Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris martin 14:25 - Jun 28 with 12145 viewsdublinr

Anyone have anything positive to say about him? Might cheer us up a bit.

Chris martin on 20:19 - Jun 29 with 3477 viewshoopdog

I know it's off track but just seen m/borough and Stoke reported to have offered 15 m for mat Ritchie n/castle , and here we are reported in for a Tele tubby ,
Oh yes ffp is really fair isn't it ??
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 20:23]
Chris martin on 20:21 - Jun 29 with 3475 viewshoopdog

I know it's off track but just seen m/borough and Stoke reported to have offered 15 m for mat Ritchie n/castle , and here we are reported in for a Tele tubby ,
Oh yes ffp is really fair isn't it ??
Chris martin on 12:16 - Jun 30 with 3345 viewsterryb

Chris martin on 18:52 - Jun 29 by rsonist

Ah yes, this type of message board post never gets old.

No one participating in this discussion is privy to any concrete evidence of contractual negotiation. Shocking, I know. The (usually as reliable as it gets) source of the speculation is the WLS report here: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-want-derby-county-forward-and-two-defend

I'm assuming you're not suggesting that because we don't know for sure that McLaren's asked for one of his former players, it might actually be Penrice forcing the deal onto him.

No.

You have stated what you based your post on & that is all I asked. Thank you.

Perhaps I'm wrong that this is all bollox. Time will tell!
[Post edited 30 Jun 2018 12:33]
Chris martin on 16:12 - Jul 2 with 3123 viewsrichranger

Been 'left behind' when Derby go on 'warm weather' overseas trip. Is speculation that is because he is coming to us soon. Or maybe it's because he's shite.
Chris martin on 16:33 - Jul 2 with 3079 viewskingsburyR

I simply don't get it unless Matt Smith is the next one off.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Chris martin on 17:19 - Jul 2 with 3015 viewsBloomsburyR

Really don’t rate him so hopefully just lazy journalism..
As stated earlier, he is seemingly not much better than Smith.
I would rather see the money saved and a Sylla/Smyth partnership with Smith coming off the bench.
Chris martin on 18:36 - Jul 2 with 2873 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Chris martin on 17:19 - Jul 2 by BloomsburyR

Really don’t rate him so hopefully just lazy journalism..
As stated earlier, he is seemingly not much better than Smith.
I would rather see the money saved and a Sylla/Smyth partnership with Smith coming off the bench.

If we're going to play a possession style of football then a partnership containing Sylla, Smyth or Smith just isn't going to cut it for me. We'll need someone who can hold up play in the front line. I don't know if that player is Martin, I don't know much about him. He doesn't seem to be very popular on here for some reason that's for sure! Looks like a decent player going by his record. If fitness is his biggest problem surely that's something that can quite easily be worked on?
[Post edited 2 Jul 2018 18:37]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Chris martin on 18:42 - Jul 2 with 2852 viewsjoolsyp

Chris martin on 19:12 - Jun 29 by rsonist

By the by he's listed as travelling but has anyone actually spotted Sylla in these recent training photos...? I don't believe I have.

If he's off then there's at least some logic to the Martin interest (deeply flawed though it may be).

Sylla's there - in the video for Day Two.
Login to get fewer ads

Chris martin on 19:52 - Jul 2 with 2717 viewskensalriser

Scored 10 in 31 appearances for Fulham 2016-17 and 1 in 10 appearances for Reading in 2018.

No need for expert analytical abilities to see which way this trend is heading.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Chris martin on 20:18 - Jul 2 with 2661 viewsCiderwithRsie

Chris martin on 18:36 - Jul 2 by CliveWilsonSaid

If we're going to play a possession style of football then a partnership containing Sylla, Smyth or Smith just isn't going to cut it for me. We'll need someone who can hold up play in the front line. I don't know if that player is Martin, I don't know much about him. He doesn't seem to be very popular on here for some reason that's for sure! Looks like a decent player going by his record. If fitness is his biggest problem surely that's something that can quite easily be worked on?
[Post edited 2 Jul 2018 18:37]

"If fitness is his biggest problem surely that's something that can quite easily be worked on?"

I think he might be sending a message on the cause of the problem

Chris martin on 21:04 - Jul 2 with 2618 viewsBloomsburyR

Fair point re a more possession based style of play, Clive.
However, the pace and trickery of Smyth combined with Sylla’s ability to sniff out a goal seems like a good partnership.
I genuinely feel that the change in manager could improve Sylla this season through a bit of coaching and a run in the team.
Chris martin on 21:06 - Jul 2 with 2609 viewsderbyhoop

Chris martin on 20:18 - Jul 2 by CiderwithRsie

"If fitness is his biggest problem surely that's something that can quite easily be worked on?"

And, if he can't/won't get fit, he probably doesn't pas our character test.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Chris martin on 21:36 - Jul 2 with 2556 viewsGroveR

Chris martin on 20:18 - Jul 2 by CiderwithRsie

He's a fine set of chest bollòcks on him.
Chris martin on 21:39 - Jul 2 with 2551 viewsrsonist

Chris martin on 19:52 - Jul 2 by kensalriser

Scored 10 in 31 appearances for Fulham 2016-17 and 1 in 10 appearances for Reading in 2018.

No need for expert analytical abilities to see which way this trend is heading.

Hugill hardly prolific either in fairness.

Like CliveWilsonSaid er, said, it seems the idea is we're after a strong link man that might bring all our various attacking mids and wing forwards into play. Martin's not especially mobile to say the least and certainly doesn't press and stretch the defence but he did fulfil this role pretty well for McClaren at Derby. (In fact McClaren seems to be the only manager he hasn't just been a fat mardy lump for).

As other have said it does seem harsh on Smith - not because I'm ultra confident that Smith would be better at the job necessarily, but because he's the one already on our books and he's never really been given a proper chance to fail or succeed at it before we bring someone else in. More often than not the system's always left him pretty stranded on a hiding to nothing, but when he has had the right support - remember Smyth's debut when he read the flick and raced on - it's not like he's been this obvious weak link that we desperately need to upgrade.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2018 21:40]
Chris martin on 22:10 - Jul 2 with 2464 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Chris martin on 21:04 - Jul 2 by BloomsburyR

Fair point re a more possession based style of play, Clive.
However, the pace and trickery of Smyth combined with Sylla’s ability to sniff out a goal seems like a good partnership.
I genuinely feel that the change in manager could improve Sylla this season through a bit of coaching and a run in the team.

Like I said I'm not convinced by a Sylla/Smyth combination but if that's what we get then they'll get my support. If we sign Martin he'll get my support too. We don't need to reinvent the wheel to succeed in the championship. If we've got an opportunity to sign a tried and trusted (if off colour) championship striker for the right price/wages, I just can't see why people are so against it.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2018 22:11]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Chris martin on 11:27 - Jul 3 with 2205 viewsEsox_Lucius

Surely with our precarious finances ATM, taking a chance isn't the way to go with someone who appears to be in decline... Rob Hulse? Also, a lower wage than he has been used to in recent years is hardly going to get him pulling up stumps is it?

The grass is always greener.

Chris martin on 12:41 - Jul 3 with 2111 viewsloftboy

Personally I would stick with smith, teams can’t cope with him, and I reckon after this World Cup referees are going to clamp down on the wrestling in the box big time, could win us a lot of penalties.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Chris martin on 13:33 - Jul 3 with 2034 viewsRs_Holy

Chris martin on 16:12 - Jul 2 by richranger

Been 'left behind' when Derby go on 'warm weather' overseas trip. Is speculation that is because he is coming to us soon. Or maybe it's because he's shite.

Relax....Fat Frank says he's injured!
Chris martin on 14:09 - Jul 3 with 1971 viewsMyke

I think the signing of Leistner indicates that Penrice is fully operational and we are trying to do things the right way. Signing one 'aging has been' (if it even happens) is not indicative that we are reverting to old bad habits. McLaren knows he has to hit the ground if not running, then ambling along nicely and it's a pretty tough set of opening fixtures. We do need added experience (not necessarily up front but generally) and sometimes managers go back to players they know in order for a quick fix. Especially in this day and age when if you lose 3 on the bounce you are under pressure. McClaren himself, is not the most popular choice so won't get much time from the fans if we get off to a poor start. As has been pointed out elsewhere, nobody was too impressed when Warnock went back for Hill and Derry and now they are club legends. Nelson had no knees yet was voted our best player despite leaving half-way through. It's impossible to predict how it will pan out if we do sign Martin - would we get the Martin at Derby, or last year's version? Maybe Martin would score 20 goals for us and Leistner could be a useless lump - who knows. But I do know that WHOEVER we sign, we must give them our full SUPPORT - that what SUPPORTER means right?
Chris martin on 17:56 - Jul 3 with 1853 viewsDorse

Chris martin on 16:12 - Jul 2 by richranger

It's because nobody wants to sit next to him on the coach. Whilst he eats 14 steak bakes. And half a dozen scotch eggs. In 40 degree heat.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024