Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Windrush 19:08 - Apr 23 with 19827 viewsBushman

Fckin shameful the way these people have been treated after they came to work here as commonwealth citizens and help rebuild Britain after WW2.

They also made up 15% of the population at the time.

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Windrush on 11:06 - May 3 with 3740 viewsQPR_John

Windrush on 23:50 - May 2 by FDC

You've lost me.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of withholding the documents and all governments like to hide things why bring up the question of the three line whip as if it is only the conservatives that do it.
Windrush on 11:20 - May 3 with 3729 viewsFDC

Windrush on 11:06 - May 3 by QPR_John

Whatever the rights and wrongs of withholding the documents and all governments like to hide things why bring up the question of the three line whip as if it is only the conservatives that do it.

I wasn't objecting to the three line whip per se. I'm saying it's use in this instance is pretty damning, and is very suggestive that May is worried about what might be unearthed.
Windrush on 11:28 - May 3 with 3719 viewsWanderR

Windrush on 03:53 - May 3 by isawqpratwcity

Do you really believe that?

Britain made her decisions about the Common Market in the sixties and seventies entirely on the basis of her own self-interest.

That was reversed in 2016, again, entirely predicated on her own perceived self-interest.

What kind of hayseed colonial bumpkins do you take us for?

I don't need to 'believe' anything; the Australian and New Zealand governments have said so publicly as did many others at CHGOM. That's why they're queuing up to make FTAs to kick in on day one. As for Britain's self-interest, who is disputing that?

Current location: OX10

Windrush on 12:48 - May 3 with 3670 viewsisawqpratwcity

Windrush on 11:28 - May 3 by WanderR

I don't need to 'believe' anything; the Australian and New Zealand governments have said so publicly as did many others at CHGOM. That's why they're queuing up to make FTAs to kick in on day one. As for Britain's self-interest, who is disputing that?

As a long-time resident of both countries I can 100% assure you that is complete bollox. We know damn well how much Britain thinks of us. SFA!

If that has been said then you can consider that the opening gambit of the trade negotiations; an appeal to sentiment, re-instatement of traditional ties, old-fashioned values...are you getting nauseous yet? I am.

Britain went into and came out of the EU entirely because it suited her. Paths diverged and the world moved on. Stuff like that doesn't unbreak. Over here, Brexit is a source of mystification and derision more than anything else. Sure we felt abandoned in the seventies, but we could see the cold logic of it and it made both countries resolve to not be dependent in the future. The closest you'd get to sympathy for Brexit over here is from the far-right who would applaud the anti-immigration sentiments.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Windrush on 15:02 - May 3 with 3609 viewsWanderR

Windrush on 12:48 - May 3 by isawqpratwcity

As a long-time resident of both countries I can 100% assure you that is complete bollox. We know damn well how much Britain thinks of us. SFA!

If that has been said then you can consider that the opening gambit of the trade negotiations; an appeal to sentiment, re-instatement of traditional ties, old-fashioned values...are you getting nauseous yet? I am.

Britain went into and came out of the EU entirely because it suited her. Paths diverged and the world moved on. Stuff like that doesn't unbreak. Over here, Brexit is a source of mystification and derision more than anything else. Sure we felt abandoned in the seventies, but we could see the cold logic of it and it made both countries resolve to not be dependent in the future. The closest you'd get to sympathy for Brexit over here is from the far-right who would applaud the anti-immigration sentiments.

I suspect the current Liberal government would disagree with you. They are very keen on doing exactly that and turning back the clock; comprehensive free trade, easing of visa restrictions, increased military and security cooperation, etc..

Windrush on 16:15 - May 3 with 3563 viewsisawqpratwcity

Windrush on 15:02 - May 3 by WanderR

I suspect the current Liberal government would disagree with you. They are very keen on doing exactly that and turning back the clock; comprehensive free trade, easing of visa restrictions, increased military and security cooperation, etc..

Yeah, only free trade in that, with, as an aside, closer geopolitics. Nothing about "very happy about Brexit as it corrects what they see as an historical wrong."

He really is an oleaginous creep, that bloke. Still, good on him for making free trade promos for British consumption where he mentions the cricket and has "Waltzing Matilda" playing wistfully in the background. His prostitution is normally a bit less overt...

Windrush on 16:44 - May 3 with 3540 viewsWanderR

Windrush on 16:15 - May 3 by isawqpratwcity

Yeah, only free trade in that, with, as an aside, closer geopolitics. Nothing about "very happy about Brexit as it corrects what they see as an historical wrong."

He really is an oleaginous creep, that bloke. Still, good on him for making free trade promos for British consumption where he mentions the cricket and has "Waltzing Matilda" playing wistfully in the background. His prostitution is normally a bit less overt...

I would've thought it's pretty self-evident; the historical wrong being the UK turning away from the Commonwealth and towards Europe. The direction of travel is now being reversed and they're first in line to reap the benefits.

Agree that Downer is a bit of a weirdo. Posh boys don't do well in Oz. He's still chaffing that Abbott wasn't around long enough to give him a knighthood like Dad.

Windrush on 18:04 - May 3 with 3493 viewsisawqpratwcity

Windrush on 16:44 - May 3 by WanderR

I would've thought it's pretty self-evident; the historical wrong being the UK turning away from the Commonwealth and towards Europe. The direction of travel is now being reversed and they're first in line to reap the benefits.

Agree that Downer is a bit of a weirdo. Posh boys don't do well in Oz. He's still chaffing that Abbott wasn't around long enough to give him a knighthood like Dad.

No, I still think you overreached. There were still deep Empire/Commonwealth ties, even after Churchill gave up the Pacific as a fight too far away in WWII. My Social Studies teacher in Auckland in 1970 couldn't conceive that the British housewife could function without Canterbury Lamb and Anchor Butter. Everybody soon found that out that she could.

Even if we were just talking about trade, and not some deeper, familial, mutual obligation that was lost, at best Brexit would only give the opportunity to re-establish trade ties. There would be no automatic resumption of free trade.

After Abbott re-instated knighthoods, and gave the second one to the Duke of Edinburgh, there was no way the Australian public were ever going to let him give away a third. The man had the ear of a majority of the Australian electorate on just enough issues to get by, but I can't remember the last time I've seen a politician so badly misread public opinion. It didn't cause the return of the "Punch A Pom A Day" campaign, but wasn't far short of it.

Anyway, the position of High Commissioner to the UK is easily as good as a K, and was also something else his Dad had. That must have been the only reason AD went for the UK job, because as Foreign Minister he spent so much of his time sucking up to Gee Dubya Bush that I thought Washington was where he'd end up.

Login to get fewer ads

Windrush on 00:12 - May 25 with 3318 viewsWanderR

Windrush on 18:04 - May 3 by isawqpratwcity

No, I still think you overreached. There were still deep Empire/Commonwealth ties, even after Churchill gave up the Pacific as a fight too far away in WWII. My Social Studies teacher in Auckland in 1970 couldn't conceive that the British housewife could function without Canterbury Lamb and Anchor Butter. Everybody soon found that out that she could.

Even if we were just talking about trade, and not some deeper, familial, mutual obligation that was lost, at best Brexit would only give the opportunity to re-establish trade ties. There would be no automatic resumption of free trade.

After Abbott re-instated knighthoods, and gave the second one to the Duke of Edinburgh, there was no way the Australian public were ever going to let him give away a third. The man had the ear of a majority of the Australian electorate on just enough issues to get by, but I can't remember the last time I've seen a politician so badly misread public opinion. It didn't cause the return of the "Punch A Pom A Day" campaign, but wasn't far short of it.

Anyway, the position of High Commissioner to the UK is easily as good as a K, and was also something else his Dad had. That must have been the only reason AD went for the UK job, because as Foreign Minister he spent so much of his time sucking up to Gee Dubya Bush that I thought Washington was where he'd end up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44210833

We'll have to disagree on that. The concept of the UK being the 'mother country' is gone and won't be coming back but cooperation as equal partners already goes on a large scale and can only increase post-Brexit; free trade deals with Australia and NZ are already done and dusted in principle.

Knighting the DoE was the start of the end for Abbott. I understand HRH was intensively embarrassed about the idea. Mike Rann was unceremoniously ditched early by Abbott in favour of Downer. I can only presume it was his preferred posting.

Windrush on 01:07 - May 25 with 3262 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Windrush on 02:35 - May 25 with 3238 viewsitsbiga

I lived on Effra Rd, just off Windrush Sq in Brixton for about 8 years.....
[Post edited 25 May 2018 2:36]

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Windrush on 11:11 - May 25 with 3147 viewsderbyhoop

Windrush on 00:12 - May 25 by WanderR

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44210833

We'll have to disagree on that. The concept of the UK being the 'mother country' is gone and won't be coming back but cooperation as equal partners already goes on a large scale and can only increase post-Brexit; free trade deals with Australia and NZ are already done and dusted in principle.

Knighting the DoE was the start of the end for Abbott. I understand HRH was intensively embarrassed about the idea. Mike Rann was unceremoniously ditched early by Abbott in favour of Downer. I can only presume it was his preferred posting.

Apologies for breaking in to your public discussion with Isaw ...
From my visits to Australia the country is far more oriented towards SE Asia and China than it is to the UK. There is still some connection to the UK but usually from those who emigrated from here in the last 40 years.

And, on the political side, the EU has opened discussions with Aus and NZ re FTAs, well ahead of the UK being able to do so.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Windrush on 15:09 - May 29 with 3009 viewsWanderR

Windrush on 11:11 - May 25 by derbyhoop

Apologies for breaking in to your public discussion with Isaw ...
From my visits to Australia the country is far more oriented towards SE Asia and China than it is to the UK. There is still some connection to the UK but usually from those who emigrated from here in the last 40 years.

And, on the political side, the EU has opened discussions with Aus and NZ re FTAs, well ahead of the UK being able to do so.

Trade wise perhaps, but political and culturally Australia remains very much part of the Anglosphere.

The FTA between the EU and Canada still hasn't come into force, nearly ten years after negotiations started. The FTA between the US and Australia was done and dusted in less than two.

Windrush on 12:37 - Aug 29 with 2464 viewsTacticalR

Cameron and May in the middle of it all.

'The former cabinet minister David Laws describes in his memoir a now-notorious heated discussion during a session of the Matbaps (Migrant Access To Benefits And Public Services) committee in 2013, during which some of what would become the central measures of the "hostile environment" policy were met with a cool response.'

'Cameron was disappointed by the less than enthusiastic response to the new approach and reportedly stormed out.'

Hostile environment: anatomy of a policy disaster
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/27/hostile-environment-anatomy-of-a

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024