Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England Squad 14:09 - May 16 with 9545 viewssimmo

Goalkeepers: Butland, Pickford, Pope

Defenders: Alexander-Arnold, Cahill, Delph, Jones, Maguire, Rose, Stones, Trippier, Walker, Young.

Midfielders: Alli, Dier, Henderson, Lingard, Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Vardy, Welbeck

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

England Squad on 15:34 - May 16 with 2541 viewsLythamR

England Squad on 15:24 - May 16 by Tonto

usually around this time of the football calandar, there is a right old hoo ha as the Englnd manager relesaes his squad (remember the time Gzza was left out?)

This time, there is a bit of debate about Shelvey and the 3rd reserve keeper. Whic either suggests Southgate has got it pretty much spot on or no one cares anymore.

No Rooney, No Lmpard, No RM No Hart

Whats not to like

Personally i would have liked to see Wilshire in, I cant get excited by Loftus-Cheek . but other than that nothing really contentious.
England Squad on 15:36 - May 16 with 2533 viewsMick_S

England Squad on 15:21 - May 16 by rsonist

Rose has been awful though. Bertrand deserved the call.

Clearly we're playing five defenders every game - Walker will be CB again.

Would absolutely have given Welbeck's place to Solanke, Lookman, Sancho, Calvert-Lewin etc never mind Austin of course.

Likewise Cahill for Dunk, Mawson, Lascelles.

Gareth's cut deep but still didn't go far enough.

Mawson having a minor operation, so unnavailable. I'd have liked to see him out there, too.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

England Squad on 15:43 - May 16 with 2497 viewsstevec

And how did he get picked
England Squad on 15:45 - May 16 with 2486 viewsMick_S

England Squad on 15:43 - May 16 by stevec

And how did he get picked

Maybe we're going to end up...

Nah, can't do it.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

England Squad on 15:46 - May 16 with 2476 viewskensalriser

Wellbeck's 15 in 37 for England, which isn't bad even if most of them weren't exactly against the giants of international football.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England Squad on 15:56 - May 16 with 2434 viewspaulparker

England Squad on 15:26 - May 16 by Northernr

Or the pool has shrunk to such an extent that there's not much of a choice to make.

we have been unlucky with injuries as well, Ox, Winks Lallana could have fit that role
we also have Foden & Cook who in the next few years could hopefully make the breakthrough , its a shame Ward -prowse was out of form this season as he is a loverly little player

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England Squad on 15:56 - May 16 with 2432 viewsstevec

England Squad on 15:45 - May 16 by Mick_S

Maybe we're going to end up...

Nah, can't do it.

In that group, they could pick you or me and still come top.
England Squad on 16:20 - May 16 with 2393 viewsloftinspace

Decent squad. Southgates main problem has always been lack of width in the final third, this dates back to Villa days. May explain why he's covered himself in that department. Welbeck is such a confidence player that he's always gonna be a punt. Otherwise tidy looking piece of paper.
Login to get fewer ads

England Squad on 16:38 - May 16 with 2356 viewstraininvain

England Squad on 15:56 - May 16 by stevec

In that group, they could pick you or me and still come top.

Think you might be underestimating Belgium!

That said, we might be better off finishing 2nd if it means we avoid Colombia.
England Squad on 16:46 - May 16 with 2341 viewsAntti_Heinola

England Squad on 14:16 - May 16 by paulparker

Why so many Defenders ?

don't get me wrong I like Trent alexander Arnold but an attacking place should have gone to either Grealish, Sancho, Lookman or Sessagnon that feels like a place wasted to me

Still fair play to southgate though he hasnt picked the same old, same old , he hasn't picked injury prone players or players who haven't performed , we have a decent chance now

I guess he's not such an FA yes man then mate? The quiet reformer.
Always think it's a bit pointless debating places 20-23, because they're so unlikely to even get game time, let alone make a genuine impact. I saw Lookman at charlton and he was class, but not seen much since. Grealish is ok, but nowhere near international class. Sessegnon is really exciting, but did very little against Derby in either match - they shackled him well. A World Cup tournament at the end of a very long season for him I don't think would do him any good. Two years time, yes.
But one thing I totally disagree on paul - 'we have a decent chance' - at what? Getting out the group? Yes. Beyond that - QFs would, as usual, be a good performance. Absolutely zero chance of winning it.

Bare bones.

England Squad on 17:00 - May 16 with 2309 viewsCroydonCaptJack

England Squad on 15:34 - May 16 by LythamR

No Rooney, No Lmpard, No RM No Hart

Whats not to like

Personally i would have liked to see Wilshire in, I cant get excited by Loftus-Cheek . but other than that nothing really contentious.

Loftus Cheek has looked good every time I have seen him this season.
England Squad on 17:01 - May 16 with 2307 viewsbob566

think these guys will win the whole thing. Never knew Leroy Sane was German. Always assumed he was French.

Bernd Leno, Manuel Neuer, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Kevin Trapp, Jerome Boateng, Matthias Ginter, Jonas Hector, Mats Hummels, Joshua Kimmich, Marvin Plattenhardt, Antonio Rudiger, Niklas Sule, Jonathan Tah, Julian Brandt, Julian Draxler, Mario Gomez, Leon Goretzka, Ilkay Gundogan, Sami Khedira, Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Mesut Ozil, Nils Petersen, Marco Reus, Sebastian Rudy, Leroy Sane, Timo Werner
England Squad on 18:03 - May 16 with 2243 viewsqprd

its really sad that these are the best central midfielders and centerbacks that England can produce at the moment. I rate Maguire very highly, but a lot to ask of a guy with so little international experience. stones is a great passer, but not sure butland/cahill are going to want the ball on the floor under pressure from stones who has been trained to never punt it long.... also a bit error prone for my liking

Southgate wont do it, but id like to see:

Butland
Walker-Stones-Cahill-Rose
Henderson-Dier (Dier dropping to CB when Walker/Rose get forward)
Sterling-Alli-Rashford
Kane

In reality, I think Southgate is going with the wingback system, which is pointless when it involves moving the best RB in the premier league to rcb
England Squad on 18:31 - May 16 with 2230 viewsHAYESBOY

Would have taken Wiltshire over Loftus Cheek but other than that it is about right IMO.

Smells like a trout farm in here

England Squad on 19:45 - May 16 with 2164 viewsdannyblue

England Squad on 18:03 - May 16 by qprd

its really sad that these are the best central midfielders and centerbacks that England can produce at the moment. I rate Maguire very highly, but a lot to ask of a guy with so little international experience. stones is a great passer, but not sure butland/cahill are going to want the ball on the floor under pressure from stones who has been trained to never punt it long.... also a bit error prone for my liking

Southgate wont do it, but id like to see:

Butland
Walker-Stones-Cahill-Rose
Henderson-Dier (Dier dropping to CB when Walker/Rose get forward)
Sterling-Alli-Rashford
Kane

In reality, I think Southgate is going with the wingback system, which is pointless when it involves moving the best RB in the premier league to rcb

Astonishing! I was doodling around and that's almost exactly the team I came up with. I just had Vardy in for Rashford and probably wouldn't have chosen Butland but not because of any great conviction. I think we have the players to succeed in the spurs style. Sold defensive four in the middle, fast wing backs pushing up, press from the front.
England Squad on 23:48 - May 16 with 2058 viewsPeterHucker

I think it's the best squad he could've picked under the circumstances.
Shelvey is too much a liability and none of the other players like him anyway.
Jack Wiltshire peaked years ago.
The biggest problem for England is Lallana being injured because he's arguably been England's best player in the last couple of years.
We should start with both Vardy and Kane but we definitely won't.

Once we get to the knockout stages we'll do what we usually do: get knocked out as soon as we come up against anybody half decent.

That amazing statistic that always gets mentioned before a major tournament: since 1966 England have only ever won 6 knockout games in major tournaments......

Paraguay (World Cup 1986)
Belgium & Cameroon (World Cup 1990)
Spain (Euro 1996)
Denmark (World Cup 2002)
Ecuador (World Cup 2006)
England Squad on 03:47 - May 17 with 2012 viewsozexile

England Squad on 23:48 - May 16 by PeterHucker

I think it's the best squad he could've picked under the circumstances.
Shelvey is too much a liability and none of the other players like him anyway.
Jack Wiltshire peaked years ago.
The biggest problem for England is Lallana being injured because he's arguably been England's best player in the last couple of years.
We should start with both Vardy and Kane but we definitely won't.

Once we get to the knockout stages we'll do what we usually do: get knocked out as soon as we come up against anybody half decent.

That amazing statistic that always gets mentioned before a major tournament: since 1966 England have only ever won 6 knockout games in major tournaments......

Paraguay (World Cup 1986)
Belgium & Cameroon (World Cup 1990)
Spain (Euro 1996)
Denmark (World Cup 2002)
Ecuador (World Cup 2006)

Wow rewatch the Iceland game. If that's Wilshere at his peak then I'd hate to see him in a form slump. Isn't he off for his annual 4 weeks in Vegas anyway?
England Squad on 08:21 - May 17 with 1936 viewswillis1980

England Squad on 17:01 - May 16 by bob566

think these guys will win the whole thing. Never knew Leroy Sane was German. Always assumed he was French.

Bernd Leno, Manuel Neuer, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Kevin Trapp, Jerome Boateng, Matthias Ginter, Jonas Hector, Mats Hummels, Joshua Kimmich, Marvin Plattenhardt, Antonio Rudiger, Niklas Sule, Jonathan Tah, Julian Brandt, Julian Draxler, Mario Gomez, Leon Goretzka, Ilkay Gundogan, Sami Khedira, Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Mesut Ozil, Nils Petersen, Marco Reus, Sebastian Rudy, Leroy Sane, Timo Werner

It’ll be interesting to see what happens re. Özil and Gündogan, since the Erdogan meeting in London and Özils alleged refusal to sing the national Anthem there have been calls for them to be dropped from the side by some of the press and public. I doubt Özil would be missed to be honest, Gündogans absence would be a different story
England Squad on 09:10 - May 17 with 1905 viewsGroveR

I'd fancy Reus for golden boot but Germany's group has strong teams.
England Squad on 10:23 - May 17 with 1838 viewsderbyhoop

Difficult to quibble given the paucity of options.

Is Smalling injured? If not, I'd have taken him ahead of Cahill.

They'll probably, not definitely, get out of the group but that's likely to be it.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

England Squad on 11:50 - May 17 with 1804 viewssimmo

England Squad on 10:23 - May 17 by derbyhoop

Difficult to quibble given the paucity of options.

Is Smalling injured? If not, I'd have taken him ahead of Cahill.

They'll probably, not definitely, get out of the group but that's likely to be it.

Definitely would have taken Lascelles myself, ahead of Cahill but definitely ahead of Smalling.

England Squad on 11:54 - May 17 with 1799 viewssimmo

I like this formation and system, especially for the first few games. Dier pusing into midfield when we're in possession and Loftus-Cheek supporting the attacks, or staying where he is and letting Walker bomb on to overload the right. Ideally we'd like a better / more proven version of Loftus-Cheek for that position but the fact he has played variations of DM/CM/AM means he shouldn't be exposed in or put of possession.

Against Belgium I'd have something a little more conservative with counter attacking and pace as the priority (you're not going to get much change out of Alderwiereld and Vertonghen with crosses, etc). Something like this.

England Squad on 12:39 - May 17 with 1765 viewsngbqpr

England Squad on 16:46 - May 16 by Antti_Heinola

I guess he's not such an FA yes man then mate? The quiet reformer.
Always think it's a bit pointless debating places 20-23, because they're so unlikely to even get game time, let alone make a genuine impact. I saw Lookman at charlton and he was class, but not seen much since. Grealish is ok, but nowhere near international class. Sessegnon is really exciting, but did very little against Derby in either match - they shackled him well. A World Cup tournament at the end of a very long season for him I don't think would do him any good. Two years time, yes.
But one thing I totally disagree on paul - 'we have a decent chance' - at what? Getting out the group? Yes. Beyond that - QFs would, as usual, be a good performance. Absolutely zero chance of winning it.

Good point, I read an article (sorry can't remember where) saying that in the last few tournos, an average of around 12.6 of the 23 had game time.

Odds on 9 or 10 of those named won't even get on the pitch for 5 minutes.

Personally I'd like to have seen one of Shelvey (much improved disciplinary record over last 6 months, arguably Rafa has sorted him out) or Wilshere (proved his fitness this season)...but I suspect the system he's looking to play isn't reliant on a player like that.

Guessing he's going for a dynamic Liverpool style front 3 with midfield solidity behind them.

Would have liked to see Lascelles ahead of Cahill.

Doubt Welbeck will see much game time...but his England scoring record is decent...and in terms of defending from the front, he'll work his socks off in the event we're trying to close out a game

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

England Squad on 12:47 - May 17 with 1762 viewsToast_R

I'm rather perplexed that the England page of my Panini Sticker Album needs about 10 amendments.
England Squad on 12:53 - May 17 with 1758 viewsbob566

Cahill is absolute gash and that's not a dig because he plays for them. He's terrible. Stones I'm not convinced either.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024