Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cousins 21:59 - Aug 14 with 3919 viewsconnell10

I thought he looked good in the preseason games and by all accounts had a good game tonight. I think it’s time he got a start in a league game.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Cousins on 22:37 - Aug 14 with 3638 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Loads of energy and didn’t look like a man with leg muscles made of candy floss.

Passing not triffic but no ones was really.
Cousins on 00:05 - Aug 15 with 3433 viewsoldmisery

Well it's all about opinions and I thought he had a very poor game tonight. Josh Scowen had to put in a real shift to cover for Cousins, who was bang average in the first half and non-existant in the second. I thought we really missed Massimo Luongo this evening.
Cousins on 02:16 - Aug 15 with 3325 viewstimcocking

No question he's the stand-out athlete in the squad. I bet they did a QPR sports day, he'd clean up. Mass isn't too quick or athletic or strong. Cousins would offer more of a physical presence and we always seem to be a lot smaller and slower than the other team.

Is he as tidy with the ball as Mass, though? To me, Luongo isn't perfect as a holding player only. If we're setting up with a 2-3-1 in attack for example, he's probably not better than Cousins at that role. Mass comes into his own further up the pitch where he's a pretty good player, more skill and vision than Cousins.
Cousins on 08:08 - Aug 15 with 2974 viewsHunterhoop

I think Cousins competes with Scowen. Manning with Luongo and Freeman.

Have both Scowen and Cousins in the team together and we have too little skill on the ball, passing ability and vision for me. Whereas Cousins can sit in front of the back 4, and break up play when it comes near him.
Cousins on 08:36 - Aug 15 with 2869 viewsconnell10

But isnt he the strong midfielder this team is crying out for? I think he is a good player who deserves a chance.

Cousins on 08:40 - Aug 15 with 2850 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Cousins on 08:08 - Aug 15 by Hunterhoop

I think Cousins competes with Scowen. Manning with Luongo and Freeman.

Have both Scowen and Cousins in the team together and we have too little skill on the ball, passing ability and vision for me. Whereas Cousins can sit in front of the back 4, and break up play when it comes near him.

Those five are the reason QPR won't be relegated this year for me.

We're very strong in CM.
Cousins on 08:47 - Aug 15 with 2826 viewsWatford_Ranger

I think he looked ok and no more against a woeful midfield on the night. After all this time with us I still don’t know what he’s actually good at.

Against the lumbering giants of West Brom I’d like us to be as mobile as possible.

Scowen MotM for me.
Cousins on 09:13 - Aug 15 with 2746 viewssimmo

Scowen absolutely incredible, not sure why we'd demand he plays 90mins as he was shattered by the end and currently our most important player, but he was everywhere last night.

Cousins also had a good game IMO, considering it's one of the few times he's done a full 90mins for a good while. He was getting a foot in, moving into space to give passing options (especially for Kakay) and covering at RB and RW when Kakay and Pav were out of position. Decent return and good depth in CM as back up for Luongo. If he actually gets fully fit I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a big part this season, at last...

Also little mention for Pav and Kakay who showed glimpses of what could be a good partnership on the right. Pav rarely goes outside his man which is furstrating but with Kakay always looking to overlap I think they dovetail quite nicely. I'd keep Wzsolek on that right hand side for West Brom and move Freeman to the left personally, but nice that players have taken their opportunity to give us more options and stake a place

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

Cousins on 09:22 - Aug 15 with 2680 views00calben

Without wishing to come across all ITK - McClaren has been on George Thorne's case all summer & apparently George has now agreed to join on loan.

Was very surprised when I heard this as we have so many options already in that position. If it does happen, wonder whether one of the others will depart on loan
Cousins on 09:53 - Aug 15 with 2554 viewsDorse

Cousins = this season's Sandro?

I know, I know, I'm banned.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Cousins on 10:00 - Aug 15 with 2537 viewsquickpassrotter

Cousins on 00:05 - Aug 15 by oldmisery

Well it's all about opinions and I thought he had a very poor game tonight. Josh Scowen had to put in a real shift to cover for Cousins, who was bang average in the first half and non-existant in the second. I thought we really missed Massimo Luongo this evening.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. This was an opportunity for Cousins to put a marker down. He is a big physical lad - something that we are crying out for - but did not make an impression. Don't know if it's the formation or the role in midfield for him but at times the game passed him by. Somehow, McC and staff need to get the best out of him as we have seen in the past (particularly at Charlton) how effective he can be.
A bit of a conundrum me thinks.
Cousins on 10:07 - Aug 15 with 2507 viewsdaveB

I thought Cousins did OK, overall it was a much better performance.

Scowen was very good as was the German. Pawel had a decent game and added some balance to the midfield so we have some real natural width and that allowed Freeman to find more space. Washingtons movement was very good in the first half but he faded in the second.

Also really liked Lumley, no doubt he'll be first choice keeper soon his kicking was far better than Ingrams
Cousins on 11:12 - Aug 15 with 2302 viewsenfieldargh

Cousins was OK but I thought and think Ryan Manning has more to offer.

Not writing JC off at all as in time he's a good prospect

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Cousins on 11:30 - Aug 15 with 2246 viewsnix

I was practically on the touch line, so difficult to see how individual players were doing but didn’t think Cousins was great considering he was playing against a division one midfield who weren’t particularly imposing, compared to, say Sheffield United. He also seems to have a tendency to commit fouls in not especially dangerous positions, which can cause more problems to our defence than he would by just pressurising the player. I’m not sure he’s great at some of the basics that Massimo does which he doesn’t always get credit for: closing down space, interceptions, showing for the ball, moving the game on by short passes. I know Mass didn’t do this well last Saturday but I noticed it because he usually does IMO.

I didn’t realise Connor was involved in both the goals as couldn’t see well (every time we got into the penalty area, all our coaching staff stood up, so I could only see bits and pieces) so credit for that. But he still didn’t look like scoring himself and I agree he faded a bit.

Kakay looked pretty solid. And I would like to see Lumley get a chance in goal in the league. He just looks more composed with the ball at his feet so he works better with the system of playing out the back.

Good to see Grant Hall warming up on the sideline. Would so love to see him be able to have a run in the team.

Scowen got through a ton of work, he’s such a valuable player for us.
Cousins on 11:58 - Aug 15 with 2168 viewsWestbourneR

Cousins on 11:30 - Aug 15 by nix

I was practically on the touch line, so difficult to see how individual players were doing but didn’t think Cousins was great considering he was playing against a division one midfield who weren’t particularly imposing, compared to, say Sheffield United. He also seems to have a tendency to commit fouls in not especially dangerous positions, which can cause more problems to our defence than he would by just pressurising the player. I’m not sure he’s great at some of the basics that Massimo does which he doesn’t always get credit for: closing down space, interceptions, showing for the ball, moving the game on by short passes. I know Mass didn’t do this well last Saturday but I noticed it because he usually does IMO.

I didn’t realise Connor was involved in both the goals as couldn’t see well (every time we got into the penalty area, all our coaching staff stood up, so I could only see bits and pieces) so credit for that. But he still didn’t look like scoring himself and I agree he faded a bit.

Kakay looked pretty solid. And I would like to see Lumley get a chance in goal in the league. He just looks more composed with the ball at his feet so he works better with the system of playing out the back.

Good to see Grant Hall warming up on the sideline. Would so love to see him be able to have a run in the team.

Scowen got through a ton of work, he’s such a valuable player for us.

Cousins was a lovely idea when he was raw and young. Now he's just raw.

The main issue is the guy has nowhere near the level of passing needed to play centre mid. He's just not convincing in possession. The hammering vs Newcastle was just cruel to see. He looked like a man playing two leagues above his level. Ponderous, average touch, stodgy bobbly passing.

He is a great physical specimen, can look really spiky and strong... I can actually see why Ollie tried to shoe-horn him into wing back because I'd say that or at full back is the only place where he could get away with his skill set at this level. Sadly it didn't work. he didn't adapt.

Either that or plays an absolutely regimented defensive midfield and feeds the ball quickly and simply to ball playing centre mids. But I don't think he's got the positional discipline for it.

Overall, in a bloated squad of centre mids, there are much better options and I'd move him on. Career has stalled at Rangers.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Cousins on 12:25 - Aug 15 with 2106 viewssmegma

Jesus wept. Yet another post praising a player when the OP admits he wasn't even at the game???
Cousins on 12:32 - Aug 15 with 2084 viewssimmo

Cousins on 12:25 - Aug 15 by smegma

Jesus wept. Yet another post praising a player when the OP admits he wasn't even at the game???

I was there, thought he did well. People can't judge him against Luongo, etc, he hasn't had a run of more than 2-3 games in what seems like years and most of his appearances in the last 12 months have been outside his usual position.

Very harsh to judge him based on that. He's a really good squad player and more than good enough for our midfield, if he can only stay fit and get a run of games under his belt...

Cousins on 12:35 - Aug 15 with 2066 viewssmegma

Cousins on 12:32 - Aug 15 by simmo

I was there, thought he did well. People can't judge him against Luongo, etc, he hasn't had a run of more than 2-3 games in what seems like years and most of his appearances in the last 12 months have been outside his usual position.

Very harsh to judge him based on that. He's a really good squad player and more than good enough for our midfield, if he can only stay fit and get a run of games under his belt...

SO was i. I'm with Westbourne, I'd move him on.
Cousins on 12:54 - Aug 15 with 1996 viewssimmo

Cousins on 12:35 - Aug 15 by smegma

SO was i. I'm with Westbourne, I'd move him on.

I don't disagree but just think he's been unlucky. The season he came to us he played 42 games for Charlton in 1 season, but he hasn't managed that many in his whole QPR career yet. If you also take into account that when he has been involved he's been asked to play all over and not had a run of games, I think it's harsh to write him off just yet.

Let's see how he does from here, massive season for him and if he can't step up or stay out the physio office, then I agree it's worth cutting our losses with him.

Cousins on 13:13 - Aug 15 with 1939 viewsconnell10

Cousins on 12:25 - Aug 15 by smegma

I wasn't at last night's game but I saw enough of him in the friendly games to see he is a lot better than some people give him credit for!

Cousins on 13:27 - Aug 15 with 1890 viewsqprd

For Cousins, it was a game of two halves

In the first half, he really excelled. Helped break up play and was very involved in the buildup from deep lying positions. It also helped that Evans set up was clueless and made QPR look like Man City for extended spells. Cousins and Scowen both benefited from a wide open midfield that allowed them to collect the ball, turn and distribute with little to no pressure. Cousins excelled, but there will be no Championship matches where he'll have so much time on the ball. His first touch is a weakness. Will he have the time/composure to recycle the ball from deep as effectively against Championship clubs? I'm not sure

In the second half, he started moving further up the pitch. I'm assuming this was tactical. Eze oddly assumed a very deep role and Cousins started to creep out of the CDM role. He was actually leading the line at points and taking up advanced positions. He wasn't as involved in the defensive side in the second half.

On the whole, it was a good performance, but its hard to evaluate against a tactically inept (and crap) opponent

if he stays his fit, he's a great asset for the squad. With the midfield we've got, I don't see him starting ahead of Mass or Scowen (although Mass will be gone for the asia cup for a solid month). When the midfield is healthy, Cousins will likely be asked to play the role he played against Fulham away- to be the supersub midfield ball-winner/disruptor
who comes on when we're trying to preserve a lead/draw
[Post edited 15 Aug 2018 13:38]
Cousins on 13:28 - Aug 15 with 1889 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Don’t we have a good amount of cover at CM? Maybe loaning him out and giving him some time would do the trick, especially if the additional wages could help us snag an additional loanee of our own.
Cousins on 13:41 - Aug 15 with 1847 viewsqprd

Cousins on 13:28 - Aug 15 by EmpireStateRanger

Don’t we have a good amount of cover at CM? Maybe loaning him out and giving him some time would do the trick, especially if the additional wages could help us snag an additional loanee of our own.

The guy who needs a loan is Sean Goss

Yet again he is nowhere near the first team. He can realistically only play deep midfield, and he's behind Scowen, Mass, Freeman, Cousins, Manning, arguably chair and arguably Hall if he plays the position

hes probably on a decent wage, too

id loan chair and goss out. goss needs playing time. turns 23 in a month and only has 20 total senior appearances to his name. chair will benefit from a loan to league 1 where he can develop the physical side of the game and his very deficient left foot
Cousins on 13:44 - Aug 15 with 1836 viewssimmo

If we're cutting anybody loose it should be Goss, what a waste. A pampered, over-rated academy darling. He's 23 and has less pro appearances than years on this earth, its a joke.

Cousins on 13:59 - Aug 15 with 1799 viewsnix

Cousins on 12:54 - Aug 15 by simmo

I don't disagree but just think he's been unlucky. The season he came to us he played 42 games for Charlton in 1 season, but he hasn't managed that many in his whole QPR career yet. If you also take into account that when he has been involved he's been asked to play all over and not had a run of games, I think it's harsh to write him off just yet.

Let's see how he does from here, massive season for him and if he can't step up or stay out the physio office, then I agree it's worth cutting our losses with him.

Fair enough Simmo. Maybe being a bit harsh, I’d love to see him grow into the team. Just haven’t seen enough signs to be hopeful this might happen.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024