Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies to Cardiff 20:06 - Jun 25 with 44268 viewsMaggsinho

£4m apparently.

Smithies to Cardiff on 15:56 - Jun 28 with 3468 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think it’s possible to be disappointed about this transfer but still be pleased that the model is working. That’s where I am.
Smithies to Cardiff on 16:03 - Jun 28 with 3446 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Smithies to Cardiff on 15:34 - Jun 28 by simmo

Unless you think we couldn't have got more over the course of the market remaining open for another 6 weeks or by negotiating? My understanding is this was the first offer we received, all caveats about clauses being met aside, it smacks of panic selling.

I understand completely what market value means and if clubs refuse to meet his value then he shouldn't be sold.

Unless a clause was triggered?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Smithies to Cardiff on 16:35 - Jun 28 with 3384 viewsBasingstokeR

No-one knows if a clause was involved; but if there was one - why would anyone at the club agree to one so relatively low?
Smithies to Cardiff on 20:14 - Jun 28 with 3289 viewsQPR_John

Smithies to Cardiff on 16:35 - Jun 28 by BasingstokeR

No-one knows if a clause was involved; but if there was one - why would anyone at the club agree to one so relatively low?

Any such clause is really set by the player. If the club rejects the clause the player does not sign simple as that
Smithies to Cardiff on 20:35 - Jun 28 with 3258 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Cardiff on 13:39 - Jun 28 by simmo

The theory of selling a good player for more than we brought him for and promoting three very promising keepers in the process is exactly right and I advocated the same thing.

But the reality is we sold him for at least half his market value and worth.

Our business model relies on us maximising the potential and profit on our investments. Smithies is in his prime at 28 and has years left to run, he's a more valuable commodity than £3-4m so regardless of the fact we should have sold him, we've set a very low bar for negotiations and this doesn't bode particularly well for other players we might want to sell in the future, many of which will not be as good or have as long to run on their contracts.

It smacks of a panic sell, getting whatever money we can as quickly as we can so we can provide funds for Schteve.

Yeah I mean if this paltry sum somehow gives us negotiating leverage for our outfield players - where the real profit lies - then I'll grudgefully swallow it.

But if we just spend it on Chris Martin (do we even need someone like him let alone him in particular?) and end up continuing in this vein and selling Eze/Freeman for buttons too then we can all pack up and go home, we're toast.
Smithies to Cardiff on 20:45 - Jun 28 with 3248 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Cardiff on 13:01 - Jun 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think we need to revaluate our definition of bad business on here.

Signing a 35 year Julio Cesar on a four year deal on £XX,000 per week when we already have Rob Green and then loaning him to Toronto is fcking bad busness.

Selling a good player for more than we brought him for and promoting three very promising keepers in the process is great business to me.

Would we like more? Sure.

Usual posters bumming me out. Bad News Bandits.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2018 13:02]

Yes, it is great business compared to probably the stupidest deal in the most idiotic era of our history.

Yes, he did go for more than we bought him for, like every footballer that isn't an outright failure. Phwoar remember that time we TRIPLED our money on Sinclair?

Slow clap.
Smithies to Cardiff on 21:22 - Jun 28 with 3192 viewsonlyrinmoray

I know its just newspaper talk but Southampton are interested in Angus Gunn 22 year old Man C /Norwich in a deal that could be worth £15 million If I remember he was pretty crap ???
Smithies to Cardiff on 21:26 - Jun 28 with 3181 viewsPunteR

Smithies to Cardiff on 13:52 - Jun 28 by daveB

If no one else has shown an interest in 2 years perhaps this is his market value. He's a good keeper but looking at it from a non QPR point of view this is a player who has never played for a side in the top half of the championship so he's not going to command a big fee.

Looks like QPR have just about doubled their money on him and have players at the club ready to replace him which is a decent model to have.

If were going to be a selling club we need to sell players how we value the player not what other clubs think a player is worth.
Maybe there is a sell on clause though.?
Just, to the untrained eye like myself this doesn't really look like a great bit of business.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:53 - Aug 12 with 2869 viewsWoodlaneR

Looks like he is starting the season as the number 2 at Cardiff. Let's make use of this improved loan market the club was talking about......!
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:06 - Aug 12 with 2803 viewsTacticalR

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:53 - Aug 12 by WoodlaneR

Looks like he is starting the season as the number 2 at Cardiff. Let's make use of this improved loan market the club was talking about......!

We could have done with his penalty saving powers yesterday.

Air hostess clique

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:18 - Aug 12 with 2763 viewsWoodlaneR

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:06 - Aug 12 by TacticalR

We could have done with his penalty saving powers yesterday.

Yep..... although I'm sure the ref would've found a reason for a retake.
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:36 - Aug 12 with 2700 viewsQPR_John

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:53 - Aug 12 by WoodlaneR

Wonder how many games he will get this season. How many times does the substitute keeper get into the first team. Ask Ingram
Smithies to Cardiff on 12:05 - Aug 12 with 2555 viewsEsox_Lucius

One of the things I was talking to Lee Hoos about yesterday after the game was the managing of fans expectations regarding the parlous finances and lack of player activity; his response was that QPR are going to be alright now and the forseeable future but that a number of clubs like Sheff. Weds and Birmingham are in deep doo doo. He even told me & Dave that Birmingham put an offer in for one our players just before they received the paperwork from the FL outlining the restrictions on transfers etc. they would have to adhere to knowing full well that it would never happen but it does unsettle the player. Expanding the thoughts further, he went on to explain that there quite a few clubs who have/ are gambling on promotion and when it doesn't come off for them they will be unloading a lot of players on to the market on the cheap (as we appear to have done with Smithies) and that is when QPR can pick among the offcasts for bargains. It makes sense and, if it works, could prove a very profitable strategy.

The grass is always greener.

Smithies to Cardiff on 12:21 - Aug 12 with 2525 viewsLblock

But will those bargains want to play in League One?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Smithies to Cardiff on 12:32 - Aug 12 with 2487 viewscolinallcars

Smithies to Cardiff on 12:05 - Aug 12 by Esox_Lucius

One of the things I was talking to Lee Hoos about yesterday after the game was the managing of fans expectations regarding the parlous finances and lack of player activity; his response was that QPR are going to be alright now and the forseeable future but that a number of clubs like Sheff. Weds and Birmingham are in deep doo doo. He even told me & Dave that Birmingham put an offer in for one our players just before they received the paperwork from the FL outlining the restrictions on transfers etc. they would have to adhere to knowing full well that it would never happen but it does unsettle the player. Expanding the thoughts further, he went on to explain that there quite a few clubs who have/ are gambling on promotion and when it doesn't come off for them they will be unloading a lot of players on to the market on the cheap (as we appear to have done with Smithies) and that is when QPR can pick among the offcasts for bargains. It makes sense and, if it works, could prove a very profitable strategy.

It's all very well to say we could pick up said bargains but given that they were expensive enough to get the original club into FFP troubles, they, even at a much reduced price, would still be way out of our range.
Smithies to Cardiff on 17:08 - Aug 12 with 2232 viewsSimonJames

Smithies to Cardiff on 12:32 - Aug 12 by colinallcars

It's all very well to say we could pick up said bargains but given that they were expensive enough to get the original club into FFP troubles, they, even at a much reduced price, would still be way out of our range.

Also, the best ones (assuming they're not on big money contracts and just do an SWP) will likely be swept up by whatever clubs come down from the PL at the end of the season.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Smithies to Cardiff on 18:02 - Aug 12 with 2129 viewsEsox_Lucius

Smithies to Cardiff on 12:21 - Aug 12 by Lblock

But will those bargains want to play in League One?

You're relentless if nothing else.

The grass is always greener.

Smithies to Cardiff on 13:23 - Aug 13 with 1780 viewsconnell10

Smithies to Cardiff on 18:02 - Aug 12 by Esox_Lucius

You're relentless if nothing else.

Got a point though mate, think this is a gonna be a tough season I really do!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024