Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders 11:14 - Jun 4 with 2731 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/48157/end-of-term-
End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 15:30 - Jun 4 with 2376 viewsPinnerPaul

Really interesting point you make in Chair's piece about the prevalence of the 'number 10's in the modern game.

At the level I officiate at, across various competitions, what you say is so true.

Defenders have the skill to play out from the back and the other 6 outfield players can play some lovely football from there, BUT, it seems everyone must have gone home before the coaching staff got to 'The Penalty Area' and 'Goalscoring'.

I did one college match at Barnet FC in the spring, where the football was good - inventive, good pace, skilful - but hardly any goal attempts worthy of the name!

Watched 2 x England U17s matches at their recent tournament and although the standard much higher obviously, the same thing you mentioned - 10 ball players, but no 'proper' defenders/attackers was evident.

I'm sure you're correct in that it must be the modern coaching methods/'plan' that is the cause.

My only niggle is to pick you up on your comments made in the defenders/GK section - I'm not sure how a team that finished 16th can have a midfield 3, who played most of the season, all getting As , but its a minor/petty point really!
Cheers
End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 15:52 - Jun 4 with 2356 viewsNorthernr

End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 15:30 - Jun 4 by PinnerPaul

Really interesting point you make in Chair's piece about the prevalence of the 'number 10's in the modern game.

At the level I officiate at, across various competitions, what you say is so true.

Defenders have the skill to play out from the back and the other 6 outfield players can play some lovely football from there, BUT, it seems everyone must have gone home before the coaching staff got to 'The Penalty Area' and 'Goalscoring'.

I did one college match at Barnet FC in the spring, where the football was good - inventive, good pace, skilful - but hardly any goal attempts worthy of the name!

Watched 2 x England U17s matches at their recent tournament and although the standard much higher obviously, the same thing you mentioned - 10 ball players, but no 'proper' defenders/attackers was evident.

I'm sure you're correct in that it must be the modern coaching methods/'plan' that is the cause.

My only niggle is to pick you up on your comments made in the defenders/GK section - I'm not sure how a team that finished 16th can have a midfield 3, who played most of the season, all getting As , but its a minor/petty point really!
Cheers

On the final point, they're the only three A's I'm giving across the entire squad, so that fits in with the 16th thing I think.

On the main point, spoke to Andy Impey a while back about this (who of course coaches in our academy) and he was saying the same thing. Nobody's a winger any more, everybody wants to play ten, or cut inside. Think that's why they like Smyth so much, he burns players down the outside and delivers from the byline.
End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 15:59 - Jun 4 with 2347 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great report. Thanks for all the graft and craft, Clive.

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 16:22 - Jun 4 with 2313 viewsOldPedro

Re the coaching comments above, my daughter trains with a company that tries to improve kids to give them a chance of being picked up by a professional club academy and they place a lot of emphasis on players being coached to play in all positions. This does seem to result in players with good technical ability but a lack of knowledge in positional play because they keep moving them around. The only exception to this seems to be the goalkeepers who receive specific training.

What I find strange about this approach is most players seem to naturally favour a particular position. My daughter prefers to play on the wing and if she is asked to play another position centrally or up front, she usually ends up back on the wing as thats where she feels most comfortable.

My son also plays and in a under 11 game earlier this season, the coach decided to mix things up by moving everyone around (strikers in defence, midfielders up front, defenders in midfield). By the end of the game, most of the boys had naturally moved into their normal posistions without being told and the overall team performance improved.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 16:49 - Jun 4 with 2273 viewscaliforniahoop

End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 16:22 - Jun 4 by OldPedro

Re the coaching comments above, my daughter trains with a company that tries to improve kids to give them a chance of being picked up by a professional club academy and they place a lot of emphasis on players being coached to play in all positions. This does seem to result in players with good technical ability but a lack of knowledge in positional play because they keep moving them around. The only exception to this seems to be the goalkeepers who receive specific training.

What I find strange about this approach is most players seem to naturally favour a particular position. My daughter prefers to play on the wing and if she is asked to play another position centrally or up front, she usually ends up back on the wing as thats where she feels most comfortable.

My son also plays and in a under 11 game earlier this season, the coach decided to mix things up by moving everyone around (strikers in defence, midfielders up front, defenders in midfield). By the end of the game, most of the boys had naturally moved into their normal posistions without being told and the overall team performance improved.

Some great points in here, Freeman not passing to Pav, the 4-2-3-1sysyem suiting the squad but the funniest is “being the nicest person at a Jim Davison party”, I have to clean that coffee off the carpet now👏🏿😂😂
End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 10:50 - Jun 5 with 1754 viewsPlanetHonneywood

End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 16:22 - Jun 4 by OldPedro

I think some pro-teams intentionally do this. I am sure I read Ajax played a young Bergkamp centre-half for a year so that he'd get an idea what his opponents would be thinking. I also think Wham! did something similar with a young Rio, by playing him in midfield as a youth to enhance his overall playing ability before returning him to the defence.

Personally, I can see some advantages to it. A good young full-back might benefit from some time as a winger to enhance their attacking play and vice versa.

It might also see a player who thinks they're the mutt's nuts as a striker discover that they're actually better somewhere else on the pitch.

The key to it at a young age is that kids enjoy playing and maybe there might be something in that ten outfielders all over the place might need to talk more.

But interesting that you say that the players naturally gravitate back to where they prefer as the game goes on...shame Pav didn't do that as he might be in Russia as we speak.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 17:38 - Jun 5 with 1563 viewsrsonist

I don't know if I'd make a sweeping generalisation about its influence but it's definitely worth considering the changing (particularly urban) landscape of kids growing up without proper pitches and structured tutelage playing predominantly small-sided close-control cage football where the culture is that of technique and individualism and not formalised positional team play.

(Ironically of course it wasn't so long ago this country was bemoaning its players' lack of creativity and the FA were thinking about institutionalising Futsal to make us play more like the Brazilians (who meanwhile then themselves went away and cultivated the generation of cloggers THEY felt they didn't have). It's a fine and tricky balance for the academies to cultivate professionals without coaching the talent out of them in any case.)

In that vein I've always wavered a bit on the "we’re not in a position to be carrying a luxury player" line... of course it's not completely wrong necessarily (especially when you put it in those terms) but often, and very much so in Ollie's case I felt, it can be an easy punter-pleasing tubthumping soundbite to mask an ill-conceived tactical set-up to begin with. Eze could stand to close a bit of space down more certainly but beyond that I don't know how productive it is to expect much more - and at the end of the day the reason most clubs don't tend to set up with a "luxury" playmaker like Eze, Ravel, Adel isn't because they choose not to but because they simply don't grow on trees.

Side-note on Freeman: accurate appraisal but I'm left feeling a little bit more concerned about his drop in form and general conduct towards the end of the season than you seem to be. It's nothing to make a big deal about yet but something to keep an eye on for sure. Also perhaps we can say Freeman's earned the right to some extent but if it had been Eze behaving the same way... well, there would have been some predictable conversations.
End of Term Report 17/18 — Midfielders on 18:26 - Jun 5 with 1545 viewsextratimeR

Thanks Clive!

yes, good point, watching academy football you wonder if their going to "pass themselves to death".

Might be a good idea to make it compulsory for all academy players to watch Lee Cook video before start of match!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024