Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surreal Shittu 16:38 - Jan 25 with 11482 viewsHadders

I'm supply teaching at the moment and have been teaching for a couple of weeks in a small primary school in New Southgate, where today they had an Ambitions' Day, with kids and staff dressing up in the outfit of their dream job (a lot of footballers, doctors, pop-singers - not so many regional managers). They had an assembly this morning with a parent speaking as a special guest: Danny Shittu!

He stood with a display of paraphernalia on stage behind him ( Drogba and Adeybayor shirts, QPR away, a souvenir from the South Africa World Cup...) and showed pictures on a screen of him playing in various games, including one (most impressive to kids) of him (playing for Nigeria) clattering into Messi. He spoke with passion about the value of holding on to a dream and working hard in school (mentioning the need for a fall-back if things don't work out), and certainly made a positive impression on the kids. Teachers told me he is very involved with the school and is much-liked by staff.

After his talk, I had to speak up, and ended up being asked by the headteacher to lead the entire school in three rounds of the chim-chimeny, chim-chimeny song, to everyone's amusement or bemusement. Danny covered his face in mock embarrassment, but was very friendly afterwards and clearly loved it. One of the more surreal moments of my life, for sure...
[Post edited 26 Jan 2018 1:01]
Surreal Shittu on 16:44 - Jan 25 with 7828 viewstoboboly

I presume you were there in full kit to show what your dream job is?

edit - on first glance I thought you were perhaps going to own up to Paul Parker about recent incidents.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 16:45]

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Surreal Shittu on 17:16 - Jan 25 with 7749 viewsHayesender

I absolutely love Danny Shittu.

One of life's good guys, who always seems to have time for people and always smiling

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Surreal Shittu on 17:19 - Jan 25 with 7739 viewsMytch_QPR

Nice story and a top guy - any idea what he is doing now?

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Surreal Shittu on 18:30 - Jan 25 with 7640 viewsPunteR

What a top bloke.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Surreal Shittu on 19:28 - Jan 25 with 7530 viewsHadders

Surreal Shittu on 17:19 - Jan 25 by Mytch_QPR

Nice story and a top guy - any idea what he is doing now?

Not sure exactly, but he mentioned something about having had another long-held ambition to run a computer business, which he is now doing. I'm working at the school tomorrow and next week, so if I bump into him picking up his kids, I might mention this thread...
Surreal Shittu on 20:16 - Jan 25 with 7379 viewsOnlyMe

Surreal Shittu on 19:28 - Jan 25 by Hadders

Not sure exactly, but he mentioned something about having had another long-held ambition to run a computer business, which he is now doing. I'm working at the school tomorrow and next week, so if I bump into him picking up his kids, I might mention this thread...

Peterborough away. He came on for his debut, did a lot of honest running around and clattering opponents before being sent off and leaving, head down like a sad little schoolboy who had been sent to bed early.

Loved him from the moment he came on and he never let me down.
Surreal Shittu on 20:22 - Jan 25 with 7359 viewsHadders

Surreal Shittu on 20:16 - Jan 25 by OnlyMe

Peterborough away. He came on for his debut, did a lot of honest running around and clattering opponents before being sent off and leaving, head down like a sad little schoolboy who had been sent to bed early.

Loved him from the moment he came on and he never let me down.

If people want to post their favourite Shittu stories, I'll definitely tell him about the thread...
Surreal Shittu on 20:33 - Jan 25 with 7332 viewsOnlyMe

Mansfield away --- Near post header from a corner in front of a packed away end. If he'd gone any higher he might have taken off and if there had been a defender in front of him they'd still be looking for the pieces ;-)
Login to get fewer ads

Surreal Shittu on 20:54 - Jan 25 with 7261 viewsLblock

Still love the story of him physcing out Earnshaw in the tunnel before the play off final
Apparently the little alien shat himself
Of course it didn’t end up too well in the end

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Surreal Shittu on 21:52 - Jan 25 with 7144 viewsHadders

Surreal Shittu on 18:30 - Jan 25 by PunteR

What a top bloke.

Thanks.
Surreal Shittu on 22:06 - Jan 25 with 7104 viewspaulparker

After the play off final against Cardiff Shittu went to straight to bed when he got back to the team hotel
The rest of the squad had like a mini disco and drinks as like a well done/ hard luck type thing but Shittu stayed in his room as he felt he was to blame for Campbell scoring and couldn’t face anyone as he felt he let the club down

Also when he made his come back against Leicester in the 3-2 win he had come back after being 8months out with a bad knee injury , he never missed a beat that day and his celebration at the end was like a mad man , that always stuck with me

I also use to love the way he hugged everyone at the start of a game , god we were a tight nit bunch on and off the pitch in them days

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Surreal Shittu on 22:51 - Jan 25 with 7023 viewsPeterHucker

Saw him walking down Bloemfontein Road in his tracksuit. I said "alright Danny" to him as I went past and he stopped for a chat. What a genuinely nice guy he was.

A couple of months later I happened to see him again as the team were getting off the coach away at Blackpool (the match where Langley got a hat-trick). He saw me, came over to shake my hand and even remembered my name.

No surprise to me that he's the kind of bloke that can inspire kids.
Also loved it when he used to kick the ball out of the ground. Sure he did that deliberately.
Surreal Shittu on 03:34 - Jan 26 with 6852 viewsdixiedean

Surreal Shittu on 22:06 - Jan 25 by paulparker

After the play off final against Cardiff Shittu went to straight to bed when he got back to the team hotel
The rest of the squad had like a mini disco and drinks as like a well done/ hard luck type thing but Shittu stayed in his room as he felt he was to blame for Campbell scoring and couldn’t face anyone as he felt he let the club down

Also when he made his come back against Leicester in the 3-2 win he had come back after being 8months out with a bad knee injury , he never missed a beat that day and his celebration at the end was like a mad man , that always stuck with me

I also use to love the way he hugged everyone at the start of a game , god we were a tight nit bunch on and off the pitch in them days

A similar story to paulparker re Cardiff. We booked to stay at Celtic Manor without realising that the team were there too ( as were other play off teams - lincoln think ) . Back in in the hotel after the game my friend Sindy and I bumped into Big Dan in the lift ( not much room there ! ) and he was distraught saying he was so sorry for having let the fans down. We said he never let us down and he seemed really pleased to hear that . A small moment but it meant a lot to know he cared and nice to see a genuine guy to contrast with egotistical pricks like Barton. Also spoke to him at Kit sponsors' evenings and he always had time to speak to fans whereas some players just played on their phones and couldn't wait to get away.Big Dan we love you . The original gentle giant !
Surreal Shittu on 07:50 - Jan 26 with 6736 viewsTheChef

Surreal Shittu on 22:06 - Jan 25 by paulparker

Ah yes, the good old pre KO Shittu hug.

And pretty much every game, him chasing back to tackle opponents, 'SHITTU'S GONNA GET YA!'

Happy days.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Surreal Shittu on 07:51 - Jan 26 with 6737 viewsloneranger1

All these stories only make me love him more!

I was a teenager when Ollie was here the first time and have a few snaps (in the era before smartphones and selfies!) with players, and only two are up on our glass kitchen door to this day (!) - with Furs and with big Danny Shittu.

As others have said, such a genuine guy who really did seem happy to talk for a minute with the fans, and loved being at Rangers. I remember really enjoying his performance against Cardiff in the league, a 1-0 win at LR with him scoring the winner (ball bouncing around in the area and he stabbed it in from 12/15 yards if I remember rightly..). One of those games where he gave as good as he got, a few cuts included... I remember getting to have a quick word with him on the warmdown after the game and, as when I got my photo, he was happy to have a few words and share my happiness at his starring role in a satisfying QPR win.

Just checked the BBC archive, it was November 2004.
Surreal Shittu on 08:30 - Jan 26 with 6665 viewsLimehouseR

All of the above are great memories.
I was also there for his debut and despite the red card I thought, finally a proper centre back!

For some reason I've always remembered a game at Loftus Road when we must have been a few goals to the good because Danny was coming forward from the back, crossed the half way line and there were ridiculous cries of 'SHOOOOOOT' from everyone. So about 35 yards out he did. The ball flew dead straight towards the goal and crashed off the the bar, keeper rooted to the spot. Cries of 'Ohhhh' and applause from the crowd. Would have been some goal. Big Dan just jogged back to our half sheepishly with a mischeivous smile. Good times!

What an absolute top bloke and one of the reasons I used to go to every game back then. Not so much now. You could tell they really cared. There's never really been a group of players of since the likes of Dan, Furlong, Gallen, Rowlands etc.

EDIT: just searched on you tube, could have been this!

[Post edited 26 Jan 2018 8:38]
Surreal Shittu on 09:30 - Jan 26 with 6553 viewsBucksRanger

This was excellent. Darren Pratley going shoulder to shoulder with Big Dan.

Surreal Shittu on 09:37 - Jan 26 with 6538 viewsheadhoops

was very very lucky to be invited to see the Leeds final day promotion game from the box next to the players wives. Had my two boys with me and post game the 'corporate box holders' had all buggered off leaving the 3 of us to enjoy the occasion. Big Danny came in grabbed a glass and was chatting away for about 5 mins until Mrs S arrived with their very young daughter. His wife was around 5ft tall. We need to go she says. He replied, not yet love I'm talking with these boys. Now Daniel she says in a more strict tone and he says I better go lads with a sheepish look. Only time I have seen him back down at LR! He genuinely loved playing for us and was so excited we were going up.

And another thing to love him for was backing him with £10 to be first goalscorer - took the bookies almost the whole season to cut his odds down from around the 20 -1s!

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Surreal Shittu on 09:46 - Jan 26 with 6517 viewsEsox_Lucius

Just the fact that he was brought on as striker for the last game at home to Leeds when we went up as Champions typifies all the Danny Shittu is to QPR. Definitely one of our legends.

The grass is always greener.

Surreal Shittu on 10:31 - Jan 26 with 6456 viewsDorse

One of the greats in the pantheon of QPR heroes. I loved watching that side. Always felt that we stood a chance with him and Carlisle at the back in front of Daisy.

Day, Bignot, Padula, Carlisle and Shittu - what a unit.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Surreal Shittu on 11:52 - Jan 26 with 6379 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ah, man. One of my all time favourites, top 10 for sure, and yet somehow not even my favourite QPR centre back called Danny. But there you go.

Three memories among many.

1. At Bournemouth, we won 2-1, he was on loan. He celebrated so much, I said to my Dad, 'I think he might sign for us,' even though we thought he was too good. But he did. You could tell he loved the club.

2. The time, possibly also against Bournemouth, when he played on after he'd done his ACL?

3. And I think this was v Norwich. Grant Holt, I think, elbowed him once. Danny didn't rise to it. So he tried again. Danny got a bit angry. A third time. Danny had to go off for treatment. Danny was not f'ing happy. We have a corner. He sprints on. The ground is shaking. Ball in. Bang. Goal. Well done Holty, that worked a treat, son, you ignorant pr!ck.

Bare bones.

Surreal Shittu on 12:00 - Jan 26 with 6357 viewsMaggsinho

Surreal Shittu on 11:52 - Jan 26 by Antti_Heinola

Ah, man. One of my all time favourites, top 10 for sure, and yet somehow not even my favourite QPR centre back called Danny. But there you go.

1. At Bournemouth, we won 2-1, he was on loan. He celebrated so much, I said to my Dad, 'I think he might sign for us,' even though we thought he was too good. But he did. You could tell he loved the club.

2. The time, possibly also against Bournemouth, when he played on after he'd done his ACL?

3. And I think this was v Norwich. Grant Holt, I think, elbowed him once. Danny didn't rise to it. So he tried again. Danny got a bit angry. A third time. Danny had to go off for treatment. Danny was not f'ing happy. We have a corner. He sprints on. The ground is shaking. Ball in. Bang. Goal. Well done Holty, that worked a treat, son, you ignorant pr!ck.

Point 3 was Alan Lee vs Cardiff wasn't it? I remember gleefully recounting that chain of events to my dad afterwards.
Surreal Shittu on 12:48 - Jan 26 with 6278 viewsGroveR

Favourite memory of Big Dan was Brighton away when the Incredibly Injured Mister Rose belted in an injury time stunner (yes kids, you read that right) in a 3-2 win.

Danny must have been coming back from injury himself (cruciate I think) and came on with 10 left. This was at the Withdean and you could just see the portacabin that was the away dressing room from the top of the portastands in the away end. As both teams leave the pitch he's giving it large to the Brighton players, staff and fans. He turns around just before going into the dressing room, fists clenched, utterly pumped and roars "I'M BACK! I'M BACK!! like a lunatic.

If Gallen was the brain of that team, Big Dan was it's heart.
Surreal Shittu on 14:14 - Jan 26 with 6126 viewsR_from_afar

Surreal Shittu on 11:52 - Jan 26 by Antti_Heinola

The ACL injury was against The Cherries. I was at that one, undercover amongst the home fans. Danny soldiered on until halftime, as I recall.

That was in the days when Bournemouth's ground only had stands on three sides. There was an earth bank behind one of the goals.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Surreal Shittu on 17:52 - Jan 26 with 5956 viewsNorthLondonR

Danny taught me how to take a selfie on an iphone 4.. fact.

On South Africa Road before a home game against i cant remember... "u can keep that tip for free" .. legend
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024