Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Relegation doom and gloom 20:55 - Aug 13 with 4210 viewsEalingHoop81

Having not as yet seen us play this season I clearly can’t comment first hand on performances however the overwhelming doom and gloom over the past 10 days is staggering. I get that we have been pretty poor, lacked much of a goal threat, had the same sort of issues Olly had with half time changes etc but are we really a relegation team? Yes I hear some people cry, probably those same people who kept on crying out for Olly to be sacked or for Fernandes to sell up etc (better the devil you know and all that) but on what basis?

Our team is weak at the back and can’t score goals? Our team is physically weak and is getting bullied, our team is full of nice lads who can’t do the dark arts as well as other teams?

Okay, so all of those may or may not be true over a 46 game season, but and this is the crucial part, where did we finish last year and the season before that? Safe of relegation, never anywhere near the relegation zone in fact, even two years ago when we went through two horrendous loosing spells we didn’t get anywhere hear it.

So if those sides stayed up fairly comfortably and last year certainly was comfortable, is our team any weaker than then? Yes I hear some cry look at who we have lost, well yes, Ned is a huge loss both on and off the pitch, by Leinster has, in his short QPR career done very well by all accounts. Smithies, clearly an absolutely class keeper, but equally we have two keepers that all our managers have rated extremely highly. Whilst Ingram’s distribution has been pretty poor so far is he really the reason we are terrified of league 1? Perhaps the elisive Jack Robinson, missing for 3 years and then plays pretty well for the best part of half a season, much of which was covering the injured Ned? James Perch, the man whom regularly tried, in Northern’a words to ‘kill a man to death’ in his attempts at tackling and was generally pretty woeful at right back? Or the beloved Jamie Mackie whom despite being an absolute QPR hero, had a failrly minimal impact over the past 12 months.

Compare the losses with the incomings, this time a year ago we had barely even loaned Eze out to league 2, nor had we seen anything from Paul Smyth, Darnell Furlong was a sub at best, Osayi-Samuel was barely in the squad. These players are an improvement to the squad and with the exception of Mackie leaving I cannot thing of a single other attacking player that we have lost. In which case this shot shy team of nailed on relegation candidates are in fact a new Number 10 Messiah (tongue firmly in cheek) and our most recent Norhern Irish international better than we were a year ago. I seem to recall us scoring goals last year.....

So if my assessment of the squad is right, loaning a bit of experience, perhaps a Rangel, a CB and a striker and we will in fact have a squad that is potentially far stronger than last year. So I really really don’t see the need for the massive overreaction to loosing a couple of games.
Relegation doom and gloom on 21:27 - Aug 13 with 3471 viewsLowerloftLad

a cup match followed by West Brom away its just glooming up I'm afraid with our cup and away stats

[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 21:32]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Relegation doom and gloom on 21:50 - Aug 13 with 3399 viewsLeedsR

It’s early days yet, the club is in the situation it’s in because of what it has done in the recent past. The days of flashing the cash are long over and we are heading back to what QPR have always been about: punching above our weight, occasionally giving the big boys a bloody nose, unearthing some gems that we then sell on at a good profit, playing some decent football on the way and being active in the community.

Now I for one am really thankful that Hoos and “Evil”Les are in charge. To me, they have a real grasp of the situation and just imagine what it would been like had they been in charge when we did have some money.

It’s all going to take time. These players need time to gel together, and considering their relative youth and inexperience, they are likely to get it more wrong than right initially. I think there is real potential in the squad and with a few astute loan signings, we should be able to compete.

So, I’d like to think as supporters we’d get behind the club and team and support them!! In the words of Delia “Let’s be having you!”
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 21:50]
Relegation doom and gloom on 22:48 - Aug 13 with 3273 viewskensalriser

We were two goals away from relegation season before last - if we'd drawn the home game v Forest, we would have gone down.

If you think that's nowhere near, I'd love to hear your definition of what is near!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Relegation doom and gloom on 02:28 - Aug 14 with 3182 viewstimcocking

As Kensal just pointed out, we were within a whisker of going down having lost half a dozen consecutuive games a couple of times straight under Ollie. That's before we lost three of our best four players. We're weaker since then, and younger, and trying to implement new systems. Whilst almost everybody else has been trying to improve their squads.

January transfer embargo, no money, no training ground, one of the smallest stadiums in the league. The knowledge that the league persecutes QPR deliberately every chance they get. Refs too usually. Fan disharmony and dissatisfaction continues. Costs rising. Chelsea flying, Fulham in the premier league, even Brentford laughing at us.

And the world's most apalling pink (?) kit.

So on that basis i should think.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 3:23]
Relegation doom and gloom on 07:18 - Aug 14 with 3056 viewsPunteR

Relegation doom and gloom on 02:28 - Aug 14 by timcocking

As Kensal just pointed out, we were within a whisker of going down having lost half a dozen consecutuive games a couple of times straight under Ollie. That's before we lost three of our best four players. We're weaker since then, and younger, and trying to implement new systems. Whilst almost everybody else has been trying to improve their squads.

January transfer embargo, no money, no training ground, one of the smallest stadiums in the league. The knowledge that the league persecutes QPR deliberately every chance they get. Refs too usually. Fan disharmony and dissatisfaction continues. Costs rising. Chelsea flying, Fulham in the premier league, even Brentford laughing at us.

I like the pink kit.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Relegation doom and gloom on 07:28 - Aug 14 with 3035 viewsEsox_Lucius

The pink is nice. I bought the shirt Saturday and so far have only received compliments for it. It must be a perceived testosterone thing.

The grass is always greener.

Relegation doom and gloom on 07:45 - Aug 14 with 3000 viewsEalingHoop81

Ah I see, so when we finished comfortably last season, not having been anywhere near the relegation zone did we play in a bigger stadium and have our very own training ground? In fact I think those same concerns would have blighted the 2010/11 side. Those issues have absolutely no impact on whether this team will be relegated.

2 years ago we were closer to going down than last year and we strengthened that team considerably - Scowan, Freemen, Smith etc and since then a number of excellent prospects from our youth team have broken into the side.

We appear to finally be closer to the planning permission for the new training ground and the club are pushing hard to develop the LC stadium.

We’re on a far better financial footing having resolved the FFP isssue and have an excellent CEO, a decent scouting network, and in Sinton and Les we have people who really care about the club.

I’m actually very positive about the progress we have made.
Relegation doom and gloom on 07:51 - Aug 14 with 2992 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Relegation doom and gloom on 07:18 - Aug 14 by PunteR

I like the pink kit.

I'm still in a quandary over it.

Not because of it being a pink kit, but because from where I'm sat, it's not actually pink, it's f.....g fuchsia!

Fuchsia is a bloody awful colour. On the one hand, it's not got the minerals to be red, and on the other, it's not comfortable enough with it's own sexuality to actually be, pink!

Have we a money ripping-off third kit per chance?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Relegation doom and gloom on 08:23 - Aug 14 with 2939 viewsconnell10

Relegation doom and gloom on 07:51 - Aug 14 by PlanetHonneywood

I'm still in a quandary over it.

Not because of it being a pink kit, but because from where I'm sat, it's not actually pink, it's f.....g fuchsia!

Fuchsia is a bloody awful colour. On the one hand, it's not got the minerals to be red, and on the other, it's not comfortable enough with it's own sexuality to actually be, pink!

Have we a money ripping-off third kit per chance?

Your better off buying the keepers top black and silver very smart! Unlike the pink effort which is puke!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Relegation doom and gloom on 08:49 - Aug 14 with 2898 viewsQPR_John

Relegation doom and gloom on 21:50 - Aug 13 by LeedsR

It’s early days yet, the club is in the situation it’s in because of what it has done in the recent past. The days of flashing the cash are long over and we are heading back to what QPR have always been about: punching above our weight, occasionally giving the big boys a bloody nose, unearthing some gems that we then sell on at a good profit, playing some decent football on the way and being active in the community.

Now I for one am really thankful that Hoos and “Evil”Les are in charge. To me, they have a real grasp of the situation and just imagine what it would been like had they been in charge when we did have some money.

It’s all going to take time. These players need time to gel together, and considering their relative youth and inexperience, they are likely to get it more wrong than right initially. I think there is real potential in the squad and with a few astute loan signings, we should be able to compete.

So, I’d like to think as supporters we’d get behind the club and team and support them!! In the words of Delia “Let’s be having you!”
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 21:50]

"we are heading back to what QPR have always been about: punching above our weight, occasionally giving the big boys a bloody nose, unearthing some gems that we then sell on at a good profit, playing some decent football on the way and being active in the community. "

If only, I'm afraid those days will never return until FFP is abolished.
Relegation doom and gloom on 09:18 - Aug 14 with 2856 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Relegation doom and gloom on 07:45 - Aug 14 by EalingHoop81

Ah I see, so when we finished comfortably last season, not having been anywhere near the relegation zone did we play in a bigger stadium and have our very own training ground? In fact I think those same concerns would have blighted the 2010/11 side. Those issues have absolutely no impact on whether this team will be relegated.

2 years ago we were closer to going down than last year and we strengthened that team considerably - Scowan, Freemen, Smith etc and since then a number of excellent prospects from our youth team have broken into the side.

We appear to finally be closer to the planning permission for the new training ground and the club are pushing hard to develop the LC stadium.

We’re on a far better financial footing having resolved the FFP isssue and have an excellent CEO, a decent scouting network, and in Sinton and Les we have people who really care about the club.

I’m actually very positive about the progress we have made.

Agreed. As Clive continuously pointed out on here last season the Championship is a dogs dinner of a league at the best of times where any team can beat the other. We've lost TWO games by the odd goal and could have quite conceivably won 4-1 on Saturday but for the SU keeper. Let's see where we are at Christmas and in the meantime get a grip and get behind the team.
Relegation doom and gloom on 09:47 - Aug 14 with 2784 viewsLythamR

Relegation doom and gloom on 09:18 - Aug 14 by Silverfoxqpr

Agreed. As Clive continuously pointed out on here last season the Championship is a dogs dinner of a league at the best of times where any team can beat the other. We've lost TWO games by the odd goal and could have quite conceivably won 4-1 on Saturday but for the SU keeper. Let's see where we are at Christmas and in the meantime get a grip and get behind the team.

Indeed. its is time for us to gird up our loins
Relegation doom and gloom on 09:56 - Aug 14 with 2772 viewsdaveB

The second half on Saturday was a worrying performance but I don't think you can judge a side properly until about 10 games in. We played Ok in the first half and are likely to add some players in the next few weeks.

I still think we'll finish around 15th/16th this season but say that with less confidence than I had a year ago as the league looks stronger this year but one win changes everything so I wouldn't write the team off yet.
Relegation doom and gloom on 10:29 - Aug 14 with 2699 viewsLeedsR

Relegation doom and gloom on 08:49 - Aug 14 by QPR_John

"we are heading back to what QPR have always been about: punching above our weight, occasionally giving the big boys a bloody nose, unearthing some gems that we then sell on at a good profit, playing some decent football on the way and being active in the community. "

If only, I'm afraid those days will never return until FFP is abolished.

QPR_John, I wasn’t meaning that we were there yet, hence “heading back”. As I said, it will all take time, but at least it looks like that we are finally goIng about the business in the right way. Rather than abolishing FFP, I’d say make it it fit for purpose ie stop protecting the “big” teams. Unfortunately until one of the big teams collapses, that’s not going to happen very soon either.

In the meantime, call me old fashioned and so on, but let’s get behind the club! COYRS!!!
Relegation doom and gloom on 10:46 - Aug 14 with 2657 viewsQPR_John

Relegation doom and gloom on 10:29 - Aug 14 by LeedsR

QPR_John, I wasn’t meaning that we were there yet, hence “heading back”. As I said, it will all take time, but at least it looks like that we are finally goIng about the business in the right way. Rather than abolishing FFP, I’d say make it it fit for purpose ie stop protecting the “big” teams. Unfortunately until one of the big teams collapses, that’s not going to happen very soon either.

In the meantime, call me old fashioned and so on, but let’s get behind the club! COYRS!!!

Did not read it that way and I agree with you about the way we are going just do not think under the current system of FFP we will ever reach there. Think of all the players that have graced the blue and white hoops how many of that calibre would we be able to attract now. Even if we did they would be off at the first opportunity to the financial promised land of the PL.
Relegation doom and gloom on 11:57 - Aug 14 with 2616 viewsWestbourneR

Lost me at 'having not yet seen us play this season I clearly can't comment'

You really should have stopped there because, to quote you, you can't comment.

Watch a game and then have an (informed) go at the 'doom and gloom'. Not before, that's just a bit silly.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Relegation doom and gloom on 12:17 - Aug 14 with 2578 viewsEalingHoop81

Relegation doom and gloom on 11:57 - Aug 14 by WestbourneR

Lost me at 'having not yet seen us play this season I clearly can't comment'

You really should have stopped there because, to quote you, you can't comment.

Watch a game and then have an (informed) go at the 'doom and gloom'. Not before, that's just a bit silly.

What absolute nonsense.

If you are going to quote me, get it right - I said I can’t comment on performances - I didn’t go on to discuss performances I discussed the wider points about how we were shaping up in comparison to the past two years. Perhaps you should be less quick to stop reading thinking you know the rest.

As an aside on your basis of thinking no one would ever be able to have a view unless they saw something first hand. So for example having not met or directly seen first hand what Hitler, Starlin or Poll Pot did no one could possibly comment.....
Relegation doom and gloom on 12:28 - Aug 14 with 2548 viewsconnell10

You can watch the full 90 mins with comms on the offy mate.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Relegation doom and gloom on 12:41 - Aug 14 with 2522 viewsDando

Might sound harsh at this stage of the season, but for me Ingram is where the problems all start. Yes, there are other weak areas but there is a sense of no confidence whatsoever with him in goal and I think this rubs off on the whole defence in particular. No presence, slow to distribute the ball, and stays on his line. Playing short passes out from the back for the sake of it, rather than using sense of when is a good and bad time to do it.

Just feel we need a more confident keeper in goal, with more presence and would love to see Lumley given his chance. Im not sure any of us can name one game where Ingram has looked good despite him being "rated" amongst staff. Lumley, at least we know got raving reviews when out on loan
Relegation doom and gloom on 12:43 - Aug 14 with 2516 viewssimmo

I was much more optimistic a few weeks back when I expected us to have at least 1 more CB and a little bit more strength in depth elsewhere (specifically left back and up front), but I wasn't expecting relegation when the deadline came and went.

The next few weeks in the loan market are really important. If we get Hall back playing regularly, get a striker that can hold the ball up and start to see people be a little more comfy with this new way of playing, i'll stick with the original 14th - 16th prediction. But I have to say atm, with no January options available, I think we'll be cutting it very close this year.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Relegation doom and gloom on 14:52 - Aug 15 with 2308 viewsTacticalR

Flo Lloyd-Hughes put it well on the QPR Podcast:

'We look exhausted and it's the beginning of the season...we shouldn't feel like this...we're playing like it's the end of the season...we're dragging our feet along the ground, we look miserable.'

Air hostess clique

Relegation doom and gloom on 15:21 - Aug 15 with 2256 viewsJuzzie

As was pointed out here on a LFW report, we haven't lost our opening two league games, outside of the top flight, since 1970. In all those seasons we've either gone up, gone down, been top half, been mid-table, been lower half.

Basically, it means nothing. Yes, having a few points on the board already would be nice but as with any season, it's around Christmas that usually alludes to how things may pan out.
Relegation doom and gloom on 15:29 - Aug 15 with 2237 viewsPinnerPaul

Relegation doom and gloom on 02:28 - Aug 14 by timcocking

With all due respect you do over egg your argument sometimes

'Chelsea flying' Really? Don't think many of their fans think so and anyway, remind me when we were last a better team in terms of league position than them - that's hardly 'breaking news' is it?

Also really don't see how IF we had conceded two more goals in a match 18 months ago has any bearing on the present team.
Relegation doom and gloom on 15:40 - Aug 15 with 2221 viewsrobith

I've not been able to see us as my dumb brother got married on the first home game, but my only real worry is that thus far we've been unlucky, which is far and away the biggest traits of relegated teams
Relegation doom and gloom on 17:21 - Aug 15 with 2134 viewsessextaxiboy

Relegation doom and gloom on 12:17 - Aug 14 by EalingHoop81

What absolute nonsense.

If you are going to quote me, get it right - I said I can’t comment on performances - I didn’t go on to discuss performances I discussed the wider points about how we were shaping up in comparison to the past two years. Perhaps you should be less quick to stop reading thinking you know the rest.

As an aside on your basis of thinking no one would ever be able to have a view unless they saw something first hand. So for example having not met or directly seen first hand what Hitler, Starlin or Poll Pot did no one could possibly comment.....

Top marks for drawing an analogy between 2 football matches and Adolf Hitler ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024