - Nov 20 with 3553 viewsisawqpratwcity

Here's an excellent article about the Earth's rotation...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-rotation-summer-solstice/

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 12:56 - Nov 20 with 3508 viewshubble

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 12:24 - Nov 20 by isawqpratwcity

Here's an excellent article about the Earth's rotation...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-rotation-summer-solstice/

That is an excellent, fascinating article - but it doesn't explain why the earth's rotation slows down periodically and why there are variations in speed.

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 13:07 - Nov 20 with 3490 viewsLythamR

only an educated guess but it could be to do with the gravitation forces within the solar system and their varying positions
The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 13:22 - Nov 20 with 3461 viewskensalriser

Don't fall for all that fake news and MSM bull. They're lying to us. The earth is flat, folks.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/19/the-earth-may-not-be-flat-

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 14:10 - Nov 20 with 3413 viewsTheBlob

The batteries need replacing.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 16:29 - Nov 20 with 3330 viewshubble

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 13:07 - Nov 20 by LythamR

only an educated guess but it could be to do with the gravitation forces within the solar system and their varying positions

That's an interesting theory mate. Can't quite see it though, given that the other massive bodies in the solar system are in constant motion, would that lead to a periodic slowing? Maybe. I wonder if the gravitational pull from the sun varies? Anyone got a clue about this?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 16:32 - Nov 20 with 3326 viewshubble

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 13:22 - Nov 20 by kensalriser

Don't fall for all that fake news and MSM bull. They're lying to us. The earth is flat, folks.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/19/the-earth-may-not-be-flat-

Haha, funny - but, believe it or not, I know people who are convinced the earth is flat and that the 'spinning globe theory' as they call it, is a massive lie. And trust me, I've really been there with proofs that I consider irrefutable, but they always have some arcane supposedly scientific reason for believing that's not the case. Very difficult (with the emphasis on cult) people to reason with.

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 16:46 - Nov 20 with 3311 viewsPunteR

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 11:43 - Nov 20 by Mick_S

Are there another 403 problems? Maybe even more?

There was a scientist(bit vague ) on the BBC the other day explaining how the gold and platinum came to earth - science is bonkers!

I think im right in saying that the human body has gold and platinum within its molecular structure.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 16:54 - Nov 20 with 3300 viewshubble

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 16:46 - Nov 20 by PunteR

I think im right in saying that the human body has gold and platinum within its molecular structure.

An average 70 kilogram human contains 0.229 milligrams of gold (most of it's in our blood). I don't think we have naturally occurring platinum though.

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:09 - Nov 20 with 3292 viewsPunteR

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 16:54 - Nov 20 by hubble

An average 70 kilogram human contains 0.229 milligrams of gold (most of it's in our blood). I don't think we have naturally occurring platinum though.

yeh possibly.
Its always fascinated me that chemicals , molecules that are found in space are here on earth and that the human body is made up of the same chemicals, molecules etc.
But then that would make sense if there was a big bang that started it all.
Im not saying there isnt a god btw , as i think you need some sort of energy to start the whole thing in the first place..

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:10 - Nov 20 with 3291 viewshopphoops

Last time it happened Cantona used the extra minutes to equalise

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:20 - Nov 20 with 3275 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Great news for me, I'm always telling the missus that a minute is longer than she thinks.
The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:22 - Nov 20 with 3273 viewsPunteR

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:20 - Nov 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

Great news for me, I'm always telling the missus that a minute is longer than she thinks.

a minute or an inch?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:25 - Nov 20 with 3268 viewsLythamR

IF you get a scenario where a number of the larger objects in the solar system are our side of the sun and effectively outside us then there must in theory be some effect and the whole solar system is whizzing through space getting closer to or further away from celestial objects beyond the solar system.

Given all of that it would be surprisng to me if the earth rotated at an absolutely constant speed. We have really only been able to measure super accurately for a relatively short period of time. I am sure if we were able to see measurements with the same level of accuracy back in time the results would be all over the place especially considering the effect of the moon whos orbital distance has increased considerably in the earths lifetime
The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:29 - Nov 20 with 3265 viewsstevec

I read something a few months ago where scientists were concerned that the gravitational pull from the moon was weakening such that the moon was moving a few feet away from the Earth every year.

They fear that another of those 'life saving' green initiatives, that of harnessing wave power, was a likely cause of this.

The saying 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions' should become a mantra for the worlds population before these fckin basket case, pinko greens save the fckin polar bear and condemn the rest of us to oblivion.
The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:34 - Nov 20 with 3259 viewsPunteR

Maybe these are facing the wrong way...

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:36 - Nov 20 with 3257 viewsjohann28

It's to do with the moon and the tides. As Earth rotates, the moon's gravity of course causes the oceans to seem to rise & fall (the Sun also does this, but not a much) . What happens is that there is a tiny bit of friction between the tides and the turning Earth, causing the rotation to slow down a little periodically.
The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 19:36 - Nov 20 with 3192 viewskensalriser

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 17:29 - Nov 20 by stevec

I read something a few months ago where scientists were concerned that the gravitational pull from the moon was weakening such that the moon was moving a few feet away from the Earth every year.

They fear that another of those 'life saving' green initiatives, that of harnessing wave power, was a likely cause of this.

The saying 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions' should become a mantra for the worlds population before these fckin basket case, pinko greens save the fckin polar bear and condemn the rest of us to oblivion.

Sounds like a right load of old bollocks you dreamed up to support your bonkers opinions.

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 19:45 - Nov 20 with 3185 viewsTheBlob

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 19:36 - Nov 20 by kensalriser

Sounds like a right load of old bollocks you dreamed up to support your bonkers opinions.

Harnessing the tides will slow down the rotation infinitessimally.
Dark matter may be the problem.
Or Bake Off.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 21:35 - Nov 20 with 3134 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 19:36 - Nov 20 by kensalriser

'Climate change is a trot feminist Momentum conspiracy, and Luongo is shite as well. Get rid'

The earth's rotation slows down (minutely) at times, apparently.... on 01:04 - Nov 21 with 3064 viewskensalriser

You've got mixed up there Bazza.

Pollution is causing people to turn transgender.

Personally I'm taking it as a positive that nutty Nige may actually be acknowledging that pollution is a problem. Possibly the only marble he's still hanging on to, though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024