Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Washington 18:55 - Nov 20 with 3239 viewsPommyhoop

I'd love to be able to swap him for someone in January.
He's got the heart of Mackie but has absolutely no awareness of space and a poor touch.
A fox in the box he ain't, and never will be.
How much did he cost us again?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Washington on 18:58 - Nov 20 with 3227 viewsHayesender

Too much, even the Peterborough chairman said so

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Washington on 19:16 - Nov 20 with 3186 viewsbosh67

I think when we thought we heard a 20 goal a season man what they actually said was a 20 goal a career man. Love his pace, attitude and heart but just lacks that consistent killer instinct.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Washington on 23:59 - Nov 20 with 3003 viewstimcocking

It's a shame. I desperately want him and Jamie to be a little more skillful, but i can't see it happening. As has been noted before, good substitute options, but not the best plan A.
Washington on 04:04 - Nov 21 with 2930 viewsVancouverHoop

You'd think he'd have some sell-on value, he's performed well for NI. I also can't shake the feeling that on a different team he might have more success, but it isn't going to happen here.
Washington on 12:50 - Nov 21 with 2654 viewsWestbourneR

Washington on 19:16 - Nov 20 by bosh67

I think when we thought we heard a 20 goal a season man what they actually said was a 20 goal a career man. Love his pace, attitude and heart but just lacks that consistent killer instinct.

He doesn't have pace - this is partly the problem - he has a powerfulish burst over the first few yards but his top speed is nothing special.

Hence why the ball over the top to Washington galloping through on goal happens precisely never.

He is a beyond average player and always will be.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Washington on 12:57 - Nov 21 with 2642 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Plenty of criticism for Washington but any solutions? Bearing in mind Mackie is that on another thread taking a beating and Sylla and Smith arn’t pulling any trees up.

Eze you say? Seems dangerous pulling out a promising talent from a decent club during a vein of form just to consolidate mid table.
Washington on 13:12 - Nov 21 with 2614 viewsWestbourneR

Washington on 12:57 - Nov 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Plenty of criticism for Washington but any solutions? Bearing in mind Mackie is that on another thread taking a beating and Sylla and Smith arn’t pulling any trees up.

Eze you say? Seems dangerous pulling out a promising talent from a decent club during a vein of form just to consolidate mid table.

Most straight-forward solution...

Sell Washington for as much as you can get asap. An ambitious League One club might give you £1 million.

Persevere with Sylla (Smith on the bench) but in a 4-3-3 and play two proper wingers who will deliver crosses to Sylla. He will score goals.

Washington on 13:32 - Nov 21 with 2578 viewssimmo

Poor touch is not true, his first touch is actually brilliant. He has killed some balls over his shoulder that have amazed me. It's the standing on his heels and head-down mentality once he has the ball that is the problem.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

Washington on 13:38 - Nov 21 with 2565 viewsstevec

Washington on 13:32 - Nov 21 by simmo

Poor touch is not true, his first touch is actually brilliant. He has killed some balls over his shoulder that have amazed me. It's the standing on his heels and head-down mentality once he has the ball that is the problem.

And it'll never change.

Watched Snodgrass make a couple of breaks and every single forward in front of him made a run with a purpose. Compare that to poor old Freeman, picked the ball up 30 yards from his own goal on the sideline, took 2 players out, ran 50 yards with the ball and all our forwards stood their looking at him.

Afraid the problems run deeper than just Washington.
Washington (n/t) on 13:58 - Nov 21 with 2531 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Washington on 13:12 - Nov 21 by WestbourneR

Sell Washington for as much as you can get asap. An ambitious League One club might give you £1 million.

Persevere with Sylla (Smith on the bench) but in a 4-3-3 and play two proper wingers who will deliver crosses to Sylla. He will score goals.

[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 14:10]
Washington on 14:04 - Nov 21 with 2520 viewswhittocksRs

Sadly, he isn't the new Charlie Austin like we hoped he might be.

He's a nice player with some good attributes — tenacity, decent touch, reasonable hold up play and can actually finish around the six-yard box. Problem is he's a little slow, in both legs and in terms of awareness, loses confidence and shrinks quite quickly, and struggles to finish from 10-yards+.

He'll reach 10 goals in the Championship for the next few seasons, but that won't be enough for him to continue leading our forward line. I don't think his issues are necessarily fixable either.
Washington on 14:17 - Nov 21 with 2496 viewsSimonJames

Washington on 13:12 - Nov 21 by WestbourneR

Which League 1 club would pay us £1M for Washington?

100% of people who drink water will die.

Washington on 14:17 - Nov 21 with 2500 viewsrobith

I think a good solution would be to use him when we play in a 352 which he's looked at his most effective for us, and stop playing him out wide where he is largely ineffective (on account of not being a winger)
Washington on 14:34 - Nov 21 with 2477 viewsWestbourneR

Washington on 14:17 - Nov 21 by SimonJames

Which League 1 club would pay us £1M for Washington?

Sigh. If you read my post it says 'sell him for as much as you can asap. An ambitious League One club MIGHT pay £1 million'

However 'as much as you can' accepts that it could be less (I think less than £750k would be a no) and it might well need to be relegation zone Championship club. Whatever happens we over paid and are going to have to take a major hit - but he's got to go. He's pointless.

Washington on 14:56 - Nov 21 with 2440 viewsoldmisery

It seems to me that C.W lacks confidence. The old adage of 'if you don't shoot, you won't score' particularly applies.
I have lost count of the number of times he receives the ball/runs on to the ball in good positions perhaps 10 yards outside the box and then looks for someone to pass to.
I don't know if it's because the ball is on his weaker foot or because he isn't confident he will test the keeper but often by the time he has decided to pass the thing, either the defenders have got back into covering positions or the person to whom he's looking to receive his pass (for some reason, it's usually Mackie) is now marked/has drifted into an offside position.
Washington on 16:39 - Nov 21 with 2356 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Washington on 14:34 - Nov 21 by WestbourneR

Sigh. If you read my post it says 'sell him for as much as you can asap. An ambitious League One club MIGHT pay £1 million'

However 'as much as you can' accepts that it could be less (I think less than £750k would be a no) and it might well need to be relegation zone Championship club. Whatever happens we over paid and are going to have to take a major hit - but he's got to go. He's pointless.

I hope you are not a motivational speaker, that’s all i’m thinking.

Not sure there is any need for a statement so dismissive and final like that.

He did ok for NI and for Peterborough, and if we are honest with ourselves we are not that far away from Peterborough’s level.
Washington on 17:01 - Nov 21 with 2329 viewsonlyrinmoray

Ive said it before and I will say it again none of our forwards are Championship level Watching the Villa second choice forwards (no Hogan or Kodiga ) they looked confident on the ball moved into spaces and were faster than ours We really missed a trick not buying in the summer yes I know we are broke but the money spent on Wheeler Bright Samuel and Smyth would have bought a Waghorn or a Charlie Wyke
Washington on 18:20 - Nov 21 with 2253 viewsSimonJames

Washington on 14:34 - Nov 21 by WestbourneR

Not trying to wind you up. Just wondering what team would have that much to spend and why they would think Washington was the perfect fit for them.

But say you get between £750K-£1M for him, how does that strengthen our team?

100% of people who drink water will die.

Washington on 18:44 - Nov 21 with 2220 viewsWadR

My Washington theory is that he is the anti-Sean Goss. While Goss has suffered from being hoovered up by Man Utd at 16 and not playing proper football for 5 years, Washington's problem is that he lacks the sort of fundamentals that become second nature when you've spent time in a top academy.

As has already been covered, Washington's got an excellent first touch, is quick over 5/10 yards and has decent upper body strength - but he's completely lacking in tactical and positional awareness both in an attacking and defensive capacity.

Normally I'm an advocate of patience with players, see my support for Luongo since he signed, but I would not be remotely disappointed to see him leave in January.
Washington on 19:34 - Nov 21 with 2147 viewsNortholt_Rs

Washington on 18:20 - Nov 21 by SimonJames

Not trying to wind you up. Just wondering what team would have that much to spend and why they would think Washington was the perfect fit for them.

Not to mention the £2m loss we’d take based on what we paid for him....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Washington on 22:16 - Nov 21 with 2004 viewsRs_Holy

Washington on 18:44 - Nov 21 by WadR

My Washington theory is that he is the anti-Sean Goss. While Goss has suffered from being hoovered up by Man Utd at 16 and not playing proper football for 5 years, Washington's problem is that he lacks the sort of fundamentals that become second nature when you've spent time in a top academy.

As has already been covered, Washington's got an excellent first touch, is quick over 5/10 yards and has decent upper body strength - but he's completely lacking in tactical and positional awareness both in an attacking and defensive capacity.

Normally I'm an advocate of patience with players, see my support for Luongo since he signed, but I would not be remotely disappointed to see him leave in January.

I think we all suspected it after his first few games but hoped we were wrong and he’d learn about positional awareness and playing off another striker. He’s as honest as the day is long but alas will never be good enough for the Championship.
Washington on 06:43 - Nov 22 with 1785 viewsWestbourneR

Washington on 18:20 - Nov 21 by SimonJames

Yep sorry mate. To answer you question- he has rep at League One level so maybe a Wigan or Charlton might look at him? Long shot admittedly.

As for £750k I think we’d be better off re-investing that in someone else.

I just think Washington is poor and will never cut it.

Mind you pur main problem is how poorly we use the ball in possession. It’s just not good enough

Washington on 06:46 - Nov 22 with 1780 viewsWestbourneR

Washington on 19:34 - Nov 21 by Northolt_Rs

Not to mention the £2m loss we’d take based on what we paid for him....

Yes mate - I said ‘we’ll have to take a major hit on him we overpaid’. He’s worth nowhere near £2.75 million. Nowhere near.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024