Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please 16:08 - Jul 20 with 3036 viewsBoston

......Becontree, pronounced as spelled or pounced up to Beacontree? Fank ewe in advance.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 16:32 - Jul 20 with 2993 viewsdolcelatte

The former

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 16:37 - Jul 20 with 2981 viewscolinallcars

There are many of these. Ruislip pronounced Ryslip. Soughgate as Southgt, Coventry as Cuventry and so on. I suppose even the inhabitants pronounce them different ways.
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 16:41 - Jul 20 with 2965 viewsstevec

Nottin ill has both a silent g and h, as I profess to any tw*t who says 'ooh you grew up there, quite a posh area'.
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 16:42 - Jul 20 with 2959 viewssuperstan

Beaconsfields pronounced Beckonsfield, I do like to wind the locals up.
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 16:50 - Jul 20 with 2940 viewshopphoops

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 16:42 - Jul 20 by superstan

B'cun tré.

Not a Brexit shoehorn, but why isn't it Farridge rather than Faraaaage? Cryptofrancoponce.

Far Corfe.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 17:24 - Jul 20 with 2902 viewsterryb

And just down the road it is pronounced High Wickham instead of Wye Comb.

I always thought Becontree was pronouced as Beckon Tree (probably based on Beckonsfield), but then I always get confused as to whether it is Play Stow or Pla Stow!
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 18:13 - Jul 20 with 2857 viewskingo

I have had many a discussion about the way to pronounce Beaconsfield, and as a resident I can confirm it is locally called Bekonsfield. Apparently it is to do with Disraeli, who was made Earl of Beaconsfield and the locals didn't want to be associated with him so started to pronounce the town as Bekonsfield.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 19:01 - Jul 20 with 2831 viewssmegma

Chelsea is pronounced 'you feckin racist cants'
Login to get fewer ads

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 19:13 - Jul 20 with 2820 viewscolinallcars

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce Theydon Bois and Hainault on the Central Line ?
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 19:33 - Jul 20 with 2809 viewsNoDiddley

From Petticoat Lane to Benfleet via Bow so I consider myself an expert on the matter.
But the one that always got me was Harwich.
HARWITCH to me but No it's HARIDGE.
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 19:50 - Jul 20 with 2785 viewsGroveR

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 16:41 - Jul 20 by stevec

Nottin ill has both a silent g and h, as I profess to any tw*t who says 'ooh you grew up there, quite a posh area'.

When asked whither from I hail, "Grove" is usually sufficient. One wit once rejoined "Arnos?" necessitating my correcting him with a Grove throwing star (large glass pub ashtray)*

* this account may not be strictly factual.
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 20:03 - Jul 20 with 2772 viewsloftboy

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 17:24 - Jul 20 by terryb

And just down the road it is pronounced High Wickham instead of Wye Comb.

I always thought Becontree was pronouced as Beckon Tree (probably based on Beckonsfield), but then I always get confused as to whether it is Play Stow or Pla Stow!

It’s where I live nowadays, I always called it Play stow but have been reliably informed by life long residents that it’s pla stow

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 20:54 - Jul 20 with 2732 viewsGroveR

Theydon Bois = Theydon Boys
Hainault / West Ruislip = I'm so drunk I've shìt myself and been back and forth several times, please take this bank card, get me home and ignore the cerebal palsy impression going on in the back.
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 22:23 - Jul 20 with 2675 viewsStanisgod

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 20:54 - Jul 20 by GroveR

Theydon Bois = Theydon Boys
Hainault / West Ruislip = I'm so drunk I've shìt myself and been back and forth several times, please take this bank card, get me home and ignore the cerebal palsy impression going on in the back.

Bowie or Bow e

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 22:43 - Jul 20 with 2647 viewsBoston

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 22:23 - Jul 20 by Stanisgod

Bowie or Bow e

Bow...E3 I believe.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 04:01 - Jul 21 with 2585 viewseastside_r

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 19:13 - Jul 20 by colinallcars

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce Theydon Bois and Hainault on the Central Line ?

It seems I should be on this thread.

As has been pointed out it's definitely an ekk sound in Becontree and not a an eek.

Theydon Bois whilst obviously derived from the French is definitely 'boyz', although when I was growing up it was considered a bit posh so people from other surrounding areas often used the French pronunciation to mark it out / slag it off.

Hainault is correctly pronounced phonetically although see Wikipaedia which is quite good on these things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainault,_London

Plaistow is definitely 'plarrstow' rather than playstow' as Loftboy has stated.

I can bore for England on this stuff

Kind regards, your East London / Essex correspondent
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 07:39 - Jul 21 with 2533 viewscolinallcars

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 04:01 - Jul 21 by eastside_r

As has been pointed out it's definitely an ekk sound in Becontree and not a an eek.

Theydon Bois whilst obviously derived from the French is definitely 'boyz', although when I was growing up it was considered a bit posh so people from other surrounding areas often used the French pronunciation to mark it out / slag it off.

Hainault is correctly pronounced phonetically although see Wikipaedia which is quite good on these things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainault,_London

Thanks for that. Although I've always pronounced them as you indicate, I always wondered if it was Theydon Bwar and Eeno.
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 08:17 - Jul 21 with 2510 viewsMoonshineSteve

Beek-on-tree.

Area was named after the heath - Beacontree Heath - but legend has it that when London Transport started running a bus service they couldn't fit that on their signs so just put Becontree. This is now the name of the Tube station.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 09:12 - Jul 21 with 2474 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Wrotham in Kent always used to confuse me (rootem). Also Meopham (Mepem). Finally Godalming in Surrey which is actually easier and less offensive than you think (God-all-ming).
[Post edited 21 Jul 2018 9:15]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 09:25 - Jul 21 with 2459 viewsstowmarketrange

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 04:01 - Jul 21 by eastside_r

How about milngavie?Its a place just outside Glasgow and it’s pronounced mulguy.
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 10:45 - Jul 21 with 2408 viewsloftboy

For years I called Bicester as by ses ter. Instead of Bis ter almost as bad as the yanks trying to say Leicester properly

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 17:46 - Jul 21 with 2307 viewsRebalhoop

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 10:45 - Jul 21 by loftboy

For years I called Bicester as by ses ter. Instead of Bis ter almost as bad as the yanks trying to say Leicester properly

My Mrs.still calls it By ses ter
We have a Hungarian driver comes to our factory a lot,he calls Slough. Sloo ga
Saying that his English is far better than my Hungarian
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 00:35 - Jul 22 with 2178 viewsDWQPR

My favourite whisky from the distillery of Bruichladdich which is actually pronounced Brook Laddie.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 01:27 - Jul 22 with 2156 viewshubble

Two Mexican escapees from a Trump detention centre (let's make it topical) dying of hunger in the desert suddenly spy a tree laden with bacon.

What ees it? Asks Manuel.
Ees a bacon tree! Miguel replies.

Manuel holds back while Miguel runs towards it, when all of a sudden machine gun fire rakes the ground in front of him. He turns round and screams, Ees not a bacon tree, ees a ham bush!

Coat etc.
East London / Essex Linguistic Help Please on 06:44 - Jul 22 with 2119 views18StoneOfHoop

Showing-off expensive education Posh Toffs Old Etonian Rees Mogg Borises in SheBu
are always good at this sort of thing
Did you all know for EG
Toff dancing groups The Chumleys and the Fanshaws are spelt
The Cholmondleys and the Featherstonehaughs?

CLASS WAR ~ EAT THE RICH! ~ IF U CANT TALK PWOPAH,SHUT YER MAARF!
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 6:49]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024