Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies to Cardiff 20:06 - Jun 25 with 43872 viewsMaggsinho

£4m apparently.

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:30 - Jun 26 with 3248 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:27 - Jun 26 by rsonist

Think Darren Randolph was bought for more last summer.

From West Ham - so technically a Premier League keeper.
Depressing though. I think Randolph is sht.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:33 - Jun 26 with 3240 viewsrsonist

I can't really imagine a situation where Ingram's been waiting his turn this long and ends up behind Lumley now the spot's available.

Either he starts the season #1 (to excel or be replaced after throwing a few in) or he's available too, surely.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:34 - Jun 26 with 3238 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think it’s sad that some posters have taken the opportunity to appear out of nowhere to revel in this.

I dub thee Bad News Bandits.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:36 - Jun 26 with 3230 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:30 - Jun 26 by Northernr

From West Ham - so technically a Premier League keeper.
Depressing though. I think Randolph is sht.

Smithies also a couple mil cheaper than Ashley Fletcher and nearly half the price of Sone Aluko. Merry Xmas everyone.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:37 - Jun 26 with 3219 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:36 - Jun 26 by rsonist

Smithies also a couple mil cheaper than Ashley Fletcher and nearly half the price of Sone Aluko. Merry Xmas everyone.

Well that's the crazy striker market as previously discussed in why we can't buy one atm. Absolutely ridiculous when you think of how many points Smithies has won us that he's half as much as somebody like Aluko. Goalkeepers terribly undervalued.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:40 - Jun 26 with 3196 viewsAntti_Heinola

Smithies to Cardiff on 08:42 - Jun 26 by jonno

What makes you think Brexit will make any difference to transfer dealings, or foreign players coming into the UK?

Freedom of movement curtailed? I don't think anyone knows yet the effect it will have. But if freedom of movement does go (which is not guaranteed, but is the main reason a lot of people voted to leave), then you couldn't sign a French player from a french league who isn't an international. I may be wrong, but it will almost certainly have some effect that no one really understands yet. Work permits will certainly become a struggle.

Bare bones.

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:42 - Jun 26 with 3178 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:37 - Jun 26 by Northernr

Well that's the crazy striker market as previously discussed in why we can't buy one atm. Absolutely ridiculous when you think of how many points Smithies has won us that he's half as much as somebody like Aluko. Goalkeepers terribly undervalued.

Yeah true. Bizarre market - never mind the meme outliers like Pickford, you look at Huddersfield who Smithies would probably have crawled back to and they're seemingly quite happy with Lossl making a tit out of himself every other week.

Will be interesting / painful seeing who Stoke go for and for how much if Butland leaves though. Probably the only other realistic buying club now Villa are skint.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:52 - Jun 26 with 3117 viewsAntti_Heinola

Also, we don't know it's £4m. And we'll never know.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:58 - Jun 26 with 3099 viewsterryb

It seems a realistic price to me & is more than we would receive for any other player. Freeman & Luongo £3 million max & no one elase above £2 million.

Just my view & I know some of you were quoting figures more than double these!

Alex can leave the club (if he chooses) with our thanks & will be welcome back at any time.
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:02 - Jun 26 with 3081 viewsTacticalR

Whatever the price, this is very concerning.

We've lost our central defence and now our keeper.

Air hostess clique

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:07 - Jun 26 with 3064 viewsdannyblue

At that price is must be a release clause, and perhaps one Warnock learnt about while he was with us (although I'm sure Smithies's agent will have been shouting about it too).
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:31 - Jun 26 with 2943 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:02 - Jun 26 by TacticalR

Whatever the price, this is very concerning.

We've lost our central defence and now our keeper.

Even with Smithies the defence as it stands is a relegation defence IMO, without him is a frightening prospect. Big month to come.
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:53 - Jun 26 with 2848 viewsWrightUp5hit___

£4M for Smithies. With the cash in (and it may be a release clause but I imagine it would be a money up front release) Tilt in from Blackpool, Horsfall from Kidderminster , Lumley and Ingram fight it out for the starting keeper role, and some serious defensive shape coaching from a respected organising / coaching team.

Job done
Smithies to Cardiff on 11:02 - Jun 26 with 2802 viewsngbqpr

90 odd posts.

Approx 80% of them speculating then judging.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Smithies to Cardiff on 11:08 - Jun 26 with 2770 viewsRangersw12

This seems like a good bit of business for us

We bought him for a reported 1 million and now selling him for a reported 4 million.

We should be able to reinvest in a problem position like central defence and we have two young decent keepers waiting in the wings , this is the future and I like it
[Post edited 26 Jun 2018 11:46]
Smithies to Cardiff on 11:37 - Jun 26 with 2660 viewsTonto

A shame, but it was invitable tha he would go sooner rather than later. My gut feeling is that £5M would be more appropriate, but none of us have any idea what ngotiations have taken place or what clauses are in contracts. £4M is still damn good profit, and we have some decent keepers in reserve.

We should be concentrating on how much of that will be reinvested in the team. A new CB please!

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Smithies to Cardiff on 11:52 - Jun 26 with 2599 viewsYorkRanger

I think a big part of the problem here is that Smithies hasnt attracted a lot of attention outside of our club. So whilst we all know how good he is, his value becomes understated.

This is our model now. £4m is £4m which hopefully we can spend wisely and it is a position where we seem to be quite strong.

Sorry to see him go but not really surprised how this looks like it is going to play out
Smithies to Cardiff on 11:58 - Jun 26 with 2568 viewsGloucs_R

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:53 - Jun 26 by WrightUp5hit___

£4M for Smithies. With the cash in (and it may be a release clause but I imagine it would be a money up front release) Tilt in from Blackpool, Horsfall from Kidderminster , Lumley and Ingram fight it out for the starting keeper role, and some serious defensive shape coaching from a respected organising / coaching team.

Job done

Still a massive risk....League One and National League North.

I read that we are after the Aussie Defender Trent Sainsbury. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/02/trent-sainsbury-australia-defen

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Smithies to Cardiff on 12:02 - Jun 26 with 2545 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Job done

I remember an article by I think Martin Keown and I think his points are still relevant today, in it he recounts the Arsenal back 4 days. If I remember the whole jist of the article is that individually they weren't the greatest but they were coached as a collective and that is what sometimes separates an average team and makes them good.
Smithies to Cardiff on 12:04 - Jun 26 with 2540 viewsMyke

Incredible negativity on here from the majority of posters. This is exactly what we are supposed to be doing - buying players in their pre-prime , getting a couple of good seasons out of them and selling them on for a profit, with a ready-made replacement waiting in the wings. As opposed to buying overpaid lazy 'superstars' looking for one last payday which is what got us into this mess in the first place.
Now the next step is the critical one - investing the money in a way that strengthens our team , which at the moment means central defenders.
Less of the doom and gloom guys, be happy for both Smithies and those charged with getting us back on an even keel , they are doing a hell of a job. You can expect more of the same - Luongo most likely - for similar money, which again represents a significant profit for us, which again must be invested wisely... and on and on it goes (hopefully)
Smithies to Cardiff on 12:06 - Jun 26 with 2527 viewsTacticalR

Interesting to see that belief in alchemy still flourishes.

Air hostess clique

Smithies to Cardiff on 12:13 - Jun 26 with 2495 viewsMedwayR

I'm not going to believe this based on a tweet, even if BBC have picked up on the tweet and reported it as news.

£4m is far too cheap, he's worth double that but I'd realistically expect £6m plus add-ons. If there is a clause for £4m then that'll be £4m up front which Cardiff could afford and it would be unlikely that they'd be willing to pay more just to spread the payments out.

However, it's still a step in the right direction. Signed for £750k-1m, a few exceptional seasons from him then sold on for a decent profit with 2 good prospects in line to replace him meaning that money can be spent elsewhere or just keep the club going.

Poll: Who’s better?

Smithies to Cardiff on 12:13 - Jun 26 with 2487 viewsWadR

The Randolph comparison rankles a little as, like Clive, I think Smithies is the superior keeper. But equally, Fabianski who is excellent and is a seasoned international with tons of Prem experience has gone for just £7m.

As already stated in this thread, keepers are near universally undervalued in this market - I think £4m is a little low but hardly a travesty.

We signed a player on reasonable wages, who saw QPR as a step up, got 3 fantastic years out of him, sold him for 3-4 times what we bought him for and now have two potentially very good replacements already at the club.

Wish Smithies well, hope he does brilliantly and is as well regarded as Pope and Heaton currently are in a year or two. Would be delighted if he got an England call up at some point.
Smithies to Cardiff on 12:34 - Jun 26 with 2367 viewsrsonist

Job done

Hadn't heard the Curtis Tilt rumour til you mentioned it. We really ought to be firmly in the drivers seat here...

Edit: also played in front of Lumley who was on loan there last season - they won POTY and runner-up respectively.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2018 12:38]
Smithies to Cardiff on 12:52 - Jun 26 with 2280 viewsspudoodles

He's a definite England player, £4m is a piss take, who accepted that??
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024