Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cupski 2018 Thread 18:04 - May 20 with 99817 viewsLblock

I’ve been pretty non plussed about the Copa Mundial this year which is unusual as I’ve always loved it. Perhaps FIFA have contributed to my overall “fcuk it” view to the modern game, I’ve never felt so remote from a tournament Inger-Lund have been in.
Part of me hopes it lives up to the scam it is with Russia being awarded 317 penalties in the group stages, empty stadiums with Escape To Victory dubbed crowd cheering noises all capped off with a plucky squad of kids winning it so rhino nose becomes Sir Gareth

Current questions for those buzzing about it or who simply know:-

1. Any good Apps for iPhone anyone come across? (Preferably free)

2. Can anyone recommend a Fantasy Competition for the tournament? I’ve been asked to run one at work; think the Sun used to do a simple one; no idea if they are as I haven’t bought a newspaper this decade.

3. Any players people recommend sticking in above / hidden jems????

4. What fixtures do we think are ones to make an effort to watch out of the current group stages? May have to organise work schedule and ensure a regular spot in The Leicester Arms on Warwick Street for any midweek afternoon games

5. What nation picks up the Jules Rimet this year for you? I’m thinking probably Germany but the last time they tried to conquer all the Russia issue didn’t work out well for them

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:48 - May 23 with 4843 viewssimmo

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:07 - May 23 by Jeff

But, as a counter argument, Icardi is almost entirely a 'Penalty box forward' in that he doesn't do anything except score (i know how stupid that reads back, but think inzaghi etc.)

Messi, Aguero, Dybala and Higuain are all more rounded and complete forwards.

Plus, as mentioned, they haven't fallen out with Messi, which helps.

Nainggolan not making the Belgium squad is insane, but him Radja and Martinez fell out years ago because Nainggolan smokes and parties a bit too hard. Absolute nonsense that it's tactical though, he's one of the best box to box midfielders in the world!
[Post edited 23 May 2018 9:12]

No Nainggolan is absolute nonsense, as RBlock says that seems like Martinez letting his personal feelings get in the way of picking the best options. A shame...

Icardi is a certain type of striker but he's still the best they have IMO. Aguero is injury prone, Dybala will be incredible but atm is too inconsistent and Higuain doesn't tend to perform well enough and be clinical when it matters, especially for Argentina. I appreciate the extras that come with him are debateable, but surely you can find a place for one of the most prolific strikers in Europe...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:52 - May 23 with 4791 viewsTheChef

Should we manage to get out of our group then we'll get one of the top two teams in Group H which might not be too bad (probably one of Poland, Colombia or Senegal), so a place in the QFs is not impossible. After that though...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:08 - May 23 with 4770 viewsLunarJetman

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:08 - May 23 by Mick_S

My son bought 9 packets and gave up.

Good.

I'm talking about the free online collection mate, not the stickers....
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:37 - May 23 with 4729 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:08 - May 23 by LunarJetman

I'm talking about the free online collection mate, not the stickers....

I'll let him know L J - ta!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:18 - May 23 with 4665 viewskensalriser

Stickers are pony. This was more like it. Wonder if I still have mine. I'd barely started school so didn't have a clue who was who.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:02 - May 23 with 4620 viewsTacticalR

I was listening to a daft discussion on Five Live about whether England players 'really think' they can win the World Cup, and I thought why not focus on winning at least one game before thinking about anything else?

Air hostess clique

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 07:03 - May 25 with 4470 viewsfrancisbowles

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:18 - May 23 by kensalriser

Stickers are pony. This was more like it. Wonder if I still have mine. I'd barely started school so didn't have a clue who was who.

I've still got mine. In the loft with one on cars and one on flight, I think.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:55 - May 25 with 4419 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 07:03 - May 25 by francisbowles

I've still got mine. In the loft with one on cars and one on flight, I think.

Login to get fewer ads

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:36 - May 25 with 4394 viewsDannyPaddox

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:55 - May 25 by Mick_S

Bang up to date. The 'Peace Talks' coin:

What's that? Donny's written a Dear Jong letter!

Anyway back to the football. Have you seen the size of the Iranian Panini stickers?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:33 - May 25 with 4367 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:46 - May 25 with 4353 viewskensalriser

Trump not so good on creating jobs then. He's just put hundreds of satirists out of work.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:51 - May 25 with 4347 viewsDannyPaddox

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:33 - May 25 by Mick_S

That was my first thought too when I saw diplomat and world leader Donald Chumps signature.

So, the World Cup. Nigeria's shirts: An ECG reading when you've had too many Starbucks.

[Post edited 26 May 2018 7:59]
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:44 - May 25 with 4297 viewsLunarJetman

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:37 - May 23 by Mick_S

I'll let him know L J - ta!

No problem. its actually quite fun and more importantly, free.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 18:41 - May 25 with 4247 viewsLadbrokeR

6 where are we watching some of the England group games
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 18:43 - May 25 with 4245 viewsLadbrokeR

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:52 - May 23 by TheChef

Should we manage to get out of our group then we'll get one of the top two teams in Group H which might not be too bad (probably one of Poland, Colombia or Senegal), so a place in the QFs is not impossible. After that though...

It gets easier
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:34 - May 28 with 4133 viewsDorse

Engerland, Engerland, Engerland,
Engerland,
Engerland.

(Repeat as necessary)

Patriotic duty done.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:48 - May 28 with 4114 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Are England the only country sending a squad comprised solely of home based players?

All the other nations seem to have migrant workers returning to play for their motherlands. The Danish squad seems to have 15 blokes plying their trade in England.

Makes you 'kin proud that we're keeping it old skool! Of course, maybe the foreigners don't want/can't afford our yeoman, but hey-ho and another example of how young English talent finds it difficult to get on with all these foreign chaps filling out our Premiership squads.

That aside, not really arsed about the World Cup and I would think Gazza would bite your hand off at the prospect of making the quarters.

Safe travels to all going...rather you than me!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:12 - May 30 with 3995 viewsTopCat34

For all you style gurus, kits are out. Some decent numbers this year:

Mexico, Japan and Colombia are lovely:

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:36 - May 30 with 3978 viewsRblock_James

VAR will ruin it. Fact.

How can we even celebrate a goal immediately, knowing it's gotta be checked over first?

Absolute bollocks. Roll on The Championship.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:45 - May 30 with 3972 viewsLblock

One of my favourite World Cup moments

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:52 - May 30 with 3919 viewsStanisgod

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:18 - May 23 by kensalriser

I've got that set plus a few others from late sixties to early seventies. Unfortunately E Bay has killed any value for these sort of collections.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:25 - May 31 with 3859 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:52 - May 30 by Stanisgod

I've got that set plus a few others from late sixties to early seventies. Unfortunately E Bay has killed any value for these sort of collections.

Looking forward to it as ever, although much as I love it I still feel 32 teams makes it a bit bloated. Much better with 24 teams, that was the optimum number.

Watched a great doco on the History Channel last night on the Italia 90 England adventure, also touched on Ireland and Italy with some great stories told, worth catching on demand if you can.

http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/italia-90-england-stars-on-the-magic-of-turin-sir

Also reminded me of this which was brilliant:

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:09 - May 31 with 3826 viewsrobith

Is it me or are the group fixtures super underwhelming? Argentina vs Croatia and Spain vs Portugal and that's it really
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:18 - May 31 with 3818 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:09 - May 31 by robith

Is it me or are the group fixtures super underwhelming? Argentina vs Croatia and Spain vs Portugal and that's it really

Becoming like the Champions League, it only gets interesting in the knockout stages.

That said, I think shocks in the WC groups or more likely than in the CL groups, which are more or less governed by how much money a team has.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:41 - May 31 with 3783 viewsrobith

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:18 - May 31 by TheChef

Becoming like the Champions League, it only gets interesting in the knockout stages.

That said, I think shocks in the WC groups or more likely than in the CL groups, which are more or less governed by how much money a team has.

I quite fancy Senegal for rocking the apple cart in their group you know, they've some serious talent
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024