Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? 16:31 - Dec 20 with 37003 viewsswisscottage

Really like Evanescence after first hearing Bring Me to Life and My Immortal on the Daredevil soundtrack back in 2003 and have most of their albums, but never really investigated the gothic or symphonic metal genres back then.

About two weeks ago I heard Amaranth by Nightwish which blew me away and I started looking into the whole Gothic/Symphonic genres. ( I know they're not the same, but there's a big overlap) and I just love the Classical female vocals backed up by symphonic metal.

So currently (excluding Evanescence) I've been listening to and rank in terms of my favorites:
Inside Temptation
Nightwish
Epica
After Forever ( because Floor Jansen is now lead vocalist in Nightwish so I though I'd check them out) - I haven't checked out Revamp yet probably will this weekend.

So from anyone that is really into this genre; are there any other bands you'd recommend, other than me pulling up the 'top 10 gothic metal bands' from Google :) ?
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 15:40 - Oct 4 with 4534 viewsBluce_Ree

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 20:43 - Oct 13 with 4483 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This looks good if you haven't seen it yet. From a forthcoming DVD apparently.

[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 20:46]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 17:52 - Oct 24 with 4400 viewsR_from_afar

Woah, all over the place!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 16:18 - Nov 2 with 4354 viewsR_from_afar

A barnstorming but melodic romp, with quite splendid lyrics.

Metallica, you will love this if you haven't heard it. What am I saying, you and the lead singer have probably been penpals for years

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:27 - Nov 7 with 4318 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Coming out in 3 day's it sounds f'kin great.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:28 - Nov 14 with 4262 viewsMetallica_Hoop

For your delight.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 13:56 - Nov 15 with 4233 viewsR_from_afar

Somehow shoehorning a whole album's worth of musical ideas into one bombastic track....

RFA

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 19:25 - Nov 25 with 4172 viewsKeytarHero

Well, folks here seem to have hit on all of my favourites. I am sure people in here have mentioned Delain, Within Temptation and Epica several times. Therion is also worth checking out. On a local band level, I play with Hell Hounds (blend of symphonic and power):

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 13:14 - Dec 17 with 4002 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Nightwish were great Last Saturday. I was drunk as a lord and remember most of it

Was watching this today, made me smile. Her face at the Floorgasm...

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 15:41 - Dec 24 with 3934 viewsdavid_badwolf

This is one of my new favourite Christmas albums. FROM SPIRITS & GHOSTS (SCORE FOR A DARK CHRISTMAS) by Tarja. One reviewer called it ‘Elvira meets Katherine Jenkins.’ I found it a remarkable album; haunting & original, you won’t hear this at the school nativity play!

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 20:29 - Dec 28 with 3866 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I just heard this one on theFemale Fronted Metalbands fb group.

See what you think.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 20:30]

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:44 - Jan 15 with 3730 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I was posting on how good Floor was on our older boards when she was 24.

Nice to see she's getting the recognition she deserves.

[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 23:59]

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 12:59 - Jan 18 with 3685 viewsR_from_afar

This is possibly more classic metal than Gothic or Symphonic, but see what you think. This is the demo, the "proper" album is on its way. They obviously love Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Don't be put off by the rubbish artwork!

RFA

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 13:16 - Jan 18 with 3682 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 12:59 - Jan 18 by R_from_afar

This is possibly more classic metal than Gothic or Symphonic, but see what you think. This is the demo, the "proper" album is on its way. They obviously love Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Don't be put off by the rubbish artwork!

RFA

That's really good mate.

Check out Severn Sisters and Wytch Hazel for similar.

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:13 - Jan 18 with 3659 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Before they became...poppy. I have it on CD. It's good.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 23:14]

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 23:19 - Feb 8 with 3489 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ladies and Gentlemen this band sound promising.

https://www.facebook.com/NevariaOfficial/

[Post edited 8 Feb 2019 23:22]

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 17:25 - Mar 9 with 3281 viewsdavid_badwolf

I’ve been listening to Nightwish’s album, OCEANBORN. This is worth getting just to hear Tarja blasting out the lyrics to ‘Walking in the Air.’ Yes, that’s right, ‘Walking in the Air’! I mean, how utterly bonkers is that? Yet, it’s bloody brilliant! Aled Jones, eat your heart out!

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 15:38 - Mar 11 with 3214 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've just pre-ordered the two previews sound great.

Symphonic Deth!

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:57 - Mar 24 with 3135 viewsdavid_badwolf

This is worth checking out: "Smog of Tomorrow", the new album from Slovak symphonic metal band, Symfobia.

[Post edited 24 Mar 2019 12:01]
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 12:15 - Mar 24 with 3122 viewsdavid_badwolf

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:57 - Mar 24 by david_badwolf

This is worth checking out: "Smog of Tomorrow", the new album from Slovak symphonic metal band, Symfobia.

[Post edited 24 Mar 2019 12:01]

I've done a bit more digging on Symfobia, and I reckon that their earlier album, "Way of The Queen" was much better.

[Post edited 24 Mar 2019 12:16]
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 18:39 - Mar 28 with 3055 viewsdavid_badwolf

This is worth checking out: "The Legacy of Atlantis" by Russian symphonic metal band, Imperial Age. I really enjoyed this album. That said, it is a bit "samey" which may be why the first half seems stronger than the second.

Update: This album is described as "a full-scale Symphonic Metal opera set in the Middle Ages in Europe and in the legendary advanced civilization of Atlantis." The band recommend that you listen to it in one go from start to finish to get the complete "experience"!

[Post edited 5 Apr 2019 9:20]
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 09:35 - May 1 with 2860 viewsdavid_badwolf

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 17:25 - Mar 9 by david_badwolf

I’ve been listening to Nightwish’s album, OCEANBORN. This is worth getting just to hear Tarja blasting out the lyrics to ‘Walking in the Air.’ Yes, that’s right, ‘Walking in the Air’! I mean, how utterly bonkers is that? Yet, it’s bloody brilliant! Aled Jones, eat your heart out!

I realise it’s only the beginning of May but this earlier post got me wondering as to how many Symphonic Metal Christmas or Winter-themed albums there are. I can only think of two, both by the aforementioned Tarja Turunen i.e. MY WINTER STORM and FROM SPIRITS & GHOSTS (SCORE FOR A DARK CHRISTMAS). Can anyone think of any others? Or, like OCEANBORN, a symphonic metal album that includes a Christmas or Winter-themed track?
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 09:54 - May 1 with 2852 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 09:35 - May 1 by david_badwolf

I realise it’s only the beginning of May but this earlier post got me wondering as to how many Symphonic Metal Christmas or Winter-themed albums there are. I can only think of two, both by the aforementioned Tarja Turunen i.e. MY WINTER STORM and FROM SPIRITS & GHOSTS (SCORE FOR A DARK CHRISTMAS). Can anyone think of any others? Or, like OCEANBORN, a symphonic metal album that includes a Christmas or Winter-themed track?

Means Winter in Russki. Good album too

A song for/of winter (I think my Magyar google had it as winter full of things

New Tarja sounds very good

Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 10:29 - May 6 with 2813 viewsdavid_badwolf

Thanks! I'll have to check out Arkona. I wasn't previously aware of them; looks like they're more Gothic Metal than Symphonic but we'll see. The new Tarja album, IN THE RAW, will be released on August 30th.
Anyone here into Gothic or Symphonic Metal? on 11:45 - May 13 with 2738 viewsdavid_badwolf

Are any of you guys familiar with Dark Sarah, the Finnish cinematic metal band (whatever the hell ‘cinematic’ metal is) fronted by former Amberian Dawn vocalist, Heidi Parviainen? I’m tempted to take a punt on them but it’s really difficult to judge from the 30 second sample tracks on amazon! It sounded as if the middle album of the trilogy, THE PUZZLE, was the most promising.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024