Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? 16:31 - Dec 20 with 36452 viewsswisscottage

Really like Evanescence after first hearing Bring Me to Life and My Immortal on the Daredevil soundtrack back in 2003 and have most of their albums, but never really investigated the gothic or symphonic metal genres back then.

About two weeks ago I heard Amaranth by Nightwish which blew me away and I started looking into the whole Gothic/Symphonic genres. ( I know they're not the same, but there's a big overlap) and I just love the Classical female vocals backed up by symphonic metal.

So currently (excluding Evanescence) I've been listening to and rank in terms of my favorites:
Inside Temptation
Nightwish
Epica
After Forever ( because Floor Jansen is now lead vocalist in Nightwish so I though I'd check them out) - I haven't checked out Revamp yet probably will this weekend.

So from anyone that is really into this genre; are there any other bands you'd recommend, other than me pulling up the 'top 10 gothic metal bands' from Google :) ?
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:20 - Jan 12 with 6225 viewsMetallica_Hoop

After Forever were a fantastic band, Mark Jansen left to form Epica. The first albums are really dark masterpeices. Oh and they had an amazing singer you may know.

[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 23:28]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:21 - Jan 23 with 6111 viewsdavid_badwolf

I've recently discovered MYRKUR. Her album Mareridt is awesome. This is more black metal, although her website describes it as "a visionary blend of metal, with gorgeous, stirring melodies, dark folk passages, choral arrangements and superb, horrific beauty."

https://www.myrkurmusic.com/

[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 11:23]
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 12:53 - Jan 23 with 6088 viewsR_from_afar

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 10:03 - Dec 21 by Orthodox_Hoop

Not my cup of tea, doom/stoner/sludge is what I like plus some death etc. Love Carcass. For this stuff Metallica Hoop is your man.

Have you heard this album? Possibly not symphonic enough for this thread but still dark yet melodic. This is the best album I have heard in years. It's like a cross between Nickleback and Tool, but more interesting than the former and less scary than the latter. Or something.

Metallica, my metal liege, I await your judgement!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 18:13 - Feb 1 with 5983 viewsdavid_badwolf

Just in case anyone's interested, the latest issue of METAL HAMMER magazine features several of the (female-fronted) bands mentioned in this thread.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/metalhammer/
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 09:00 - Feb 2 with 5949 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Mareridt is a great album.

I only discovered she's supporting Epica last week, that's going to be a good gig. I can't wait.

I tried to buy copy yesterday but no one stocks it near Edgware Road going to find a WH Smith.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 09:03 - Feb 2 with 5948 viewsMetallica_Hoop

"
Have you heard this album? Possibly not symphonic enough for this thread but still dark yet melodic. This is the best album I have heard in years. It's like a cross between Nickleback and Tool, but more interesting than the former and less scary than the latter. Or something. "

I've heard bits of this before it's different in a good way. I'm going to put the whole thing on later when I'm working. (wireless speaker innit)
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 9:04]

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 10:18 - Feb 2 with 5941 viewsTheBlob

Does this qualify?Must admit to a bit of an obsession with this lot.

[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 10:45]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:57 - Feb 2 with 5918 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 10:18 - Feb 2 by TheBlob

Does this qualify?Must admit to a bit of an obsession with this lot.

[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 10:45]

That's some pretty avant garde prog metal if I ever heard some! Never heard of them, thanks!
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 18:54 - Feb 2 with 5882 viewsMetallica_Hoop

It's all about the fiddle solo

Enjoy

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 14:01 - Feb 16 with 5755 viewsDavon_Van_Dave

Hi,

Check this new band - Glasya!

Thanks
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 10:14 - Mar 11 with 5605 viewsdavid_badwolf

I've just found another one - Annysia.
Apparently, they're a "cinematic fantasy metal band." Their album, 'The Dark Knight' is available to download.
Here is the video for one of the tracks, "Dark Elven Queen":

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 21:47 - Mar 16 with 5530 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I bought this on Monday It's fkin brillant.

4 choirs, 150 metal musicians. What's not to like. Enjoy

[Post edited 16 Mar 2018 22:18]

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 01:09 - Mar 17 with 5498 viewstimcocking

Sisters of Mercy have always been one of my favourites if they count...
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 21:44 - Apr 7 with 5377 viewsMetallica_Hoop

How did I miss this?

[Post edited 7 Apr 2018 21:46]

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:16 - May 6 with 5245 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Midnattsol have re-formed if you didn't know. (well some of them)

Heard 3 tracks sounds good.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 06:46 - May 7 with 5224 viewsRD2112

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:16 - May 6 by Metallica_Hoop

Midnattsol have re-formed if you didn't know. (well some of them)

Heard 3 tracks sounds good.

Morning all from a very sunny Netherlands. Symphonic/Goth Rock is massive over here and I see that many Dutch bands have already had a mention. With one glaring omission, The Gathering. The lead singer is a chick called Anneke Van Giersbergen, she is the best female singer that I have ever heard in rock but she can sing any style at all. Reliable info tells me that she recorded all her vocal parts in one take during the sessions for Into The Electric Castle by Ayreon which is pretty much unheard of, {for example, Celine Dion needed 51 takes to do that Titanic song}. If you like Progressive/Symphonic Rock please check out Into The Electric Castle and Universal Migrator parts 1 and 2, I own about 3000 albums and these have been in my top ten albums since the end of the 90's. Now, what about Power Metal...........
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:49 - May 22 with 5139 viewsswisscottage

So, just purchased my Tickets for Within Temptation at the O2 in Brixton on 13th Nov.

Anyone else going ?
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 15:49 - May 22 with 5123 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 06:46 - May 7 by RD2112

Morning all from a very sunny Netherlands. Symphonic/Goth Rock is massive over here and I see that many Dutch bands have already had a mention. With one glaring omission, The Gathering. The lead singer is a chick called Anneke Van Giersbergen, she is the best female singer that I have ever heard in rock but she can sing any style at all. Reliable info tells me that she recorded all her vocal parts in one take during the sessions for Into The Electric Castle by Ayreon which is pretty much unheard of, {for example, Celine Dion needed 51 takes to do that Titanic song}. If you like Progressive/Symphonic Rock please check out Into The Electric Castle and Universal Migrator parts 1 and 2, I own about 3000 albums and these have been in my top ten albums since the end of the 90's. Now, what about Power Metal...........

What about Power Metal?
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 16:13 - May 22 with 5117 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:49 - May 22 by swisscottage

So, just purchased my Tickets for Within Temptation at the O2 in Brixton on 13th Nov.

Anyone else going ?

No but I have Nightwish tickets for Dec.

I wish it was at Brixton again not Wembley.

I may get WT tickets if there are any left as I think I will prefer them live to the way the albums have gone.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:07 - May 23 with 5082 viewsswisscottage

I'm interested in the direction del Adel goes in with this album as I do prefer their earlier work.
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:23 - May 23 with 5077 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:07 - May 23 by swisscottage

I'm interested in the direction del Adel goes in with this album as I do prefer their earlier work.

I listened to a bit of 'Enter' last night I forgot what a Doomy album it is I'm gonna put it back on my MP3.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 09:22 - Aug 9 with 4591 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Debut album just been released, I bought it it's superb. Worth checking out.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 08:26 - Oct 4 with 4120 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Discovered these guys drunk after several ales on a Fb group.

Sounds promising. The band are French

[Post edited 4 Oct 2018 8:27]

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 13:56 - Oct 4 with 4093 viewsswisscottage

I'll have a listen.

Came across Krypteria and Nemesia at the weekend.

Youtube Music is proving quite useful :).

Booked my tickets to Nightwish at Wembley Arena on 8th Dec.

Edit: Also I can't stop playing The Reckoning.. its like a step back to The Silent Force .. looking forward to Within Temptation's concert now.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2018 14:00]
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 14:04 - Oct 4 with 4089 viewsbeanofire1

Almost nothing to do woth the subject matter, but, my good lady has just come back off a 9 date UK tour.

The band is Airrace and the new album is 'Untold Stories.'

Nothing like Gothic or Symphonic, more like Foreigner, Journey, ELO, early Purple and Whitesnake.

Eyes Like Ice -
New Skin -
Running Out Of Time -

'I knw I ain't doing much........but doing nothing means a lot to me.'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024