Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could Gerry return? 15:32 - Nov 20 with 2776 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ollie makes no secret of his love for Gerry Francis, and it seems both he and Les have tried to get him back to the club in recent years, but have failed because of GF's loyalty to Pulis. Now Pulis is sacked, he'll probably have a rest for a bit, could they try again? Trouble is, his specialty is the defence and I think that Fleming's domain.

Bare bones.

Could Gerry return? on 15:37 - Nov 20 with 2762 viewsPunteR

Cant see it happening. I cant see the earths rotation slowing down either though.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Could Gerry return? on 15:38 - Nov 20 with 2755 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Was thinking the same this morning. Would love if they could work something out that would suit everyone. Well, suit us!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Could Gerry return? on 15:45 - Nov 20 with 2727 viewsrrrspricey

Need to get in quick imo, Pulis won't be out of work for long
Could Gerry return? on 16:15 - Nov 20 with 2640 viewscolinallcars

It would he nice but the club is looking at cutting the wage bill not taking on more.
Could Gerry return? on 16:35 - Nov 20 with 2581 viewsTacticalR

I am sure exceptions can be made if candidates of outstanding ability become available. If not the position can be crowdfunded.

Air hostess clique

Could Gerry return? on 17:03 - Nov 20 with 2511 viewsJuzzie

Could Gerry return? on 15:45 - Nov 20 by rrrspricey

Need to get in quick imo, Pulis won't be out of work for long

I bet he ends up as the new Wales manager.
Could Gerry return? on 17:11 - Nov 20 with 2498 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Could Gerry return? on 21:19 - Nov 20 with 2212 viewsrsonist

Sentiment aside I really do think this would be just the tonic for us.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/582709/Gerry-Francis-Invisible-Man-West

The way Gerry describes his role as distanced advisor here is exactly what the current set up lacks - and he's probably the only person Ollie would accept in the position. Birch and Fleming amplify the message but don't inform it in any new way either - hence us going on these long runs of form doing the same good and bad things for too long.
Login to get fewer ads

Could Gerry return? on 21:31 - Nov 20 with 2176 viewsbosh67

No. Much as he has been loved here. no.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Could Gerry return? on 23:56 - Nov 20 with 2041 viewstimcocking

I'd always love Gerry back.
Could Gerry return? on 08:49 - Nov 21 with 1883 viewsfrancisbowles

Could Gerry return? on 21:31 - Nov 20 by bosh67

What could be wrong with having a QPR man with his experience sitting in the stand advising the manager?

If Ollie and his staff are ok with it and we can stretch the budget, then bring him in before the others get him.
Could Gerry return? on 08:56 - Nov 21 with 1872 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Could Gerry return? on 08:49 - Nov 21 by francisbowles

What could be wrong with having a QPR man with his experience sitting in the stand advising the manager?

If Ollie and his staff are ok with it and we can stretch the budget, then bring him in before the others get him.

Agree completely. I think this is unlikely to happen as he and Pullis will be in demand, but if it was possible, was affordable and the chemistry was right then it could only be good for us.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Could Gerry return? on 08:59 - Nov 21 with 1865 viewsloftinoz

Could Gerry return? on 08:56 - Nov 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Agree completely. I think this is unlikely to happen as he and Pullis will be in demand, but if it was possible, was affordable and the chemistry was right then it could only be good for us.

I would love to see another one of our own return. My concern though, wasn't he a defensive coach at WBA? Did you see the defense against Chelsea? Maybe the rot had gone too far by then.
Could Gerry return? on 09:41 - Nov 21 with 1807 viewsWrightUp5hit___

While time may be a great healer, it looks like some of you might need to be reminded of the vicious abuse Gerry suffered towards the end of his second time around as manager.

That had to be hurtful
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 16:56]
Could Gerry return? on 10:07 - Nov 21 with 1787 viewsbosh67

A while ago I bumped into one of Richard Thompson's mates in London. Got told a story about Gerry at the time. I've met Gerry a few times and he was very nice but to be honest he doesn't come out of the story I was told smelling of roses. Thompson admits he made huge mistakes and was too young but the story doesn't show Gerry with blue and white blood coursing through his veins. The problem is that I look back at that time and what happened to the team when we were on a losing streak and it kind of makes sense. Not putting that story up as it would probably get me into trouble. But it is a very plausible story and although I am a Gerry fan and loved him as a player and originally as a manager to be honest, no, don't really want him back.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Could Gerry return? on 10:27 - Nov 21 with 1750 viewsAntti_Heinola

Could Gerry return? on 10:07 - Nov 21 by bosh67

A while ago I bumped into one of Richard Thompson's mates in London. Got told a story about Gerry at the time. I've met Gerry a few times and he was very nice but to be honest he doesn't come out of the story I was told smelling of roses. Thompson admits he made huge mistakes and was too young but the story doesn't show Gerry with blue and white blood coursing through his veins. The problem is that I look back at that time and what happened to the team when we were on a losing streak and it kind of makes sense. Not putting that story up as it would probably get me into trouble. But it is a very plausible story and although I am a Gerry fan and loved him as a player and originally as a manager to be honest, no, don't really want him back.

The stories Gerry, Thompson and Rodney Marsh tell are all over the place. But even Marsh admits in his book he was played by Thompson. I don't think Thompson was quite the ogre made out at the time, but as he says he did make mistakes. But I wouldn't believe everything he's told his mates, however 'plausible'.
I've also met Gerry a few times, and is by miles one of the nicest footballers, even people, I ever met. Once he knew I was a QPR fan, he couldn't do enough for me. Whenever I called it'd be 'you're a QPR boy aren't you? Yeah, no worries.' Absolute gent. If it's about money earned on sales - he was open about that and I have no problem with it. If he buys a player cheap, develops him, sells at a big profit, the club wins and he wins. No issues there at all for me.

Bare bones.

Could Gerry return? on 13:03 - Nov 21 with 1653 viewsrsonist

Could Gerry return? on 21:31 - Nov 20 by bosh67

It's an appealing proposition precisely because it doesn't rely purely on sentiment. I don't know how you can see us look vaguely incoherent every week and not reckon we could do with an experienced eye up in the stands. At the end of the day the club is probably allowing Ollie to spread himself too thin...

Also - can anyone find something to confirm Gerry was day-to-day defensive coach at WBA as some have said? From what I've read I don't think he would be stepping on Fleming's toes at all (particularly as even Ollie knows that defending is a team/shape/press issue and not just your back-line.)
Could Gerry return? on 13:07 - Nov 21 with 1646 viewsTonto

I was under the distinct impression we already did...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024