Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England Squad 14:09 - May 16 with 9668 viewssimmo

Goalkeepers: Butland, Pickford, Pope

Defenders: Alexander-Arnold, Cahill, Delph, Jones, Maguire, Rose, Stones, Trippier, Walker, Young.

Midfielders: Alli, Dier, Henderson, Lingard, Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Vardy, Welbeck

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

England Squad (n/t) on 12:58 - May 17 with 1961 viewsMick_S

England Squad on 12:47 - May 17 by Toast_R

I'm rather perplexed that the England page of my Panini Sticker Album needs about 10 amendments.

[Post edited 17 May 2018 13:47]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

England Squad on 13:09 - May 17 with 1937 viewsFDC

England Squad on 11:54 - May 17 by simmo

I like this formation and system, especially for the first few games. Dier pusing into midfield when we're in possession and Loftus-Cheek supporting the attacks, or staying where he is and letting Walker bomb on to overload the right. Ideally we'd like a better / more proven version of Loftus-Cheek for that position but the fact he has played variations of DM/CM/AM means he shouldn't be exposed in or put of possession.

Against Belgium I'd have something a little more conservative with counter attacking and pace as the priority (you're not going to get much change out of Alderwiereld and Vertonghen with crosses, etc). Something like this.

If Young plays I'll find it very hard to get behind England tbh.
England Squad on 13:11 - May 17 with 1927 viewsElHoop

Looks an OK squad to me. I can't have Shelvey - looks like a definite contender for any World Cup of thick looking blokes sitting about looking thick but otherwise he can stay at home.

Usually we have somebody injured or recovering from injury and it's all about that at this stage. Most of our good players haven't been overplayed this season, or they've had the odd injury to give them a break. In that respect I'm optimistic that we'll have a bit more energy compared to recent disasters. I'm not thinking that we'll win it but I wouldn't say that it was absolutely impossible either. It's possible to overachieve every now and then.
England Squad on 13:23 - May 17 with 1899 viewssimmo

England Squad on 13:09 - May 17 by FDC

If Young plays I'll find it very hard to get behind England tbh.

Unfortunately he's been the best performing English LWB this season, especially ahead of Rose and Bertrand, who haven't really played/started many games.

I'm beyond hating individuals in this England team though, now we've lost the likes of Terry, etc I am gonna just support them and worry about him being a cheating diving cnt once he's back in a United shirt.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

England Squad on 14:22 - May 17 with 1854 viewsPhilmyRs

England Squad on 13:23 - May 17 by simmo

Unfortunately he's been the best performing English LWB this season, especially ahead of Rose and Bertrand, who haven't really played/started many games.

I'm beyond hating individuals in this England team though, now we've lost the likes of Terry, etc I am gonna just support them and worry about him being a cheating diving cnt once he's back in a United shirt.

Would worry about the left side with Young playing, Not one left footed player in the team which would affect the balance of the side. Rose seemed to be coming into a bit of form in the last two games and is more willing to go on the outside which is always useful when you have a lack of width from your midfield/attack.

I think the squad's ok, not many options for the Manager but agree with others that the main issue is potentially the lack of a controlling influence in the middle of the park - someone that can put their foot on the ball and dictate the tempo and find some of our more creative/dangerous players between the lines. With Dier and Henderson you get workrate/tackling and physicality but they play it simple, look to retain possession etc although Henderson does have a decent ball in the locker. You feel the dangerous, pacey players (Sterling/Rashford) don't get the service into them quick enough or of the right quality. Shelvey may of added to that but can understand his omission. Also with a more ball playing backline, particularly with Stones being confident to step in and play, it may not be as big an issue as it would be if you had a Smalling and Cahill partnership.
[Post edited 17 May 2018 14:23]
England Squad on 14:49 - May 17 with 1831 viewsNorthernr

One aspect I have enjoyed is that Loftus Cheek who Chelsea bombed out on loan is in, but Barkley and Drinkwater who they spent £50m on are not. If anything summed up their player hoarding, ridiculous loan policy and total lack of transition from youth to first team it's surely that.
England Squad on 13:00 - May 22 with 1644 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Harry Kane named captain.

Always wise to name a striker apparently, as captains get more pens and sympathy from refs statistically.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44208841
England Squad on 13:47 - May 22 with 1598 viewspaulparker

England Squad on 14:49 - May 17 by Northernr

One aspect I have enjoyed is that Loftus Cheek who Chelsea bombed out on loan is in, but Barkley and Drinkwater who they spent £50m on are not. If anything summed up their player hoarding, ridiculous loan policy and total lack of transition from youth to first team it's surely that.

Barkley has truly fcuked himself now by going to Chelsea , he was a wonderful talent and should be in that squad he could have been our answer in centre midfield
instead he is just turning up for training and going home of an evening , yes the money is great but your a player play the game ffs its a short career , Drinkwater is the same yes he should have been annoyed at getting canned for Wilshire in 2016 but you were the premier league winning linchpin and now your the new steven sidwell ,
I have great admiration for these lads like Sancho, Oxford, Lookman , Bennett who have said sod this we are going to play abroad and get some games instead of just collecting the coin and sitting on our arses

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

England Squad on 13:53 - May 22 with 1592 viewsNorthernr

England Squad on 13:47 - May 22 by paulparker

Barkley has truly fcuked himself now by going to Chelsea , he was a wonderful talent and should be in that squad he could have been our answer in centre midfield
instead he is just turning up for training and going home of an evening , yes the money is great but your a player play the game ffs its a short career , Drinkwater is the same yes he should have been annoyed at getting canned for Wilshire in 2016 but you were the premier league winning linchpin and now your the new steven sidwell ,
I have great admiration for these lads like Sancho, Oxford, Lookman , Bennett who have said sod this we are going to play abroad and get some games instead of just collecting the coin and sitting on our arses

Absolutely mate, word for word where I am. Career wise you're asking for everything you get by going to Chelsea. You'll get rich, no doubt, so if that's what you want then knock yourself out, but don't be bitching and moaning about lack of games, missing out on World Cups etc, because literally dozens and dozens of players before you showed you exactly what would happen going right back to Scott Parker who was absolutely outstanding for Charlton and then chose to disappear for two years rather than play some football.

Like you, absolutely loving these talented young kids saying 'fck this' to the Premier League and going to Germany where the coaching is on another level and you actually get to play some football. Rhian Brewster rumoured to be next.

This post has been edited by an administrator
England Squad on 14:11 - May 22 with 1563 viewspaulparker

England Squad on 13:53 - May 22 by Northernr

Absolutely mate, word for word where I am. Career wise you're asking for everything you get by going to Chelsea. You'll get rich, no doubt, so if that's what you want then knock yourself out, but don't be bitching and moaning about lack of games, missing out on World Cups etc, because literally dozens and dozens of players before you showed you exactly what would happen going right back to Scott Parker who was absolutely outstanding for Charlton and then chose to disappear for two years rather than play some football.

Like you, absolutely loving these talented young kids saying 'fck this' to the Premier League and going to Germany where the coaching is on another level and you actually get to play some football. Rhian Brewster rumoured to be next.

I don't blame Brewster one jot for going , here is a lad who was the top scorer in a world cup yet comes home and goes straight back to the academy his confidence would have been sky high yet is ignored , if he was German , Italian or Spanish he would be in the first team of the club he was at and would have the likes of like man utd, city, Chelsea after him , its the same with Solanke he was the top scorer in the under 20s and has struggled to get games if he was French he would be up top for Arsenal now
I read that man utd are after kluiverts lad at ajax and willing to pay 40 million , im not being funny I could think of 20 English kids better than him , they have rashford there yet he has gone backwards under Maureen
more and more of these lads need to leave and go to the German or say Dutch leagues my only concern with Southgate is he wont pick them as they don't play in the so called "best league in the world "

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England Squad on 14:44 - May 22 with 1508 viewsAntti_Heinola

England Squad on 14:11 - May 22 by paulparker

I don't blame Brewster one jot for going , here is a lad who was the top scorer in a world cup yet comes home and goes straight back to the academy his confidence would have been sky high yet is ignored , if he was German , Italian or Spanish he would be in the first team of the club he was at and would have the likes of like man utd, city, Chelsea after him , its the same with Solanke he was the top scorer in the under 20s and has struggled to get games if he was French he would be up top for Arsenal now
I read that man utd are after kluiverts lad at ajax and willing to pay 40 million , im not being funny I could think of 20 English kids better than him , they have rashford there yet he has gone backwards under Maureen
more and more of these lads need to leave and go to the German or say Dutch leagues my only concern with Southgate is he wont pick them as they don't play in the so called "best league in the world "

This'll be the Solanke that just scored his first goal for Liverpool after 27 apps, yes?

I actually do agree with you, paul, but like bosh, I think you often overstate the brilliance of the young players. Barkley in particular has never been better than a good prospect, hyped up to the extreme for reasons I've never been able to fathom.

Absolutely in agreement about the rest though. always baffled me why English players are so reticent to play abroad and broaden their horizons and skills and tactical knowledge. I think if they were playing regularly abroad, Southgate would absolutely pick them, if they were good enough. He's shown he's willing to make tough decisions. There's no real basis to doubt him on that score - yet.

I don't blame some players from going to bigger clubs - like delph, for example. Why not go, get a few medals and play a bit-part, then look elsewhere where you can play regularly? It was a poor move for Drinkwater, I have to say, who's never been anything other than a decent mid-table central midfielder who happened to play in a freak season next to the peerless Kante. I'm not sure who got the worse end of the deal - Barkley or Chelsea?

Bare bones.

England Squad on 14:59 - May 22 with 1496 viewspaulparker

England Squad on 14:44 - May 22 by Antti_Heinola

This'll be the Solanke that just scored his first goal for Liverpool after 27 apps, yes?

I actually do agree with you, paul, but like bosh, I think you often overstate the brilliance of the young players. Barkley in particular has never been better than a good prospect, hyped up to the extreme for reasons I've never been able to fathom.

Absolutely in agreement about the rest though. always baffled me why English players are so reticent to play abroad and broaden their horizons and skills and tactical knowledge. I think if they were playing regularly abroad, Southgate would absolutely pick them, if they were good enough. He's shown he's willing to make tough decisions. There's no real basis to doubt him on that score - yet.

I don't blame some players from going to bigger clubs - like delph, for example. Why not go, get a few medals and play a bit-part, then look elsewhere where you can play regularly? It was a poor move for Drinkwater, I have to say, who's never been anything other than a decent mid-table central midfielder who happened to play in a freak season next to the peerless Kante. I'm not sure who got the worse end of the deal - Barkley or Chelsea?

Solanke has played 27 games but he hasn't had a decent run of say 5/6 games on the spin, he has come in when they have rested Firminho and salah after the champions league or just played him in the cup he is basically in and out , these lads need to play all season , you will never know how a player does unless you give him a run of matches after all hasn't that been the crumbling about Holloway this year with Smyth, Bright, Furlong etc ?
wherever you agree or not I think Barkley was very good for 3 seasons before this year when god knows what has happened to him ,but for me him going to Chelsea has finished him as a player , Drinkwater should have stayed at Leicester and if he had he would be on the plane , both of them have gone for the money and yes you get a medal if you win a cup but you didn't play in the final so what use is that , its a token gesture,
Delph has come on leaps and bounds because he has a manager who wanted to coach him and develop him rather than the previous city managers who have a 2 year shelf life and wouldn't have the patience to coach a player into a new position ,
as for Southgate I hope your right , but i have a nagging doubt he wont, as he could and should have picked Sancho or Lookman for this squad imo rather than take an extra fullback

England Squad on 15:35 - May 22 with 1466 viewsLazyFan

England Squad on 13:53 - May 22 by Northernr

Or you could sign for QPR where they are skint and are forced to play up and coming youngsters who wish to play and learn their trade with a top international coach, an inspiring former premier league legend and other young players hungry for success who will put in the effort.

hmmm it'll never catch on.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

England Squad on 16:28 - May 22 with 1415 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

England Squad on 14:59 - May 22 by paulparker

Solanke has played 27 games but he hasn't had a decent run of say 5/6 games on the spin, he has come in when they have rested Firminho and salah after the champions league or just played him in the cup he is basically in and out , these lads need to play all season , you will never know how a player does unless you give him a run of matches after all hasn't that been the crumbling about Holloway this year with Smyth, Bright, Furlong etc ?
wherever you agree or not I think Barkley was very good for 3 seasons before this year when god knows what has happened to him ,but for me him going to Chelsea has finished him as a player , Drinkwater should have stayed at Leicester and if he had he would be on the plane , both of them have gone for the money and yes you get a medal if you win a cup but you didn't play in the final so what use is that , its a token gesture,
Delph has come on leaps and bounds because he has a manager who wanted to coach him and develop him rather than the previous city managers who have a 2 year shelf life and wouldn't have the patience to coach a player into a new position ,
as for Southgate I hope your right , but i have a nagging doubt he wont, as he could and should have picked Sancho or Lookman for this squad imo rather than take an extra fullback

I’m not sure I agree that you should play your young players all season week in week out. Fair enough if they’re clearly quality head and shoulders above everybody else but none of our youngsters are really like that. They’re all good prospects but no more than that at this stage. Look at the way Furlongs career has been managed to date. Came in and out of the side then came in this year clearly ready and made his place his own. Manning similar although there is more competition in his best positions so has found it harder keep his place. I read somewhere on here that (the award winning) Chris Ramsey thinks young players should be dipped in and out of the first team. I guess the theory is that you introduce them, see what they do well and what they do badly. Take them away encourage the good stuff and work on the bad. Repeat until they’re ready.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

England Squad on 17:34 - May 22 with 1376 viewsderbyhoop

Certainly true of QPR. The season just finished we needed to blood the youngsters. Whether they should have had a run of games, rather than 1 or 2, before being left out is questionable. But we don't see them day to day.
In the past, Gallen was clearly head and shoulders above most of his age group and had developed physically, so he could cope with the intimidation from senior opponents.
Langley also made an instant impact and was then given a run.
The only debutant who came close this year was probably little Smyth.
Others like Eze, Oteh, Chair, Kakay still have issues to be worked on.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024