Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Kick up th Rs 07:35 - Jul 21 with 10859 viewsdavman

Clive - sticky?

As with all printed media, sales of our beloved fanzine are falling to around 1/3rd of its peak a few years back. I found myself a lapsed subscriber and only re-discovered my interest on a few occasions last season, mainly through seeing Julie every home game outside the Lower Loft, rain or shine, selling, both before and after the game.

Clive and daveb are regular contributors (or they were last season) and there is rarely a dull issue (with our club and it's curse, there is always something to write about).

Anyway, Dave Thomas had a choice to make this season and has, thankfully decided to continue, even though it appears that he is running at a loss.

AKUTRS is such an institution around our club and has been around for about 30 years now. If you haven't looked at an issue recently, you should do; it is professionally produced and is a damned good read with content around a subject close to all of us.

I intend to re-subscribe for this season and I urge you all to think about doing so to get the numbers back up.

If interested, details are at http://www.akutrs.com/subscriptions/4593974993

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

A Kick up th Rs on 08:27 - Jul 21 with 9499 viewsstowmarketrange

I always buy my copy from Julie too,or maybe at the odd away game from Dave himself.
Well done for advertising this on here as it would be a great loss to us fans if all the hard work involved were to be wasted if Akutrs went to the wall.
He started his 100 club to raise funds last season and I did subscribe for the lower amount,but nothing seems to have come out of my account yet,so I will have to contact him again soon.

There are very few clubs lucky enough to have a Dave Thomas as a fan of their clubs and willing to put so much of their time and effort into producing a fanzine for as long as he has been doing,and I’d miss it if it wasn’t there any more.
And it is only about £4 a month to buy every issue.Or just over 1 coffee a month.Whats not to like about that?
A Kick up th Rs on 10:08 - Jul 21 with 9317 viewsloneranger1

Just to echo what's said above...

AKUTRs is always fantastic reading and great reflections and opinions on the state of things at the club now, as well as interesting/nostaligic pieces about the club in years gone by, informative for younger readers like myself : )

I'll keep buying my issue at every game I can get to, which is the best I can do - 12/13 times a season ends up pretty close to a subscription : )

I'd urge anyone who's never bought an issue to buy one at the start of the season to at least give it a try... As pointed out above, some of the regular posters on here, as well as Clive, are regular contributors - if you find yourself nodding your head in agreement often when reading Loft for Words, you're guaranteed to enjoy AKUTRs!

Come on you RRRRs
A Kick up th Rs on 10:39 - Jul 21 with 9263 viewsBklynRanger

Good post. I always preferred buying AKUTRs over the actual programme. Suppose I'd got out of the habit but will make more of an effort this season.
A Kick up th Rs on 10:54 - Jul 21 with 9215 viewsstowmarketrange

A Kick up th Rs on 10:39 - Jul 21 by BklynRanger

Good post. I always preferred buying AKUTRs over the actual programme. Suppose I'd got out of the habit but will make more of an effort this season.

I gave up on the programme a couple of seasons ago.I normally buy 1 from an away game that I go to but the information in the home ones can mostly be found elsewhere anyway.
My Mrs is pleased as my collection of old ones has stopped growing so much.
A Kick up th Rs on 01:51 - Jul 22 with 8747 viewstimcocking

When i manage to go, i always get one.
A Kick up th Rs on 08:39 - Jul 23 with 8382 viewsconnell10

I buy one whenever a new issue is on sale from the man himself outside South Africa road. I really like it apart from that terrible stuff that Simon Dorset writes!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

A Kick up th Rs on 09:42 - Jul 23 with 8279 viewsGloucs_R

Went to buy a magazine to take on holiday at the weekend.....unless you want to be told you're fat, you eat poor food and even if you were into fitness...you are doing it wrong....(Mens Health) then the choice is non-existent.

Safe to say that the world has changed.

Poll: Are we staying up?

A Kick up th Rs on 09:46 - Jul 23 with 8276 viewsShunter

Thanks for posting, just became a first time subscriber
Login to get fewer ads

A Kick up th Rs on 10:42 - Jul 23 with 8171 viewsRs_Holy

I buy a copy whenever I go to HQ but seeing as I don't attend every game it looks like its time to subscribe!
[Post edited 23 Jul 2018 14:09]
A Kick up th Rs on 13:00 - Jul 23 with 7938 viewsR_from_afar

I bought my first one recently and it is an excellent read. Good analysis, unusual angles, passionate, professional .

RFA
[Post edited 23 Jul 2018 13:01]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

A Kick up th Rs on 09:27 - Jul 26 with 6898 viewsDannyPaddox

The Zamora Day Edition was class. Reviving the much-loved chequerboard well before the offish did. I bought one before the game on the day on Wembley Way feeling like Charlie (Bucket not Austin) visiting the chocolate factory. Rangers wouldn't be the same without AKUTRs

[Post edited 26 Jul 2018 13:03]
A Kick up th Rs on 12:40 - Jul 26 with 6820 viewssimmo

Clive always ends up buying one but based on this and Daves twitter thread I am going ot make a point of picking one up outside the ground on matchdays. As above it's an instuitution and bloody good work, be a massive shame to lose it.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

A Kick up th Rs on 13:24 - Jul 26 with 6781 viewsfrancisbowles

A Kick up th Rs on 12:40 - Jul 26 by simmo

Clive always ends up buying one but based on this and Daves twitter thread I am going ot make a point of picking one up outside the ground on matchdays. As above it's an instuitution and bloody good work, be a massive shame to lose it.

I used to buy it but with all the stuff online I stopped.

However, I agree with Antti that we need to support it and I will be purchasing again on match days.
A Kick up th Rs on 21:02 - Jul 26 with 6645 viewsNoDiddley

A Kick up th Rs on 13:24 - Jul 26 by francisbowles

I used to buy it but with all the stuff online I stopped.

However, I agree with Antti that we need to support it and I will be purchasing again on match days.

I love Dave to bits & I’ve written about a dozen articles over the last 20 years or so, these were based on QPR experience’s which he has published. Now I’ve run out of stories & there lies the problem. It’s no good having a fanzine which reports on last weeks defeat & throws in a quiz & say Clives, Simon Dorset & Dave B’s opinion. That does not attract the masses, it needs contributors there’s enough wordsmiths out there to drop Dave a line with a ‘witty’ story or just a QPR rambling.
A Kick up th Rs on 23:16 - Jul 26 with 6611 viewsLblock

I’ll be buying again
Above the RRP as well

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

A Kick up th Rs on 11:50 - Jul 27 with 6467 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good call, Davman.

I've just subscribed for the first time in...well, quite a while.

Used to write for Dave back in the 90's and was the Loft seller for quite a few years.

Great fanzine and a cornerstone of our culture.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A Kick up th Rs on 19:59 - Jul 27 with 6298 viewssmegma

I bought issue # 1 at Charlton in 1987 and have purchased every single issue since. I had my first article published in issue # 3 and contributed for about the first 5-6 years. Best QPR fanzine by a country mile and there were a few in the old days. In The Loft, whatever happened to Harold Prosser??. The mad and surreal Ooh I Think Its My Groin. The editor still has a ST in the upper loft. The cool Beat About The Bush. The esoteric All Quiet On The Western Avenue, whatever happened to the youngest fanzine editor Peter Doherty eh ?? Then there was the bonkers The Whingeing Donkey. I hear the editor want to Oz, sold his soul, came back and settled on the Isle Of Man as a tax exile and now owns Dorset. He's done very well for a Crass fan . Still talks like an acid casualty.
A Kick up th Rs on 12:35 - Jul 28 with 6111 viewsNoelmc

I can't quite match Smegma but I've certainly purchased 300+ of the 340 odd issues. It's part of my match day routine, purchasing one from DT on South Africa Rd around 20 minutes before kick off. It's a great read and well worth the price.

It's fantastic news that DT is continuing with it and if supporters can afford it I'd recommend the associated 'Friends of AKUTRs' 100 Club which help subsidise it.
A Kick up th Rs on 08:55 - Jul 29 with 5855 viewsEsox_Lucius

A Kick up th Rs on 21:02 - Jul 26 by NoDiddley

I love Dave to bits & I’ve written about a dozen articles over the last 20 years or so, these were based on QPR experience’s which he has published. Now I’ve run out of stories & there lies the problem. It’s no good having a fanzine which reports on last weeks defeat & throws in a quiz & say Clives, Simon Dorset & Dave B’s opinion. That does not attract the masses, it needs contributors there’s enough wordsmiths out there to drop Dave a line with a ‘witty’ story or just a QPR rambling.

That's a very good point and on the drive to Rangers and back to Banbury, Dave and I often discuss old games/ old grounds etc. but it is more akin to two old farts sitting in the snug of a bar discussing the good old days at times but is it the sort of thing that would drive new subscriptions and more sales? I understand the nostalgia that the tale of playing head tennis with a ball on the terraces at Gigg Lane one night and Tony Roberts sending the ball back into the crowd before an over officious policeman told him to stop doing it might crinkle the corner of the mouths of those who were there but is it the stuff of fascinating reading? What would people like to see more of? are there any old features that have gone but fans would like to see back? the cartoon for instance? Probably my all time AKTURS gold moment was the edition with the Dominic Iorfa "Spot The Ball" competition and you had to mark a point on two pages of the Shepherds Bush area A-Z where you thought the ball was after one of his shots. Pure comedy genius but would only mean anything to anyone who had watched Dominic Iorfa (worth every penny of the entrance money IMO) play. I guess that Dave is suffering the effects of social media giving a platform to anyone and everyone who has an opinion on QPR and AKTURS is no longer a tool to feed one's appetite for all things QPR related and, most certainly, it can't provide the immediacy that a lot of the casual fans crave. /stream of consciousness ramble :-)

The grass is always greener.

A Kick up th Rs on 20:23 - Jul 29 with 5713 viewsNoDiddley

A Kick up th Rs on 08:55 - Jul 29 by Esox_Lucius

That's a very good point and on the drive to Rangers and back to Banbury, Dave and I often discuss old games/ old grounds etc. but it is more akin to two old farts sitting in the snug of a bar discussing the good old days at times but is it the sort of thing that would drive new subscriptions and more sales? I understand the nostalgia that the tale of playing head tennis with a ball on the terraces at Gigg Lane one night and Tony Roberts sending the ball back into the crowd before an over officious policeman told him to stop doing it might crinkle the corner of the mouths of those who were there but is it the stuff of fascinating reading? What would people like to see more of? are there any old features that have gone but fans would like to see back? the cartoon for instance? Probably my all time AKTURS gold moment was the edition with the Dominic Iorfa "Spot The Ball" competition and you had to mark a point on two pages of the Shepherds Bush area A-Z where you thought the ball was after one of his shots. Pure comedy genius but would only mean anything to anyone who had watched Dominic Iorfa (worth every penny of the entrance money IMO) play. I guess that Dave is suffering the effects of social media giving a platform to anyone and everyone who has an opinion on QPR and AKTURS is no longer a tool to feed one's appetite for all things QPR related and, most certainly, it can't provide the immediacy that a lot of the casual fans crave. /stream of consciousness ramble :-)

Glad you ‘agree’
You can see in Dave’s demeanour that he’s struggling to make the numbers up.
A few years ago you could catch up with a chat, but last season I found him “ ok mate” & looking for the next £4 as if his life depended on it.
Crying shame after all the years of hard work & devotion.
Unfortunately I don’t know the answer.
A Kick up th Rs on 23:09 - Jul 30 with 5423 viewsBoston

A Kick up th Rs on 08:55 - Jul 29 by Esox_Lucius

Judging from the size of the average Rangers fan, the odd recipe wouldn't go amiss.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

A Kick up th Rs on 23:11 - Jul 30 with 5422 viewsBoston

....and yes, I always buy one when I'm around.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

A Kick up th Rs on 09:31 - Jul 31 with 5344 viewspaulparker

i always buy one when I go as its habit but I always preferred in the Loft back in the day,
personally speaking as sad as it is I think its time they gave it up, most of the stuff in there now isn't controversial its match reports and mostly stuff you can read on here if needs be , fair play for keeping it going 31 years it was the life line for most fans rather than the programme or clubcall but with forums and such you can all you need on the internet

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

A Kick up th Rs on 18:20 - Jul 31 with 5180 viewsAshdown_Ranger

I generally find it a good read, but there's so much that could be improved on.

In the spirit of constructive criticism...

Design is pretty dull - from uninspiring covers to poor text layout worthy of a parish newsletter - a better designed magazine would help attract advertisers.

It's largely preaching to the converted - loyal fans who have grown up with it and it's part of the match-day ritual and their own personal QPR heritage. But there is very little that would appeal to anyone under 50 as they stroll up South Africa Road and take a swift glance at an AKUTRs seller's wares...

The quality of writing and humour AKUTRs alludes to on the website is all well and good - but if they do nothing to attract new and younger readers, I can't help feeling readership will continue to dwindle.

The website is equally uninspired - it shows nothing of the magazine, or sample articles. It should fire up the imagination and pique the interest of any/all QPR fans, whether from White City or Melbourne.

There are no offers for annual subscriptions. Of course, they need to cover costs, but usually buying a subscription means the cost per issue is reduced - AKUTRs is actually more expensive on postal subscription. Maybe that's just the economic reality of their situation, but surely a guaranteed sale of 12 issues per year compared to a possible 2, 3 or 4 purchases per year on match days. After all, a bird in the hand is worth two in the (Shepherds) bush.

If they can't afford to provide a discount, maybe a low-cost but unique subscription gift of some description?

Anyway, good luck to Dave and hope he can keep things going.
A Kick up th Rs on 17:06 - Aug 9 with 4901 viewsDaveClayton

A Kick up th Rs on 18:20 - Jul 31 by Ashdown_Ranger

I generally find it a good read, but there's so much that could be improved on.

In the spirit of constructive criticism...

Design is pretty dull - from uninspiring covers to poor text layout worthy of a parish newsletter - a better designed magazine would help attract advertisers.

It's largely preaching to the converted - loyal fans who have grown up with it and it's part of the match-day ritual and their own personal QPR heritage. But there is very little that would appeal to anyone under 50 as they stroll up South Africa Road and take a swift glance at an AKUTRs seller's wares...

The quality of writing and humour AKUTRs alludes to on the website is all well and good - but if they do nothing to attract new and younger readers, I can't help feeling readership will continue to dwindle.

The website is equally uninspired - it shows nothing of the magazine, or sample articles. It should fire up the imagination and pique the interest of any/all QPR fans, whether from White City or Melbourne.

There are no offers for annual subscriptions. Of course, they need to cover costs, but usually buying a subscription means the cost per issue is reduced - AKUTRs is actually more expensive on postal subscription. Maybe that's just the economic reality of their situation, but surely a guaranteed sale of 12 issues per year compared to a possible 2, 3 or 4 purchases per year on match days. After all, a bird in the hand is worth two in the (Shepherds) bush.

If they can't afford to provide a discount, maybe a low-cost but unique subscription gift of some description?

Anyway, good luck to Dave and hope he can keep things going.

Hello - I would like to chime in here in defence of Dave.

"In the spirit of constructive criticism...
Design is pretty dull - from uninspiring covers to poor text layout worthy of a parish newsletter - a better designed magazine would help attract advertisers." - that's like "i don't mean to be rude, but..."

So, AKUTRs started over 30 years ago. As a fanzine. Always put together by Dave over more hours than I can believe he puts in. On a very old Mac and a very old version of Quark and Photoshop. And that is still Dave's set up. Still making a fans 'zine. Not FourFourTwo or the matchday magazine, put together by a team.

Over the years the existance of fanzines has become less popular and 100s have fallen by the wayside, so much content and opinion is online. Dave is also not a web designer nor a graphic designer. He has made everything that exists with the best of intentions and the lowest resources.

Sales have dipped, Dave knows that, he not only has to manage print costs but he drives from Bolton to all home games and most aways to watch QPR and sell the fanzine wherever possible to make a scrap of a living and cover costs. The older fans know what AKUTRs is about and have grown up with it. Yes, it would be amazing to produce full colour, slick design and with a fully responsive website. But that all costs money and Dave is not a designer, he's a fanzine editor who relys on support, articles and people recommending it. This is and has been his life for 30 years and he still keeps going. Luckily he does have people helping him. The "uninspiring covers" are often put together at the last minute to keep with the tongue in cheek format of every edition, a poke at something related to QPR news, sometimes funny, sometimes tenuous but done in a fanzine frame of mind.

My reason for defending this - I have helped Dave with design and done all the cover images over the past 10 years, trying to keep it fanzine looking and not matchday programme looking - in fact one year the AKUTRs was done in a font that the programme also chose - we changed. It's meant to have that Private Eye feel or When Saturday Comes.

I am a also graphic designer of 25+ years, I design, teach and write for design and training platforms internationally and for book publishers - Dave knows this and yet we often talk of ways to improve design that's manageable for Dave's setup. We also discuss sales avenues such as social media, I would love to switch Dave to InDesign, Creative Cloud and a brand new iMac and fully responsive website options but it's Dave that makes this with his own hands.

So really in defense of Dave's commitment and his progression given the circumstances, I and others know we get a rough and ready, skin of his teeth and flying by the seat of his pants editions but its made with love, passion and commitment. I will take that over anything else for as long as he keeps AKUTRs going. Kids don't know what fanzines are and are still more likely to buy the matchday programme, so its us older fans and our grown up kids who know its relevance in 2018. Dave has always tried to keep it advert free but finally relented to keep the mag going but he still doesn't want it full of ads.

What Dave needs is more articles, people speaking well of the mag, sharing its existence online and appreciating why it even exists.

Sorry for the rant but it's easy to belittle 30 years of hard work with no solid, achievable solutions to help Dave and not demoralise his efforts. I am firmly in his corner and have his back, that may show in my response but it's all too easy to criticise and not know how that makes him feel - he's read this post.

Thanks for reading ;)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024