Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The story of skinheads. 15:16 - Feb 16 with 6505 viewsMick_S

BBC 4 - 9.00 pm. Tonight.

Might interest a few.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2018 15:18]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The story of skinheads. on 15:24 - Feb 16 with 5316 viewsCroydonCaptJack

That looks like that guy who used to hang around with the Clash behind.
The story of skinheads. on 15:26 - Feb 16 with 5310 viewsMick_S

Don Letts.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The story of skinheads. on 16:01 - Feb 16 with 5243 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The story of skinheads. on 15:26 - Feb 16 by Mick_S

Don Letts.

Thats it. Cheers Mick
The story of skinheads. on 16:02 - Feb 16 with 5242 viewsJuzzie

Cool. I'll record that and watch it later.

From what I recall the original skinheads were far from being fascist, anything but. Very pro black music and culture etc.

Unfortunatley the NF and right wing thinking people adopted the aggressive look and skinheads became synonomous with facists during the 70's and 80's.
The story of skinheads. on 16:18 - Feb 16 with 5217 viewspaulparker

its been on before and is actually a very good watch
the old man was a skinhead back in the sixties around the bush ive been bought up on the tales , he had the Crombie coat the Harrington jacket , the Sherman, & fred perry shirts and the two tone suits , he loved it especially the fashion side of it , I bought him a red Harrington last year for his b/day to take him back to his glory days
what the old man always says is that the majority of his mates were west Indian and that they embraced the culture and the clothes more than the white lads did ,
he still goes to reggae and ska bands to this day

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The story of skinheads. on 16:29 - Feb 16 with 5192 viewsBrightonhoop

The one and only, brilliant Don Letts. Seen here with Pauline Black. His story about scoring ganja in London for Bob Marley in this programme is an absolute classic.

The story of skinheads. on 17:00 - Feb 16 with 5145 viewsDorse

The story of skinheads: guy with hair goes to barbers, leaves without hair, the end.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The story of skinheads. on 17:47 - Feb 16 with 5101 viewsSimonJames

The story of skinheads. on 16:18 - Feb 16 by paulparker

the old man was a skinhead back in the sixties around the bush ive been bought up on the tales , he had the Crombie coat the Harrington jacket , the Sherman, & fred perry shirts and the two tone suits , he loved it especially the fashion side of it , I bought him a red Harrington last year for his b/day to take him back to his glory days
what the old man always says is that the majority of his mates were west Indian and that they embraced the culture and the clothes more than the white lads did ,

Yes I saw it the first time around. Very good.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Login to get fewer ads

The story of skinheads. on 20:09 - Feb 16 with 4944 viewsFDC

The story of skinheads. on 17:47 - Feb 16 by SimonJames

Yes I saw it the first time around. Very good.

Same, very good doc. Don Letts is a don.
The story of skinheads. on 20:10 - Feb 16 with 4941 viewsFDC

It's a great era as far as W12 is concerned, absolute metling pot of musical influences and cultures.
The story of skinheads. on 20:15 - Feb 16 with 4926 viewsTripleR

Not forgetting the Doc Martens boots. The Royal's, Brouges and Gibson shoes.
Levi Sta-pressed anyone.
The story of skinheads. on 20:33 - Feb 16 with 4898 viewsdannyblue

My mum used to know Don Letts and as a kid I went round once. He gave me a Big Audio Dynamite tape and I was impressed because it had the trellick tower on the front. Even at 11 I recognised his mrs, Audrey, was a sort.
The story of skinheads. on 20:40 - Feb 16 with 4885 viewsdanehoop

The story of skinheads. on 20:15 - Feb 16 by TripleR

Levi Sta-pressed anyone.

Shame that Skinheads in the late 1970's and early 1980s that I met had generally morphed into a bunch of at best "conflicted" individuals when I was a teenager.

Many was the Bury Street, St .Pauls, Southbourne disco in my formative years trying to understand the seig heiling and racist chanting going on whilst dancing away to finest ska music, Harry J and the Allstars, Liquidator was a particular fav track to chant "humorous" casual racism, the irony being that most the band then joined Bob Marley as the Wailers in a later guise. Turned into one of the tunes that Chelshit used to come out at the dump that was Stamshyt Bridge at the time. Given that the NF were rampant, especially in the shed at the time, you should tell you all you need to know about how that movement was hijacked by the far right.

Never knowingly understood

The story of skinheads. on 22:37 - Feb 16 with 4771 viewskingo

The story of skinheads. on 20:15 - Feb 16 by TripleR

Levi Sta-pressed anyone.

Tonic suits, monkey boots, Brutus, Brute, sleeveless V necks and girls were called sorts. Saturdays consisted of a trip to the market or Stuarts and then in the Loft for knees up Mother Brown.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

The story of skinheads. on 22:51 - Feb 16 with 4750 viewsBrightonhoop

The story of skinheads. on 22:37 - Feb 16 by kingo

Tonic suits, monkey boots, Brutus, Brute, sleeveless V necks and girls were called sorts. Saturdays consisted of a trip to the market or Stuarts and then in the Loft for knees up Mother Brown.

Is Stuarts still going? Was still open a couple of years ago.
The story of skinheads. on 23:12 - Feb 16 with 4719 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've also seen it before. Good programme and informative on the hijacking by the far right.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The story of skinheads. on 00:30 - Feb 17 with 4625 viewshubble

The story of skinheads. on 15:24 - Feb 16 by CroydonCaptJack

That looks like that guy who used to hang around with the Clash behind.

That guy who used to hang out with the Clash! I hope posts below yours have given you a clearer picture PJack. Amazing guy Don Letts - directed several Clash videos and co-founded BAD. Bit of a name-drop here, but I was at the Grammy's in 2003 when they did that amazing tribute to Joe (who died in 2002) and Don was there of course, to collect his Grammy for directing Best Music film: The Clash Westway to the World. I had a chat to him about it afterwards and have chatted to him several times since in Queens Park. A proper local is Don and a top man.
The story of skinheads. on 03:45 - Feb 17 with 4530 viewsflynnbo

Yes, it is still going. Went in there a couple of weeks ago and has some lovely stuff but prices are very high.
The story of skinheads. on 04:45 - Feb 17 with 4514 viewsOnlyMe

Being a Notting Hill/Ladbroke Grove lad of 17ish around 1970, I/we used to go up to the small West Indian record shops at the north ends of Portobello and Golbourne and buy Ska imports to listen to. Also, though maybe a bit of a joke to some now, Slade were big (six straight-in-at-number-ones).

A lot of the other stuff has been mentioned (my Squires Brogues and Loafers cost 8 Guineas a pair each and my first DMs were 5 Quid ---my first job was paying £8 pw.) but, for entertainment (apart from the obvious Palais), we used to go to the Castle Ballroom Richmond and The Boat House at Kew (both long gone now).

Away matches with Rangers (or days out at the coast often involved hiding spare laces and braces about our person as local Plod like to be clever(?) and confiscate the ones we were wearing when we arrived.

My generation had grown up with the children of the new immigrants and been at Primary school with them so we were mates with the OB as the only real enemy.

And the so-called "Second Generation" of skinheads was an abomination that was a very different species, from a different time, as far from the original Skinhead thing as Bristolians are from the inhabitants of South Kensington. And yes, we enjoyed a good ruck but the tosser-fascist lot just enjoyed being bullies
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 4:58]
The story of skinheads. on 08:08 - Feb 17 with 4413 viewssmegma

The story of skinheads. on 22:51 - Feb 16 by Brightonhoop

Yes it is. I believe 100percent lives in there.
The story of skinheads. on 08:17 - Feb 17 with 4395 viewssmegma

Watfords finest are carrying on the tradition. One of the best live acts out there at the moment.
The story of skinheads. on 11:53 - Feb 17 with 4245 viewskingo

The story of skinheads. on 04:45 - Feb 17 by OnlyMe

Being a Notting Hill/Ladbroke Grove lad of 17ish around 1970, I/we used to go up to the small West Indian record shops at the north ends of Portobello and Golbourne and buy Ska imports to listen to. Also, though maybe a bit of a joke to some now, Slade were big (six straight-in-at-number-ones).

A lot of the other stuff has been mentioned (my Squires Brogues and Loafers cost 8 Guineas a pair each and my first DMs were 5 Quid ---my first job was paying £8 pw.) but, for entertainment (apart from the obvious Palais), we used to go to the Castle Ballroom Richmond and The Boat House at Kew (both long gone now).

Away matches with Rangers (or days out at the coast often involved hiding spare laces and braces about our person as local Plod like to be clever(?) and confiscate the ones we were wearing when we arrived.

My generation had grown up with the children of the new immigrants and been at Primary school with them so we were mates with the OB as the only real enemy.

And the so-called "Second Generation" of skinheads was an abomination that was a very different species, from a different time, as far from the original Skinhead thing as Bristolians are from the inhabitants of South Kensington. And yes, we enjoyed a good ruck but the tosser-fascist lot just enjoyed being bullies
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 4:58]

As you say, great days to be a youngster supporting the Rangers. Skinheads was a fashion with very precise rules governing what was correct or ‘tasty’ and what wasn’t. It was important that your Levi’s or Sta priest were the right length with the right size turn ups, with ultra thin braces. Your Crombie or Tonic jacket, had to have a silk handkerchief with a tie tack and you had to only have the top button done up on your jacket but your Ben Sherman or Brutus had to have the top button on done. Loafers and brogues has to have the heels quartered plus blakies.
Saturdays were a great opportunity to see what was new fashion wise and then to save up for what seemed ages to get it at either the market or Stuarts. Great, great days in the Loft too. Many of the faces from back then I still see now.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

The story of skinheads. on 02:53 - Feb 23 with 3838 viewsOnlyMe

The story of skinheads. on 11:53 - Feb 17 by kingo

As you say, great days to be a youngster supporting the Rangers. Skinheads was a fashion with very precise rules governing what was correct or ‘tasty’ and what wasn’t. It was important that your Levi’s or Sta priest were the right length with the right size turn ups, with ultra thin braces. Your Crombie or Tonic jacket, had to have a silk handkerchief with a tie tack and you had to only have the top button done up on your jacket but your Ben Sherman or Brutus had to have the top button on done. Loafers and brogues has to have the heels quartered plus blakies.
Saturdays were a great opportunity to see what was new fashion wise and then to save up for what seemed ages to get it at either the market or Stuarts. Great, great days in the Loft too. Many of the faces from back then I still see now.

I'd forgotten about the Blakies. My Dad thought it an excellent sign that I was taking such steps to protect my shoes ;-}
The story of skinheads. on 03:05 - Feb 23 with 3816 viewsBoston

The story of skinheads. on 02:53 - Feb 23 by OnlyMe

I'd forgotten about the Blakies. My Dad thought it an excellent sign that I was taking such steps to protect my shoes ;-}

...and there's me thinking you'd taken up tap.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The story of skinheads. on 04:56 - Feb 23 with 3794 viewsOutWestR

The story of skinheads. on 22:51 - Feb 16 by Brightonhoop

10% discount for QPR members and season ticket holders

They celebrated their 50th anniversary last year and are very much going strong. It is pricey but their online sales are excellent and often the reductions are 40/50% original price.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024